Girlfriend cant drop weight

s7mgte

Awards
My girlfriend has been trying all kinds of diets and workouts in the past few years but cant seem to lose anything. She has currently been doing insanity workout for about 45 days now and following weight watchers and has maybe lost one pound its crazy. Ive never seen anything like it. Meanwhile the past month ive been eating everything and lost 8 pounds and my strength has gone up a ton. Does anyone have any ideas?

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Can you elaborate more on the diets you tried?

TurningGreen

TurningGreen

Awards
Hard to help with out knowing her stats (weight, BF%,) No offense but weight watchers is for grandmas (In My Opinion) Chances are you GF isn't eating enough or often enough to get her metabolism moving. My GF complains about not being able to lose weight (not that she needs to 121lbs "light weight") she knows she doesn't eat enough or often enough...That's just the way the body works when it comes to metabolism, you have to eat to lose. Has her body profile changed at all, or is she exactly the same as day one?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My girlfriend has been trying all kinds of diets and workouts in the past few years but cant seem to lose anything. She has currently been doing insanity workout for about 45 days now and following weight watchers and has maybe lost one pound its crazy. Ive never seen anything like it. Meanwhile the past month ive been eating everything and lost 8 pounds and my strength has gone up a ton. Does anyone have any ideas?
Chances are she's not eating enough - that will stop progress for sure. Not only that, but "diets" are "quick fixes" and not anything sensible, able to be maintained. How about she starts following a LIFESTYLE nutrition plan - this is what diet is and should be, IMO, and too many people use the term "diet" incorrectly, giving it negative connotations - with the only thing she changes is the amount of calories consumed, depending on her goal at the time. If she's been on and off diets for the past few years, then chances are she's slowed her metabolism down, or done something that is detrimental to her body. What she has done is definitely not what I would have recommended, and IMO, if you want to do something, you should do it right from the start.

If she doesn't eat enough she won't make progress. Ensure she knows what her current Maintenance calories are, and for fat loss, consuming up to ~500 calories less than that most days (start out at ~200 calories less and go from there) - not all, because always being below Maintenance is not the best, IMO. There is an Estimating Energy Expenditure calculation here that she can use to estimate her Maintenance - as with anything though, once she has a baseline to go from, adjust her nutrition on a weekly basis to ensure constant progress.

As far as weight loss - that itself is EASY, done simply by manipulating water intake, nutrition, and training; seriously, I can gain and lose 10-15 pounds in only a few days. Get her to STOP concentrating on scale weight since it is IRrelevant and have her focus on BODY COMPOSITION - it's far better to lose BODYFAT than just body mass. Also, just a note about your comments on her weight - if she's lost bodyfat, but gained lean mass over the past few years, her scale weight may not change at all, or little.

If she doesn't already have a trainer, then I recommend that she gets one who can and will individualize her nutrition and training specific for her for her goals and needs. If she's not willing to get a trainer, then I suggest that she starts researching and learning about correct nutrition and training for herself - there is plenty of accurate information out there on it.

One place I recommend she starts, regardless of whether or not she gets a trainer, is with downloading and reading The 3 Keys to Fat Loss - it contains comprehensive advice and information on nutrition, supplementation (she only needs the basics - NOTHING else!), and training (includes a sample resistance training programmes) for effective and successful fat loss. If nothing else, have her follow the principles in this article, and she should see progress and results - if she doesn't, then she's not doing something right.

~Rosie~

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Straight from the guru herself

s7mgte

Awards
she is 5 foot 6 and weighs 182 right now. Her figure actually isnt bad at all. Shes very muscular and can bench 150 which is alot for a girl. She just has the extra flab on her legs and arms she just cant get rid of no matter what. Its starting to get her mad because she puts in more effort than any girl she knows and cant see results meanwhile girls who are just putting in mediocre effort are getting results. By looking at her ... her optimal weight is probably around 145 ish and shed look almost perfect and where she wants to be. She just cant budge from her weight or physique now.

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
Does she log her calories? Losing weight (body fat should be the goal, scales are very unreliable) starts with the diet. It's likely she's either eating more than she realizes, or (as others have said) isn't eating enough. You can only find that out by logging your calories. You can do this for free online (I've always used Fitday, but search around for others). Is she getting enough protein? Has she tried low-carb (one of my old girlfriends had tremendous success going low-carb? Honestly SOMETHING is keeping her from seeing her fitness goals. It's up to you two to figure out what it is. Start tracking EVERYTHING to figure out what's "normal" for her and then tweak based off that.

Increasing movement always helps, but make it movement that doesn't get in the way of recovery. I like fasted morning walks. Obviously what she's doing right now isn't working so get to changing :)

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
she is 5 foot 6 and weighs 182 right now. Her figure actually isnt bad at all. Shes very muscular and can bench 150 which is alot for a girl. She just has the extra flab on her legs and arms she just cant get rid of no matter what. Its starting to get her mad because she puts in more effort than any girl she knows and cant see results meanwhile girls who are just putting in mediocre effort are getting results. By looking at her ... her optimal weight is probably around 145 ish and shed look almost perfect and where she wants to be. She just cant budge from her weight or physique now.
Putting in effort doesn't mean results (and you cannot tell whether or not someone else is putting in a "mediocre effort" just by observing them, because you don't know how intense that training is for that individual - best NOT to make assumptions about ANYone unless you know for sure), especially if she's wasting that effort doing things INcorrectly for her goals. I recommend that you read my initial reply in post #4 and go from there.

~Rosie~

snyper2k2

Awards
Your girl doesnt lose weight because at night she sneaks out with me and I take her out to Micky D's

crystaljonesy

crystaljonesy

Awards
Get her metabolism moving then opt for high fiber diet. Flushing out toxins is one key. Not only a marvelous aid for weight loss, fiber has numerous other health benefits.

chandlerbing

Awards
Take Rosie's advice, add in some fiber, and you're golden.