bulking plan

Panther06

Awards
TXs thread (great thread) on bulking made me write up my own meal plan. have been talking with a few of you and thanks for your help. anymore suggestions on this plan?
6ft 1" 200lbs trying to get to 215 to 220

breakfast:
2cups oatmeal - 244
1cup skim milk - 90
2 eggs scrambled - 386
2 cups orange juice - 240
multivitamin

snack
turkey sandwich - 60
wheat bread - 120

lunch
chicken whopper (no mayo) - 160
(chicken breast - 284)
usually orange juice for drink - 240
try and get a baked potato -115

preworkout
turkey sandwich wheat bread - 180
apple - 74
rasins - 130

post workout shake
2 cups milk - 180
18oz grape juice - 230
2 scoop of protein - 260

90mintue meal
2 cups oatmeal – 244
tuna 6oz – 200

snack before bed
whole bean burrito – 280

or

15oz Milk - 160
2 scoops natural peanut butter - 200
2 scoops whey powder - 260
1 table spoon flax oil - 130
1/3 cup crushed oatmeal - 40
1 whole banana - 136

total cals – 3659 / 3919 w shake as last meal

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
honestly, personally, just from glancing through it I think 4000 cals is maybe a little high unless you are involved with a sport or are on a cycle or something. the actual food choices dont look too bad at all, but I'd hit about 3500 cals/day and see how that does ya for a few weeks. oh yeah and even while bulking, somebody gimme a hand here but I don't see the point of too many carbs before bed... course, you need other real advice :)

edit- nevermind, do 4k, see what happens :D

Last edited:

Anxed

Awards
id also say that 4000 is too much... i think you should start off with 3000 (which is 15x yer bodyweight)... of course, if you have a speedy metabolism, you may need 4000...

the foods you have do look ok, but what are your ratios, cause it looks way
too heavy in carbs, low in protein, and low in fat... whats your diet plan?

I only see 1 tbspn of Flax... try to get at least 2...

post workout... get rid of the milk... its overkill and the milk protein will work against the absorption of the whey and grape juice...

somebody gimme a hand here but I don't see the point of
too many carbs before bed...

unless he has something specific in mind (diet plan wise), I dont either... i would rather see cottage cheese (or some slow digesting protein) and some Flax...

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards

snack
turkey sandwich - 60
wheat bread - 120
[/quote

Make sure thats lean turkey, not compressed, packaged turkey.

lunch
(chicken breast - 284)
usually orange juice for drink - 240
This meal will get old after awhile. But if you have to have fast food here, maybe not a bad choice. There's certainly better however.

preworkout
apple - 74
rasins - 130
Have some orange juice here, its been shown to suppress cortisol levels. Have a scoop of protein in it also, the sandwhich isnt that greta preworkout for digestion reasons. You want 1 carb per .5lb of bodyweight, preferably in liquid form.

post workout shake
2 cups milk - 180
18oz grape juice - 230
2 scoop of protein - 260
I know, it tastes like ****, but you should have that shake in water, For rehydration reasons and the transport system water brings, milk will slow it down a but, quicker to the muscle, quicker the repair. Good job on the grape juice also.

90mintue meal
2 cups oatmeal – 244
tuna 6oz – 200
This is your second most important meal of the day. Not too bad, You could have a can of tuna, 3 scoops of peanut butter and 3 or 4 eggs and dry oats. Doesnt have to be fancy, but this meal is crucial.

snack before bed
whole bean burrito – 280

or

15oz Milk - 160
1 whole banana - 136

Have 2 large glasses of milk and a half cup of cottage cheese. If you dont like cottage cheese, try some low fat yogurt in its place. This is the 3rd most important meal of the day. You want slow digesting protiens to last you throughout the night. If you want to have that shake above, fine, but throw out the banana, fructose isnt that shrewd before bed.

total cals – 3659 / 3919 w shake as last meal
Check your BMR and see how in lines up after you teak this a bit. Remember, big bump on the flax oil, essential calories and very calorie dense. You can have that banana post workout, or about an hour before your workout if you want to throw it in, I would. If ever you cant get to one of these meals, remember things like cottage cheese, yogurt, peanut butter, cans of tuna, etc. Simple to make and quick meals that are calories dense and the macronutrient ratios are sound dependant upon what brand you choose.

