Raw eggs

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
You are crazy but that's not related to the fact that eggs are good.

If you worry about salmonella or cholesterol much you can always add Egg Beaters to your shakes instead. Yolk free and pasturized but you'll pay more.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
My mistake, you're Mad, not crazy :thumbsup:

Siberian

Awards
I eat raw eggs all the time. I don't consider it to be a big deal at all, especially once you realize that most of the health concerns people have (salmonella, etc.) are not nearly as prevalent as some believe.

PC1

I thought I had read somewhere many moons ago that not much was utilized from raw eggs? That they need to be cooked at least somewhat before giving any nutritional benefit?

Edge

Awards
I thought I had read somewhere many moons ago that not much was utilized from raw eggs? That they need to be cooked at least somewhat before giving any nutritional benefit?
It is true:) Completley useless to drink raw eggs.

Dan

Awards
I think you can still absorb protein from the yolk, just not the albumen.

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
i at one time read ONE claim (might have been an abstract) that there were issues absorbing protein from the raw albumin (whites). i haven't seen this confirmed, or any strong scientific basis for this claim.

so, i'm skeptical

in regards to salmonella, i read a stat once that showed the chance of catching salmonella from a given raw egg. it was somewhere around 1/15,000 iirc.

and my understanding is that washing reduces that risk

however, if you ever GEt salmonella, from what i understand, you probably won't even look at an egg for the rest of your life. it's pretty terrible

squatrack

Awards
A dozen raw eggs a day would have me shittin like a goose!

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
Seems to be a lot of contradictory information on this topic. The guy in the article madman posted said that egg protein is useless if cooked. You guys are saying it's useless uncooked. I'm willing to eat them either way just want to know which way is best.

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
i am saying i heard A REPORT the protein in the albumin (and the albumin is PURE protein btw. 3 grams per egg) is undigestable. that's ONE report, and i have seen no studies or confirmation of that. iow, BIG grain of salt. the yolk has 4 gms, and i have never heard that to be undigestable.

i would take the undigestable albumin thing with skepticism. i also recall something realted to it about biotin, but maybe a google or medline search would turn it up. i don't eat enough raw eggs (maybe a dozen raw a week) to really care ThAT much

anybody who says egg protein is useless if COOKED, does not know what they are talking about

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Raw egg protein digests just fine. Its denatured in the stomach like any other protein. Cooked eggs are also fine unless you cook them for a prolonged peroid of time (ie burning them).

The denaturing of proteins within food due to heat is extremely minimal.

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
that's good. because i just made some cheesecake, and i used a scoop of chocolate whey in one of them. i made 3.

got the recipe from the latest edition of the online mag at avantlabs.com

but i need to wait another 3 hours for it to cool before i eat it. :(

willieman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I just can't get myself to swallow a huge booger...I'll keep cooking my eggs..

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
I've been eating raw eggs for a little over 5 years now. Haven't had any problems as of yet. I usually throw em in a blender with some protein powder.

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
not to hijack the thread. but the cheesecake tastes good!

breakfast of champions!

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've been eating raw eggs for a little over 5 years now. Haven't had any problems as of yet. I usually throw em in a blender with some protein powder.

I've done the same. I think it gives the shake a smoother texture.

beamen28

beamen28

Awards
i heard that salmonila comes from the egg shell, not from the egg itself. so i guess thats why washing it makes it safer

bionicBC

Banned
Awards
yea!

like beelzebub said, in a protein shake, you dont taste em at all. try this

12 to 16oz milk
1 banana
2 to 3 raw eggs
1/2 cup crushed ice (optional)
1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
1 to 2 scoops favorite protein-chocolate is my fav.
1 to 2 tbsp peanut butter

Tastes good as hell, and packs in the calories and protein!
BC

wimpy

Awards
like beelzebub said, in a protein shake, you dont taste em at all. try this

12 to 16oz milk
1 banana
2 to 3 raw eggs
1/2 cup crushed ice (optional)
1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
1 to 2 scoops favorite protein-chocolate is my fav.
1 to 2 tbsp peanut butter

Tastes good as hell, and packs in the calories and protein!
BC
do you use the whole egg or just the whites?

bionicBC

Banned
Awards
I use the whole egg-a lot of people think that its better, for cholesterol reasons, exc, to just use the white, but there is a lot to be gained from the yolk, too- I say use it all.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Would the cage-free eggs be safer? The ones you find in the organic section...

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
I've seen on cases of eggs that they're pasteurized. Wouldn't that kill any chance of salmonella?

justinlarged

Awards
Hey I thought that this site might help out a little bit.
www.eggwhitesint.com
here is a quote from the site.
What's the difference between LIQUID and RAW egg whites? The human body cannot digest a raw egg white. So, if you like to do the “Rocky Routine� with a raw egg or raw egg white in your drink, you are wasting your time. Because of the Avidin found in a raw egg white, your body cannot digest a raw egg white. Not to mention the threat of Salmonella. You must cook the egg white to neutralize the Avidin and allow your body to digest the protein. Too much Avidin in your system can cause a Biotin deficiency.

Plus this makes it easier than cracking open 12 eggs everymorning! :thumbsup:
here is a little more

n. A protein, found in uncooked egg white, that binds to and inactivates biotin and which, when present in abundance, can result in a deficiency of biotin.

So I guess if you are going to suck down raw eggs anyway you may want to supplement with a couple B-vitamins.

