NEED SERIOUS HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my92eghatch

Awards
Hello A.M. i am in serious need of help. i am 24yrs old i am 5'11'' and 275lbs. i am very overweight. my waist is like 48'' {don't know exactly}. i am not used to being this big. after being injured over seas coming back and separating from the military i let me self go. No time like the present. i need to lose massive pounds and inches. asap. SO if any one could help me with a cardio and diet plan i would greatly appreciate it. also any supplements, topicals, or other things you can suggest would be great. i wanna get big but i know i have to cut down alot first. PLEASE HELP.

jamesm11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You just need to diet first and foremost.

I'm not sure the caloric amount you should consume at that size, but start out cutting around 500 calories a day and track your weight.

Cardio might be hard at that size, but I'd recommend low intensity for up to 30 minutes max at first, probably start at like 10 and slowly work up.

If you really were military then you should have the discipline and sense of pride to fix yourself

alewisdvm

Awards
Hello,
Download a free program called My fitness pal.
It's a lot of work in the beginning, because you must track all the calories you eat. It gets easier as you input the data, since you eat certain things over and over again. It will determine based on your current normal daily activity how many calories you burn to maintain weight, and then it will help you to figure out how many calories you need to cut to lose a certain amount every week.

There is even a small community blog for support in losing weight.

It's excellent. I am trying to get from 176 to about 165. Not much, but without counting your calories, you'll never get losses.

I would also start some simple cardio. Daily walking, treadmill, elliptical. Anything! Any calories burned helps. Remember, its not about each day, but the total over a long period of time.

Good Luck

Also, don't increase the intensity on any machines you do. It may appear you are burning more calories, but if you get tired in only 10 minutes, you lost all the calories you could have burned at an easier intensity for 30 minutes.

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards
cardio is not necessary... working out intensely is.

You can just adjust your diet accordingly using the tools mentioned above and start working out regularly, work up to 5 days a week... then as the pounds come off you can incoperate cardio as well if you please.

PLENTY of fat burners and supplements out there but I wouldnt use any till you get to a tough spot and start to lose momentum then you have some extra help there to keep you moving.

GL and as you said, there is no time like now bro, you can do it.

BTW thank you for your service.

my92eghatch

Awards
thanks for the support. i know i should have been better disciplined. i plan on cutting calories to around 1750 daily. then i will cut carbs to about 25 - 30 daily. i was wondering if weight training and cardio or 1 over the other.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
no fat burners yet

Start a 3 meal a day diet 800 cals per meal.

focus meals on protein and fat, fillers are carbs. small amount in breakfast and lunch only

shoot for

275-300g protein, 150-175 carb and 80-110g fat coming from mainly oliver oil avacados macadamia nuts coconut oil and walnuts

choose lean protein.

highest protein meals should be breakfast and dinner to help manage leptin.

id suggest lifting weights again 4-5x a week and low intensity card for 30-45 minutes post workout to start.

examples of carbs to eat

sweet potato, broccoli, squash, quinoa, oats (if you can tolerate) whole wheat breads and wraps (read label carefully)

protein sources: lean turkey (try for 99% lean), london broil, salmon, PERDUE chicken breasts

my92eghatch

Awards
thanks i will add this to my diet plan. have started going to the gym but dont have a specific work out plan if any one could throw one at me i would appreciate it. i will begin implenting this plan on monday. plan to cut for about 12-16 weeks. i will re calculate bi-weekly to addjust the best plan for my body.

my92eghatch

Awards
also i want to start a weekly log on here is there a specific forum i would go under to post my progress

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
post in training forum

Monday Chest shoulders
Tuesday Legs
Wed off
Thurs Back
friday Arms
sat off
sun off

simple is key. Simplicity and consistency in the begining.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
adjust calories every month. if your doing what i listed (roughly), and then each month drop 50g carbs.

