I can't get drunk??

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Well, actually, I can get drunk.....fairly easily...

but one of my friends, they cannot get drunk to save thier lives...

they, no ****, had like 8 shots, 2 beers, 1 wine cooler, and a mixed drink all in the span of about 40 minutes or so... and was only slightly beginning to get a buzz, and the thing is...they're not really a consistent drinker (meaning, only drinking every once in a while)

if I had that much, I would probly pass out, and need to have my stomach pumped. :eek:

So....the question I have is:

How can this person have such a high tolerance for alcohol, while at the same time being a "novice" drinker?

does it have something to do with how their liver processes the alcohol??

YJ, I would especially like your input on this since the human liver is one of your specialties.

Thanks ahead of time,

LG. :cool: 

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
theres a process where the liver sorta gelss so it takes more alcohol too get drunk(least thats the explanation i heard from a drunk biochem student..lol)

Inzah Dude

Awards
Is the guy fat? I think that can make a difference. And some people can just handle more alcohol then others.

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Inzah Dude
Is the guy fat? I think that can make a difference. And some people can just handle more alcohol then others.
She is not fat ;) ... I am just was curious as to how (in a technical way ;) )she can drink so much more than I can and not get wasted :(

Read: I wanna get her drunk so I can do her :D j/k

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
you know what it is LG...its the one wine cooler that counterbalanced the rest of the real drinks (ha). seriously though, i dont think the liver has to do too much concerning how much one must drink to get crunk, only the idea of being able to handle an X amount of alcohol able to withstand. body mass will help take in more, so would how long the dude been drinking. you can definetely build up tolerance. SHoot, i dont know the real scientific answer....just shooting the breeze. Sage

Inzah Dude

Awards
Were you with her afterwards or just for the time she was drinking? Cuz if she drank it all quick in 40 minutes then just started to feel buzzed, it liekly all started to sink in later on so as time went on she would get pissed as all the alcohol soaked in. See what I'm saying?

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Question Posted By: Roxane C-M on Tuesday, November 09, 1999

Although I am a PhD psychologist, I also finished nursing school and went three years in med school(yeah, hind sight is always 20/20, you should hear my farther). I tend to look at things from a bio-medical perspective(and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!) I evaluate/ diagnosis and recommend alternative sentencing in our court. Although I head a department, most of the people that work for me have a very staid line surrounding the dymanics of this disease. I was always tatught that a blood alcohol level above a certain level is a primary indicator of clinical tolerance for alcohol. ex. A BAl of .17 and showing no clear, articulated effects of the drug. OR.....having a BAL of .59(I have witnessed two folks), being conscious, somewhat lucid while keeping some control of muscles and no empting of the bladder. I was even more convinced of this BAL indicator after reading and digesting Dr. Schukitt's work. At times these level occur in young people without an articulated history(significant other)of "practiced drinking". Will you help me?

Answer Posted By: SA, M.D. - HVMA on Sunday, November 14, 1999

High BALs with little intoxication typically indicate tolerance which has been gained by regular heavy drinking. Nonetheless, Schuckitt's work does indicate some significant individual variation in folks who are not alcohol dependent. In some young people, self-report information is not all that reliable. Those are my thoughts in a nutshell.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Metabolic tolerance
A tolerance that results from a more rapid elimination of alcohol from the body is called metabolic tolerance. This type of tolerance is due to a specific group of liver enzymes that are activated after prolonged drinking. These enzymes increase the speed at which alcohol is broken down. As a result, this reduces the time during which alcohol is active in the body. Therefore, the time during which alcohol’s intoxicating effects are felt is shortened. A danger associated with this type of tolerance is an increased metabolism of some prescription medications, such as those used to prevent blood clotting and to treat diabetes. This increased
metabolism of the medications reduces the duration of their effectiveness, and this can cause harmful physical effects for
the drinker.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Tolerance and the Predisposition to Alcoholism

Studies have shown that tolerance can be influenced greatly by genetics. Research indicates that individuals who have
alcoholic parents were less impaired by alcohol, as compared with individuals who have nonalcoholic parents. Therefore, tolerance and the predisposition to alcoholism have been shown to be genetically linked.

