Raw eggs

  1. Board Supporter
    MaDmaN's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Age
    55
    Posts
    990
    Rep Power
    20132

    Raw eggs


    I drink about a dozen a day...Some people say im crazy but I say otherwise..

    Raw Eggs Are Good

  2. Registered User
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,698
    Rep Power
    513131

    You are crazy but that's not related to the fact that eggs are good.

    If you worry about salmonella or cholesterol much you can always add Egg Beaters to your shakes instead. Yolk free and pasturized but you'll pay more.
  3. Registered User
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,698
    Rep Power
    513131

    My mistake, you're Mad, not crazy
    •   
       

  4. Board Supporter
    MaDmaN's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Age
    55
    Posts
    990
    Rep Power
    20132

    Quote Originally Posted by bioman
    My mistake, you're Mad, not crazy

    Maybe a little.... Crazy that is....lol
  5. Registered User
    kelsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Age
    37
    Posts
    344
    Rep Power
    304

    i eat them raw but you just have to wash them.
  6. Registered User
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northeastern United States
    Posts
    15,475
    Rep Power
    4173039

    Quote Originally Posted by MaDmaN
    I drink about a dozen a day...Some people say im crazy but I say otherwise..

    Raw Eggs Are Good
    What the hell for Rocky?
  7. Board Supporter
    MaDmaN's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Age
    55
    Posts
    990
    Rep Power
    20132

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone
    What the hell for Rocky?

    it's so easy and quick,plus I can consume alot more that way..

    Hey Yo Adrian...LOL
  8. Registered User
    DougMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CT
    Age
    30
    Posts
    221
    Rep Power
    241

    Quote Originally Posted by MaDmaN
    it's so easy and quick,plus I can consume alot more that way..

    Hey Yo Adrian...LOL
    So you just break them into a glass and drink them? How many at a time?
  9. Registered User
    Siberian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    171

    I eat raw eggs all the time. I don't consider it to be a big deal at all, especially once you realize that most of the health concerns people have (salmonella, etc.) are not nearly as prevalent as some believe.
  10. PC1
    PC1 is offline
    Registered User
    PC1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outta Here
    Posts
    367
    Rep Power
    0

    I thought I had read somewhere many moons ago that not much was utilized from raw eggs? That they need to be cooked at least somewhat before giving any nutritional benefit?
  11. Registered User
    Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    169
    Rep Power
    218

    Quote Originally Posted by PC1
    I thought I had read somewhere many moons ago that not much was utilized from raw eggs? That they need to be cooked at least somewhat before giving any nutritional benefit?
    It is true Completley useless to drink raw eggs.
  12. Dan
    Dan is offline
    Registered User
    Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Age
    29
    Posts
    137
    Rep Power
    192

    I think you can still absorb protein from the yolk, just not the albumen.
  13. Registered User
    jjjd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    703
    Rep Power
    996

    i at one time read ONE claim (might have been an abstract) that there were issues absorbing protein from the raw albumin (whites). i haven't seen this confirmed, or any strong scientific basis for this claim.

    so, i'm skeptical

    in regards to salmonella, i read a stat once that showed the chance of catching salmonella from a given raw egg. it was somewhere around 1/15,000 iirc.

    and my understanding is that washing reduces that risk

    however, if you ever GEt salmonella, from what i understand, you probably won't even look at an egg for the rest of your life. it's pretty terrible
  14. Registered User
    squatrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    125

    A dozen raw eggs a day would have me ****tin like a goose!
  15. Get big or die trying
    Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    the edge
    Age
    32
    Posts
    898
    Rep Power
    577

    Seems to be a lot of contradictory information on this topic. The guy in the article madman posted said that egg protein is useless if cooked. You guys are saying it's useless uncooked. I'm willing to eat them either way just want to know which way is best.
  16. Registered User
    jjjd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    703
    Rep Power
    996

    i am saying i heard A REPORT the protein in the albumin (and the albumin is PURE protein btw. 3 grams per egg) is undigestable. that's ONE report, and i have seen no studies or confirmation of that. iow, BIG grain of salt. the yolk has 4 gms, and i have never heard that to be undigestable.

    i would take the undigestable albumin thing with skepticism. i also recall something realted to it about biotin, but maybe a google or medline search would turn it up. i don't eat enough raw eggs (maybe a dozen raw a week) to really care ThAT much

    anybody who says egg protein is useless if COOKED, does not know what they are talking about
  17. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Dwight Schrute's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Southwest Florida
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,913
    Rep Power
    7016

    Raw egg protein digests just fine. Its denatured in the stomach like any other protein. Cooked eggs are also fine unless you cook them for a prolonged peroid of time (ie burning them).

