Another guy needing diet critique

Gym Freak

Awards
Hey everyone, I am just looking for some critiques on my diet I have been working on. I have been working out my entire life but have had many back injuries, two severely degenerated discs that have made lifting very difficult for the past year or so, on top of getting married and all the stress that comes with. I work out often I just an unable to do squats or dead lifts anymore, which really sucks. Anyways, my wife and I are going on our honeymoon in April due to schedules and unable to get off work. I would really like to get some abs popping out by then and I am at a point where if I kick up my work out intensity and eat clean until then, It can happen for sure. So I built this diet and I wanted some advice on if it was decent or not. Stats: 5' 11" to 6' on a good day. 200 pounds, I would estimate my body fat some where in the high teens to low 20s. The lowest I have ever been was 12% and I was weighing a week 150 pounds. I will be posting some pictures later so that I can probably be put in check on my body fat percentage, hoping im close but if you think I look like im 30, let me know. Anyways here is my diet, I was aiming for a 40-40-20 at 2400 calories, lifting 4 days a week and doing cardio 4-5 times a week switching between low intensity cycling and HIIT every other cardio session. I also ride a bicycle to work, school, and the gym. So here it is:

MEAL PLAN:
(6am-7am)Meal #1- 2 full eggs + 4 egg whites + 1/2 cup oatmeal
(Carbs-27 Protein-32 Fat- 13)

(9am-10am)Meal #2- 1 1/2 myofusion + banana + 1/2 cup oatmeal
(Carbs-62 Protein-43.5 Fat- 9)

(12pm-1pm)Meal #3- 1 cup brown rice + 1/2 cup carrot + 1/2 cup zucchini + 1/2 cup broccoli + 4oz chicken
(Carbs- 80 Protein- 43 Fat- 11 )

(3pm-4pm)Meal #4- 1 cup black beans + 1 zucchini + 4 oz chicken
(Carbs-45 Protein-46 Fat- 9)

(6pm-7pm)Meal #5- 2 cups lettuce + 4 oz chicken + 2 egg whites +2tbsp dressing(maybe dressing)
(Carbs-6 Protein-40 Fat- 10)

(8pm-9pm)Meal #6- 1 1/2 scoop myofusion
(Carbs-2 Protein-40 Fat- 2)

GOAL: Carbs-240g Protein- 240g Fat- 53g RATIO: 40-40-20
ACTUAL: Carbs- 222g Protein-244.5g Fat- 54 RATIO: 37-41-10
CALORIES: Carbs-888 Protein- 978 Fat- 486

Any advice will be extremely appreciated, thanks ahead of time! If you think my plan looks like ****, let me know!

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
Looks good, but do you know what your Base Metabolic Rate (BMR) is -- i.e., your maintenance calorie level? This is an important first step to figure out, because you will want to aim for a 300 to 500 calorie deficit per day. Just a warning though, your BMR will be particular to you -- it won't necessarily be the same as another person who is your same size.

Gym Freak

Awards
Looks good, but do you know what your Base Metabolic Rate (BMR) is -- i.e., your maintenance calorie level? This is an important first step to figure out, because you will want to aim for a 300 to 500 calorie deficit per day. Just a warning though, your BMR will be particular to you -- it won't necessarily be the same as another person who is your same size.
Based on the Harris Benedict my BMR with the exercise level I do now is about 3200, I am upping my exercise though, based on the planned exercise increase, my BMR would calculate to about 3625, so do you think the 2400 calories is going to be to much a deficit?

darsh89

darsh89

Awards
Based on the Harris Benedict my BMR with the exercise level I do now is about 3200, I am upping my exercise though, based on the planned exercise increase, my BMR would calculate to about 3625, so do you think the 2400 calories is going to be to much a deficit?
For good measure id pick a maintenance between those two amounts, lets say 3400 (on non lifting days this will obviously be lower). On lifting days shoot for 500 under, so right at 2900, macros: 350 protein, 225 carbs, 80 fat, or something fairly close to this. This will help you preserve muscle, if your way under (2400 would be 900 under) you will likely lose a good bit of muscle. On off days I would eat 300-400 cals less than on lifting days, I would accomplish this by dropping carbs do about 100-125 on off days. Also on off days let protein go down to 300 and bump up fat to 105

Eberly

Banned
Awards
I agree with you.

