Quaker oats

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  208 lbs.

do y'all have "central market"? high $ on many things, but lots of bulk organic grains & such. killer rices, flax seeds, etc...

2. Banned

ok, i'm still a little confused on the nutritional and GI value of rolled oats. i buy the large box of quaker brand rolled oats from costco and i put it through a coffee grinder into powder. Henry's market in SoCal carries every type of oats-rolled, steel cut, powdered, etc. Does it matter at all which type of oats i use since i grind my quaker brand rolled oats into powder?
  3. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by lancelot
    ok, i'm still a little confused on the nutritional and GI value of rolled oats. i buy the large box of quaker brand rolled oats from costco and i put it through a coffee grinder into powder. Henry's market in SoCal carries every type of oats-rolled, steel cut, powdered, etc. Does it matter at all which type of oats i use since i grind my quaker brand rolled oats into powder?
    I believe out of those choices listed, steel cut is the best. They are even less processed than the rolled oats that Bobo recommended. They are also known as Irish Oats.
    •   

4. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheUsual
    I believe out of those choices listed, steel cut is the best. They are even less processed than the rolled oats that Bobo recommended. They are also known as Irish Oats.
    i can get steel cut whole oats at henry's, no problem. but like i said, does it matter since i'm grinding my oats into powder? i'm not cooking it or eating oats. i just drink it as powder in my shakes.
  5. dsl
    officially an adult

Quote Originally Posted by lancelot
    i can get steel cut whole oats at henry's, no problem. but like i said, does it matter since i'm grinding my oats into powder? i'm not cooking it or eating oats. i just drink it as powder in my shakes.
    ya, i've wondered about that. when one thinks about it you are basically grinding it up and it would seem like they would absord faster no matter what type of oats that you have but i'm not really sure.
  6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 200wannabe
    Is it necessary to cook/microwave them? I like to eat mine uncooked with just cold milk, is this wrong?
    I don't cook mine. I basically do the same thing except I add a little cinnamon.
  7. board observer

Quote Originally Posted by dsl
    ya, i've wondered about that. when one thinks about it you are basically grinding it up and it would seem like they would absord faster no matter what type of oats that you have but i'm not really sure.
    I read once that, unlike most carb sources, the glycemic rating of oats doesn't change when it's finely cut. I need to find a reputable person to back this info up though.
  8. dsl
    officially an adult

Quote Originally Posted by Moyer
    I read once that, unlike most carb sources, the glycemic rating of oats doesn't change when it's finely cut. I need to find a reputable person to back this info up though.
    well, instant oats are thinner and are more finely cut yet they have a higher GI rating????

any experts???
  9. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Its the processing. They are thinned, seperated then cooked commpared to some that are just cooked compared to some that aren't cooked.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/image...et/twitter.png http://anabolicminds.com/forum/image...t/facebook.png

For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  10. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Particle size of wheat, maize, and oat test meals: effects on plasma glucose and insulin responses and on the rate of starch digestion in vitro.

Heaton KW, Marcus SN, Emmett PM, Bolton CH.

University Department of Medicine, Bristol Royal Infirmary, UK.

When normal volunteers ate isocaloric wheat-based meals, their plasma insulin responses (peak concentration and area under curve) increased stepwise: whole grains less than cracked grains less than coarse flour less than fine flour. <b><i>Insulin responses</i></b> were also greater with fine maizemeal than with whole or cracked maize grains but <b><i>were similar with whole groats, rolled oats, and fine oatmeal.</i></b> The peak-to-nadir swing of plasma glucose was greater with wheat flour than with cracked or whole grains. In vitro starch hydrolysis by pancreatic amylase was faster with decreasing particle size with all three cereals. Correlation with the in vivo data was imperfect. Oat-based meals evoked smaller glucose and insulin responses than wheat- or maize-based meals. Particle size influences the digestion rate and consequent metabolic effects of wheat and maize but not oats. The increased insulin response to finely ground flour may be relevant to the etiology of diseases associated with hyperinsulinemia and to the management of diabetes.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/image...et/twitter.png http://anabolicminds.com/forum/image...t/facebook.png

For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  11. Get big or die trying

So then wouldn't putting oats in the blender w/the rest of your pwo shake increase their GI value.
  12. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

umm...its says "but not oats"

13. dsl
    officially an adult

then i will continue to blend away.

thanks Bobo
  14. board observer

I'm gonna have to order some oat flour then.

This 1/2 cup-at-a-time coffee grinder crap is BS.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. quaker oats
    By jsp0785 in forum Recipes
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-19-2009, 05:59 PM
  2. Quaker Instant Oats
    By Ole Skl in forum Recipes
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-26-2008, 06:58 PM
  3. Regular oats vs. instant oatmeal
    By NPursuit in forum Weight Loss