    The denaturing of proteins within food due to heat is extremely minimal.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/image...et/twitter.png http://anabolicminds.com/forum/image...t/facebook.png

    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  18. Registered User
    jjjd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    703
    Rep Power
    996

    that's good. because i just made some cheesecake, and i used a scoop of chocolate whey in one of them. i made 3.

    got the recipe from the latest edition of the online mag at avantlabs.com

    but i need to wait another 3 hours for it to cool before i eat it.
  19. Board Supporter
    willieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    49
    Posts
    270
    Rep Power
    261

    I just can't get myself to swallow a huge booger...I'll keep cooking my eggs..
  20. Registered User
    Beelzebub's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,680
    Rep Power
    10785

    I've been eating raw eggs for a little over 5 years now. Haven't had any problems as of yet. I usually throw em in a blender with some protein powder.
  21. Registered User
    jjjd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    703
    Rep Power
    996

    not to hijack the thread. but the cheesecake tastes good!

    breakfast of champions!
  22. Registered User
    Jstrong20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,354
    Rep Power
    48202

    Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub
    I've been eating raw eggs for a little over 5 years now. Haven't had any problems as of yet. I usually throw em in a blender with some protein powder.

    I've done the same. I think it gives the shake a smoother texture.
  23. Registered User
    beamen28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    69
    Rep Power
    162

    i heard that salmonila comes from the egg shell, not from the egg itself. so i guess thats why washing it makes it safer
  24. Banned
    bionicBC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Georgia
    Age
    32
    Posts
    141
    Rep Power
    0

    yea!


    like beelzebub said, in a protein shake, you dont taste em at all. try this

    12 to 16oz milk
    1 banana
    2 to 3 raw eggs
    1/2 cup crushed ice (optional)
    1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
    1 to 2 scoops favorite protein-chocolate is my fav.
    1 to 2 tbsp peanut butter

    Tastes good as hell, and packs in the calories and protein!
    BC
  25. Registered User
    wimpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    138
    Rep Power
    200

    Quote Originally Posted by bionicBC
    like beelzebub said, in a protein shake, you dont taste em at all. try this

    12 to 16oz milk
    1 banana
    2 to 3 raw eggs
    1/2 cup crushed ice (optional)
    1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
    1 to 2 scoops favorite protein-chocolate is my fav.
    1 to 2 tbsp peanut butter

    Tastes good as hell, and packs in the calories and protein!
    BC
    do you use the whole egg or just the whites?
  26. Banned
    bionicBC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Georgia
    Age
    32
    Posts
    141
    Rep Power
    0

    I use the whole egg-a lot of people think that its better, for cholesterol reasons, exc, to just use the white, but there is a lot to be gained from the yolk, too- I say use it all.
  27. USA HOCKEY
    CEDeoudes59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    3,928
    Rep Power
    3200

    Would the cage-free eggs be safer? The ones you find in the organic section...
    My Little Site about Hair Loss & Anabolics-
    hair loss from steroids dot com
  28. USA HOCKEY
    CEDeoudes59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    3,928
    Rep Power
    3200

    Quote Originally Posted by kelsey
    i eat them raw but you just have to wash them.
    how so? Running water over egg contents in your hand?
    My Little Site about Hair Loss & Anabolics-
    hair loss from steroids dot com
  29. Gold Member
    RobInKuwait's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hanover, MD
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,291
    Rep Power
    1271

    I've seen on cases of eggs that they're pasteurized. Wouldn't that kill any chance of salmonella?
  30. Registered User
    justinlarged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    132

    Hey I thought that this site might help out a little bit.
    www.eggwhitesint.com
    here is a quote from the site.
    What's the difference between LIQUID and RAW egg whites? The human body cannot digest a raw egg white. So, if you like to do the ‚ÄúRocky Routine‚Ä? with a raw egg or raw egg white in your drink, you are wasting your time. Because of the Avidin found in a raw egg white, your body cannot digest a raw egg white. Not to mention the threat of Salmonella. You must cook the egg white to neutralize the Avidin and allow your body to digest the protein. Too much Avidin in your system can cause a Biotin deficiency.

