To lose fat but keep muscle u eat 500 cals less then ur bmr or tdee?

7hebigbeas7

Awards
I've started cutting 2 days ago and I weigh 195, 5"7, age 16 and am eating 2500 cals a day. I am doing 30 mins cardio and 30 mins lifting. Both high intensity. I wanted to clear up, do I eat 3-500 cals less then my tdee or bmr? I have lots of muscle I would like to preserve. My bmr is 2022 and eating less then that is nothing. So tell me which it is? No bull**** answers either.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I've started cutting 2 days ago and I weigh 195, 5"7, age 16 and am eating 2500 cals a day. I am doing 30 mins cardio and 30 mins lifting. Both high intensity. I wanted to clear up, do I eat 3-500 cals less then my tdee or bmr? I have lots of muscle I would like to preserve. My bmr is 2022 and eating less then that is nothing. So tell me which it is? No bull**** answers either.
Generally, to lose bodyfat, you need to be eating LESS than your Maintenance. However, what is ideal for you to lose bodyfat only but maintain your current muscle mass, no one can tell you, and it's something you discover by experimenting. I recommend that you start out at ~200 calories less than Maintenance and adjust your caloric intake on a weekly basis, dependent on your progress and results from that week - i.e. if you lose bodyfat only, then you can go to 300 less the next week, or until you stop making progress; but if you find that you lose some muscle mass, then increase calories slightly.

Just to be sure, you're not doing 30 minutes of resistance training daily, right? Training EVERY day can be detrimental to any body goal, and you should have 1-2 days a week where you are not doing ANY training (unless you're a competitive athlete, at your age, I recommend 2-3 days a week not training) - you get your results in your RECOVERY time, NOT when you're hammering your body, just so you know.

Since you want fat loss, I recommend downloading and reading The 3 Keys to Fat Loss - it contains comprehensive advice and information on nutrition, supplementation (you don't need anything but the basic staples at your age, period!), and training for effective and successful fat loss. Apply the principles outlined in the article and you will see results.

~Rosie~

7hebigbeas7

Awards
Thanks. Good advice. I was originally going to do 7 days a week. Monday- chest and tris, tuesday- back and bis, wed- legs, Thursday- abs and forearms, Friday- shoulders, Saturday and Sunday- 30 mins cardio. After every workout I do 20-30 mins medium intensity with bursts of high intensity. Anyway, thanks again

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Thanks. Good advice. I was originally going to do 7 days a week. Monday- chest and tris, tuesday- back and bis, wed- legs, Thursday- abs and forearms, Friday- shoulders, Saturday and Sunday- 30 mins cardio. After every workout I do 20-30 mins medium intensity with bursts of high intensity. Anyway, thanks again
No worries :)

Honestly, the best thing for you to do if you are serious about your body goals, would be to invest in a trainer who can and will individualize everything from nutrition to training specifically for YOU, who will teach you why they have done what they prescribe and help you gain knowledge about it along the way. Otherwise, you're probably just going to go around in circles, really - not being mean, just honest. If you want to do something, do it right, and there's no better way to do it right than to have the guidance of a professional or a seasoned trainee who knows what they're doing, etc.

All the best though, in achieving your body goals.

~Rosie~

lightemup

lightemup

Awards
  • Established
The only key to preserving the muscle that you have already achieved is to supplement with BCAA's while in your cutting phase. During your cardio, sip on some Xtend. Now REMEMBER the more drastic your weightloss, the greater the chance you take of losing muscle too.