Postworkout carbs

xil

Awards
I'm trying the low GI route for PW and have been using oats. Since PW is a time we want to keep fats to a minimal, I'm just wondering about the amount of fat in oatmeal, should we just disregard it or use an alternate source for PW carbs? If alternate source, whhat exactly? Rice, sweet potatoes...?

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
I don't think it will be a problem. Skim milk is also a good carb source for pwo.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
Good topic. I have some questions too. First, for post-w/o, I like to eat cereal with whey protein shake poured on top, because it seems like (even "healthy") cereals are sugary, high-glycemic carb bombs which otherwise would be good to avoid. The need for fast carbs seems like a good time to indulge. Any opinions on this? I mean, I know the "perfect" post w/o thing is like 60-80g mix of maltodextrin/dextrose with 30-50 g of hydrolized whey blah blah, but wouldn't a solid (and satisfying), real-world alternative be something like cereal and whey?
On your query, xil, I think you can't really lose with something as good as oatmeal. The only question is whether the low GI carb and fat content would slow absorbtion of the protein too much. I guess it's a legit concern, but sometimes I think its just a ploy to get people to buy certain supps and protein mixes or whatever.

xil

Awards
I know the "perfect" post w/o thing is like 60-80g mix of maltodextrin/dextrose with 30-50 g of hydrolized whey blah blah
There's been many discussions about the whole high GI thing and it's been shown many times that what you just listed isn't "perfect" but rather far from it... the idea people think it's perfect is because that's what the supp company tells us

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
I used to drink a shake and eat a cup of pineapple for my P/W meal. Now, I do the shake with a 1/2 cup of ground oats. I think the fats in the oats is minimal enough to not worry too much.

I think it was Mentzer that used to eat ice cream or pastries for his P/W meal. But, that was back in "The Day."

Rolling6s

Awards
For P/W I don't see why it's so difficult to get a combo of whey and dextrose(and/or a combo or dextrose and maltodextrin).

I've always seen great results postworkout with 50-60g protein and 70-90g dextrose, and I'll end up eating a good protein/carb meal 1.5hrs after that anyway.

cobra1414

Awards
For P/W I don't see why it's so difficult to get a combo of whey and dextrose(and/or a combo or dextrose and maltodextrin).

I've always seen great results postworkout with 50-60g protein and 70-90g dextrose, and I'll end up eating a good protein/carb meal 1.5hrs after that anyway.
Agreed this is the best way.

I enjoy the hell out of my PWO shake too, get a tasty protein and the dextrose is just icing on the cake!

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've tried both ways, and found that low GI carbs are MUCH more effective than dextrose/malto/fast carbs. I just feel that of that 60 gram sugar-shake, too much is dumped into adipose storage. I always felt bloated for like an hour after drinking dextrose/malto..

Good GOD..This question has been debated, fought over, argued, yelled about...

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm sorry for the stupid question... would gatorade powder be considered dextrose?

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure if it would be considered dextrose, but it is high glycemic. So in my opinion not a good idea.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I had to cut the dextrose,Post shake now contains Whey,creatine,powerade and malto..but I have been reading Bobo's take on High Gi and low Gi and im going to give the low Gi a try..The dextrose killed my stomach it felt like i swollowed a brick and would have to lay down for an hour....Remember folks this is like the high volume low volume training,we are all different and what works for one will not work for another. I believe alot has to do with body types,Endo,meso,ecto ect.this goes for training and diet as well,so try every which way and come up with a formula that works for you..

Last edited:

SCORPIO

Awards
  • Established
This is real easy for people to figure out. First use low gi post for a while......then use high gi for a while......next use 50/50 low/high gi post.....then decide what works best for you. I use one hand full of oats and 1-2 tbs banana instant pudding mix 'dex'....with 3scoops whey and a bit of milk.

Manu20

Manu20

Superman
Awards
  • Established
I have been using skim milk recently, I was previously using dextrose.

Dan

Awards
This is a subject I think people worry about too much. If you ask me, just so long as you are shoving a reasonable amount of carbs and protein down your throat in any form, you'll be fine. I know big guys that wait an hour to eat anything after they workout, so I don't think its gonna make or break your physique.

lancelot

Banned
Awards
  • Established
post w/o i do 30g oats + 20g dex/malto + 40g whey. you get it all!

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I prefer to take high gi carbs with bcaa/eaa's during my workout, when I know that they are going to be utilized for energy requirements for fueling the workout, and much less likely to be stored in adipose tissue, as I'm sipping on the mixture throughout, rather than ingesting them all at once. Once the workout is complete, I drink an oat/whey shake, followed by a solid meal 1.5 hours or so later.