Eberly

Banned
Awards
Hey everyone, I am just looking for some critiques on my diet I have been working on. I have been working out my entire life but have had many back injuries, two severely degenerated discs that have made lifting very difficult for the past year or so, on top of getting married and all the stress that comes with. I work out often I just an unable to do squats or dead lifts anymore, which really sucks. Anyways, my wife and I are going on our honeymoon in April due to schedules and unable to get off work. I would really like to get some abs popping out by then and I am at a point where if I kick up my work out intensity and eat clean until then, It can happen for sure. So I built this diet and I wanted some advice on if it was decent or not. Stats: 5' 11" to 6' on a good day. 200 pounds, I would estimate my body fat some where in the high teens to low 20s. The lowest I have ever been was 12% and I was weighing a week 150 pounds. I will be posting some pictures later so that I can probably be put in check on my body fat percentage, hoping im close but if you think I look like im 30, let me know. Anyways here is my diet, I was aiming for a 40-40-20 at 2400 calories, lifting 4 days a week and doing cardio 4-5 times a week switching between low intensity cycling and HIIT every other cardio session. I also ride a bicycle to work, school, and the gym. So here it is:

MEAL PLAN:
(Carbs-27 Protein-32 Fat- 13)

(9am-10am)Meal #2- 1 1/2 myofusion + banana + 1/2 cup oatmeal
(Carbs-62 Protein-43.5 Fat- 9)

(12pm-1pm)Meal #3- 1 cup brown rice + 1/2 cup carrot + 1/2 cup zucchini + 1/2 cup broccoli + 4oz chicken
(Carbs- 80 Protein- 43 Fat- 11 )

(3pm-4pm)Meal #4- 1 cup black beans + 1 zucchini + 4 oz chicken
(Carbs-45 Protein-46 Fat- 9)

(6pm-7pm)Meal #5- 2 cups lettuce + 4 oz chicken + 2 egg whites +2tbsp dressing(maybe dressing)
(Carbs-6 Protein-40 Fat- 10)

(8pm-9pm)Meal #6- 1 1/2 scoop myofusion
(Carbs-2 Protein-40 Fat- 2)

GOAL: Carbs-240g Protein- 240g Fat- 53g RATIO: 40-40-20
ACTUAL: Carbs- 222g Protein-244.5g Fat- 54 RATIO: 37-41-10
CALORIES: Carbs-888 Protein- 978 Fat- 486

Any advice will be extremely appreciated, thanks ahead of time! If you think my plan looks like ****, let me know!
Still ,you are right way.But you needs to some change.

Gym Freak

Awards
I dont know how I can up my calories anymore right now, by meal 4, I am dieing because I am forcing myself to eat, any suggestions on how to put it down?

darsh89

darsh89

Awards
I dont know how I can up my calories anymore right now, by meal 4, I am dieing because I am forcing myself to eat, any suggestions on how to put it down?
if you are just starting this it will take a few weeks for your body to adjust to the meal schedule. In the mean time you can try this:

add in a scoop of protein at breakfast.

at meal 2, do you actually make the oatmeal and eat it? if not try just throwing it in your shake, and blending it up. you wont feel as full and be able to eat more.

substitute some whole wheat bread for beans, may make you feel less full.

add in 2 tbsp peanut butter at bed.

