Im ready for a change in my life

tribalgt03

tribalgt03

Awards
Hello everyone my name is David and Im a professional auto mechanic for BMW..this is the beginning of a new life as I am turning 30 this month..I have a beautiful wife and 3 kids that I want to do this lifestyle change for,so I dont leave them behind because im overweight..I havent had any health issues in my life and want to keep it that way..I am 6'0 320lbs I want to be 230 and bulky..lol..I have always been a big guy and I dont want that to be me anymore..I want to learn this lifestyle to pass it down to my sons and not have them embarassed of having a fat father anymore..I have no clue where to start or what to eat..I have done a lot of research and just couldnt come up with a conclusion to what does what and what works for fat loss and muscle building..I am coming to this forum very humbled and looking for support and to learn what it takes to be this new person..So to anyone who reads this I have an open mind and im willing to listen to what anyone will teach me about training myself and self discipline on working out and eating right,plus the proper supplement training as well,because I have no idea what im doing..

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hello everyone my name is David and Im a professional auto mechanic for BMW..this is the beginning of a new life as I am turning 30 this month..I have a beautiful wife and 3 kids that I want to do this lifestyle change for,so I dont leave them behind because im overweight..I havent had any health issues in my life and want to keep it that way..I am 6'0 320lbs I want to be 230 and bulky..lol..I have always been a big guy and I dont want that to be me anymore..I want to learn this lifestyle to pass it down to my sons and not have them embarassed of having a fat father anymore..I have no clue where to start or what to eat..I have done a lot of research and just couldnt come up with a conclusion to what does what and what works for fat loss and muscle building..I am coming to this forum very humbled and looking for support and to learn what it takes to be this new person..So to anyone who reads this I have an open mind and im willing to listen to what anyone will teach me about training myself and self discipline on working out and eating right,plus the proper supplement training as well,because I have no idea what im doing..
Good on you, David, for making the decision to take control of your health and fitness and be a positive role model for your sons :)

Everyone starts somewhere, and the fact that you have taken the time to look around and do some reading and research for yourself is commendable.

You couldn't find a "conclusion to what does what and what works for fat loss and muscle building" because there is NO "one size fits all" approach. Whilst you can use something as a baseline to work from, you need to experiment to find out what your body responds best to is the best way to do it. So, start off with a "base" nutrition plan and training programme and adjust it weekly based on your results from that week, so that you get and continue making progress.

If you want fat loss concurrent with muscle gain, this is known as recomping, and generally only achieved by experienced trainees who know how to perfectly manipulate their nutrition and training for it. Recomping is also sometimes achieved by beginners, albeit UNconsciously, simply because they are doing something new. Note that as a beginner, results will occur quickly for a few weeks for you with fat loss or muscle gain (whatever you decide to focus on), simply because you are starting training and making changes to your nutrition.

Since you're new to all of this and want to make lifestyle changes more towards fat loss, I recommend downloading and reading The 3 Keys to Fat Loss - it contains comprehensive advice and information on nutrition, supplementation (only the basic staples required), and training for effective and successful fat loss, including a sample training programme for the beginner (and experienced trainee).

Since you ARE a beginner, the best investment you can make, IMO, is to get yourself a trainer who can and will individualize nutrition and training specifically for YOU for your goals and needs. If you can't afford a professional trainer, then continue to research and look around, because there is a TON of information on training for fat loss and/or recomp!

All the best :cheers:

~Rosie~

Collateral

Collateral

Awards
*Takes hat off to you*

First of all i would like to say, i admire your outlook and i think that you can easily achieve your goals with a little bit of dedication and training. I personally havn't put my foot in the 'weightloss' pond before, being the skinny guy all my life i have been fighting to gain weight. However if you do a little bit of searching on here you will find a vast amount of information and diets that will suit your every need (obviously you will need to tailor them a little).

So yea this isn't my area so ill step back and let others give you advice, but you sir, are an inspiration!

Good luck in your diet and training plan, i know you can do it fella !