Last edited:

BigChuckles

Awards
i at one time read ONE claim (might have been an abstract) that there were issues absorbing protein from the raw albumin (whites). i haven't seen this confirmed, or any strong scientific basis for this claim.

so, i'm skeptical

in regards to salmonella, i read a stat once that showed the chance of catching salmonella from a given raw egg. it was somewhere around 1/15,000 iirc.

and my understanding is that washing reduces that risk

however, if you ever GEt salmonella, from what i understand, you probably won't even look at an egg for the rest of your life. it's pretty terrible
Well if the probability of an egg having salmonella is 1/15000 and assuming that eggs containing salmonella are distributed randomly, then the consumption of 1 dozen eggs per day will cause one to contract salmonella in around 3.5 years.

I'm just being a nerd so don't take that as what happens in the real world :thumbsup:

bionicBC

Banned
Awards
Hey I thought that this site might help out a little bit.
www.eggwhitesint.com
here is a quote from the site.
What's the difference between LIQUID and RAW egg whites? The human body cannot digest a raw egg white. So, if you like to do the “Rocky Routineâ€? with a raw egg or raw egg white in your drink, you are wasting your time. Because of the Avidin found in a raw egg white, your body cannot digest a raw egg white. Not to mention the threat of Salmonella. You must cook the egg white to neutralize the Avidin and allow your body to digest the protein. Too much Avidin in your system can cause a Biotin deficiency.​

Plus this makes it easier than cracking open 12 eggs everymorning! :thumbsup:​

here is a little more

n. A protein, found in uncooked egg white, that binds to and inactivates biotin and which, when present in abundance, can result in a deficiency of biotin.

So I guess if you are going to suck down raw eggs anyway you may want to supplement with a couple B-vitamins.
Not true, ive got a thread ive gotta find it, ill get back to you, but this is BULL**** though. Your body will digest it fine, can i get a mod to back me up on this one?
BC

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Your body will digest it just fine,the biotin argument would only apply if you eat 2 dozen at a time,beside the yolk contains biotin...

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
****, it timeout'd so I've to type in all over again.

Anyway my favourite brand is 'the country hen'. Free running and organic and its tastes great. So much so I don't like eating normal ones anymore if its raw/softboiled. If its scrambled/fried/huevo rancheros with salsa then no difference in taste.

I thinks freerunning organic eggs taste better because hens get to scratch and eat bugs/greens/worms instead of eating grains all the time. Also the yellow yolk is from carotenoids and not artificial yellow in grain feed.

Pastured dairy products like kerrygold butter tastes great also.

http://people.bu.edu/gh/eggs/
for info on some other brands.

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I use the whole egg-a lot of people think that its better, for cholesterol reasons, exc, to just use the white, but there is a lot to be gained from the yolk, too- I say use it all.
I think the commonly held view that eggs harm cholesterol levels is wrong, check out the article below:
American Journal of Clinical Nutrition October 2004 80(4);855-861

Eggs Improve bad Cholesterol

There continues to be a major fear from most of the population that eating eggs will increase their cholesterol levels and their risk of dying from a heart attack. Next month's American Journal of Clinical Nutrition has a study that helps to put this myth to rest.

Previous studies have shown that consuming eggs increases the bad cholesterol (LDL) in some people. Well what the researchers never did is evaluate the specific subclasses of LDL cholesterol. The smaller subfractions of LDL are more dangerous and associated with an increased risk of heart disease while the larger ones are not dangerous. This study done in Mexican children showed that giving them two eggs a day actually increased many of their LDL levels, but when it was broken down by subclasses, the dangerous levels actually decreased.

So you can kiss your fear of eggs good-bye. There have been a number of previous studies that have supported that eggs do not increase your risk of heart disease. So go ahead have your eggs as they are one of the healthiest foods on the planet.

While you are at it, please be sure and purchase healthy eggs as they are not that much more expensive than commercial factory raised chicken eggs. Please be sure to look for free range organic on the box. If they have omega-3 added that is a a plus but not necessary as you have to be careful of the source anyway. You would have to contact the company but if they are using flaxseed to increase the omega-3 fats they won't be as beneficial as if they feed the chickens seaweed or kelp which have the far more beneficial DHA and EPA.

If you want to fine tune your egg consumption it is best not to cook them. This helps preserve many of the highly perishable nutrients such as lutein, and zeaxanthin which are powerful prevention elements of the most common cause of blindness, age related macular degeneration. No sense in taking supplements of these incredible antioxidants when you get the nutrients for free from eggs.

Some may be concerned about the risk of salmonella from raw eggs, but I analyzed the risk a few years ago and most people have a better chance of winning the lottery than contracting salmonella from eggs from healthy chickens. Personally I consume three raw eggs nearly every morning as part of my breakfast and believe it has enormously contributed to my health.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Bad Cholesterol is mainly a genetic thing right?
Meaning if you are not predispoed, you can eat eggs all day?

justinlarged

Awards
Not true, ive got a thread ive gotta find it, ill get back to you, but this is BULLSHIT though. Your body will digest it fine, can i get a mod to back me up on this one?
BC
Yeah I would like to know if that is a load. It is much cheaper to just buy real eggs and crack em`. I hope that there is little truth to egg whites ints. claims. (they are marketing their own product they are trying to sell here...)

bionicBC

Banned
Awards
Your body will digest it just fine,the biotin argument would only apply if you eat 2 dozen at a time,beside the yolk contains biotin...
Yea madman, but you DO eat 2 dozen eggs at a time, remember. j/k lol...
Really, though, eat all the eggs you want in my opinion, raw or not-cheap as hell and a damn good source of protein...
BC

migs

Awards
so is it true that the raw eggwhites are useless ? I blend 5 whole eggs/shake with milk, honey and raw oats.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Brocodeout69 Nutrition / Health 71
bell1986 Nutrition / Health 15
william247 Bulking 24
cory0475 Bulking 25
Weight Loss 11