Gym Freak

Awards
if you are just starting this it will take a few weeks for your body to adjust to the meal schedule. In the mean time you can try this:

add in a scoop of protein at breakfast.

at meal 2, do you actually make the oatmeal and eat it? if not try just throwing it in your shake, and blending it up. you wont feel as full and be able to eat more.

substitute some whole wheat bread for beans, may make you feel less full.

add in 2 tbsp peanut butter at bed.
I would love to add some whole wheat bread instead of the beans, I was told that whole wheat bread, even though better than white bread, is still not a very good carb to consume? The first two meals are fine for me, I really run into issues with meals 3 and 4, my chicken is just so plain that I struggle to eat it, and its a lot of rice and beans. Any suggestions from anyone on some healthy and good chicken recipes, or an alternative protein source to put in. Last question, as far as the peanut butter goes, I was thinking the same thing, no issues with a high fat content on my last meal right before bed?

darsh89

darsh89

Awards
I would love to add some whole wheat bread instead of the beans, I was told that whole wheat bread, even though better than white bread, is still not a very good carb to consume? The first two meals are fine for me, I really run into issues with meals 3 and 4, my chicken is just so plain that I struggle to eat it, and its a lot of rice and beans. Any suggestions from anyone on some healthy and good chicken recipes, or an alternative protein source to put in. Last question, as far as the peanut butter goes, I was thinking the same thing, no issues with a high fat content on my last meal right before bed?
marinate the chicken in olive oil and a small amount of dressing and then grill it, baste small amounts of the marinade on it while its cooking. it will only add a very small amount of fat but makes a huge difference in taste. try a lower carb honey mustard, ranch and buffalo, caesar or somethign similar.

100% whole wheat bread is a perfectly fine carb source.

Also you can sub in pasta for rice if you want. Cut up chicken with whole wheat pasta and a little olive oil and seasoning taste great.

Having some fat before bed is a good thing

Gym Freak

Awards
marinate the chicken in olive oil and a small amount of dressing and then grill it, baste small amounts of the marinade on it while its cooking. it will only add a very small amount of fat but makes a huge difference in taste. try a lower carb honey mustard, ranch and buffalo, caesar or somethign similar.

100% whole wheat bread is a perfectly fine carb source.

Also you can sub in pasta for rice if you want. Cut up chicken with whole wheat pasta and a little olive oil and seasoning taste great.

Having some fat before bed is a good thing
I have a chicken rub that is just a bunch of spices that I could add to olive oil and let it marinate in that, maybe I'll give it a try tomorrow, thanks!

Gym Freak

Awards
I tried marinating my chicken in a little bit of olive oil, some chicken rub and minced onion, and just a touch of barbecue and then baked it for 20 minutes, It was/ is delicious.

darsh89

darsh89

Awards
I tried marinating my chicken in a little bit of olive oil, some chicken rub and minced onion, and just a touch of barbecue and then baked it for 20 minutes, It was/ is delicious.
good to hear. just be creative with your spices and sauces to change things up so you dont get bored. makes eating much more enjoyable.

pm me if you want any recipes

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
When it comes to making healthy food taste good, spices are your friend! Get creative and search Google for recipes helps a ton.

Gym Freak

Awards
So I just completed week 1 of the diet, starting weight was 201.8, I weigh once a week on Tuesday after my morning workout. I was unable to do any cardio last week due to a back injury, but just dieting alone I am down to 198 even this week. I felt good in the gym and had no strength loss, so overall my cut seems to be starting off well. Eating the meals is getting easier with some pointers on cooking a few things differently. Cravings for other foods all around me are pretty crappy due to family eating a lot of unhealthy but appealing foods. But I must say, the thing that kept me going through the first week without having any cheat meals was just focusing on the Tuesday weigh in, would have been tough to keep pushing on if I weighed in today at a higher weight. So for anyone else cutting out there, advice would be to take it a week at a time and focus on one thing. 3.8 pounds lost in a week really makes you want to see what you can do in week 2 with some cardio added. So I'll keep you guys updated!

Gym Freak

Awards
good results man, keep it up
Will do man, I am hoping to drop to about 185 and be sub 10%, If I have to drop more weight it will suck, but my main goal is sub 10%. I took some before Pics, I will post before and afters around 8 weeks.

darsh89

darsh89

Awards
Will do man, I am hoping to drop to about 185 and be sub 10%, If I have to drop more weight it will suck, but my main goal is sub 10%. I took some before Pics, I will post before and afters around 8 weeks.
dont put to much emphasis on the weight or the measurments, just go by how you look in the mirror

GameSpeed

Awards
man you got that sh@t down to a science. just put in the work at the gym, and you'll be shredded in no time. just stay on it!

