Eating Before Cardio

M

mozwilde

Awards
Is it better to eat or not to eat before doing cardio in the morning? Heard that you should not and then I heard you should because it starts up the metabolism. Just want to know what's best for losing weight faster.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is it better to eat or not to eat before doing cardio in the morning? Heard that you should not and then I heard you should because it starts up the metabolism. Just want to know what's best for losing weight faster.
You're going to hear different schools of thought on this, just like you already stated. There's not a clear-cut answer.

I've been a fan of taking some BCAAs and doing 20-30 minutes of fasted cardio upon rising, but it was also low intensity stuff.

Layne Norton has produced or linked multiple articles/studies showing that you burn more when eating normal meals placed around the cardio just as you would a traditional weight-training workout.

The bottom line is there will never be a "this is right and that is wrong" on this subject. Do what you prefer ;)

DHumphreys

DHumphreys

Awards
Im a fan of 20 mins SSCV - fasted.

This has worked well for me in the past, and has also worked for alot of people I know.

But it comes down to personal preference. Find what works best for you, as everyone is different and will react differently to each method.

R

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Weightloss is a function of caloric expenditure vs. caloric intake. Eating before exercise has many benefits, you can delay the onset of fatigue (substrate depletion). Don't get caught up in the intensities.

M

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
You're going to hear different schools of thought on this, just like you already stated. There's not a clear-cut answer.

I've been a fan of taking some BCAAs and doing 20-30 minutes of fasted cardio upon rising, but it was also low intensity stuff.

Layne Norton has produced or linked multiple articles/studies showing that you burn more when eating normal meals placed around the cardio just as you would a traditional weight-training workout.

The bottom line is there will never be a "this is right and that is wrong" on this subject. Do what you prefer ;)
bullseye. Personally I do low intensity fasted in the morning and sip BCAA's while doing it.

S

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
bullseye. Personally I do low intensity fasted in the morning and sip BCAA's while doing it.
this /\

if you eat before cardio you will burn close to zero fat.

eating then cardio will put you in a deficit which will indirectly burn fat, but won't be nearly as effective.

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
A lot of it depends on intensity for me. I'm a big fan of fasted cardio when it's steady state and low intensity. If you're going to perform a bunch of high intensity cardio work I wouldn't want to do that first thing in the morning while completely fasted.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Studies have shown that results are no different re fat loss if cardio is fasted or unfasted, so it really depends on the individual and their personal preferences in what state they train. I have personally trained both ways throughout the years, but feel so much better when I train fasted, and I do ALL my training fasted, with no detrimental effect on my performance.

Plus, WEIGHT loss is easy - all you have to do is primarily manipulate water and carbohydrate intake, so don't concentrate on SCALE WEIGHT because it is IRrelevant, but focus on FAT loss, since BODY COMPOSITION is what is important.

~Rosie~

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I forget all the details but MrKleen found a study that showed ~10-15 grams of protein about 30 minutes prior to cardio enhanced fat loss/burning. If you are doing it fasted in the AM, that may not be feasible but in that case I say throw down 10 grams of BCAAs and you will get near the same benefit. Rosie knows her stuff though.

crystaljonesy

crystaljonesy

Awards
You can eat but make sure you give your stomach some time to digest the food before working out.

R

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
I forget all the details but MrKleen found a study that showed ~10-15 grams of protein about 30 minutes prior to cardio enhanced fat loss/burning. If you are doing it fasted in the AM, that may not be feasible but in that case I say throw down 10 grams of BCAAs and you will get near the same benefit. Rosie knows her stuff though.
I haven't read that study, but I'm going to speculate that it's probably due to a low amount of carbohydrate (if any) and the intensity DURING exercise. However, I bet RQ was not measured during 24 hours of recovery. Net oxidation of fatty acids will be the same.

C

Curlz

Awards
Whatever you feel best about, if you feel better fasted then stick with it..however if not go back to eating before.

M

mozwilde

Awards
Thanks for all the advice. I've been doing the fasted cardio and feel good. So I'll see how that goes.