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
She may not have a tollerance to high blood alcohol at all. Maybe the alcohol isn't reaching the blood. Perhaps the pyloric valve closes very quickly and no alcohol gets through fast enough to make her drunk. It possibly lets small amounts through at a time not allowing her to get drunk.

Does her stomache seem to get full when she drinks alot, like everything stays in there for a while?

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by windwords7
Metabolic tolerance
A tolerance that results from a more rapid elimination of alcohol from the body is called metabolic tolerance. This type of tolerance is due to a specific group of liver enzymes that are activated after prolonged drinking. These enzymes increase the speed at which alcohol is broken down. As a result, this reduces the time during which alcohol is active in the body. Therefore, the time during which alcohol’s intoxicating effects are felt is shortened. A danger associated with this type of tolerance is an increased metabolism of some prescription medications, such as those used to prevent blood clotting and to treat diabetes. This increased
metabolism of the medications reduces the duration of their effectiveness, and this can cause harmful physical effects for
the drinker.
This is exactly what I was thinking WW, and this makes sense, since she made like 6-7 trips to the bathroom to go urinate in the space of about 1.5 hours.

Thanks WW.

Inzah Dude

Awards
She may not have a tollerance to high blood alcohol at all. Maybe the alcohol isn't reaching the blood. Perhaps the pyloric valve closes very quickly and no alcohol gets through fast enough to make her drunk. It possibly lets small amounts through at a time not allowing her to get drunk.

Does her stomache seem to get full when she drinks alot, like everything stays in there for a while?
If your stomach does get real full when you drink lots, what does this mean?

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
Pyloric valve shuts not allowing anything to leave your stomache since the alcohol takes a long time to digest.

shpongled

Awards
Tolerance and the Predisposition to Alcoholism

Studies have shown that tolerance can be influenced greatly by genetics. Research indicates that individuals who have
alcoholic parents were less impaired by alcohol, as compared with individuals who have nonalcoholic parents. Therefore, tolerance and the predisposition to alcoholism have been shown to be genetically linked.
Bump this. That's what I think it is, unless she's a heavy drinker. I don't know the science behind it but according to my Dad (an alcoholic) alcoholics have a much higher tolerance to getting drunk especially when they start drinking. Does alcoholism run in your friend's family?

I doubt it is not reaching the bloodstream. Alcohol has a very high propensity for getting into the bloodstream, even through the mucous membranes in the mouth when you first swallow it (esp. hard alcohol).

Another possibility is a medication your friend is taking that blocks the neurological effects of alcohol... you should ask her what medications she is taking. This is relatively unlikely but possible IMO.

David

wardog

Awards
  • Established
Well, as someone who can down an entire bottle of Jack Daniels and not really feel it, I would agree, it is genetics or the stomach. When I drink, I do hit the mens room 7-8 times, so perhaps I am one of the lucky ones. I dated a girl like that who could match me shot for shot, and niether of us would get really drunk..so it has to ne someting either genetic or metabolic. Now I can do this with most hard alcohol. Wine, on the other hand, will hit me hard after 4-5 glasses, so go figure.

As far as getting her drunk to get laid..how pitiful can you be? If you need a girl to be fucked up to have sex with you, then what does that say about you? Personally, I have a rule I live by, and that is that the first time I am with a girl, she must be sober. After that, I really don't care. That rule started because I had a roommate who hooked up with a drunk girl...she claimed rape the next day. Charges were eventually dropped, yet his life was a living hell for about 6 months. Just isn't worth it to me.

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by wardog

As far as getting her drunk to get laid..how pitiful can you be? If you need a girl to be fucked up to have sex with you, then what does that say about you?
Hey man I was just joking around when I said that, I could never do that to a girl.  I was raised with WAY higher moral values than that.

I repeat: I was just joking

LG.