my92eghatch

Awards
weight training i'm thinking low-medium weight ....-medium-high set/rep. abs and cardio everyday. i am going to treat myself like i am in basic training to a certain extent. i will only eat certain thing at certain times. i will do my workouts in the morning when i wake up. and 3 hrs before i go to bed. after 3-4 weeks i will add a supplement to maintain energy as i lower the carbs. right now i plan on eating no more than 1,500 calories a day and drink 100-120 oz of water a day. i have a pre-workout that i am taking to motivate me. i will implement you plans onto my current worksheet i am drawing up.

my92eghatch

Awards
well i got my accurate results today. i am 5'11''/71" 290lbs neck=17.5", chest=45", around navel=48.5, around waist=46.5", hips=51.5", biceps=15", forearm=11.5", wrist=8", thigh=29", calf=17", ankle=10"...... calculated to approx. 36-38%BF. this is just terrible. when i was in the service 2 yrs ago i was 222lbs and i want to get down to atleast 215lbs now. i will start my log in the training forum soon. ready to get flamed but criticism fuels my fire to better reach my goals. and thanks. my fitness pal says i should eat about 1,920 calories a day. i will do that or less. and i will do cardio daily and weight training daily as well.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
lift heavy do big compound movements, then do a deload for a week with high reps after 6 weeks on the previous

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards
my fitness pal says i should eat about 1,920 calories a day. i will do that or less. and i will do cardio daily and weight training daily as well.
Don't drop too much too fat bro, you don't want your body to go into preservation mode n hold into fat instead of shedding it.

Gl hit this thread with a link to your log so we can egg you on!

alewisdvm

Awards
No way.
My goal is about 1650, to lose 1 pound per week, and I was weighing in at 176 when I started.

You are looking to drop weight too quickly!

my92eghatch

Awards
yeah i was thinkin' like around a pound a day.. i'm eating 3 eggs for breakfast. and alternating tuna , chicken, lean turkey for meats, and fruits and vegatables. not exceeding 50 grams of carbs a day and 1,900 calories. along with my daily workout plan.

jamesm11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
those calories are low for your size. you don't want to drop weight too quickly, it'll just rebound easier. you don't want to lose more than 2-3 lbs a week

jamesm11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
try closer to to 2500 calories and see how your progress is after a few weeks. if you drop too fast your body will stop dropping fat, because you're almost starting yourself, especially at that weight

my92eghatch

Awards
ok i will put a link 2morrow wen i start to my post in training forum

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards
^^^ huh? lol

bigsexy74

bigsexy74

Awards
  • Established
cardio is not necessary... working out intensely is.

You can just adjust your diet accordingly using the tools mentioned above and start working out regularly, work up to 5 days a week... then as the pounds come off you can incoperate cardio as well if you please.

PLENTY of fat burners and supplements out there but I wouldnt use any till you get to a tough spot and start to lose momentum then you have some extra help there to keep you moving.

GL and as you said, there is no time like now bro, you can do it.

BTW thank you for your service.

It's advice like this that only lets people work out for a short amount of time and then quit because they overdo it. I do agree with you on this for someone to advance themselves later, but for a beginning program, he could start off at just 3 days a week and see good progress and then adjust and add more in. To the OP, like someone else said, start with tracking your calories and figuring out what you're eating that's hindering your progress and adjust accordingly.

my92eghatch

Awards
okay. so i just gotta make sure i dont over do it right. i have been tracking my calories and i'm eating between 2,200 and 2,650 daily.

my92eghatch

Awards
hate to sound confusing but what i specifically wanna do is get my upper body stronger and bigger. and my waist and gut down to about 34" from the current 48" . but i wanna be strong and big as hell up top. should i bulk or cut 1st. don't really car about BF as long as its below like 20% which is down from current 36%. wanna get my thighs down as well. sorry for sounding confusing.

bigsexy74

bigsexy74

Awards
  • Established
okay. so i just gotta make sure i dont over do it right. i have been tracking my calories and i'm eating between 2,200 and 2,650 daily.
When i started at 300+ lbs, i was eating between 2400-2600 cal a day and losing 1 to 1.5 a week. I started out going balls to the wall and hit a wall in about 2 months. I simplified everything and made better progress and was able to stick with a program. Don't worry about "bulking" or "cutting" just focus on calorie intake and making changes to eat better foods, and focus on compound movements (bench press, squats) and go from there later on. It's a marathon not a sprint.

my92eghatch

Awards
okay. so i should get back in the mix and get comfortable. and then once i find out what works best for me implement it into my daily until it stops working and then change up again. since everyone and everybody type is different. does this sound about right. because i have been told continuosly that no matter what the most important thing is what and when i eat.

