Calorie Counting

Neuromancer

Awards
  • Established
I would like to start counting calories rather than just guessing like I always have :rolleyes: and am just curious how most of you do it? Use sites and software like fitday...etc? Or a more simpler approach?

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
I just have piece of paper with most food I eat.

Once you start doing it, in 2-3 weeks you'll be able to count calories
in your head, if you eat pretty much the same food every day, no problem.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
i do not. but recommend it (hehe) The food i eat day in and day out are pretty consistant so I know that I'm getting 5-6 meals in a day, most around 600-650 calories. When cutting, I adjust according.... 5-6 meals per day, 450-500 calorie per meal ballpark figure. I eat out quite often, so counting calories is tough.
Sage

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I use Bobo.. he costs alittle bit but I get to eat all of the broccoli and tuna I don't want ;) Serioiusly, there are several good sites out there fitday comes to mind

cr4ytonic

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I use excel, I can play with my diet at work and it looks like I am doing something productive :)

Chunky

Awards
I use fitday.com.

I did enter all my personnal food that were not on the web site, and it is working great now, and time will come that will not need a calorie counter when you will use one daily, because you will know all the caloric value of the food you are eating.

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
For the foods I eat, I have most of the nutrition facts memorized. I have never used anything like fitday. Once I see nutrition facts for something it is damn near impossible for me to forget it. I just write down the foods I eat on some scrap paper and write beside them their nutrition facts. Add them up at the end of the day to make sure I am not overeating.

To make it even easier, I don't go by specific meals. If I want a 550 kcal can of green beans for instance, I write that down as one entry rather than specific little servings. I know I'll always finish eating what I write down anyhow.

Neuromancer

Awards
  • Established
Alot of times its hard to use software or fitday because of the meals my wife makes with sauces and lots of ingredients. Not overly concerned with every little calorie, just trying to get a good estimation. Thanks fellas.

Hey cr4y, could I get a look at the excel sheet you made up?

cr4ytonic

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yeah, lemme see if I can figure out how to upload it...

cr4ytonic

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Here is what I have, not the best diet but still working on it.

When you download it rename it to .xls, I had to change the extension to .jpg for it to let me upload it. :think:

I eat the exact same meal each day, every week so it is easy to keep track of the numbers.

Attachments

wimpy

Awards
attached is an excel sheet i use for tracking calories. the values are probably not 100% accurate, but i tried to get as close as i could. values are taken from food labels, bb.com's database and other sources.

edit: also had to change to .jpg to upload. save as and chenge the extention to .xls

Attachments

gsteclipse97

Awards
Here is what I have, not the best diet but still working on it.

When you download it rename it to .xls, I had to change the extension to .jpg for it to let me upload it. :think:

I eat the exact same meal each day, every week so it is easy to keep track of the numbers.
Awesome man, i was just gettin ready to make something similar but yours is exactly what i need. Thanks

cr4ytonic

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
No problem. Please post yours up when you are done if you have the time, always fun and educational to see what others are doing.

Neuromancer

Awards
  • Established
Appreciate it cr4ytonic...gonna take a look at it now...:)

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
When I don't have exact nutrition information for something and I don't know exactly what went into it, I usually just pick something similar from their list of foods as a placeholder.

I find that I have much better staying power on a diet if I keep detailed logs of what I eat... The less I log, the more I diverge from my planned diet over time, till, you guessed it, hogfest :)