Keto diet has begun!

SDSMS

Awards
So I've decided to go on a keto diet to get these last few pounds off and finally be known as the shredded guy. haha I know this is going to take some serious dedication and hard work, ultra low carb diets are zero fun!

I am committed though and would really appreciate some people's advice who have successfully gotten lean off a keto diet to chime in.
What type's of snacks and meals do you pack when going out for the day? (besides protein shakes and almonds haha) the problem is I am gone at class and running around for a good part of the day, so I need some stuff to pack that doesn't need refrigeration (preferably, but this may need to change).

my basic meal plan so far is:

meal 1: 5 eggs
meal 2: 2 scoop whey and 2 tbsp nat pb
meal 3: chicken breast or turkey and salad with olive oil and vinegar
meal 4: 2 scoop whey and 2 tbsp nat pb
meal 5: steak, chicken, or fish with low carb veggies and some type of healthy fat (avocado, olive oil)
I will throw in another protein shake if I have time for meal 6.
cals come out to about 2500 which seems good for cutting. My maintenance is about 3000 at 6'3" 220 lbs.

I posted something about supps a little while back but held off because I didn't want to stupidly get something and waste my money. But it looks like i'll be running alpha t-2 and erase. Was also thinking about need2slin and a stim since i'll be tired off reduced cals and carbs.

No plan on re-feeds yet. I've heard waiting a couple weeks is best and I've also heard never. But I think a one day refeed per week starting a few weeks down the line may be beneficial to keeping muscle and energy up as long as it doesnt send me straight out of ketosis and hinder my progress.

Motivation is high right now and I know it wil be difficult to maintain! So please post anything that you think will help! I am open to all responses as I am really going hard at this one!

Thanks guys and gals in advance. You all are a great help and motivation!

juiceless_joe

Awards
In my experience keto diets are very affective and hard on the butthole. Drink plenty of water and if you're having trouble getting that stick purple take shots of your favorite oil.

Looking at your diet I don't see a whole bunch of fats. Nattie PB is great but you might want to consider throwing in a shot of your favorite oil with your whey PB shakes, and fry your **** in butter or oil.

I noticed I get keto quicker by fasting the day before I start, but you might not be in a hurry.

Hey good luck brother, that stuff really works, got me down from 240-225 in 3 weeks.

SDSMS

Awards
In my experience keto diets are very affective and hard on the butthole. Drink plenty of water and if you're having trouble getting that stick purple take shots of your favorite oil.

Looking at your diet I don't see a whole bunch of fats. Nattie PB is great but you might want to consider throwing in a shot of your favorite oil with your whey PB shakes, and fry your **** in butter or oil.

I noticed I get keto quicker by fasting the day before I start, but you might not be in a hurry.

Hey good luck brother, that stuff really works, got me down from 240-225 in 3 weeks.
Hey thanks man! I did notice I don't have enough fats but I'll add in some oils and probably cheese. I am drinking over a gallon a day in water and yes I did notice it's hard on the digestive system. I've had some bad trips to the bathroom haha

I think I'm also getting to the point where I'm getting real hungry from no carbs. Any particular foods that helped you keep hunger down? It could also be that I'm struggling a bit to get in my cals, I feel like I'm eating too much but I'm hungry at times. Go figure haha good old dieting and adjustments...

Did you take any supps while on keto?

I appreciate the help bro!

JCarter

Awards
I have heard that there is a chance of suffering from pimples if you are on keto diet.
Lets hope for the best though.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Refeeds are always better than having none. You will net some weight at the end of the week, but you burn so hot you'll lose even more the following week. But maybe hold off a week (as in wait until the end of the second week) before doing a refeed. First week your body adjusts to low(er) carb diet and thus you have constipation (I assume that's what you're having?). In which case, hit up more fibrous, green vegetables and water. Afterwards you should be fine.

SDSMS

Awards
Refeeds are always better than having none. You will net some weight at the end of the week, but you burn so hot you'll lose even more the following week. But maybe hold off a week (as in wait until the end of the second week) before doing a refeed. First week your body adjusts to low(er) carb diet and thus you have constipation (I assume that's what you're having?). In which case, hit up more fibrous, green vegetables and water. Afterwards you should be fine.
Thanks for the advice! I am just hesitant with refeeds because of the weight gain you mentioned (even though it's temporary) and also I feel like a refeed is almost counterproductive if I'm trying to stay in keto and get as lean as possible. But of course I've never done the refeeds so I don't know exactly. I've just heard both ways, refeeds are good and that they're not... I'll probably take your advice though and wait a couple weeks initially. As far as the adjustment to the diet and going the the bathroom, it's not constipation. Actually the opposite, I have the runs and barely go. I'm getting in my cal requirements as well, so I'm not sure. I do tend to have a sensitive stomach though. My stomach digests slower than a regular so I'm sure purely fats and proteins don't help haha thanks again for the advice!

adam1987

Awards
The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used primarily to treat difficult-to-control epilepsy in children. It is unrelated to the diets used for bodybuilding and weight-loss, which often involve much lower levels of ketones. The diet mimics aspects of starvation by forcing the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates.

