Got my new diet ready;Got some questions

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Whats up every body, just posting my diet for comments and tips.
I also have some questions about the diet that would help me fine tune it:

Meal # 1

Dymatize Elite Whey Protein 2 scoops
Calories 223
Protein 44g
Carbs 5g
Fat 3g

Flax Oil (Cold Pressed) 1 tablespoon
Calories 126
Fat 14g

Old Fashion Quaker Oats 1 cup dry
Calories 310
Protein 10g
Carbs 54g
Fat 6g

Totals
Calories 659
Protein 54g
Carbs 59g
Fat 23g

Meal# 2

Calories 223
Protein 44g
Carbs 5g
Fat 3g

Stone Ground Whole Wheat Bread 3 slice
Calories 315
Protein 12g
Carbs 60g
Fat 3g

Totals
Calories 538
Protein 56g
Carbs 65g
Fat 6g

Meal # 3

Tyson Lemon Pepper Chicken 2 breast
Calories 353
Protein 62g
Carbs 6g
Fat 9g

Uncle Ben's Ready Rice Whole Grain Brown 1 pouch
Calories 365
Protein 8g
Carbs 72g
Fat 5g

Lettuce, Mixed Baby Greens 2 cup
Calories 33
Protein 2g
Carbs 4g
Fat 1g

Totals
Calories 751
Protein 72g
Carbs 82g
Fat 15g

Meal# 4

Calories 223
Protein 44g
Carbs 5g
Fat 3g

Dextrose 1/2 cup
Calories 450
Carbs 112.5g

Totals
Calories 673
Protein 44g
Carbs 117.5g
Fat 3g

Meal # 5

Tyson Lemon Pepper Chicken 2 breast
Calories 353
Protein 62g
Carbs 6g
Fat 9g

Lettuce, Mixed Baby Greens 2 cup
Calories 33
Protein 2g
Carbs 4g
Fat 1g

Totals
Calories 386
Protein 64g
Carbs 10g
Fat 10g

Meal # 6

Calories 223
Protein 44g
Carbs 5g
Fat 3g

Flax Oil (Cold Pressed) 1 tablespoon
Calories 126
Fat 14g

Totals
Calories 349
Protein 44g
Carbs 5g
Fat 17g

TOTALS FOR DAY
Calories 3356
Protein 334g
Carbs 338.5g
Fat 74g

1. Correct me if I'm wrong,
Your metabolism is at its slowest when you wake up, then gradually rises and peaks at mid-day to evening (depends on when you wake up but you get the idea), then gradually slows bake down again.
So.....if this is the case should your calories per meal also follow this trend? Lowest in morning and night and highest mid-day/evening(ex. after workout).
The only problems with this I can gather is since your glycogen levels are low when you wake (if you did not eat a lot of carbs b4 bed), than a higher calorie meal in the morning would seem to be suitable as really all nutrients would be optimized since your body has just fasted for 8 hours.

2. in meal 2 I am lacking some calories, I could just add another slice of stoned ground whole wheat bread but that would put my carb count rather high and upset my 40/40/20 diet split.

3. I was thinking switching meal 2 and 3 as meal 2 would seem like a better pre workout meal. (meal 2 is 2 hours before workout)

4. In meal 4(post workout) I may have the macronutrients wrong. I tried to find the proper formula for post workout nutrition but was unable to find it.

5. Meal 5 contains no carbohydrates. I was thinking of adding rice and making it the same as meal 3 but would that be too many carbs to late in the day?

6. In meal 1 would egg whites be a better choice for longer satiety or would whey protein be better for quicker absorption after sleep(8 hour fast).

Overall I ESTIMATE I need to hit a higher calorie level(3600) that is why I am asking some of these questions.

Sorry for such a long post, just some things that I cannot figure out.

If you read all of this and looked at my diet thanks alot for that in itself and feel free to comment/criticise as you wish.
BigBody
DAmn...lol...let me try to help out here...

1) That metabolism info I thin is correct, but honestly not completely sure. I know when I have a good sized portion of carbs for my first two meals, by say and hour to two hours after my second meal I can really tell that I look a lot fuller and glycogens are filled back up again. Thats just me though, some may differ...

2) Meal 2 looks fine to me, and if you're using it as a pre-wo meal then you could get away with more carbs anyways...

3) IF possible, stick to the 3rd meal for pre-wo. Especially if you're waiting 2 hours to train. Whey woulddigest too fast and might not have ample amounts for your training session.

4) For post-wo meal 4, I really can't remember the exact formual either. But IMHO, you should use low-GI carbs instead of the dextrose/malto. This is very overated IMO and if you do a search and read up on Bobo's info on it, you'll see why..

5) The best advice I can give is to just try it and see how you do. Some can get away with more carbs at night, some can't.

6) Whey would be more beneficial in the AM, but honestly I don't know how much effect it will have in comparision to a whole food meal...

Hope I could help out a bit bro...

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
No problem man...your questions were not dumb or anything at all....getting nutrition down is key in this game... :thumbsup:

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Your coloric breakdown looks good. But personally, I think you are relying on whey shakes too much for your protein intake. I would cut two of them out and replace them with whole foods. Such as egg whites, tuna, cottage cheese, non-fat milk, maybe some deli turkey, almonds, natty PB, etc.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just glancing at it, I agree with Cuffs.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No problem man...your questions were not dumb or anything at all....getting nutrition down is key in this game... :thumbsup:
Preach on!

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
If your going to have that many shakes, I would recommend some type of protein blend (making your own at one of the customizable places is best). Even still, I would cut out a few and put in more "different" choices of lean protein. Cottage cheese, eggs, some lean red meat.
Your protein choices seem to have very little nutritonal value. Im sure the tyson chicken is fairly processed, and sodium loaded but no big deal on that. But besides your multi, where are you getting your vitamins and especially minerals from. Try adding some eye of round steaks (cheap and very lean), turkey breast meat, and salmon. I also am not a big fan of flax as fish oil is better in practically every way.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
I understand about having something that is quickly available, and I agree, a shake is better than nothing. You can consider foods that you can put in a cold lunch pouch to take with you. Purchase some extra cold packs and keep them in your freezer so they are always on-hand. You can find them cheap. Hard boil a dozen eggs at a time and take with you. Even beef jerky would be a good, fast food for protein. Tuna/salmon pouches are quick and easy. Canned chicken breast is also fast and easy. At times, I take a cold chicken breast that I bbq'ed the night before, cut it up into bite sized pieces, and take with me on the road. You can do the same with some round steak. A custom protein blend, like Scottyo suggested, is a good choice, but will cost you a bit more than you're used to paying with regular whey.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Just substitute the whey powder with egg white powder...

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
If money is a concern....switch the whey to a blend of 40/30/30 whey conc/milk/calc caseinate. You can get that type of blend for around 6lbs a lb.

Also as far as fish/flax....fish is a hell of a lot better. Flax oil needs conversion before use, which relies on a variety of factors and is fairly inefficient. Fish oil is EFA's ready to go as is. You can get them pretty cheap, especially at Sams Club, Costco or online. ALso the liquid is real cheap too.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
instead of some of that whey maybe try chicken breast or turkey in a can, water packed :thumbsup:

Otherwise it looks pretty good to me :)