Cooking meat and nutrients...

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I was wondering if anybody knew any info about how nutritional info is changed based on how meat is prepared? In other words, does a rare steak have the same nutritional qualities as a well done steak?? Just curious..

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I was wondering if anybody knew any info about how nutritional info is changed based on how meat is prepared? In other words, does a rare steak have the same nutritional qualities as a well done steak?? Just curious..

Bump good question I often wondered the same thing...

found in a google search

Cooked Meat VS Uncooked Requires Adobe Reader

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Good link MadMan. Here's what slide 20 says re: cooking:

The nutritional content of meat changes minimally with cooking.
Protein content stays the same
Fat content may increase or decrease depending on whether fat melts of or is introduced via crumbing, batter etc
Minerals fairly stable
Vitamins may be lost, depend upon time, temperature & method
Lots of water increases loss of water-soluble B vitamins

Bump good question I often wondered the same thing...

found in a google search

Cooked Meat VS Uncooked Requires Adobe Reader

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

Thanks for the cliff note version Intv im at work and didn't have time to read it... :goodpost:

Edge

Awards
I do not believe this quote. Coagulation can cause the protein to denature. So yes high heat will cause coagulation and denaturing of meat. Thats why you typically cook me slow and well. But as far as well done and rare and the such, no big deal.

Dan

Awards
I do not believe this quote. Coagulation can cause the protein to denature. So yes high heat will cause coagulation and denaturing of meat. Thats why you typically cook me slow and well. But as far as well done and rare and the such, no big deal.
Ah, every time you cook meat you denature it, thats why it changes colour. Just because the protein is denatured, doesn't mean your body can't digest it. Hell, you have to denature egg whites for your body to absorb protein from them at all. Even if you could cook meat without denaturing it, it wouldn't matter because stomach acid denatures protein as well (my bio teacher had a fetish for pouring HCl on stuff).

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Someone wrote an article about this somewhere....

:frustrate

:hammer:

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Techincally no, but the change is minimal and really would have zero effect.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
Someone wrote an article about this somewhere....

:frustrate

:hammer:
LOL
I should go back and read the three protein articles you've posted - they're VERY informative and I do remember this thing about "denaturation"...

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks bro.... read up ;)