Late night eating..

a312

Awards
Any tips on avoiding late night eating? Im sure thats the cause of my weight gain.. :(

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
Weight gain is from consuming more calories than you expend in a day.

Lower your overall calories and structure your diet to suit your goals.

a312

Awards
I have lowered my calories and tried to keep my carbs minimal, but i tend to finish work at 10pm most days and all i want to do is go home and eat lol

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
i eat half my calories around 10pm.

then go to bed at 12 and im cutting hardcore

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
For a while I used to get up in the middle of my sleep to eat 200-300 calories of either protein or peanut butter. I always thought it was because my metabolism was so fast but it started to make less and less sense as I continued cutting.

Recently I explained this to a dietician who told me its because I wasnt getting proper nutrition even during diet. This might be one of the few things she told me that I actually agreed upon. SO I hcanged my macros, moved some things around and have been sleeping soundly and its clearly not a metabolic speed issue it was improper macros.

Moral of my anecdote: if your waking in the middle of the night to eat. Well, first of all, EAT!!!! Second, adjust your diet because youre clearly missing something.

Jentry07

Awards
Just make sure to keep your daily calories in check still. Also do not eat too many carbs right before bed, they will just sit in your stomach without the time to digest before bed.

linacali

Awards
Drink water. Keep 1 little of water next to you 2-3 hours before u go to bed and guzzle it when u feel like eating. Only con is u might pee alot

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Make sure you are eating regularly throughout the day with pre-made meals and try not to get starving. Also making a shake at night is always really helpful.

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
eat protein late a night, fats also. Avoid carbs. You want to eat foods that will make you feel full.

If you know you will be eating at night no matte what adjust daily cal intake during the day time so you can eat at night. Drinking a shake a hr before bed helps blunt my hunger, id try if i were you....its worth a shot.

a312

Awards
Yeah i have been drinkin my protein shake seems to be helping! Thanx for all your info peeps :)

VitaminJB

Awards
I really like peanut butter late at night. I usually take a casein shake before bed but I've fouund if I eat a couple tablespoons of peanut butter with it, I feel much more satisfied, likely due to the fats in it.

tWack

tWack

Awards
  • Established
i eat half my calories around 10pm.

then go to bed at 12 and im cutting hardcore
me to! :beerchug:
I'm doing leangains, and stuff my face with high-cal foods.. RIGHT before bed, and I lost ~4% bodyfat in 5 weeks or so..

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Love me some sludge. But I like it with frozen fruit so I cant have it as a nightime snack.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hasn't the idea that carbs pre bed are bad for you been debunked already?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any tips on avoiding late night eating? Im sure thats the cause of my weight gain.. :(
Late night eating is not the cause of "weight gain" - if your nutrition is set up specifically for you re your goals, then eating late at night is fine. I often eat my largest meal of the day an hour or so before going to bed!

~Rosie~

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Ive never found any literature. If youre a sedentary human being then having carbs probably isnt good. If youre lifting late evening then having carbs postoworkout and not too long from nap time (like me tonight) then i wouldnt worry so much about it. Youll burn right through them.

But if I wake up in the middle of the night I wont have carbs, that can wait till morning.

Tboz

Banned
Awards
If you have to eat just try eating something good and not alot of **** calories or carbs.

Egg whites, hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, chicken

TheProfessor

TheProfessor

Awards
Correct. In a standard physiological state (whatever that is) the actual time of day has no effect on nutrient partitioning.

alewisdvm

Awards
Hey all,
So I can clarify:
I am trying to lose belly fat...
My target calorie intake is about 1650. Now, I try to burn an extra 400-500/day with exercise.
Today, I was able to have a calorie deficit of about 800. But!
Because of work (as a veterinarian), I didn't get to eat dinner until about 9:30pm. That included 3 small pieces of honey wheat veggie pizza. Now, I know there are carbs in that food, but confused on whether I need to worry about eating those carbs late at night or simply focus on the daily calorie deficit.

georgekofi

georgekofi

Awards
I'm right now on my Diet. and I really feel like starving :p just eat something... ive read some books magazines and ate slowly my turkey salad ( no carbs) and maybe throwing some black olives in for the good fats that helps you losing weight :) + I ate really slowly so my brain gets more staisfaction out of the food try it maybe it works for you too I would be happy if! :) Good luck!

georgekofi

georgekofi

Awards
Oh i forgot another good midnight snack is some green pepper slices with some cottage cheese ( of course the light version! ) and maybe some black pepper on it!

Jentry07

Awards
Late night eating is not so much the problem of weight gain, it is that you usually have already eaten your daily caloric goal before than and with eating at night are eating too many calories for the day now. Usually people will eat "junk food" snacks before bed as well, which causes weight gain. If you have not already hit your daily calorie goal and are wanting a late night snack, make sure it is something healthy and not too many carbohydrates. As those have a harder time burning while you are laying in bed sleeping.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Hey I have a question: OK so lets say its 2AM and i wake up and find my subconscious has lead me to the kitchen because Im hungry. Im obviously gonna avoid the crackers and pop tarts but what would be the best thing?

Should I go with a fat source like a handful of almonds? Or should I get some protein in and make a shake? Maybe it is protein but whey is a bad idea - so a piece of chicken? Whats a good option? I often find myself just grabbing whatever I subconsciously decide I need in my half zombie state.

0071982WC

0071982WC

Awards
I'm in the same boat! I usually try to have a glass of whole milk mixed with whey. Either that or ice cream!

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I just do the whole "listen to your body" thing and just eat whatever my hands grab... my mentality it that it's what I needed and thats why I picked it.

Ice cream or milk would be a no no for me. But clearly its workin for you, f*ckin shredded my man!

survey

Awards
I really like peanut butter late at night.

Me too! I save 20 grams of carbs and 20 fat grams for night time. About 1 hour before bed and I have one slice of wheat bread covered in peanut butter and a cup of milk. Man does it hit the spot.