    Plus this makes it easier than cracking open 12 eggs everymorning!
    here is a little more
    av·i·din (v-dn)
    n. A protein, found in uncooked egg white, that binds to and inactivates biotin and which, when present in abundance, can result in a deficiency of biotin.

    So I guess if you are going to suck down raw eggs anyway you may want to supplement with a couple B-vitamins.
    Last edited by justinlarged; 09-30-2004 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Consolidated postings
  31. Registered User
    BigChuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Terre Haute, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    179

    Quote Originally Posted by jjjd
    i at one time read ONE claim (might have been an abstract) that there were issues absorbing protein from the raw albumin (whites). i haven't seen this confirmed, or any strong scientific basis for this claim.

    so, i'm skeptical

    in regards to salmonella, i read a stat once that showed the chance of catching salmonella from a given raw egg. it was somewhere around 1/15,000 iirc.

    and my understanding is that washing reduces that risk

    however, if you ever GEt salmonella, from what i understand, you probably won't even look at an egg for the rest of your life. it's pretty terrible
    Well if the probability of an egg having salmonella is 1/15000 and assuming that eggs containing salmonella are distributed randomly, then the consumption of 1 dozen eggs per day will cause one to contract salmonella in around 3.5 years.

    I'm just being a nerd so don't take that as what happens in the real world
  32. Banned
    bionicBC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Georgia
    Age
    32
    Posts
    141
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by justinlarged
    Hey I thought that this site might help out a little bit.
    www.eggwhitesint.com
    here is a quote from the site.
    What's the difference between LIQUID and RAW egg whites? The human body cannot digest a raw egg white. So, if you like to do the ‚ÄúRocky Routine‚Ä? with a raw egg or raw egg white in your drink, you are wasting your time. Because of the Avidin found in a raw egg white, your body cannot digest a raw egg white. Not to mention the threat of Salmonella. You must cook the egg white to neutralize the Avidin and allow your body to digest the protein. Too much Avidin in your system can cause a Biotin deficiency.

    Plus this makes it easier than cracking open 12 eggs everymorning!

    here is a little more
    av·i·din (v-dn)
    n. A protein, found in uncooked egg white, that binds to and inactivates biotin and which, when present in abundance, can result in a deficiency of biotin.

    So I guess if you are going to suck down raw eggs anyway you may want to supplement with a couple B-vitamins.
    Not true, ive got a thread ive gotta find it, ill get back to you, but this is BULL**** though. Your body will digest it fine, can i get a mod to back me up on this one?
    BC
  33. Board Supporter
    MaDmaN's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Age
    55
    Posts
    990
    Rep Power
    20132

    Your body will digest it just fine,the biotin argument would only apply if you eat 2 dozen at a time,beside the yolk contains biotin...
  34. Registered User
    MarcusG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,237
    Rep Power
    759

    ****, it timeout'd so I've to type in all over again.

    Anyway my favourite brand is 'the country hen'. Free running and organic and its tastes great. So much so I don't like eating normal ones anymore if its raw/softboiled. If its scrambled/fried/huevo rancheros with salsa then no difference in taste.

    I thinks freerunning organic eggs taste better because hens get to scratch and eat bugs/greens/worms instead of eating grains all the time. Also the yellow yolk is from carotenoids and not artificial yellow in grain feed.

