Protein for non-workout days

1. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.85%

Protein for non-workout days

Lately I have been thinking about how much protein I should consume on my off days and how it should be supplied. More than a workout day, less, the same? Are whey shakes really benificial to you since there is no immediate demands for muscle building, with whey being a fast acting protein? I mainly try to eat more real food on my off days and drink only one whey shake a couple of hours after breakfast, (plus the casien at night). Would drinking more whey on an off day be a waste? Sorry for the bombardment of questions here, just thinking out loud...

2. Jag
    Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.95%

i'd recommend keeping to training days.

if you are going to have it on off days as well have it after/during some other protein meal.

Jag
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.49%

i guess the key here is your macronutrient ratio target
    if you cant get that 40/40/20 or whatever ratio in line with regards to protein that whey shake should help.

I think it is generally accepted that protein from real food is much better than whey specially on off days but if you cant get the ratio down the shake can help.

just my 2 cents.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.22%

I consume the same on workout days, or about the same. I only eat real food on off days but it is a matter of preference. As long as you get protein for muscle repair you will be fine.
  5. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.85%

Thats basically what I have been thinking, I just wanted to get some opinions. Im still toying with how many shakes and when. Thanks fellas.
  6. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.98%

Hi,

Somebody told me about this thread.

Protein is needed all the time, not just on the days of training. If you want to slow down the digestion of whey, add a fat like flax.

Food does not have better protein than a good protein supplement. Further, a supplement is cheaper.

Since it may be construed that I have an alterior motive, my statements can be easily checked.

Take Care
  7. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by dtricome
    Hi,

Somebody told me about this thread.

If you want to slow down the digestion of whey, add a fat like flax.

Food does not have better protein than a good protein supplement. Further, a supplement is cheaper.

Since it may be construed that I have an alterior motive, my statements can be easily checked.

Take Care
    1. It won't slow digestion. Its still in liquified form and gastric emptying will not be slowed. The absortion of aminos is also not altered by adding a fat. Lipids are absorbed by the lymph system and has nothing to do with the absortion of amino's which occurs in the small intestine. Its a myth.

2. Second statement depends on what protein. Whey protein is not optimal durinf regular feeding times. Foods have better digestion rates and will keep a positive nitrogen balance for a much longer peroid of time than a fast absorting protein in which 100% will not get used. Post workout is fine but for normal meals, a fast absorbing protein is inferior to whole foods.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.49%

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    1. It won't slow digestion. Its still in liquified form and gastric emptying will not be slowed. The absortion of aminos is also not altered by adding a fat. Lipids are absorbed by the lymph system and has nothing to do with the absortion of amino's which occurs in the small intestine. Its a myth.

2. Second statement depends on what protein. Whey protein is not optimal durinf regular feeding times. Foods have better digestion rates and will keep a positive nitrogen balance for a much longer peroid of time than a fast absorting protein in which 100% will not get used. Post workout is fine but for normal meals, a fast absorbing protein is inferior to whole foods.
    hi BoBo....i can just see some people slowly getting this smirk on their faces thinking about egg protein powder .... you just cant satisfy everyone hahaha.....

disclaimer : im not going against bobo...im just forward looking to some obvious answers people will come up with hahahaha...
  9. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.01%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Bobo do you have any articles handy explaining this in more detail? This is something that is spread all over the boards, and I always believed it to be true as well. I would love to read up on it some more.
  10. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Principles of Human Physiology
    by William J. Germann, Cindy L. Stanfield

Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism
    by James L. Groff

Real good books.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  11. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.01%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Principles of Human Physiology
    by William J. Germann, Cindy L. Stanfield

Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism
    by James L. Groff

Real good books.
    Thank ya.

Similar Forum Threads

1. How many Protein shakes on workout days ?
    By Stinger124 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 04:10 PM
  2. Quick question about non-workout days
    By russy_russ in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2008, 02:59 PM
  3. non-workout days
    By 03StangWV in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-29-2007, 12:47 PM
  4. gms on non workout days and/or post workout?
    By sundevil04 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2006, 02:02 AM