SDSMS

Awards
The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used primarily to treat difficult-to-control epilepsy in children. It is unrelated to the diets used for bodybuilding and weight-loss, which often involve much lower levels of ketones. The diet mimics aspects of starvation by forcing the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates.
I understand this but overall are you comparing the difference in a bodybuilding low carb diet vs a medical one? And thus saying the lower ketone level in a bodybuilders diet is due to the refeeds? Just clarifying, thanks

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thoughts or input anyone? Thanks!

The diet layout you have looks pretty good as long as those meat meals arent 4oz portions, lol. Make sure you watch the PB, i recommend weighing it because its extremely easy to overestimate calories with foods of a dense nature. A psyllium husk powder would definitely be something to consider, i usually throw a tsp or two into my shakes to keep me fuller and help bowel movements.

That Alpha-T2 and Erase stack is also going to help things out tremendously. I did a diet similar to yours using shift + Erase and had crazy results in eight weeks, if i used alpha t2 i imagine the progress would have been even better.

juiceless_joe

Awards
Hey thanks man! I did notice I don't have enough fats but I'll add in some oils and probably cheese. I am drinking over a gallon a day in water and yes I did notice it's hard on the digestive system. I've had some bad trips to the bathroom haha

I think I'm also getting to the point where I'm getting real hungry from no carbs. Any particular foods that helped you keep hunger down? It could also be that I'm struggling a bit to get in my cals, I feel like I'm eating too much but I'm hungry at times. Go figure haha good old dieting and adjustments...

Did you take any supps while on keto?

I appreciate the help bro!
I took a multi-vitamin, dosed caffeine at 100mg q4hrs on the fast day. (it's cheap and makes me feel good) Try to keep those leafy greens up. You can stay deeper in ketosis by fasting the day after your refeed, or just blasting the **** out of your cardio the day after. Be careful though, I almost passed out trying to superset deads and squats on my 3rd day on keto-diet, couldn't stand up, just sat on the bench holding my head like a shmuck. I had to seriously reduce workout intensity.

My filler food was leafy green salad with onions, no carrots or stuff like slathered in blue cheese dressing. Celery too. It's almost impossible to eat too many carbs strictly through fibrous leafy greens, plus they help the rear end. Water is a great filler too and also helps with the butt issue.

I felt hungry the whole time, even when I was turning that stick almost purple. My body wanted carbs, even in ketosis, so the hunger never went completely away.

I made low carb ice-cream with splenda, heavy cream, vanilla, unflavored almond milk and whey protein. That helped me when I craved sweet stuff.

That PB is probably your main source of carbs, so be careful with it.

SDSMS

Awards
I understand this but overall are you comparing the difference in a bodybuilding low carb diet vs a medical one? And thus saying the lower ketone level in a bodybuilders diet is due to the refeeds? Just clarifying, thanks

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Hey man, welcome to the Keto world.

First off, I really enjoy the diet so I hope you do as well.

Second, your diet right now, not quite keto I am sorry to say. Like it has been mentioned, not enough fats, not enough fats whatsoever. We are talking here 40 - 50% of your daily caloric intake to be from fats, from your diet it's looking more like 20-30, if that. Natty PB is good, but not great. Too many carbs in there. Pecans and Walnuts are your friends.

As far as your meats; way too lean. On a keto diet you're not gunning for the lean meats, remember, this is not a high protein diet; this is a high fat diet. If you're having your intake with lean protein you're basically shooting yourself on the foot. So here are some suggestions for you:

Replace all chicken / turkey and whatnot for a fat full meat. It can be a good 70/30 burger patty, or some sausage, bacon, steaks, etc. You're going to NEED that fat that comes along. A perfect split is a 70/30, which lands you right where you want calorie wise for the diet. If you were to eat just that all day long you would be in the perfect range.

Don't be afraid of some veggies; broccoli and asparagus are the best choices.

