Tuna and Mercury - AnabolicMinds.com

Tuna and Mercury

1. New Member

Tuna and Mercury

I'm having a can of Tuna now and i was thinking about the Mercury in fish. I don't eat fish much because of this and haven't for years but would like to add it back into my diet. I used to eat alot of tuna with ramen noodles(hookups). I have a ton of ramen noodles in my pantry and theve been sitting there for a long time because i never know what kind of protein to add in when i make them. Sometimes i'll have them with chunks of beef but tuna was cheaper. Is there anything that can be done to fish to take the mercury out or maybe someone came out with a fish with no mercury but affordable? any info on this

2. New Member

There is no way to remove the Mercury. The tolerance of the individual may vary, so not all people are equally susceptible to problems. Although as little as three servings a week of the large, long-lived predator fish (which tend to accumulate Mercury and include tuna) can cause problems, this is the exception rather than the rule. You are probably safe eating a can a day. Beyond that, try canned chicken or salmon (a fish that does not typically contain Mercury).
  3. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cogar
    There is no way to remove the Mercury. The tolerance of the individual may vary, so not all people are equally susceptible to problems. Although as little as three servings a week of the large, long-lived predator fish (which tend to accumulate Mercury and include tuna) can cause problems, this is the exception rather than the rule. You are probably safe eating a can a day. Beyond that, try canned chicken or salmon (a fish that does not typically contain Mercury).
    I thinks it's only the northern(something like that)salmon that doesn't contain mercury. Well,i guess i'll just have to keep it out of my diet. There is a place i know of that sells mercuryless fish but they want too much money
    •   

4. Elite Member

the only problem is that it next to impossible to catch fish without mercury (Hg). Hg in trace amounts is found in a ton of stuff and everything top level feeders eat contain small amounts, which are stored in the fat layers. Colder water fish like tuna have a larger fat level
  5. New Member

I love shrimp and lobster too. I'm going to get some fish oil for the health benefits since i won't be eating fish and i'll just add red meat to my ramen noodles if i even eat them. I'm thinking of just forcing myself to juice vegetables every day and eat healthier like i used to. I've been eating like **** for the past 8 months. You would think i was the one who was pregnant.
  6. New Member

I would think the biggest health risk betwwen the two would be the high amounts of trans fats in Ramen Noodles. Much more dangerous the the low amounts of mercury consumed from a couple cans of tuna.
  7. Professional Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcjosh13
    I would think the biggest health risk betwwen the two would be the high amounts of trans fats in Ramen Noodles. Much more dangerous the the low amounts of mercury consumed from a couple cans of tuna.
    Right on here. Manwhore what the hell are you doing eating Ramen Noodles?
  8. New Member

mercury levels in many kinds of fish are high. check out this calculator..input all the necessary info and see how much mercury your are ingesting. takes less than 30 seconds.

http://www.gotmercury.org/
  9. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcjosh13
    Trans fat in ramen noodles? What exactly is Trans fat and shouldn't it say it on the label? I always thought Hydrogenated oils were trans fats
  10. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jminis
    Right on here. Manwhore what the hell are you doing eating Ramen Noodles?
    Ramen noodles? You guys don't know about Hookups? :-)
  11. New Member

The BEEF ramen noodles have more fat and even say Hydro oil on label but i don't eat beef only chicken flavor....
  12. Ron Paul... phuck yeah!

NAC and ALA can bind and aid in excretion of Mercury from the body.
  13. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by riskarb
    NAC and ALA can bind and aid in excretion of Mercury from the body.
    Chlorella is very good,i have it but i don't see any reason to eat poison just to have to worry about flushing it out again. .. Well,except for Clams. I love clams and i don't believe there are high levels of mercury in clams as there are in tuna. I still eat fish but not too often.
  14. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Siberian
    mercury levels in many kinds of fish are high. check out this calculator..input all the necessary info and see how much mercury your are ingesting. takes less than 30 seconds.

http://www.gotmercury.org/
    Damn,according to this site,clams don't have alot of Mercury at all. I put down me eating 8lbs of clams and mercury level was nothing. I put down 1can of tuna and it was 200%. What a difference. O and only get wild caught clams...better nutrition value. Nice site. Wow.Clams Oysters and Shrimp have zero. All very good foods. The hell with Tuna and other fish.
  15. New Member

Question

Is it honestly that serious of a risk? I used to eat 2 sometimes even 3 or 4 cans of tuna a day when i was cutting, I never noticed any problems. I did know that it contained much higer mercury than others but I guess I never researched far enough. Is it seriously that taxing on the body?

regards,
    COTC
  16. New Member

from what I understand Mercury is very toxic to the human body but effects likely will show up much later.
  17. New Member

Just like poping open the glass vial in your thermostat and drinking it .... Yummy :-)
  18. New Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Manwhore
    I'm having a can of Tuna now and i was thinking about the Mercury in fish. I don't eat fish much because of this and haven't for years but would like to add it back into my diet. I used to eat alot of tuna with ramen noodles(hookups). I have a ton of ramen noodles in my pantry and theve been sitting there for a long time because i never know what kind of protein to add in when i make them. Sometimes i'll have them with chunks of beef but tuna was cheaper. Is there anything that can be done to fish to take the mercury out or maybe someone came out with a fish with no mercury but affordable? any info on this
    as people said before, you cant remove the mercury, but just for a ref, I ate 6-7 cans of tuna (Chicken of the sea chunk lite) a day for about I dunno 8 months, and didnt get any problems. I stopped because of the mercury ;P

