Does anyone hate the way they look while on a keto or low carb diet?

JayRock

Awards
I know it's silly reasoning to not do keto or low carb, but even at a higher bodyfat I look gaunt and just bad. I've even been told that by many other people that I know. My cheeks like hallow out easily, any muscle fullness I have is quickly gone. Has anyone else noticed that with themselves? I've noticed it in some celebs like The Rock, for quite a while he went low carb and lost some size and I thought he looked alot better more bulked up and fuller looking. Does it have something to do with bone structure maybe?

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know it's silly reasoning to not do keto or low carb, but even at a higher bodyfat I look gaunt and just bad. I've even been told that by many other people that I know. My cheeks like hallow out easily, any muscle fullness I have is quickly gone. Has anyone else noticed that with themselves? I've noticed it in some celebs like The Rock, for quite a while he went low carb and lost some size and I thought he looked alot better more bulked up and fuller looking. Does it have something to do with bone structure maybe?
Its because of the loss of glycogen. Having carb-ups (which you should have) on a decent basis will help prevent this from happening to some extent.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Low carb / keto diets make me look better in the face...more defined due to less bloat + less water... definitely liking that effect.

Weekend carbups make the muscles pop again though... so it's really not a big deal feeling a lil flat here n there

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
but its not silly reasoning not to do keto. Its pretty sensible. Particularly at high bodyfat, there isn't any advantage to keto over restricted calories in general. and even at low bodyfat, the primary advantage is just lower water retention, not better fat loss. If you are trying to lose weight/gain muscle to look a certain way, why use a strategy that leaves you unhappy with how you look while doing it?

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
but its not silly reasoning not to do keto. Its pretty sensible. Particularly at high bodyfat, there isn't any advantage to keto over restricted calories in general. and even at low bodyfat, the primary advantage is just lower water retention, not better fat loss. If you are trying to lose weight/gain muscle to look a certain way, why use a strategy that leaves you unhappy with how you look while doing it?
BINGO. I used to be all about very very low carb diets everytime I would cut. And it left me looking extremely flat. Now I adjust accordingly, keep the same amount of cals I know I need to lose fat on, and take in just enough to not make me look flat at all, and it works exactly the same for me in regards to fat loss. And I look MUCH more muscular while doing it.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Those last two posts are gold, listen to them.

JayRock

Awards
do women generally prefer men with a fuller look or with a more gaunt and famished look? I don't mean bulky per say but rather a little more fuller looking in the face etc? I have a good jawline, not extremely pronounced, but decent, deep set eyes and very high cheekbones, so even without glycogen and water I look terrible. I'm a 29 year old dad who's biggest concern is my main responsibility of keeping my family provided for, I don't have time to worry about looking like a magazine model.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
but why go out of your way to use a dietary strategy that doesn't help particularly any better towards your goals than a diet including carbs if you are going to be unhappy in the mirror? I always looked worse even at higher bodyfat %s when i was trying to do keto, and then I read enough scientific literature and studies to be confident that missing out on using keto isn't missing out on much. sure for last 4-8 weeks precontest its good precisely because part of why you look flat and gaunt is that you lose retained water along with the glycogen. Important for getting on stage sure, not particularly valuable day to day.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
If you are going to be on a low carb keto diet you need to give your body 1-2 cheat meals a week (depending on activity level) to restore glycogen (sugar) levels in your body and believe me you will get the fullness back into your muscles

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you are going to be on a low carb keto diet you need to give your body 1-2 cheat meals a week (depending on activity level) to restore glycogen (sugar) levels in your body and believe me you will get the fullness back into your muscles
This.

I've tried both a TKD with no refeed and a CKD with periodic refeeds. The CKD for me was not only psychologically easier since i could have a massive meal every few days, but it produced better results in my experience. Some people, like myself, just cant handle carbs very well.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Love the metabolic diet due to that; am able to carb up on Saturdays and look great during the week while eating everything I love.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hate keto diets for this reason...I feel so deflated and weak. Even though I know why it is it really messes with my head

Muel36

Awards
I'm on a keto diet and every time I'm on a cut phase for summer I can never seem to lose the last bit of body fat on my lower abs, love handles and ass cheeks. Any any advice to help? I'm a NCAA football player and have to be careful with what supps I take for testing reasons. Last off season I got pretty big for my height 5'7'' at 215 and cut down to 195 just before the season started this fall, but I still can't get rid of the extra baggage even with my 2 hour practice and in-season lifting twice a week. I eat around 200g of protein a day and lots of fats for energy but the fat won't come off. Can someone please give me some insight as to what I can do to change this. I would guess I'm around 12% body fat and would like to be 7 or 8.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Look into paleo instead of KETO

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
This.

Robb Wolf has some good ideas for athletes on paleo too.
And if this iPhone app had reppage I would totally rep you...