Panther06

Awards
yes my bmr was around 3200. thanks for the suggestions i didnt realize how much carbs i had in there. do you guys reccomend 2% or skim milk? the lunch is the hardest part because I have class within half hour of each other so i have to work it out. i will post an updated plan

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
yes my bmr was around 3200. thanks for the suggestions i didnt realize how much carbs i had in there. do you guys reccomend 2% or skim milk? the lunch is the hardest part because I have class within half hour of each other so i have to work it out. i will post an updated plan
If you're bulking, 2% is fine. If you have a limited time between classes..... go HERE and make some of those a week in advance and you can take a couple each day to eat in between classes, this is a shrewd idea IMO.

Panther06

Awards
breakfast:
2cups oatmeal - 244
1cup skim milk - 90
2 eggs scrambled - 180
1 cups orange juice - 120
multivitamin

snack
turkey sandwich - 60
wheat bread - 120

lunch
(chicken breast - 284)
2 cups milk - 180

preworkout
apple - 74
2 cups orange juice – 240
1 scoop protein - 130

post workout shake
18oz grape juice - 230
2 scoop of protein – 260
1 banana - 136

90mintue meal
1 cup oatmeal (dry) – 122
1 cup skim milk - 90
tuna 6oz – 200
3 eggs – 234
3 spoons natural peanut butter - 300

snack before bed
whole bean burrito – 280
or
cottage cheese half cup – 20
flax oil – 130
2 cups milk – 180
or
2 cups non fat yogurt - 264

Gainer shake
15oz Milk - 160

total cals – 3855 BMR 3480

this is the updated meal plan with the cottage cheese as the last meal. comments?

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards

preworkout
apple - 74
1 scoop protein - 130
Make sure this is eaten about an hour before you workout, thats a lot of food to digest while training.....

snack before bed
whole bean burrito – 280
or
flax oil – 130
2 cups milk – 180
or
Have the cottage cheese, yogurt or a couple large glasses of milk, or alternate. Not sure the reasoning behind a bean burrito before bed.......

Other than that man, your BMR/Caloric intake is sound and you seem to be ready to go...

Panther06

Awards
i like them i guess, also what is better whole or skim milk when bulking? that may be a dumb question but im gonna ask it

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Either will do, I do skim, but have done whole. Whole has a few more calories.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Either will do, I do skim, but have done whole. Whole has a few more calories.
also think skim. However a lowfat (1-2%) are better choices i believe than whole. its dairy fat and you're on a bulk but 5g saturated or there abouts per serving is pretty heavy dose. Sage

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
yeah I would definitely play around with your preworkout meal, as what you have listed there I know would make ME puke about a quarter of the way through my workout... this meal doesn't have to be much IMO, just need enough carbs and protein to get through before you start slammin your post workout stuff

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Instant oatmeal is processed and has a lot of sugar. Gt old fashioned, steel-cut oats.

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
lunch
(chicken breast - 284)
2 cups milk - 180
Sweet potatoes are far more nutritious than regular potatoes, and lower g.i. as well.
preworkout
apple - 74
1 scoop protein - 130
I would delete the oj and protein here. The sandwich and apple are plenty to carry you through a workout.
post workout shake18oz grape juice - 230
2 scoop of protein – 260
1 banana - 136
Skip the banana as fructose does nothing to help increase insulin. Simply supplies the liver with glycogen. Grape juice is one of the few fruits to supply dextrose instead of fructose. If you want that banana, eat it pre-workout for energy!
snack before bed
whole bean burrito – 280
or
flax oil – 130
2 cups milk – 180
or
Skip the burrito. I would up the cottage cheese and lower the milk portion,; but that's personal preference.

scotty2

Awards
  • Established

Skip the burrito. I would up the cottage cheese and lower the milk portion,; but that's personal preference.

Whoa, can't believe I missed that. Good catch Benz. No way you should eat a burito before bed. Go with the cottage cheese and some flax.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards

I would delete the oj and protein here. The sandwich and apple are plenty to carry you through a workout.
Orange juice (vitamin C) has been shown to greatly reduce cortisol levels in the body. Ive been having oj before my workout for almost a year now, call it placebo but Im very happy with my gains in that amount of time. If anything, I would cut out the sandwhich, for digestion purposes. I think its a decent pre workout meal though.

Skip the banana as fructose does nothing to help increase insulin.
True. But the banana isnt in there to stimulate insulin. Its there to avoid post workout muscle cramps, or spasms. I also have a large banana post workout, sometimes pre like you mentioned.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I just take vitamin C and potassium every morning ;)