    Pastured dairy products like kerrygold butter tastes great also.

    http://people.bu.edu/gh/eggs/
    for info on some other brands.
  35. Board Supporter
    200wannabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    39
    Posts
    471
    Rep Power
    362

    Quote Originally Posted by bionicBC
    I use the whole egg-a lot of people think that its better, for cholesterol reasons, exc, to just use the white, but there is a lot to be gained from the yolk, too- I say use it all.
    I think the commonly held view that eggs harm cholesterol levels is wrong, check out the article below:
    American Journal of Clinical Nutrition October 2004 80(4);855-861

    Eggs Improve bad Cholesterol

    There continues to be a major fear from most of the population that eating eggs will increase their cholesterol levels and their risk of dying from a heart attack. Next month's American Journal of Clinical Nutrition has a study that helps to put this myth to rest.

    Previous studies have shown that consuming eggs increases the bad cholesterol (LDL) in some people. Well what the researchers never did is evaluate the specific subclasses of LDL cholesterol. The smaller subfractions of LDL are more dangerous and associated with an increased risk of heart disease while the larger ones are not dangerous. This study done in Mexican children showed that giving them two eggs a day actually increased many of their LDL levels, but when it was broken down by subclasses, the dangerous levels actually decreased.

    So you can kiss your fear of eggs good-bye. There have been a number of previous studies that have supported that eggs do not increase your risk of heart disease. So go ahead have your eggs as they are one of the healthiest foods on the planet.

    While you are at it, please be sure and purchase healthy eggs as they are not that much more expensive than commercial factory raised chicken eggs. Please be sure to look for free range organic on the box. If they have omega-3 added that is a a plus but not necessary as you have to be careful of the source anyway. You would have to contact the company but if they are using flaxseed to increase the omega-3 fats they won't be as beneficial as if they feed the chickens seaweed or kelp which have the far more beneficial DHA and EPA.

    If you want to fine tune your egg consumption it is best not to cook them. This helps preserve many of the highly perishable nutrients such as lutein, and zeaxanthin which are powerful prevention elements of the most common cause of blindness, age related macular degeneration. No sense in taking supplements of these incredible antioxidants when you get the nutrients for free from eggs.

    Some may be concerned about the risk of salmonella from raw eggs, but I analyzed the risk a few years ago and most people have a better chance of winning the lottery than contracting salmonella from eggs from healthy chickens. Personally I consume three raw eggs nearly every morning as part of my breakfast and believe it has enormously contributed to my health.

  36. USA HOCKEY
    CEDeoudes59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    3,928
    Rep Power
    3200

    Bad Cholesterol is mainly a genetic thing right?
    Meaning if you are not predispoed, you can eat eggs all day?
    My Little Site about Hair Loss & Anabolics-
    hair loss from steroids dot com
  37. Registered User
    justinlarged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    132

    Quote Originally Posted by bionicBC
    Not true, ive got a thread ive gotta find it, ill get back to you, but this is BULL**** though. Your body will digest it fine, can i get a mod to back me up on this one?
    BC
    Yeah I would like to know if that is a load. It is much cheaper to just buy real eggs and crack em`. I hope that there is little truth to egg whites ints. claims. (they are marketing their own product they are trying to sell here...)
  38. Banned
    bionicBC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Georgia
    Age
    32
    Posts
    141
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by MaDmaN
    Your body will digest it just fine,the biotin argument would only apply if you eat 2 dozen at a time,beside the yolk contains biotin...
    Yea madman, but you DO eat 2 dozen eggs at a time, remember. j/k lol...
    Really, though, eat all the eggs you want in my opinion, raw or not-cheap as hell and a damn good source of protein...
    BC
  39. Registered User
    migs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    131

    so is it true that the raw eggwhites are useless ? I blend 5 whole eggs/shake with milk, honey and raw oats.
  40. Banned
    bionicBC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Georgia
    Age
    32
    Posts
    141
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by migs
    so is it true that the raw eggwhites are useless ? I blend 5 whole eggs/shake with milk, honey and raw oats.
    not tru.
    BC
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Raw Eggs
    By IronMarc in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-05-2007, 10:24 PM
  2. raw egg whites
    By massmonster in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-28-2006, 11:32 PM
  3. Raw Eggs for your Health
    By BOHICA in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 07-09-2006, 03:38 PM
  4. Diet change: no more milk but raw eggs
    By Aeternitatis in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-02-2006, 06:49 PM
  5. what is wrong with eating raw egg whites?
    By UNDERTAKER in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 12:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in