EDIT: yee gads man!, according to that site I was getting like 380% my mercury norm every week, months on end. Ya know this does crack me up, you munch on AAS your a criminal because of the dangers, they launch an anti-steroid campaign, etc etc etc, yet they allow companies to sell polluted ass products and have no warning label or anything. I'm not really worried (the heart attack will nail me before the cancer) but it cracks me up
  19. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Meerschaum
    as people said before, you cant remove the meraury, but just for a ref, I ate 6-7 cans of tuna (Chicken of the sea chunk lite) a day for about I dunno 8 months, and didnt get any problems. I stopped because of the mercury ;P

EDIT: yee gads man!, according to that site I was getting like 380% my mercury norm every week, months on end. Ya know this does crack me up, you munch on AAS your a criminal because of the dangers, they launch an anti-steroid campaign, etc etc etc, yet they allow companies to sell polluted ass products and have no warning label or anything. I'm not really worried (the heart attack will nail me before the cancer) but it cracks me up
    The good ole USA
  20. New Member

i use a magnet to get rid of the mercury, works wonders!
  21. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manwhore
    Damn,according to this site,clams don't have alot of Mercury at all. I put down me eating 8lbs of clams and mercury level was nothing. I put down 1can of tuna and it was 200%. What a difference. O and only get wild caught clams...better nutrition value. Nice site. Wow.Clams Oysters and Shrimp have zero. All very good foods. The hell with Tuna and other fish.
    I don't know why it says zero ppm next to clams but if you look below after selecting it, it says; "There is no information regarding mercury contamination available for this species at this time. This does not mean that this species contains no mercury!"
  22. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo
    I don't know why it says zero ppm next to clams but if you look below after selecting it, it says; "There is no information regarding mercury contamination available for this species at this time. This does not mean that this species contains no mercury!"
    I thought it did. All seafood contains it since they all swim and eat in the same contaminated waters... Thanks to us humans
  23. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by taffer
    i use a magnet to get rid of the mercury, works wonders!
    Just make sure to use a strong enough one so you get in deep
  24. Elite Member

Cilantro extract has been proven to help the body rid itself of heavy metals.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...t_uids=8914687

From that pubmed article...

However, these mercury deposits, which commonly occur in such cases, were successfully eliminated by the oral intake of 100 mg tablet of Chinese parsley (Cilantro) 4 times a day (for average weight adults)
    BV
  25. New Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BigVrunga
    Cilantro extract has been proven to help the body rid itself of heavy metals.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...t_uids=8914687

From that pubmed article...

BV
    I'm gonna start munching on that **** hardcore :P thanks man
  26. Elite Member

27. New Member

but alot of people catch colds/get sick very fast when heavy metals start to leave the body... Something about the heavy metals keeping bacteria under control. I think Mercola says to take the detox slow . It's going to take some time if you've been eating Mercury for years. Reminds me of when my friends doc told him to start eating healthier because his BP and cholesterol where high so after a month he goes back and their still high and he asks me how could they be high i've been eating good for a month. I told him you eat **** for years and expect to clean it up in a month
  28. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

As a side note on fish, studies have shown that fresh caught salmon have much, much less concentration of various toxic chemicals. It seems that farm raised salmon have quite a bit of herb/pesticides contained in their fat cells due to washing into the ponds. So, get fresh caught, not farm raised.
  29. Elite Member

I used to manage at a Red Lobster, and I remember when that study hit the news. We got all these emails from Corporate headquarters detailing how we should talk to customers and the press about the issue, if we were asked about it.

According to them, the study wasn't scientifically sound and there was no hard evidence to prove that mercury levels were abnormally high in farm raised salmon.

Of course they would take that stance, Salmon being one of the top selling types of fish...but they *did* pull swordfish off the menu a few years ago for the exact same reason.

BV
  30. New Member

God damn - I heard about high mercury levels in tuna years ago but had brushed it under my mental carpet. Then today I read this post, worked out how much tuna I eat a week (130 oz) and that gotmercury site tells me that I'm getting 2130% of my "recommended" daily allowance of hg. But I never planned living past 45 anyway so f**k it. Surely I should be able to measure temperature by now or something :-)
  31. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmh80
    As a side note on fish, studies have shown that fresh caught salmon have much, much less concentration of various toxic chemicals. It seems that farm raised salmon have quite a bit of herb/pesticides contained in their fat cells due to washing into the ponds. So, get fresh caught, not farm raised.
    Farmed raised have less mercury but smin in own **** which isn't good. Alaskin salmon is supposed to have less mercury but i think all fish have at least some. Wild caught is always more nutritionous

Similar Forum Threads

1. Tuna and avocado cup
    By donagh in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2010, 02:40 PM
  2. canned tuna and mercury
    By jeiden in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 02-03-2009, 11:55 AM
  3. Tuna and Rice Casserole (bulk/low fat)
    By joeflex73 in forum Recipes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2008, 03:50 AM
  4. Tuna and Rice Casserole (bulk)
    By joeflex73 in forum Recipes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2008, 03:49 AM
  5. Tuna Mercury Contamination Alert!!
    By BigVrunga in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-31-2003, 11:34 PM