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by shpongled

...unless she's a heavy drinker. ....Does alcoholism run in your friend's family?
you should ask her what medications she is taking.
She is not a heavy drinker: she drinks maybe 1-2x a month, alcoholism does not run in her family, and, no she is not taking any medications (except for topical benzyl peroxide for her occasional break-outs)

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Lifeguard

no she is not taking any medications (except for topical benzyl peroxide for her occasional break-outs)

You have it baaddd for this girl. LOL! Only the guy playing the rold of the sensitive, caring, intouch with your feminine side, role would know this about a girl that he wasn't even dating!!! Let me guess you talk for hours on the phone?

Last edited:
Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by windwords7

You have it baaddd for this girl. LOL! Only the guy playing the rold of the sensitive, caring, intouch with your feminine side, role would no this about a girl that he wasn't even dating!!! Let me guess you talk for hours on the phone?
LOL!!! :D :D

Actually, we were together for a while.  That is how I know all these little "intimate" details about her ;) .... we're still really good friends.

wardog

Awards
  • Established

Hey man I was just joking around when I said that, I could never do that to a girl.  I was raised with WAY higher moral values than that.

I repeat: I was just joking

LG.
Good deal bro..just making sure..I know TOO many guys who DO think that way, and it really pisses me off. I apologize if I misunderstood you.

meee

Awards
I can't get drunk either!

I'm in my mid 50's and have never been drunk, not even a bit tipsy or slightly inebriated...totally sober my whole life. I'm not really a drinker, but I've always wondered what being tipsy or drunk feels like. The other day I drank the most I've ever drank ever! I had six screwdrivers (doubles) within maybe a couple of hrs. or less. The last couple I drank just like orange juice, pretty quickly. However, I felt nothing at all. It's like I never drank anything! What the heck is going on? I could probably drink ten doubles and not feel anything! I think I'm immune to alcohol...darn it!

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Windwords is pretty much dead on. I know some people underproduce the Class 1 Alcohol dehydrogenase enzyme. And pretty much one beer can screw them up the whole night... but there is always a paradigm to consider, so you can be sure that some people OVERproduce the Class 1 Alcohol dehydrogenase enyzme and metabolize alcohol at a extremely rapid pace.

Looks like everclear for her. :D

Adams

blackheart

blackheart

Awards
Careful -- She could in fact be VERY drunk, life-threateningly drunk, without showing it. Alcohol doesn't affect everyone in the same manner.

This can also be a problem for alcoholics or those with a history of alcoholism in the family. Part of the nueroadaptation of dependence is the brain's compensating for things you'd normally identify as the outward signs of intoxication.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Seriously, I'd kill to not have such high tolerance... I can easly drink about 18 beers in less than 2 hours and not be feeling bad at all, still have control over everything, etc.

Is it sweet to be able to hold your lichor? Yeah, kinda. The problem is, if I want to feel a little buzzed I have to spend a sh!t load of money.

I'd go back to being buzzed on the 6th beer anyday.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This has got to be the oldest bumped thread I have even seen. Congratulations meee! :D

DAdams91982 is correct.

In alcoholics or alcoholism it is a later stage of progressive tolerance. Unfortunately very often as you get further into the later stages of alcoholism the liver begins to under produce. IOW the same amount or less alcohol will produce increased intoxication. It's a very good sign that the end of your drinking days may be coming to a close...if you are lucky.

meee

Awards
I wouldn't be so quick to congratulate me, B5150. I just want to get tipsy at least once in my life, just to know what it feels like. I have a very high curiosity, so this is killing me. I also can't seem to be hypnotized either, so I'm not a happy camper!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some of us draw the short straw I guess.

