Help with diet

tattoopierced1

I'm 6'7" 197lbs and looking to gain some mass. I guess I would describe my body type as an ectomorph as I am skinny. Back in November I weighed 158lbs so I have put on some weight, but due to some medicine I was taking. Here is my basic diet now, if someone has something different or would change it, let me know.

6:30am-8am-1 bagel and either tuna or a small turkey sandwich and an 8oz. can of Boost
11:00am-Noon- Chicken breast of some sort for lunch, usually in sandwich form
2:00pm- protein bar (Powerbar Protein Plus)
3:30pm-4:30pm- workout
4:30pm-2 scoops of On's 100% Whey protein mixed with Vitamin D milk
6:00pm-7:00pm- Dinner (usually either pasta with beef or some chicken dish)
Before bed-glass of milk

In between times, I snack on food as well...this varies to as what is in the vending machine at work or what I have lying around the house.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
you need to eat a lot more. That's like a weight loss diet for your weight, IMHO.

I've found that scheduled diets don't work for me personally. What I like to do is stock up on all kinds of good stuff and eat small or large portions whenever I feel like it. Tuna, nuts, cheese, meat, milk, whey, stuff like that. If you eat small portions all throughout the day you will find that this works more effectively as well since the body can only absorb so much at one time. Eating in this fashion also keeps my appetite up... I'm hungry again in an hour after every meal!

Luckily my somewhat lenient college schedule allows me to do this :b, those with full time jobs probably could not

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
you have to give a Calorie Range that you are Eating for us to determine if you are Eating enough.

tattoopierced1

I'd like to hit the 3500 calories per day mark to see if that will put any more weight on me. If that doesnt, then I'll have to bump up to 4000 per day.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
That's about right. I weigh about 5 lbs less than you and am 6'3, and I need a minimum of 2800 calories to gain (that's factored with a very high metabolism). I try to get 3500 or more a day and I'm doing fine.

tattoopierced1

That's about right. I weigh about 5 lbs less than you and am 6'3, and I need a minimum of 2800 calories to gain (that's factored with a very high metabolism). I try to get 3500 or more a day and I'm doing fine.
What do you eat to get that though? Whats your meal plan...I guess that is kinda my question.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Tattoo.... I would add a lot more carbs post workout. While I am starting to agree with Bobo that high GI carbs PW are not necessary, for someone who is ecto like yourself I see no reason not to.
So for your 430 PW meal drink 2 scoops of Opt whey with SKIM milk (full fat is awful at this time sorry) and add either a half cup of ground oatmeal or 50 grams of dextrose/maltodextrin.

Secondly, your carb choices kind of suck. You need to start eating quality carbs (this will allow you to bulk in a better muscle/fat ratio).
1) Id add 1/2 cup of unflavored, old fashioned oatmeal to meal 1. If you cant do that, either add 4 ounces of sweet potato or 3 slices of 100% WW bread.
2) Add a sweet potato to the chicken breast and some good veggies for lunch. Use WW bread for the sandwich.
3) Ditch the protein bar IMO. Waste of money and not very good anyways. Or pick up a better bar. If your a huge fan of protein bars...go to sheeshbars.com or make your own with a similar recipe.
4). Add a pre/during workout shake if you like. 1 scoop whey with 20 grams of dextrose/sucrose. Could also cut some of the whey out of the post workout shake if you do this (use 1.5 scoops for post instead of 2).
5). Ill leave that for now although i would change it up.
6.) Have something before bed. Some form of slow digesting protein (cottage cheese is best but even chicken, beef or tuna are ok). If not, get a protein blend for this. Take right before bed.

There...a good start for you. Also, Id pick up some cheap fish oil and take 5-10 grams a day.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
6:30am-8am-1 bagel and either tuna or a small turkey sandwich and an 8oz. can of Boost
11:00am-Noon- Chicken breast of some sort for lunch, usually in sandwich form
2:00pm- protein bar (Powerbar Protein Plus)
3:30pm-4:30pm- workout
4:30pm-2 scoops of On's 100% Whey protein mixed with Vitamin D milk
6:00pm-7:00pm- Dinner (usually either pasta with beef or some chicken dish)
Before bed-glass of milk

In between times, I snack on food as well...this varies to as what is in the vending machine at work or what I have lying around the house.
Okay, I'll give this a shot, but I'm still learning so bare with me here.

~Meal 1 - looks good. You may want to switch it around with 1 cup of oatmeal/or 2 slices of whole wheat dry toast, 8-10 egg whites.
~Meal 2 - add some sort of good veggie, maybe even on your sandwich. You can even sub. two cans of tuna for the chicken to change it up.
~Meal 3 - drop the protein bar and have a pre-workout shake instead. Or, like Scotty suggested, you can make your own. PM me if you need a recipe.
~Meal 4 - For your P/W shake, drop the Vitamin D milk and use only non-fat, or water. Add in a 1/2 cup of ground oats.
~Meal 5 - Make sure you add in a good veggie with your meal, and/or salad with non-fat dressing. When using pasta, do not use white sauces, use red. You do not want to mix your carbs with fats. You can also sub. the pasta with brown rice/sweet potato/red potato/baked potato. Make sure to use non-fat sour cream and/or butter spray.
~Meal 6 - cottage cheese and natty P/B is good to hold you over. Or, a good protein shake with some flax oil, or ground flax seeds.

Make sure to stay away from the vending machines. I know this can be hard. Especially when they just call to you. Pack your snacks in advance, that way you pre-determine what you are going to eat. Try not taking money with you to work, and don't mooch from co-workers.

Hope some of this info helps.

tattoopierced1

Thanks guys. The only reason I eat the protein bars is because its quick at work and it has a good amount of calories. I guess I'll try and bring a shaker cup and some whey protein with me instead of the bars. Only thing is, is that I havent tasted the whey protein in water, my past experiences with this is not tasting too good, hence why I use Vitamin D milk. At home, I'll definatly switch to skim milk with my P/W shake. Cuffs: In what you put, how many calories do you think that is per day/protein?

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
if It Tasted Good all the time then youd be Fat.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Ah damn, you would ask me that...LOL. Well, egg whites are in the area of 3.5 gams per, and one can of tuna is around 32.5 grams. I'll add it up later on and get back to you.

As for the whey in water. ON's chocolate, and EAS Simply Whey (I think it's Myoplex now, chocolate are good. All The Whey's vanilla is good in water, the banana as well. Just add less water than they suggest to get a better taste out of it. But, I do agree, these all do taste better in milk.