Cutting Fat

Stringbean

Awards
Ok so I am trying to cut down fat and get down to about 12% BF. I am 6'3 255 at about 20% BF right now.
I am starting a new diet today. 10% Carbs 50% Protein 40% Fats. I am going to be eating mainly chicken, fish, rice, and whole grain Tortillas.
Very little fruit. Any advice or input on this please let me know.

clauncher

Awards
I am 215 - 6' at 14ish maybe less it has been a few weeks.

Are you exercising, cardio, Weights?

Not knowing anything else your low card intake should take a long time to digest. The legumes listed below are packed with fiber and will digrst slowly to help you with energy, should assit in burning fat as well.

For your ten percent carbs (this seems a bit low) but if i were going that low I would add eggwhites to the protien line up and possible substitute Pink Bans and/yellow split peas (cooked in Chicken boullion) for rice and tortillas. my .02

davidq

davidq

Awards
Cutting all carbs and gettin gthebody into ketosis is a fast was also get yourself a good fat burner.clen and caffine

Stringbean

Awards
I am 215 - 6' at 14ish maybe less it has been a few weeks.

Are you exercising, cardio, Weights?

Not knowing anything else your low card intake should take a long time to digest. The legumes listed below are packed with fiber and will digrst slowly to help you with energy, should assit in burning fat as well.

For your ten percent carbs (this seems a bit low) but if i were going that low I would add eggwhites to the protien line up and possible substitute Pink Bans and/yellow split peas (cooked in Chicken boullion) for rice and tortillas. my .02
Yea I hit the Weights 5 days a week. Hard!

AustrianOakJr

AustrianOakJr

Awards
Any particular reason you want to slash your carbs so heavily? Carbs keep your metabolism moving and assist in fat burning. The fat burns within the fire of carbohydrates. Slash your carbs like that and you will likely experience a real woosh of weight loss right out of the gate but its mostly the water leaving....some interstitial but much of it intracellular. People get real excited about a low carb diet bc of the initial weight loss but if you plan to be cutting for some time I would highly recommend keeping the carbs in your diet for a slow and steady FAT loss plan. Your metabolism will thank you for it.

Stringbean

Awards
Any particular reason you want to slash your carbs so heavily? Carbs keep your metabolism moving and assist in fat burning. The fat burns within the fire of carbohydrates. Slash your carbs like that and you will likely experience a real woosh of weight loss right out of the gate but its mostly the water leaving....some interstitial but much of it intracellular. People get real excited about a low carb diet bc of the initial weight loss but if you plan to be cutting for some time I would highly recommend keeping the carbs in your diet for a slow and steady FAT loss plan. Your metabolism will thank you for it.
So then what type of diet do you recommend? I have been told so much stuff I don't know what will work and what won't.

clauncher

Awards
Sb,
It seems if you had more carbs you could have more energy to do those 5 weight, which out knowing any more I would cut to 3 at a max.

AustrianOakJr

AustrianOakJr

Awards
So then what type of diet do you recommend? I have been told so much stuff I don't know what will work and what won't.
Ultimately, its gonna come down to trial and error. But I know from experience that when a bodybuilder diets, its generally more effective to diet WITH carbohydrates. Our workouts are fueled by carbohydrates and when we dont provide our body with the fuel it prefers it will MAKE the fuel it prefers (glucose) through gluconeogenesis. However, this triggers a number of hormonal and metabolic responses that are not favorable over the long haul. Cellular metabolism is driven by glucose and thats why we say that fat is burned in the fire of carbohydrates. If metabolism is healthy and vibrant we burn more fat for fuel. And because our bodies are adapted to spare glycogen for our intense training we tend to burn more fat for fuel during our normal day to day activities. This isnt to say that low carb doesnt work, its just not optimal for an athlete.

So what kind of diet should you do? Well, a diet that is lower in calories than you burn :). A reduction in bodyfat comes from a net loss of fat over days, weeks, months, etc in a calorie deficit. My generic template I often suggest to someone just starting out is a 500-1000 calorie per day deficit broken down into moderate protein, moderate carb and moderate/low fat. I usually suggest 1.25g per pound of LEAN MASS for protein (so if you are 255 lbs and 20% BF, thats equivalent to 250g protein). I also recommend 20% of total calories from fat and then fill the rest of your diet with carbs. But like I said it will take some playing around.....some trial and error to find out where your calories should be for the fat loss you desire. My GUESS at 200 lbs of lean mass your maintenance has to be in the 3000-3500 cal ball park? So a 500 cal deficit would look something like 250 protein, 300-350 carb and 75g of fat. If thats causes too much weight loss, up the carbs or vice versa...if not enough, drop the carbs down. But I believe these ratios will keep your metabolism stoked and the fat melting off once the calorie level is dialed in. Of course, this is going to require you to weigh, track and measure.....so you gotta WANT it. :)

Stringbean

Awards
Ultimately, its gonna come down to trial and error. But I know from experience that when a bodybuilder diets, its generally more effective to diet WITH carbohydrates. Our workouts are fueled by carbohydrates and when we dont provide our body with the fuel it prefers it will MAKE the fuel it prefers (glucose) through gluconeogenesis. However, this triggers a number of hormonal and metabolic responses that are not favorable over the long haul. Cellular metabolism is driven by glucose and thats why we say that fat is burned in the fire of carbohydrates. If metabolism is healthy and vibrant we burn more fat for fuel. And because our bodies are adapted to spare glycogen for our intense training we tend to burn more fat for fuel during our normal day to day activities. This isnt to say that low carb doesnt work, its just not optimal for an athlete.

So what kind of diet should you do? Well, a diet that is lower in calories than you burn :). A reduction in bodyfat comes from a net loss of fat over days, weeks, months, etc in a calorie deficit. My generic template I often suggest to someone just starting out is a 500-1000 calorie per day deficit broken down into moderate protein, moderate carb and moderate/low fat. I usually suggest 1.25g per pound of LEAN MASS for protein (so if you are 255 lbs and 20% BF, thats equivalent to 250g protein). I also recommend 20% of total calories from fat and then fill the rest of your diet with carbs. But like I said it will take some playing around.....some trial and error to find out where your calories should be for the fat loss you desire. My GUESS at 200 lbs of lean mass your maintenance has to be in the 3000-3500 cal ball park? So a 500 cal deficit would look something like 250 protein, 300-350 carb and 75g of fat. If thats causes too much weight loss, up the carbs or vice versa...if not enough, drop the carbs down. But I believe these ratios will keep your metabolism stoked and the fat melting off once the calorie level is dialed in. Of course, this is going to require you to weigh, track and measure.....so you gotta WANT it. :)
Man this is the kind of info I was looking for. I really appreciate it. I am going to try this out and see how it goes. One last question, as far as cardio goes, right after lifting, in the morning what?

Cheranine

Cheranine

Awards
I have been carb cycling since June. Used the calculator on scoobys workshop site .. went really well for the first month or 2 then it started slowing down. I have adjusted my diet to be more .. real.. than strictly oats, tuna and frozen veges over the months but still well within the macros and I eat very little bread. I do a lot of cardio and currently 3 weeks into 5x5.

Funnily enough after such a long deficit over the years, I had to actually UP my calories. They were more sensible, but in my case I believe I was in such a drastic deficit over the years that it ruined my bodies ability to burn fat. Im stuck with the mid section now.