On your protein shake, watch out for the natty pb. Way too many carbs. By looking at your diet I believe just with those shakes you're going over 30g of carbs (say 4 from the shake, 12 from the PB, 2x a day, boom). Go for natty pb just once. Also, Almond milk. Almond milk unsweetened is a keto's best friend. 5g of fat per serving, no carbs. Switch your water up for that. Also, add some Macadamia Oil to your shake, a lot of free fat right there too.

Snacks; pecans, walnuts and other lower carb nuts are good. Salami, Peperoni, Ham, some fatty deli meat won't hurt either.

Again, remember, not a high protein diet - that will give you some sweet kidney stones and overwork them real bad without high fat, not to mention you won't go into ketosis - but a high fat diet. Fat should be a good half of your daily intake, don't be afraid to soak everything in olive oil and add fatty meats.

SDSMS

Awards
Hey man, welcome to the Keto world.

First off, I really enjoy the diet so I hope you do as well.

Second, your diet right now, not quite keto I am sorry to say. Like it has been mentioned, not enough fats, not enough fats whatsoever. We are talking here 40 - 50% of your daily caloric intake to be from fats, from your diet it's looking more like 20-30, if that. Natty PB is good, but not great. Too many carbs in there. Pecans and Walnuts are your friends.

As far as your meats; way too lean. On a keto diet you're not gunning for the lean meats, remember, this is not a high protein diet; this is a high fat diet. If you're having your intake with lean protein you're basically shooting yourself on the foot. So here are some suggestions for you:

Replace all chicken / turkey and whatnot for a fat full meat. It can be a good 70/30 burger patty, or some sausage, bacon, steaks, etc. You're going to NEED that fat that comes along. A perfect split is a 70/30, which lands you right where you want calorie wise for the diet. If you were to eat just that all day long you would be in the perfect range.

Don't be afraid of some veggies; broccoli and asparagus are the best choices.

On your protein shake, watch out for the natty pb. Way too many carbs. By looking at your diet I believe just with those shakes you're going over 30g of carbs (say 4 from the shake, 12 from the PB, 2x a day, boom). Go for natty pb just once. Also, Almond milk. Almond milk unsweetened is a keto's best friend. 5g of fat per serving, no carbs. Switch your water up for that. Also, add some Macadamia Oil to your shake, a lot of free fat right there too.

Snacks; pecans, walnuts and other lower carb nuts are good. Salami, Peperoni, Ham, some fatty deli meat won't hurt either.

Again, remember, not a high protein diet - that will give you some sweet kidney stones and overwork them real bad without high fat, not to mention you won't go into ketosis - but a high fat diet. Fat should be a good half of your daily intake, don't be afraid to soak everything in olive oil and add fatty meats.
First off I'd like to thank you for taking the time to write me such a detailed response. People like you keep motivation high and help us to gain valuable insight and tips.

I have incorporated a lot more fats in recently. I use a lot of olive oil when cooking. I will def cut back on the pb since it is 6 carbs per 2 tbsp. I've been using cheese on my eggs and also full fat dressing that only contain 1 carb. I'm still juggling the balance of macros trying to get in enough fats. Its hard for me to come up with meals that aren't predominately protein with some fats in there, because it seems like most fats are oils and nuts which aren't much of a meal. But even if it's chicken it's cooked in oil and I usually have something like a salad and full fat dressing so I feel like I'm fretting in a lot of fats.

I am still trying to pick up some ketostix to help see if I'm in ketosis. I know they aren't always reliable but will be a good help I think. I'm getting leaner and the scale has gone down 5 lbs in the last week with no strength loss. So I'm thinking the diet isn't too far off at this point.

All your advice is greatly appreciated and anything else you have to throw out there is more than welcomed!

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Not a problem, sir, that's what we are all here for, right?

I would suggest looking into Macadamia Oil, it's a VERY easy way to add fats (real good ones too) into your protein shakes. And you can load it up too. They add up fast if you take it with Almond Milk too.

Also, aside from the Chicken, look into some ground beef, some sausages and whatnot as an extra in the meals, won't hurt you I don't think.

But above all, good luck, hope you get the results you're looking for! I know that I, myself, love the diet.

vudoo

Awards
I love Mac Nut Oil in my protein shakes. Great for baking too!
You can pretty much find any oil for your favorite nut. Almond, walnut, pecan, you name it.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I love Mac Nut Oil in my protein shakes. Great for baking too!
You can pretty much find any oil for your favorite nut. Almond, walnut, pecan, you name it.
True story. Just love Macademia taste on protein shakes as well. Staple of mine.