Sodium Help!

Jovee

Awards
Hat is the deal with sodium. I am following a high protein diet. But everything is loaded with sodium. I can't keep my sodium intake under 3000 on a 2300 calorie day.

Low sodium turkey breast - 480
Cottage cheese - 480

I finally found low sodium tuna - 35
Any recommendations?

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
rinse turkey breast, or drink more water and drop some carbs.

use ms dash seasonings.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
ms dash seasonings are no sodium seasonings.

I think they get the name from the DASH diet with low sodium intake.

so use those seasonings, buy raw foods. Rinse all food (for the most part) before cooking.

You dont need cottage cheese, sodium isnt usually the problem... why are you keeping it at that amount?

Jovee

Awards
I was told cottage cheese a a great source of protein especially nite snack?

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Hat is the deal with sodium. I am following a high protein diet. But everything is loaded with sodium. I can't keep my sodium intake under 3000 on a 2300 calorie day.

Low sodium turkey breast - 480
Cottage cheese - 480

I finally found low sodium tuna - 35
Any recommendations?
Switch the cottage cheese for plain greek yogurt - add 1/2 scoop of vanilla whey to it and some berries. This will give you comparable protein with lower sodium.

Try to find Dietz and Watson brand Gourmet no salt added turkey breast, it has i think 60mg salt per serving. I know they carry it at BJ's wholesale club, thats where I get it

Where is the rest of your sodium coming from?

Jovee

Awards
That Greek yogurt is so bad tasting. But I will try that. Maybe it will help the taste.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
How lean are you actually trying to get? Are you doing a show or photos or anything? Do you have problems with blood pressure?

If not, I'm not saying sodium isn't worth watching but your macro-nutrients are more important.

Jovee

Awards
Tuna, turkey, cottage cheese, and oatmeal. Although I just found low sodium tubs.

Jovee

Awards
No on any show. Just trying to lose about 10 more pounds. The scale will jump 3 to 5 pounds sometimes in one day! Then go back down.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
That Greek yogurt is so bad tasting. But I will try that. Maybe it will help the taste.
I also like to put 1tbsp natural unsalted peanut butter into a serving of the greek lowfat yogurt, and then I add 1/2 scoop of chocolate protein for peanut butter yogurt, I really love it.

Put cinnamon in the yogurt and anything else it would match with, it can help you to store carbs into the muscles.

The greek yogurts have probiotics which are great for digestion.

You can also add psyllium husk - one of the most underrated supplements out there.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Tuna, turkey, cottage cheese, and oatmeal. Although I just found low sodium tubs.
you can get low salt cottage cheese but good luck eating it....the only way I can get it down is with blueberries cinnamon and some stevia

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
No on any show. Just trying to lose about 10 more pounds. The scale will jump 3 to 5 pounds sometimes in one day! Then go back down.
Stop weighing yourself sporadically and make a schedule - Weigh in every Monday first thing in the morning and every thursday first thing in the morning only.

Hitting the scale too often will play with your head, because it is normal to fluctuate 3+lb through the day.

Think of this, if I weighed you first thing in the morning and you eat a bowl of oats, a protein shake made in water and you drank 20oz of green tea......your weight is going to change just like if I handed you all those things to hold onto while you were on the scale - you're just holding all of it in your GI system. As you drink and eat all day, your body is holding more "stuff" and obviously is going to weigh more.

Weigh in on Monday mornings because it will make you eat cleaner on the weekends, and weigh in Thursday to keep yourself honest in the beginning of the week. Keep an excel spreadsheet or something of your 2 weigh-ins per week, and break it into small goals. Every week hope to lose 1-1.5lb and you will be at your goal in 6-10 weeks depending on how clean you're eating. Good luck!

Jovee

Awards
Makes sense. I am tracking weight and daily meal and even calories burned from training & cardio. I have lost 15 in 6 weeks But the last 10 is killing me!

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Makes sense. I am tracking weight and daily meal and even calories burned from training & cardio. I have lost 15 in 6 weeks But the last 10 is killing me!
Don't get frustrated because you're doing great, man. There's a reason why most people aren't in impressive shape, and that's because its a long difficult process. Keep up the hard work, make sure you don't have more than a couple of cheat meals per week and alcohol should be minimal (and counts as a cheat).

Stop counting your calories you burn and just judge your workout by your level of exertion. I've been where you are before, and when you go too overboard with the fine details you always end up losing the big picture (I always did). Seeing how much you've lost already shows that if you keep a similar routine and eat right you will keep losing.

Keep the nose to the grind stone and I hope that helped!

Crush the lean protein!

Jovee

Awards
I also like to put 1tbsp natural unsalted peanut butter into a serving of the greek lowfat yogurt, and then I add 1/2 scoop of chocolate protein for peanut butter yogurt, I really love it.

Put cinnamon in the yogurt and anything else it would match with, it can help you to store carbs into the muscles.

The greek yogurts have probiotics which are great for digestion.

You can also add psyllium husk - one of the most underrated supplements out there.
I just tried the Greek yogurt with the protein and I threw in some raspberries. Good Call!! That was really good!
Tks..

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I just tried the Greek yogurt with the protein and I threw in some raspberries. Good Call!! That was really good!
Tks..
Great, I'm glad that helped!

1) It really tastes great,

2) You're getting 30+g of protein without any cooking involved

3) It contains probiotics

4) It is flexible. You can add other supplements to it, if you ever wanted to. I add 5g leucine right now, but you can also add 1 TBSP of Psyllium Husk for gut health/more fiber in general. If you're bulking you can add walnuts or slivered almonds, peanut butter or flax seed oil, more or less fruit, granola or oats, ground flax seed you name it.