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards
It's advice like this that only lets people work out for a short amount of time and then quit because they overdo it. I do agree with you on this for someone to advance themselves later, but for a beginning program, he could start off at just 3 days a week and see good progress and then adjust and add more in. To the OP, like someone else said, start with tracking your calories and figuring out what you're eating that's hindering your progress and adjust accordingly.
uuuhhhh

you quoted my post but are you sure you meant to???
if so re read what I put....

i said work UP TO 5 days a week, NO CARDIO at first and Drop cals incrementally not drastically and save good fat burners for once plateaus and sticking points are reached.... ????

How is that something that would cause them to burn out of the bat? It specifically helps them ease into it and continue to progress

bigsexy74

bigsexy74

Awards
  • Established
uuuhhhh

you quoted my post but are you sure you meant to???
if so re read what I put....

i said work UP TO 5 days a week, NO CARDIO at first and Drop cals incrementally not drastically and save good fat burners for once plateaus and sticking points are reached.... ????

How is that something that would cause them to burn out of the bat? It specifically helps them ease into it and continue to progress
yup, misread it. apologies, i read it as saying work out 5 days a week.

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards

ianbell121

Awards
yeah i was thinkin' like around a pound a day.. i'm eating 3 eggs for breakfast. and alternating tuna , chicken, lean turkey for meats, and fruits and vegatables. not exceeding 50 grams of carbs a day and 1,900 calories. along with my daily workout plan.
you are going right dude. just have some more diet. do not eat junk food. when you eat egg in a day, then do not eat chicken or meat in that day.you calories are too much. decrease them to 700-800. as you do not wanna to loss wight quickly, so then start dieting first and then eat balanced food. hope it will help you a lot.

Rethink

Awards
You need to lose a lot of weight relatively quickly before you consider gaining muscle.

I recommend you try the subway diet. I had excellent results on the subway diet last year and can cite many reasons why its an excellent diet.

The main reason why its such an excellent diet is because its portion controlled. You never overeat because you know exactly what you are eating. The other main benefit of the subway diet is its very healthy food with lots of vegetables and lean meat.

The diet is a very simple 3 meal a day affair.

Breakfast: 1/2 cup of oats with cinnamon and sweetner

Lunch: Any 12 inch sub from the 6g of fat menu except for the chicken teriyaki. No sauces.

Dinner: Any 12 inch sub from the 6g of fat menu except for the chicken teriyaki. No sauces.

The diet averages 1200 calories with 120g of carbohydrates, 70g of protein, 20g of fat and 20g of fibre.

You should lose 2 pounds per a week on this diet. This is a low calorie diet and you can expect it to be difficult to adhere to at the beginning but I have a tip to make it easier.

If you stop eating for 3 days you lose your appetite on the third day. For a person who has never lost their appetite before this is a strange feeling because you are not full but you don't want to eat and you don't feel hungry anymore. However it is very difficult to reach the third day and this could take several tries before you achieve it.

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards
You need to lose a lot of weight relatively quickly before you consider gaining muscle.

I recommend you try the subway diet. I had excellent results on the subway diet last year and can cite many reasons why its an excellent diet.

The main reason why its such an excellent diet is because its portion controlled. You never overeat because you know exactly what you are eating. The other main benefit of the subway diet is its very healthy food with lots of vegetables and lean meat.

The diet is a very simple 3 meal a day affair.

Breakfast: 1/2 cup of oats with cinnamon and sweetner

Lunch: Any 12 inch sub from the 6g of fat menu except for the chicken teriyaki. No sauces.

Dinner: Any 12 inch sub from the 6g of fat menu except for the chicken teriyaki. No sauces.

The diet averages 1200 calories with 120g of carbohydrates, 70g of protein, 20g of fat and 20g of fibre.

