Fat burning vs. cardio work

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  158 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.53%

Fat burning vs. cardio work

Some of you have seen some of my other posts...
    Thanks for your responses

Curious.

I like the elliptical trainer because it is easier on my joints and especially for my flat feet.

I am trying to cut belly fat. Currently at 23% body fat, age 35, 5'9" and 173

On elliptical, I believe for cardio my heart rate is supposed to be at about 145, which is 78% of max. A trainer once calculated for a cardio workout, I need to be at about 160.

My question is, what should I really maintain heart rate at if trying to burn fat?

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.33%

It depends of what kind of cardio you're doing in terms of intensity but I believe for normal/slow paced cardio, 65% is the correct heart rate.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  158 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.53%

65% is correct for which? Fat burning or cardio workout?
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.33%

cardio.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.06%

Fat burning is achieved when you burn more calories than you take in. As long as your cardio work is fueled with protein (and perhaps a small carb) meal you wont be tapping into much muscle for fuel. If you happen to burn more glucose or glycogen because your intensity is a tad high, then you will burn more fat later. So it all comes out in the wash. Intensity of your cardio makes little difference compared to total calories in vs. total cals burned for the day. Now if you are comparing HIIT cardio to LISS OR MISS cardio then there are a few more factors to consider. But MISS vs LISS in a fed state....just do whatever you prefer. I like to keep track of cals burned with a heart rate monitor and obviously track my food intake.....then I am properly educated to make diet/cardio changes as the fat loss stalls.
    Sean Campbell
    Pro Natural Bodybuilder
    NRC Sponsored Athlete - Cabergolean.com
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  158 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.53%

Thank you
    I have simply been using the heart rate monitor on the elliptical machine and checking every 5 minutes to see where I am at.
    I did discover that if I keep my heart rate a bit lower, I certainly can go longer.
    When I have to increase the resistance to keep the heart rate at 145, there is no question I am working harder and probably couldn't go as long. So, ultimately, I may actually burn more calories just staying in the lower heart rate zone anyway.
  7. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.49%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

our bodies can over time adapt to a lower input of carbohydrates (starch). We become more reliant on using fat as a fuel source when we exercise at a base level of training which is at around 65-75%
    when we start climbing and ramping up intensity when we have leaned out a bit better, we can increase the training and have a post workout meal to help refuel this intense exercise output. Trying to do high high glycolytic work on no starch will cause us to store bodyfat.

take home notes: at a base training level of 65-75%, train fasted, and when leaned out, increase intensity and then look into upping the carbs to refuel and support activity load
    ...::: EBF REP :::...
    Recompadrol-AAv2-Metabolic Pow(d)er
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.24%

Quote Originally Posted by runner_79 View Post

Trying to do high high glycolytic work on no starch will cause us to store bodyfat.

take home notes: at a base training level of 65-75%, train fasted, and when leaned out, increase intensity and then look into upping the carbs to refuel and support activity load
    so let me see if i understand this...

if im training at a base level (im assuming you mean slow/new guy..something like that)...do cardio fasted (and have a diet consisting of mostly protein...accroding to austrianoak). and after i get leaned out a bit, increase the intensity and start looking at carbs PWO?

reason i ask is because im trying to get back in the swing of things and joined a crossfit gym for a free session before signing membership. i almost puked but it was a good workout. at the moment my diet needs work as i dont eat nearly enough protein and eat mostly carbs (good carbs at least...like salad and oatmeal)...

anyway...so for now i need to eat mostly proteins because if i do this high intensity workouts (im guessing that roughly translates to high glycolytic)....im going to store bodyfat?
  9. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.49%

robbwolf.com

All the info and eating for crossfit people...
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.56%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by runner_79 View Post
    our bodies can over time adapt to a lower input of carbohydrates (starch). We become more reliant on using fat as a fuel source when we exercise at a base level of training which is at around 65-75%
    when we start climbing and ramping up intensity when we have leaned out a bit better, we can increase the training and have a post workout meal to help refuel this intense exercise output. Trying to do high high glycolytic work on no starch will cause us to store bodyfat.

There's a lot of misinformation and unsupported rhetoric in this post.

Specifically, can you provide some evidence to back up the statement I put in bold?

Br
  11. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.49%

Was referring to the cortisol response it produces... Putting the body into bad shock and a heightened cortisol response from the high intensity demand, in a calorie deficit, muscle loss due to the body having to find its energy from another source, usually aminos from muscles
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.56%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

That doesn't explain how it will cause lipogenesis (fat storage)

There's a cortisol response from any exercise. Its how we mobilize the fuels we need. And, generally, the protein that is broken down during carb depleted high intensity exercise is from blood albumin to liberate BCAA. The result is an increase in tryptophan and a subsequent central fatigue.

Cortisol during exercise is not a villain. Cortisol at rest due to stress and stimulants is.

Br
  13. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.49%

I maybe could have worded it differently. Apologies.
    Thanks for clearing up Br
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN

Similar Forum Threads

1. Non-Stim weight loss/fat burning supps-Any that work
    By RoadBlocK in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 12:26 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-30-2005, 12:45 AM
  3. Best fat burning cardio Equip.
    By Grifter in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-16-2005, 11:59 AM
  4. fat burning works better at low intensity cardio? why?
    By iwinulose2980 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 06:50 PM
  5. Question about cardio for burning fat.
    By 5111 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-04-2004, 12:29 AM