Love Robb wolf and his advice... Paleo FTW. My recovery is better... Sweet potatoes and red quinoa are my starchy/complex sources

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And if this iPhone app had reppage I would totally rep you...

Love Robb wolf and his advice... Paleo FTW. My recovery is better... Sweet potatoes and red quinoa are my starchy/complex sources
Yup. Same here. My iphone app has no rep button. :(

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Lol... U follow paleo?

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol... U follow paleo?
Yup. :)
Been paleo for around 4 months. Had a few non paleo events. Mainly because I got married and had to eat my wedding cake for the first bite. Lol.
And because their is flour in everything. I have an acute reaction though so I just don't eat it again.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Yup... just gotta accept it and have faith youre doing things properly.

You're gonna look flat, missing lining, in some ways sunken in. YOURE IN STARVATION!
You're body may fluctuate appearance day to day based on stress factors and water. Even periodically through the day ou may see drastic changes. It's not until after a carb up will you see some fullness or cuts... thats just how it is - youre completely depleted.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
CKD...I usuay do a paleo cycle...after 4 days I'll have an over consumption and take some extra r-ala to avoid feeling flat and deflated

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Yup, I go really flat on keto. But, it's followed by blowing up once I carb up. I mean like skin stretching blown up. I love it!

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
The issue is going full Keto, CKD and whatnot.

If you're having carb ups on the weekends you never really look deflated or whatnot, pumps are still there in full force. The only time you may look a little down is on Thursday and Friday morning, all of it changes over the weekend, though. On saturday and sundays you'll look the pumpest you've ver looked.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
The issue is going full Keto, CKD and whatnot.

If you're having carb ups on the weekends you never really look deflated or whatnot, pumps are still there in full force. The only time you may look a little down is on Thursday and Friday morning, all of it changes over the weekend, though. On saturday and sundays you'll look the pumpest you've ver looked.
When I do keto, I use my own version of Dan Duchaine's Bodyopus (1990's) sh*t and carb up only on Sun. I feel that a 2 day carb up for me is a bit too much and I have a hard time getting back to ketosis. So, I'll go only on Sun and come Mon and Tues, it hurts bad! I start noticing lowered energy on Wed and by Thurs I'm going flat.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
My diet now is all turkey and fish with veggies. No shakes. I have 1/4c oatmeal in the morning whihc is like 13g of carbs or somethin. I need it - I commute across Manhattan from jersey. By the time I get to the upper east side Ive burned through them anyway... probably more.

I dont regularly schedule a cheat meal - I just watch for body signals of increased leptin. Today I had chicken parm and a piece of blueberry pie. Did my body good - I already look improved.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Nice

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
i've always though keto diets were easier to adhere to , due to the lack of a 'grey area', concerning food choices.

fat,protein.

when you add carbs into the mix, it gets convoluted. is this a good carb, is that a good carb. when to eat carbs, when to not eat carbs, etc. although keto diets are aggravating in and of themselves, the basic outline is easier than a typical diet. most fatty foods already have the P:F ratio set up. trying to juggle carbs,protein, and fat in optimal or precise ratios can be tough.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Coconut milk, some
Protein and some vegetables...keto in a nutshell and even paleo

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
It's all about how your body reacts...

Heck, I don't even know if I'm going back to Keto after my carb ups, nor do I really care, as long as I'm still leaning out and the mirror looks good it seems as I'm doing something right. Blood work came back just fine and dandy so no point in switching anything up IMO. Besides, I love what I can eat.

It's gonna vary from person to person. I'm sure I could be doing a lot better if I wasn't splurging on the weekends, eating hash browns, bread, burger buns, having some beer and wine, etc, but I'm happy with the path my body is going so I shall remain on it, no need to try to rush anything, nice and easy, having fun while I'm doing it.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yup, I go really flat on keto. But, it's followed by blowing up once I carb up. I mean like skin stretching blown up. I love it!
It's the best feeling.. NA-RALA + yellow gold during a carb up, and I'm bursting

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Yep!

I LOVE it too that it happens over the weekend. I take some ALA derivative and Chromium Picolinate (sp) and BOOM, I look like I'm 10lbs stronger, and just at the right time I'm about to get on my swimsuit to go to the pool. Nothing better.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
^ Here in joisey that's what you do for a week when you're planning to go to Surf Club down the shoah.
Deplete that week and carb up for the weekend.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Yep!

I LOVE it too that it happens over the weekend. I take some ALA derivative and Chromium Picolinate (sp) and BOOM, I look like I'm 10lbs stronger, and just at the right time I'm about to get on my swimsuit to go to the pool. Nothing better.
Please tell me your "swimsuit" isn't one of these? Or else I'm gonna have to unsubscribe! lol

View attachment 43779

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
That looks like a lost bet on a baseball game.