How much Sat/Trans fat makes it to adipose?

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I usually use the "10 grams of saturated fat in this candy bar will turn into 10 grams of fat on my body" mentality to sway myself from eating fattening things. But I was wondering if this is actually true.

Also, what is the difference between saturated and trans fats? I know trans shouldn't ever make it into a bodybuilder's body... why is it so bad?

Physicist

Awards
Great question, I was wondering something similar. A coworker brought in a cheesecake, got me wondering if milkfat has any place in a healthy diet. Please let me know how bad saturated milkfat is, make it a little easier to refuse free cheesecake.

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Fat in the diet does not necessarly translate into fat on the body, overall calorie intake also needs to be considered, although some types of fats are more readily stored as bodyfat than others.

Trans fats are the ones to avoid. Hydrogenated vegtable oils are vegtable oils which are usually liquid at room temperatures, they change the structure with hydrogen which makes the unsaturated bonds saturated and produces a fat which is solid/speadable at room temp then use it instead of traditional fats like butter, lard,tallow and shortning.

A quick search on askjeaves threw up the following:

Trans-Fats

Also indexed as: Hydrogenated Oils, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils, Margarine, Partially-Hydrogenated Oils, Vegetable Shortening

Like butter, margarine is often used as a spread; when cooking with margarine, do not heat it to high temperatures.

Trans fats are produced through hydrogenation, a chemical process by which hydrogen is added to unsaturated fatty acids. Hydrogenation converts the unsaturated bonds in the oil into saturated bonds, creating a solid, spreadable fat with increased shelf life. Hydrogenation gets rid of some double bonds, but incompletely transforms others. These double bonds are transformed from the natural “cis� configuration to the “trans� configuration. Research indicates that eating trans fats is associated with an increased risk for heart disease.

Varieties

Margarine

Margarine was developed in the late 1800s as an inexpensive alternative to butter. Typically margarine is made from one or more partially hydrogenated vegetable oils (soy, corn, sunflower, or safflower), but it may also contain animal fats.

Packaged baked goods, crackers and chips

Most processed foods contain partially hydrogenated soybean, coconut, or palm oil.

Vegetable shortening

Vegetable shortening is created by the complete hydrogenation of vegetable oil. Because the hydrogenation process is complete, the shortening contains very few trans fats.

Buying and storing tips

A variety of margarines are available. They include hard, soft, liquid, whipped, salted, unsalted, and diet. Soft margarines are not fully hydrogenated and contain fewer trans fats. Margarine can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer. To prevent it form absorbing food odors, make sure that the container is sealed or that the margarine is well wrapped. Store vegetable shortening in sealed container in a cool, dry place.

Availability

Margarine and vegetable shortening are available in most grocery stores and some natural food stores.

Preparation, uses and tips

Like butter, margarine is used as a spread. In addition, margarine can replace butter in cooking and baking. Margarine should not be heated to high temperatures.

Nutritional Highlights

Margarine, 1 tsp margarine (5g) (hydrogenated, corn oil)
Calories: 34
Protein: 0.04g
Carbohydrate: 0.04g
Total Fat: 3.8g
Fiber: 0.0g

Health benefits and concerns

Atherosclerosis

Among the most important dietary changes in protecting arteries from atherosclerosis is avoiding foods that contain trans fatty acids (margarine, some vegetable oil and many processed foods containing vegetable oil). Increasingly, the importance of avoiding trans fatty acids is being accepted by the scientific community. Leading researchers have recently begun to view the evidence linking trans fatty acids to markers for heart disease as “unequivocal.�

High cholesterol

Trans fatty acids (TFAs) are found in processed foods containing partially hydrogenated oil. The highest levels occur in margarine. Margarine consumption is linked to increased risk of unfavorable changes in cholesterol levels and heart disease. Therefore, margarine and other processed foods containing partially hydrogenated oil should be avoided.

High homocysteine

People with high homocysteine levels are typically advised to reduce their consumption of processed foods, meat, and saturated fats, because these dietary changes lower the risk of heart disease.