Seriously, have you ever had a need for any liver testing. It would be interesting to see a liver profile of someone with your tolerance to alcohol.

triplehtown

Awards
I have an abnormal tolerance to alcohol in general. I had to have a physical for a new insurance company and had a basic blood test. Apparently they found something and went further with a liver enzyme test. They ended up doing the test three different times. They thought I had hepatitis (I was not jaundiced), a bacterial infection, or something else. Long story short they found nothing wrong in general but really high enzymes. Maybe that's linked to the drinking, I dunno. But I'm also not one of the rapid pissers, that takes me a while as well.

meee

Awards
A few weeks ago, I decided to try drinking 10 shots of tequila (Jose Cuervo). This stuff is 40% alcohol and it's the worst tasting stuff ever, but nevertheless, I drank 10 shots in about an hr. and a half. I took a shot about every 10 minutes or so. I was somewhat unsteady on my feet, but didn't fall over. That's about it. Everything else was pretty normal. Talked normal, could think normal, I even surfed the net and posted messages with no problem at all. Didn't throw up or even felt like it. No hangover next morning, just a wee bit of a sensitive stomach so I ate breakfast real slow, but I never felt like throwing up. No headache, nadda.

So I think I've officially quit trying to get drunk. I'm done.

Griff55

Griff55

Banned
Awards

they, no ****, had like 8 shots, 2 beers, 1 wine cooler, and a mixed drink all in the span of about 40 minutes or so... and was only slightly beginning to get a buzz, and the thing is...they're not really a consistent drinker (meaning, only drinking every once in a while)

if I had that much, I would probly pass out, and need to have my stomach pumped. :eek:

How can this person have such a high tolerance for alcohol, while at the same time being a "novice" drinker?

YJ, I would especially like your input on this since the human liver is one of your specialties.

Thanks ahead of time,

Dude i used to drink all the time and then lost 46 pounds of what im pretty sure was the beer weight and now i cant hold a 6 pack...

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
A few weeks ago, I decided to try drinking 10 shots of tequila (Jose Cuervo). This stuff is 40% alcohol and it's the worst tasting stuff ever, but nevertheless, I drank 10 shots in about an hr. and a half. I took a shot about every 10 minutes or so. I was somewhat unsteady on my feet, but didn't fall over. That's about it. Everything else was pretty normal. Talked normal, could think normal, I even surfed the net and posted messages with no problem at all. Didn't throw up or even felt like it. No hangover next morning, just a wee bit of a sensitive stomach so I ate breakfast real slow, but I never felt like throwing up. No headache, nadda.

So I think I've officially quit trying to get drunk. I'm done.

Thanks ahead of time,

Solution:
Replace all alcohol with VVVVVV

You effectively double the amount of alcohol you intake, double the amount of alcohol and there you go.

Jayburned

Jayburned

Banned
Awards
Despite whatever is said on here I know that those who imbibe to the point of being severe alcoholics get drunk easier as the liver is wasting and can process less and less efficiently the more it's abused. I have a friend who is a drunk and gets wasted on a sixer of pbr, it's the opposite of tolerance in relation to narcotics abuse.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You are correct in the aspect that once one has damaged or hindered the liver performance your tolerance does decrease.

That is usually in the latter stage symptoms of alcohol abuse (behavioral) and the beginnings of true alcoholism (physical). At this point continued use does take a turn for the worse, as the alcoholic usually does not regard this new tolerance and continues to drink at or beyond his previous rate.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
why is buying 6 cans of larger cheaper than 500 gms of bluberries.?
So much emphasis on eating the right foods over here-UK- which is endorsed by the GOVT and schools and top chefs, yet supermarkets seem to under ride all of it by promoting cheap booze, and all kinds of junk food.

TURUGBY

Awards
  • Established
instead of all that liquor tell her to try drinking only beer that quick, see what happens. I used to drink only liquor, no joke i could drink a bottle of vodka to myself and still go out and party and drink a few beers. I stopped drinking liquor (it makes me do stupid **** sometimes) and switched to beer. First time I drank beer only i was tanked around 13, tolerance is now really high again but my guess is it is a combo of the drinking of the liquor and some drinking genetics. If this doesnt work make a few zombies, they never fail.

Asata

Awards
I was googling and when I found this thread I had to register just to post this...

I'm 5'1, 105lbs, 25 years old. Since Highschool I've floated around 103-105lbs, to give you an idea of my fitness. And well anyways, I have an extremely high metabolism. It's basically like a hummingbird. I can eat pretty much anything and never gain weight. Back in Highschool I used to get a strawberry malt every day after school and I never gained a pound. Some friends could gain weight just thinking about food.