D

Dimitri

Awards
It is always good to eat before the exercises. That is what my trainer told me and ask me to do.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It is always good to eat before the exercises. That is what my trainer told me and ask me to do.
Just like any trainer, that advice is only partially correct. I seriously question if any of them know their a** from a hole in the ground.

tamili

tamili

Awards
I can't prefer to eat before the cardio and eat any thing after the cardio...
It is better one to have the much energy after the swear comes out from your body and fulfill the
body nutrition's and requirements...

WKUanimal

WKUanimal

Awards
As someone who cycles for cardio i never eat before or i throw up after, but when i dont cycle and do fasted cardio on the stairmaster, i feel like i get more out of it.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
I can't prefer to eat before the cardio and eat any thing after the cardio...
It is better one to have the much energy after the swear comes out from your body and fulfill the
body nutrition's and requirements...
What ?!?

S

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
FACTs :

food signals insulin

insulin inhibits HSL and cAMP.

HSL + cAMP signal fatloss.

R

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
FACTs :

food signals insulin

insulin inhibits HSL and cAMP.

HSL + cAMP signal fatloss.
Not everyone is concerned with fatloss. Adrenergic innervation via catecholamine release/outflow increases cAMP-dependent protein kinase activity, decreases plasma insulin concentration, and initiates fatty acid mobilization. This happens from the onset of exercise and increases with intensity and duration. Under normal physiological conditions in healthy individuals, insulin should be at its basal level within an hour of eating prior to exercise.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
It also has a lot to do with the intensity in terms of eating.
LISS- do this fasted as it is easy cardio
HIIT- 2 hours prior, mix all 3 macros together. Sustained release,more performance and therefore more calories burnt and therefore greater fat loss.
Don't worry touch about HSL and cAMP to much, eat right, sleep to manage cortisol and train hard.

With this being said, we must forget about this fat burning zone business.
Sugars burn first therefore a glycolytic workout such as HIIT needs to be with food but to reap full benefits, the consumption of more healthy fats instead of complex carbs the better.
Eat more fats to burn fat...this is better for endurance and will in turn help HIIT workouts.
LISS is predominantly a slow burn and needs to be done fasted to reap benefits.
Fat Loss will be most fueled through adequate/proper mix Of nutrition and whatever cardio chosen should be in reflected to regime and food intake

Sorry to hijack this thread. Needed my .02 cents in
Cheers

R

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
It also has a lot to do with the intensity in terms of eating.
LISS- do this fasted as it is easy cardio
HIIT- 2 hours prior, mix all 3 macros together. Sustained release,more performance and therefore more calories burnt and therefore greater fat loss.
Don't worry touch about HSL and cAMP to much, eat right, sleep to manage cortisol and train hard.

With this being said, we must forget about this fat burning zone business.
Sugars burn first therefore a glycolytic workout such as HIIT needs to be with food but to reap full benefits, the consumption of more healthy fats instead of complex carbs the better.
Eat more fats to burn fat...this is better for endurance and will in turn help HIIT workouts.
LISS is predominantly a slow burn and needs to be done fasted to reap benefits.
Fat Loss will be most fueled through adequate/proper mix Of nutrition and whatever cardio chosen should be in reflected to regime and food intake

Sorry to hijack this thread. Needed my .02 cents in
Cheers
I disagree. Low intensity steady state exercise work matched to high intensity will elicit similar net fatty acid oxidation results when compared to high intensity.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
I disagree. Low intensity steady state exercise work matched to high intensity will elicit similar net fatty acid oxidation results when compared to high intensity.
I respect your words brother.
We all have different ways. That's why we are Unique In our genetic code.

Kudos to that

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
We all have our opinion and I respect that brother!!! It all comes down to how your body is and responds to the intensity. Why we are all unique.

Kudos to that bro

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
6 Training Forum 23
O Weight Loss 9
G Supplements 2
M Nutrition / Health 15
A Weight Loss 39