Gym Freak

Awards
Side note did some slight editing to the diet with to help me with the boring stuff... Bold is stuff that was changed.

MEAL PLAN:

(9am-10am)Meal #2- 1 1/2 myofusion + banana + 1/2 cup oatmeal ( Cut out the banana on off workout days)

(12pm-1pm)Meal #3- 1 cup brown rice + 1 cup green beans + 4oz chicken

(3pm-4pm)Meal #4- 1 egg + 4 egg whites + 2 oz chicken + whole wheat tortilla

(6pm-7pm)Meal #5- 6oz chicken + 1 cup green beans

(8pm-9pm)Meal #6- 1 1/2 scoop myofusion + 2 tbsp natural peanut butter

Reasons: Sugar from banana unnecessary if I am not working out, Green beans in vegetable place because I like them more, chicken for 5th meal alone because I couldn't find a healthy dressing to make the salad tolerable, and peanut butter before bed with my protein to help slow down the digestion of the protein itself.

Input on the changes would be great.

toxic muscle

Awards
Try adding potatoes instead of rice or beans. If you bake you potatoes you can eat it a lot easier and faster than rice making it easier mentally. Its hard to sit there over the plat and it never seems to get smaller. Just a suggestion.

Gym Freak

Awards
I take a multi vitamin each day, GNC Ultra Green vitapak. Covers all my bases.

Gym Freak

Awards
Try adding potatoes instead of rice or beans. If you bake you potatoes you can eat it a lot easier and faster than rice making it easier mentally. Its hard to sit there over the plat and it never seems to get smaller. Just a suggestion.
I was just thinking that a potato would be delicious, does anyone have any suggestions on what type of potato, baked, red, whatever I should eat and a healthy good way to cook it?

darsh89

darsh89

Awards
I was just thinking that a potato would be delicious, does anyone have any suggestions on what type of potato, baked, red, whatever I should eat and a healthy good way to cook it?
baked sweet potato with a little cinnamon is good. A regular baked potatoe is fine also, but id try to make it closer to workouts, you can throw plain greek yogurt on it, taste like sour cream. Red potatoes cut and baked with a little olive on them work really well too especiallly if you want some healthy fats

Gym Freak

Awards
Alright week 2 complete, I got some cardio in this week, and I'm down to 194.6, so started two weeks ago at 201, and down to 194.6 in two weeks with all my lifts maintaining or gaining. So I am pretty content with the pace it is going at right now. Haven't even had a cheat day yet because the thought of eating something not in the plan makes me think about the extra work required to burn it off!

darsh89

darsh89

Awards
great progress man keep it up. dont be afriad of a cheat meal every once in awhile. its good to reward yourself and shock your body once in awhile. a good cheat meal post workout can be pretty beneficial

Gym Freak

Awards
I haven't done a cheat meal yet because I have been in such a groove with everything that I haven't had a dire need for one, yesterday was rough though with my brother bringing a full pizza over and eating it in front of me! I am very content with how everything is going though, I am thinking that my calories are going to have to be upped eventually though, because based on the numbers of calories I am putting in, and how much I am working out, my BMR would come out to that of about a 170 pound man. I would prefer to sit at 185 but am not going to stop when I get, I can always gain it back, but my thought is that I will keep doing this until I see my lifts drop, and the second I see that, calories will be increased.

Gym Freak

Awards
Sorry I have not been keeping this up to date, I am 36 days in, down 10 pounds. My gains have actually been increasing each week as well thanks to proper nutrition finally getting to them. Nothing is slowing me down now, I have the diet in check easy and Hawaii better watch out in a couple months, will be posting some 2 month photos in a couple weeks to see the difference, It will still be a work in process because I have realized that I was a lot fatter than I thought, but it is definitely getting there.