Preeclampsia

Data from one preliminary trial suggest diets high in trans fatty acids are associated with an increased risk of preeclampsia. Trans fatty acids are found in partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, such as margarine.

Ulcerative colitis (UC)

In one study, people with a high intake of animal fat and cholesterol had a four-fold increase in risk of UC, compared with people who consumed lower amounts of these fats. Another study found that ingestion of certain high-fat foods (particularly margarine) was associated with increased risk of UC. Although these associations do not prove cause-and-effect, reducing one’s intake of animal fats is often recommended as a means of improving overall health.

Health benefits and concerns for fats and oils
Many health benefits and concerns associated with this food are applicable to other fats and oils. Read about health benefits and concerns for fats and oils for a full description.

Dan

Awards
It depends on a lot of factors.... If you havent eaten anything for for hours, and then eat 10g of sat fat by itself, I think its safe to say that none of that will be stored as adipose. However, if you ate 10g of sat fat with lots of carbs then its probably going to store as fat. As wannabe said, overall caloric intake is what really matters. You can have 100% of your daily calories coming from saturated fat, but if the total amount of calories is lower than the amount of calories your body is burning, you'll still loose weight. Check out www.mercola.com and read "The Truth About Saturated Fat." Mercola explains why saturated fat is not as bad as the media leads you to believe, and I agree with him. Saturated fats have been a staple in the diets of most cultures for thousands of years, and suddenly they are horrible for our health? Ha!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mercola is also wrong on many fronts as he does not look at circulating times of saturated fats and the timeframe in which it takes to break those bonds (since they are completely full, hence saturated). Mercola is a great source of information but is highly influenced by "certain" groups.

The biggest problem with saturated and trans-fatty acids in terms of weight loss is the time it takes the body to break down those fats because the bonds are saturated. During that time the body will most likley not release triglycerides from stored adipose cells until those bonds are broken down and those FFA's are cleared (oxidized for energy). Once they are cleared then a deficit will occur (if your diet is right) and normal release can continue. If not, then the amount of fat loss will be very minimal. Saturated and trans-fatty acids can circulate for up to 9 hours so their is a reason many stall out on CKD's consuming an abundance of fat.

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the better explanation bobo, how much saturated fat do you feel is acceptable in a diet? I apprecaite this may change depending on your goals but i would be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
There really is no set number for me. I try to keep it as low as possible but you would be surprised how much you actually take in even though you are trying to adhere to a low fat diet. Its doesn't take much to add up quickly.

Dan

Awards
That's all fine and good for keto, and I understand your point Bobo, but the body is still subject to the laws of physics. I wasn't suggesting that you should have a high fat weight loss diet, I was just trying to illustrate a point. But thanks for going into more detail, that's good to know.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its more like laws of physiology. If it was just about calories, it would be easy.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Mercola is also wrong on many fronts as he does not look at circulating times of saturated fats and the timeframe in which it takes to break those bonds (since they are completely full, hence saturated). Mercola is a great source of information but is highly influenced by "certain" groups.

The biggest problem with saturated and trans-fatty acids in terms of weight loss is the time it takes the body to break down those fats because the bonds are saturated. During that time the body will most likley not release triglycerides from stored adipose cells until those bonds are broken down and those FFA's are cleared (oxidized for energy). Once they are cleared then a deficit will occur (if your diet is right) and normal release can continue. If not, then the amount of fat loss will be very minimal. Saturated and trans-fatty acids can circulate for up to 9 hours so their is a reason many stall out on CKD's consuming an abundance of fat.
this is interesting.

Bobo would that mean you could eat a meal containing protein & saturated fats before bed to keep your body in an anabolic state overnight?

i work afternoon shift and always looking forward to a midnight snack when i get home....................like bacon & eggs!!! :thumbsup:

Jag

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Technically yes but since your bodies metabolism is greatly reduced during times of REM sleep, the chance of that energy being stored is much higher. A slower digesting protein with clean fats would be a better choice.