You should lose 2 pounds per a week on this diet. This is a low calorie diet and you can expect it to be difficult to adhere to at the beginning but I have a tip to make it easier.

If you stop eating for 3 days you lose your appetite on the third day. For a person who has never lost their appetite before this is a strange feeling because you are not full but you don't want to eat and you don't feel hungry anymore. However it is very difficult to reach the third day and this could take several tries before you achieve it.
im sorry but all of this just sounds DUMB... where did you pick up ANY of these ideas?

And you cant guarantee anyone will lose a set amount of weight on a set diet... if its TOO low his body could go into starvation mode and try to hold on to fat instead of burn it, if its too high he could just as easily gain weight from a caloric surplus. If he is even anywhere close to a small deficit with that diet for his height/weight and activity level then he MAY lose some fat but there's no guarantee hes gonna lose 2 lbs and there's no guarantee that some of it isnt catabolized muscle mass....

Besides Subways bread is far from nutritious and their meat is mostly processed, not what I would want to base my diet off of.... and dont eat at all for 3 days to jump start a fat loss diet??? idiotic and unhealthy... try cutting down portion sizes gradually not altogether stop eating, THAT will get your appetite down in a safe gradual manner and keep fatloss going as you reduce cals to meet your needs.

jamesm11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
im sorry but all of this just sounds DUMB... where did you pick up ANY of these ideas?

And you cant guarantee anyone will lose a set amount of weight on a set diet... if its TOO low his body could go into starvation mode and try to hold on to fat instead of burn it, if its too high he could just as easily gain weight from a caloric surplus. If he is even anywhere close to a small deficit with that diet for his height/weight and activity level then he MAY lose some fat but there's no guarantee hes gonna lose 2 lbs and there's no guarantee that some of it isnt catabolized muscle mass....

Besides Subways bread is far from nutritious and their meat is mostly processed, not what I would want to base my diet off of.... and dont eat at all for 3 days to jump start a fat loss diet??? idiotic and unhealthy... try cutting down portion sizes gradually not altogether stop eating, THAT will get your appetite down in a safe gradual manner and keep fatloss going as you reduce cals to meet your needs.
Agreed. 1200 calories is too low. Usually LBM x 10-12 is a good standard for weight loss. Obviously people are different and you'll have to tweak it, but try something like that. It'll put you around 1800-2200 calories a day

Rethink

Awards
If you want to lose more than a pound of fat or half a Kg then you need to cut calories to the 1200-1400 range.

The reason why I suggested the subway diet is because it is easy and it has worked for me. The food is healthy besides your misgivings and I managed to lose over 1 kg a week while doing cardio every day.

Furthermore your ideas on starvation mode and catabolism are wrong. Scientific studies prove that people on 800 calorie a day diets with resistance training don't lose a significant amount of muscle mass over a 12 month period. Your ideas are based on the paranoid fears of the authors of misinformation. Some people are so scared of being small that when they lose weight they insist they are losing muscle because they are smaller when its completely due to fat loss.

Furthermore 3 days of fasting before you begin a diet also works. A 3 day fast is a more effective appetite suppressant than any supplement on the market and you can't criticise this before you try it. After 3 days without eating your metabolism slows by 7% but it recovers once you start eating again. Provided you maintain low calories your appetite doesn't recover.

bigsexy74

bigsexy74

Awards
  • Established
If you want to lose more than a pound of fat or half a Kg then you need to cut calories to the 1200-1400 range.

The reason why I suggested the subway diet is because it is easy and it has worked for me. The food is healthy besides your misgivings and I managed to lose over 1 kg a week while doing cardio every day.

Furthermore your ideas on starvation mode and catabolism are wrong. Scientific studies prove that people on 800 calorie a day diets with resistance training don't lose a significant amount of muscle mass over a 12 month period. Your ideas are based on the paranoid fears of the authors of misinformation. Some people are so scared of being small that when they lose weight they insist they are losing muscle because they are smaller when its completely due to fat loss.