Anyways, I didn't register to post about that... I just figured that a little back history on my metabolism wouldn't hurt. I'm actually posting because like a few of the other posters here, I'm practically immune to alcohol.

I have never been drunk, or even felt tipsy. At most I've maybe felt a very slight buzz, at least I guess I did... I may have just wanted myself to feel something. I've never had any kind of change in my personality, speech, the way I think, muscle function or any of that though. The only exception being that I have to pee like crazy when I drink.

I've really tried my damndest to get drunk on several ocassions as well. To provide an example: An entire bottle of Crown which would be ~25 shots, in addition to several Smirnoffs (grape, cherry, green apple, etc.), several high point beers from some other state, and even a fair amount of tequila --- all of which in under an hour. Not even tipsy, barely a buzz.

So, I'll throw my towel in with the "practically immune to alcohol" crowd.

With that said, I'm not a drinker nor an alcoholic. I only drink maybe a few times a year (if even that!) and only socially. I've only tried to get completely hammered drunk ~4-5 times in my entire life and each time was a ridiculous amount of alcohol which had no effect.

My father, from what I'm told, was an alcoholic. He'd never be seen without something alcoholic in his hand. That is, until I was 3 or so... So, I'm guessing it's possible I may have inherited a high tolerance from him in addition to my really high metabolism (metabolic tolerance?).

The only other thing I can think of is that ever since I was little I had wine at least a few times a year... though nothing to write home about... just something like a nice d'Yquem at a family dinner or something, but I guess that could have contributed early on to building up a tolerance or something.

But yeah... I can't get drunk either. Oh and I'm definitely not diabetic. I'm very active and eat really healthy. I even stay away from sodas, and generally things with high fructose corn syrup, anything enriched, hydrogenated stuff, and a whole host of other unhealthy things. Actually, I'm probably abnormally active. Back in school I was doing all sorts of things... dancing, (a whole slew of different martial arts), track, swimming, gymnastics... I'm about as far from out of shape, fat, or unhealthy that you can get. Oh... I do have a big butt though, kinda like Kim Kardashian or something, and I have a DD cup. Dunno if either of those are relevant, but I think it's genetic too. Maybe my butt's eating all the alcohol hahaha!

Anyways... When I saw this conversation I felt compelled to register and post so I could share my inability to get drunk here too. It's kinda bizarre isn't it? I mean, I'm with that guy that posted earlier saying that it's disappointing. I mean, I'm naturally curious too... I'd at least like to know what it's like to get drunk. But I guess it doesn't really effect my life that much. It's not like I'd want to get drunk other than just to see what it's like at least once, so I'm not too bothered by it. It sure can be frustrating though not being able to...

Well, that's all I guess! If nothing else maybe I've helped mystify and stump anyone trying to figure out how such things are humanly possible even more! :D

WolfProphet

Awards
I realize just how old this is BUT I registered just to ask a quick question.
1st I'd like to state the fact of that I am also of those which walk around sober after a bottle of fireball and a bottle of Rum Chata (they make what is called the cum shot lol suprisingly real good) and 80-200 green ones without a dang buzz within 2hrs time. Although the peeing thing is a definite issue.
My dog got liver stones so I became a superhero and decided to place a bet to outdrink someone who didn't believe my "immunity". I finished the bottles and got 300 to pay for my dog's vet! (They passed out after 5 tall beers and 2 shots) I even gave them a chance to redeem themselves but they passed right back out. Anyways fun distracting story aside, How many of us are of 0 negative blood type? I've seen a ton of superior traits (from a higher tolerance against pollution to breathing easier in higher altitudes,) so Im wondering if it has any place in this ability as well.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
like a drunk who has had too much to drink , i think this thread should be put to bed ....for good.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jbatts77 Training Forum 3
Anabolics 42
Manuil Anabolics 37
Anabolics 18
Buffspartan General Chat 12