can this be possible?

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
I was wondering if it is possible to "burn fat and gain strength"...

This is different to adding lean mass. I would like to still drop some body fat but gain strength.
If so how would you accomplish it?

chrisrob05

chrisrob05

Awards
Sprinters run with parachutes on and weight vests. I was in the ARMY for 6 yrs and in basic training, they do exactly what you are talking about. A strict exercise regiment of muscle burnout 3 times a week. This consists of exercises that don't really use weighted resistance. Push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups and other exercises of that type-Do 3 sets of each until complete failure. Combine that with uphill sprints and weighted running or swimming and you will gain strength, lose weight, and gain minimal mass. I was shredded as hell when I came out of infantry basic!! I was also strong and agile.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Sprinters run with parachutes on and weight vests. I was in the ARMY for 6 yrs and in basic training, they do exactly what you are talking about. A strict exercise regiment of muscle burnout 3 times a week. This consists of exercises that don't really use weighted resistance. Push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups and other exercises of that type-Do 3 sets of each until complete failure. Combine that with uphill sprints and weighted running or swimming and you will gain strength, lose weight, and gain minimal mass. I was shredded as hell when I came out of infantry basic!! I was also strong and agile.
Compound plyometrics?
sounds good...im running 4 days a week already...7-9km minimum depending on the % of Heart rate im training to 'teach it' to rely on fat sources and not glycogen

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
It's hard to gain strength and burn fat at the same time. Thats why a majority of people bulk, they gain weight but also gain muscle/strength, and then they cut where the main goal is to reduce bodyfat while maintaining whatever you gained muscle-wise during the bulk phase.

It's definitely possible to do both, its normally faster in the long run to pick one at a time though.

chrisrob05

chrisrob05

Awards
I understand how you probably feel: You don't want to lose endurance and agility by taking running days and making them bulk days. It's a drastic change from running (which I'm assuming makes you feel better than weight training) to bulking.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
I understand how you probably feel: You don't want to lose endurance and agility by taking running days and making them bulk days. It's a drastic change from running (which I'm assuming makes you feel better than weight training) to bulking.
Yes. I would rather have endurance than muscle which is why I asked about this conundrum.
Strength isn't hypertrophy and I think some people misplace the 2 and think that they are the same.
I run at 3:45min per KM and I'm at 78kg.
Not looking to be bigger. I have a sprinters legs but a marathon runners upper body.
I'm wanting to gain strength for cricket but at same time not lose my athletic endurance.....