Furthermore 3 days of fasting before you begin a diet also works. A 3 day fast is a more effective appetite suppressant than any supplement on the market and you can't criticise this before you try it. After 3 days without eating your metabolism slows by 7% but it recovers once you start eating again. Provided you maintain low calories your appetite doesn't recover.
link to articles regarding your claims please

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
What's the hurry with losing the weight? Seriously.

There's this gal, younger gal in my gym - pretty face ... but when she started at the gym about a year ago - she had an ass the size of the state of Texas.

She has steadily lost weight, gradually - but steadily. This morning I was looking at her bottom, and thinking nasty thoughts - she's still heavy - but looking good and still progressing. She may not "get there" for another year - but she's in no hurry.

She's in her 20's and I'm almost 50 and I told her ... "You know - if I were a younger man, and not married - I'd ask you for a date in heartbeat."

And that wasn't a lie.

I asked her about this and she said ... "I will have to be a gym rat the rest of my life - so if it takes me two years to get the weight off - that's an insignificant amount of time in the big picture."

And - she's right. She absolutely does not starve herself - nice steady loss. If you can't lose the weight slowly - there's a high probability you won't have the dedication to keep it off when you do.

I like people like this.

jamesm11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
a pound of fat is 3500 calories. if you cut your expenditure by 400-500 a day then you'll be closer to losing a lb a week. Cutting to 1200 could be a 1200 calorie a day deficit (8400 weekly) that's more than necessary by a great deal

Rethink

Awards
link to articles regarding your claims please
I can't post links but I can provide the name of an article.

Regarding catabolism on a very low calorie diet search "Effects of Resistance vs. Aerobic Training Combined
With an 800 Calorie Liquid Diet on Lean Body Mass and Resting Metabolic Rate"

As far as the 3 day fast is concerned it is common knowledge in fasting circles that you lose your appetite in 3-5 days. I have personally tried it and you don't feel hungry or compelled to eat at all.

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards

I can't post links but I can provide the name of an article.

Regarding catabolism on a very low calorie diet search "Effects of Resistance vs. Aerobic Training Combined
With an 800 Calorie Liquid Diet on Lean Body Mass and Resting Metabolic Rate"

As far as the 3 day fast is concerned it is common knowledge in fasting circles that you lose your appetite in 3-5 days. I have personally tried it and you don't feel hungry or compelled to eat at all.
first....
This study was done across a 12 week period not 12 months...

second...
who knows how close 800 cals was to ANY of these folks previous diets if a washout or standardizing period wasnt initiated first by setting them all at say a 2000cal diet for 12 weeks THEN switching to a VLCD diet of 800cals for 12 weeks.

every thing else wrong with this study as it applies to us...
it isnt a decent example of anyone in our position. We are already fit individuals typically, if not "fit" most already exercise. Just initiating a workout routine period alongside an adequate amount of protein can create a GAIN in muscle mass, not just preserving it... also we have no indication at all what the liquid diet consisted of re: macro nutrient distribution, whos to say all these people werent placed into a state of ketosis? this alone also preserves muscle mass. Also this still doesnt show either that fat loss was achieved, so starvation mode could have been hit for some...

It will take much more then 1 single ambiguous study to convince me... and still has nothing to do with subway, has nothing to do with the fact your generalized comment on a suggested amount of cals (1200-1400) is in the right range for ANYONE.... if this guy is BIG and his body is used to 3000 cals ed then dropping cals THAT drastically will cause his body to hang on to fat rather then use it for energy...

Im still not interested in starvation for appetite control... properly reduced portions across a period of time does just fine...
heres your study...

J Am Coll Nutr. 1999 Apr;18(2):115-21.
Effects of resistance vs. aerobic training combined with an 800 calorie liquid diet on lean body mass and resting metabolic rate.

