1. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.96%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

So what does "pull the bar apart" mean?

I keep reading this in articles trying to help your bench, and I have 0 idea what it means. I even heard this mentioned in the "So you think ... bench" series, but I still don't get it. I've literally tried to move my hands sideways while gripping the bar, kind of like I was doing a reverse fly for the rear delts, but I lose ALL my pressing power when I try to do this (it's like it makes my chest numb). Maybe I'm not doing this right, or I'm just not accustomed to this?

I don't know if this is the thing people tell you to do to get your lats involved, but that's another problem for me - I can't seem to get my lats involved in my bench press (or maybe they're doing their job and I'm just not noticing).

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.96%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Uh, anabolic minds forum clearly had a brain fart. I posted this in the Exercise Science and it randomly moved to this section? lol
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.82%

you dont push your pressure to the side real hard, but yes you do slightly try and "spread the bar" with your hands in place. Helps minimally
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.1%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by CoorsLight126 View Post
    you dont push your pressure to the side real hard, but yes you do slightly try and "spread the bar" with your hands in place. Helps minimally
    It helps immensely when you do it right. Most people do not let the bar settle and put it on the lats and lose a tremendous amount of power off of their chest. Gripping the bar properly is not just about squeezing it and keeping your wrists aligned with your elbows. It really means to envision yourself trying to split the bar apart as you arch your back, keep your traps tight, and bend/drift on the descent.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.27%

Scroll down to pull the bar to the chest. It's the best way of explaining it I've read. It takes some practice, but you definitely feel more stable and able to put up bigger poundages.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/excelling_at_the_big_lifts&cr=

Similar Forum Threads

1. USP Powerfull and a "quick trigger pull"
    By nevergoodenough in forum Supplements
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-18-2012, 05:23 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-17-2008, 09:07 PM
  3. Replies: 106
    Last Post: 11-07-2008, 05:31 PM
  4. Replies: 78
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 11:32 PM
  5. Replies: 144