Ryan

Blaizer

Awards
Goon on ya mate and all the best. Looking foreward to seeing some good results

Onlychevy6

Onlychevy6

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Congrats on making the first step to a better life. Get a good nutrition plan together and a workout plan. Rosie is right there is a lot of information available at your finger tips. If you want questions answered dont be afraid to ask.

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
My advice would be to start reading. You need to get educated. Read this forum like crazy, go to www.t-nation.com and read old articles, etc. Start doing something (ANYTHING). Go for 45 minute walks in the morning (or evening), lift weights, etc. Just pace yourself, you have a long way to go and this is a marathon not a sprint. Throw the scale out or use it once every two weeks. Don't do anything supplement wise for a while, you're a beginner. Staples are ok like protein, fish oil, multi-vitamin. Start a log on here to keep yourself accountable. Fill it with questions, people will help.

tribalgt03

tribalgt03

Awards
Thanks to everyone here for the positive feedback I have started this and plan on finishing it..even though its 4th of july weekend I have already started running on the treadmill(at the gym I joined)for 1 mile and then lift for 30 minutes after my run..its hard right now,but im committed

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
Thanks to everyone here for the positive feedback I have started this and plan on finishing it..even though its 4th of july weekend I have already started running on the treadmill(at the gym I joined)for 1 mile and then lift for 30 minutes after my run..its hard right now,but im committed
Exercise gets easier over time. Anytime I come back from a long layoff I think how bad it sucks for a while, but eventually it will be something you look forward to. Just stick with it!

Onlychevy6

Onlychevy6

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you are just getting back to doing cardio or weight training, I would suggest only do 20 minutes a day for the first two weeks then bump it up 5 minutes every two weeks. For a simple reason. You want to confuse your body as much as possible and you wont get burnt out on try hard to complete a full 45 minutes or so. You will receive a lot of different methods on how to do something. Training doesn't have to be hard. Make it as simple as possible and enjoy the ride my friend. It will get tougher but it will all be worth it.

granicefer11

Awards

Yah, it's not good that you're so fat..some people don't like you.

gwls

gwls

Awards
  • Established
Unsurprisingly, I agree with everything Rosie said, including getting a trainer if you can afford one - I know they are not cheap but think of it this way, can you think of a better investment than yourself?

I use a personal trainer, 1 hour every two weeks, it keeps me in check and he gives me a programme to work to for the other 13 days and he also makes sure that I'm doing things right.

Nutrition - so many different options and what works for one doesn't always work for others, I personally favour a Paleo diet but it's not for everyone.

A good book to read with lots of interesting stuff (for me anyway) is "the four hour body" by Timothy Ferris

I'm also a recent fan of CrossFit endurance they've got a website and a pretty big world wide following, you'd be amazed at the amount of changes that can be had for some very short INTENSE working out and cardio a day.

Whatever you decide David, your heart and mental attitude is in the right place and in my book that means you will be successful!

It's going to be a journey of pleasure and pain, but log your progress, post pictures, ask questions and the people on this forum will support you along the way - I for one will!

Being a naturally greedy person myself (not suggesting you are BTW :D) I can't claim I'm genetically fat, just greedy and love bad food BUT I've had a weight loss rollercoaster over the years, never got to 320 but was a good 270ish at one point lost about 60lbs then stopped training and went back to 240lbs, dropped to 184lbs in December (with the help and support of the people here on AM) then work changed and went back to 210 in five months - now back to just under 200

Why am I telling you this, because the change you are about to make, will change your life if you let it, and when life throws you a curve ball you just get back on it as soon as you can and the knowledge you learn won't leave you!