Bryner RW, Ullrich IH, Sauers J, Donley D, Hornsby G, Kolar M, Yeater R.
Source

Department of Human Performance and Applied Exercise Science, West Virginia University, Morgantown 26506, USA.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

Utilization of very-low-calorie diets (VLCD) for weight loss results in loss of lean body weight (LBW) and a decrease in resting metabolic rate (RMR). The addition of aerobic exercise does not prevent this. The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of intensive, high volume resistance training combined with a VLCD on these parameters.
METHODS:

Twenty subjects (17 women, three men), mean age 38 years, were randomly assigned to either standard treatment control plus diet (C+D), n = 10, or resistance exercise plus diet (R+D), n = 10. Both groups consumed 800 kcal/day liquid formula diets for 12 weeks. The C+D group exercised 1 hour four times/week by walking, biking or stair climbing. The R+D group performed resistance training 3 days/week at 10 stations increasing from two sets of 8 to 15 repetitions to four sets of 8 to 15 repetitions by 12 weeks. Groups were similar at baseline with respect to weight, body composition, aerobic capacity, and resting metabolic rate.
RESULTS:

Maximum oxygen consumption (Max VO2) increased significantly (p<0.05) but equally in both groups. Body weight decreased significantly more (p<0.01) in C+D than R+D. The C+D group lost a significant (p<0.05) amount of LBW (51 to 47 kg). No decrease in LBW was observed in R+D. In addition, R+D had an increase (p<0.05) in RMR O2 ml/kg/min (2.6 to 3.1). The 24 hour RMR decreased (p<0.05) in the C+D group.
CONCLUSION:

The addition of an intensive, high volume resistance training program resulted in preservation of LBW and RMR during weight loss with a VLCD.

Rethink

Awards
Sourdough - I think you are too hasty in dismissing the result form the study I cited. It's true that the results apply to beginners rather than intermediate trainers but the important part to consider is the differance between the experimental and control group. The control group lost 1 pound of fat free mass for every 4 pounds of fat as is typical of dieting without resistance training. However the experimental group lost no fat free mass. This shows that resistance training rather than the degree of calorie restriction is the most significant determinant of how much fat free mass a person loses.

As far as the subway diet is concerned you seem to have a specific gripe with this. I suggested it because it worked especially well in my own experience. I lost more than 1 kg a week and didn't notice any loss of muscle.

In general I think people on this board are too conservative when it comes to diets. Unless a diet is mainly whey shakes, chicken breast and tuna and in the 2500 calorie range people generally disapprove. This may be good for advanced trainers who have a lot of fat free mass but for beginners and intermediate the calories need to be much lower to achieve the minimum 1 pound or half a kg a week.

Furthermore I haven't seen any evidence that suggests losing more than 1 pound or 1/2 a kg leads to significantly more loss of fat free mass. Most people on this board have a lot of fat to lose unlike advanced trainers who generally only need to lose 12 pounds or 6 kg of fat. If you are very patient and only have a small amount of fat to lose (eg 12 pounds) you can wait 3 months to achieve your goal. However most people on this board are overweight or borderline obese with over 25 pounds or 11 kg to lose. This would take them at least 6 months at a rate of 1 pounds a week and their chances of maintaining this type of discipline over 6 months is slim.

Most just lose 10 pounds then decide to start bulking again and effectively undo all their effort to gain a few pounds of muscle and maintain an unflattering physique. Staying lean is more important than gaining weight because losing weight is much more difficult. So keeping the weight off in the first place is a top priority.

I personally believe trainees should lose weight at a rate of 2 pounds or 1 kg a week and gain weight at a maximum of 1 pound or 1/2 a kg a week for beginners and 1/2 a kg or 1/4 of a kg for intermediate and advanced trainers.

To acheive the above criteria generally low calorie ranges are required and I don't see any reason why such low ranges are a problem unless people can't maintain it because of hunger.

Lastly on the issue of hunger, when I discovered that a 3 day fast eliminates your appetite I vowed never to diet again without doing this first. This is because it completely eliminates your appetite unlike anything else. I have experimented with nutrient timing, tried high fibre and high protein diets and tried many appetite suppresants marketed as supplements but none of these solutions compared to the complete elimination of appetite that a 3 day fast offered. You simply have no appetite to speak of. You can prepare tempting food all day without feeling like tasting it simply because your body doesn't want food.

You have to decide to eat rather than feeling compelled to do it. This is why I suggest people try it because it literally makes dieting simple without struggle. However to keep the appetite loss you can't eat more than 1200 calories a day, otherwise your appetite returns.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Lots good info here