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
i recall reading a study where it was shown thaT increasing levels of sat. fat increased T levels.

irrelevant for 'aided" lifters, but something to be considered.

i'll see if i can find it

IHateGymMorons

Banned
Awards
Slow protein and EFA's is your best bet. It's not a good idea to eat a meal with 100% saturated fats as the fat source. Saturated fats, and Omega 6's like corn and soybean oil are more readily stored as fats. Monos and Omega 3's are safer in higher amounts. I wouldn't try to eliminate saturated fats all together, their required for many reasons, but it's pretty easy to get the amount required.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
i recall reading a study where it was shown thaT increasing levels of sat. fat increased T levels.

irrelevant for 'aided" lifters, but something to be considered.

i'll see if i can find it
i've also heard this.

i've done a keto diet twice before & eaten my fair share of saturated fats but i didn't really get the fat loss i was after.

i put on a lot of "good" size & got extremely strong.

i might have dropped a bit of bodyfat but nothing to get excited about.

i think i might stick to clean fats for a while this time & then add some saturated fats in once i get a bit leaner.

Jag

IHateGymMorons

Banned
Awards
as long as your eating some beef, whole eggs, and dairy, you're going to get some good amount of saturated fats.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The increase was in free testosterone. It would be hardly noticeable in anytone with normal HTPA production and it also aromatizes at an extremely fast rate to maintain homeostasis. This is also why Proviron is bogus for increasing free testosterone while "on". It simply metabolizes too rapidly to have any positive results.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
still on keto but just slightly off topic though.

how does caffeine effect low carb dieting? i know Atkins didn't recommend it but bb'ers are a differant target.

i've heard/read it spikes insulin & also that it doesn't so once & for all.................!! :think:

i've got a thermogenic protein powder with 60mg of caffeine per serve & Cytrus Arantium which i use post w/o & occassionally pre w/o which for me is first thing in the morning.

it's fantastic for those low energy days. i sometimes have a strong coffee as well.
no more ECA's for me so this was a good find.

Jag

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No insulin spike. No worries.

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established

this is interesting.

Bobo would that mean you could eat a meal containing protein & saturated fats before bed to keep your body in an anabolic state overnight?

i work afternoon shift and always looking forward to a midnight snack when i get home....................like bacon & eggs!!! :thumbsup:

Jag
I work nights, and always eat bacon, an omelette with egg beaters, ham, cheese and onions, and 5 hard boiled eggs right before I go to bed. It's free for me (military) and convienient as the Dining Facility is opening and there are no lines right as I'm getting off work. I've been doing this for a while now whether cutting or bulking. When cutting I decrease the amount of bacon.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
supersoldier,

i'm extremely envious as i've also done that on a regular basis.

i'm about half an hour from bed and trying to drink down a shake with 3 eggs, 1 heaping scoop of cassein, 1/2 a spoon of MSM & a splash of olive oil mixed in water.................................absolutlely, f****n disgusting!!!

tastes like dissolved chalk!! :twisted:

Jag

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
supersoldier,

i'm extremely envious as i've also done that on a regular basis.

i'm about half an hour from bed and trying to drink down a shake with 3 eggs, 1 heaping scoop of cassein, 1/2 a spoon of MSM & a splash of olive oil mixed in water.................................absolutlely, f****n disgusting!!!

tastes like dissolved chalk!! :twisted:

Jag
I find a good flavored protein shake with flax oil, as long as it's cold, to be delicious. I've used chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry from BSL. :thumbsup:

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
supersoldier,

i've found that most flavorings have carbs in it and i have a carb day every 4th day as long as i have as close to zero carbs during the preceding 3 days as i can.

a spoonful of honey post w/o & some fibrous veges for lunch with my meat meal are the only carbs i have so i'm done with carbs around midday.

the results i'm getting in fat loss at the moment can justify the taste & lack of eating pleasure of my diet for 3 days.

it's slow but steady & that's just the way i like it.

Jag