Good luck David, I wish you every success and will happily follow your progress and offer my help wherever I can

Gary

crystaljonesy

crystaljonesy

Awards
Goodluck on your journey :) We are on your back.

tribalgt03

tribalgt03

Awards
I have looked up a lot of nutrition guides and im just trying to balance what is going to work for me..im eating small amounts every 2hrs at work while im working..I will have steamed chicken breast with white rice for my lunch (small portions,but equaling 2900 calories a day,because my job is very physical and I dont want to feel like im starving..plain nuts and veggies through out my day..work plus gym and now this diet im really hoping for the best and I want to really try the recomping thing I have done some research on it and it does seem difficult to balance it out for someone who has no idea what they're doing,.Im not looking to just lose weight,but to pack on some serious muscle and I totally understand its not going to happen overnight,but as I said Im so serious about this..I want my kids to think wow this is my dad and my wife to be like damn thas my man..lol..and I honestly want to tell everyone thankyou for all of the support...

Tely

Awards
Man our stats aren't that much different from when I started about 50 days ago. I'm 6 foot tall and I was 303 when I decided it was time to take control of my situation. Like everyone is saying start with a nice healthy diet, it makes a huge difference. I started doing same as you just doing a mile a day and some weights, now I'm up to 90 minutes of cardio when I do it, unless it's HIIT cardio and then I'm lucky to get 45 minutes done. Just try and do a little more once a week, an extra minute or two and try to keep that extra time on your future workouts.

I've lost 24 pounds just doing my cardio and eating better, still not perfect but on my budget of virtually nil, I'm managing. If you want to chat with a guy who's virtually in the same position just a few months ahead of you, I've got plenty of time. I found having someone to hold me accountable helped early on as well and now it's just habit, and if it's Folsom, California you live in, I hope you're enjoying that heat. I used to live close to there, well within an hour.

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Best of luck boss!!!

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
Yah, it's not good that you're so fat..some people don't like you.
Yah, it's not good that you're such a ignorant dumb-ass...nobody likes you.

George_Bush_Middle_Finger.jpg

tribalgt03

tribalgt03

Awards
Man our stats aren't that much different from when I started about 50 days ago. I'm 6 foot tall and I was 303 when I decided it was time to take control of my situation. Like everyone is saying start with a nice healthy diet, it makes a huge difference. I started doing same as you just doing a mile a day and some weights, now I'm up to 90 minutes of cardio when I do it, unless it's HIIT cardio and then I'm lucky to get 45 minutes done. Just try and do a little more once a week, an extra minute or two and try to keep that extra time on your future workouts.

I've lost 24 pounds just doing my cardio and eating better, still not perfect but on my budget of virtually nil, I'm managing. If you want to chat with a guy who's virtually in the same position just a few months ahead of you, I've got plenty of time. I found having someone to hold me accountable helped early on as well and now it's just habit, and if it's Folsom, California you live in, I hope you're enjoying that heat. I used to live close to there, well within an hour.
awesome im always up for the buddy system...im working harder for this than anything ive ever worked for...,so as I said to everyone on here thank you for all of the encouragement and im staying on point..

amandabaileys

amandabaileys

Awards
Congratulations! Now you are on the right path to being healthy.

tribalgt03

tribalgt03

Awards
ok heres what I have going..I do a 30min jog non stop and im getting almost a mile and a 1/2...2900 calories a day..then today I tried to go heavy with the weights and the most I could bench is 315 max,so I knocked it down to 220 and I could push 8x2 sets reps with that..then I did rows on the machine with 180lbs and did 2 sets of 10..I wanted to make mondays my back and chest day and then as I have been doing everyday ending my workout with 50 sit-ups and then 20min in the pool then relax in the hot tub..

monday-back and chest/cardio
tuesday-bicep/tricep/cardio
wednesday-shoulders/legs/cardio
thursday-cardio
friday-max day/cardio
saturday-cardio
sunday-off
abs everyday

give me a heads up and let me know if this is a good plan..Im open to criticism

Anthoney

Awards
Hi tribalgt03,
Glad to know that your are taking your health and life seriously.
Simple formula of reducing weight is regular exercise and balanced diet plan.
Do start with cardio exercise as they are simple and effective in losing weight. Take low carb diet and avoid fast and junk food.

tribalgt03

tribalgt03

Awards
I just broke into the 290's and ive already had to order new sizes of uniforms at work