Cutting Carbs Horrible Pumps - AnabolicMinds.com

Cutting Carbs Horrible Pumps

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  234 lbs.
    Answers

Cutting Carbs Horrible Pumps

Question: Starting this past Monday Ive been keeping carbs below 50 and protein between 200-275 per day splitting them between 5-6 meals. Since then Ive lost 4lbs but, my pumps are getting pretty bad. Anyone have any input on this issue?
    My current stack is:
    Pre-WO=1 Titanium+1 Erase+TCF-1+Multi+2 Scoops N.O. Explode

Post-WO= ON 100% Whey protein+Glutamine+BCAA's+3g Creatine Mono

Any suggestions would be appreciated!! Thanks......

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Does it really matter if you get a pump? It has no bearing on the efficacy of the session.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  234 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Does it really matter if you get a pump? It has no bearing on the efficacy of the session.
    Im confused. So im trying to gain muscle mass and shed some fat. Don't the pumps matter when you are lifting heavy and low reps? Excuse my ignorance on this subject please.....Its been about 13 years since doing any training at all, so all of the advice I get is new to me. Thank you!!!

•   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

If you're training with low reps, then you probably won't get a pump at all. Regardless, a pump does not have any bearing on the quality of the session.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  234 lbs.
    Answers

If you're training with low reps, then you probably won't get a pump at all. Regardless, a pump does not have any bearing on the quality of the session.
    Im guessing that Im using the wrong phrasing here and again Im sorry. What im trying to say is, my reps have gone down along with the amount of weight (Like 10lbs) since my last full upper body on Sunday.

6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mnowak1228 View Post
    Im guessing that Im using the wrong phrasing here and again Im sorry. What im trying to say is, my reps have gone down along with the amount of weight (Like 10lbs) since my last full upper body on Sunday.
    Whenever I have cut carbs it takes a while for my body to adjust, you will probably lose some strength since you're cutting out your bodies most efficient fuel source. However, if you're doing this I'm assuming strength isn't your priority.

As far as the pump goes try to have all your carbs in you pre and post workout meals. As far as I understand a pump is important because it signifies increased blood flow to the muscle and a shuttling of nutrients into those muscles. Someone please correct me if this is wrong or not as important as I thought.

7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  234 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by joelast View Post
    Whenever I have cut carbs it takes a while for my body to adjust, you will probably lose some strength since you're cutting out your bodies most efficient fuel source. However, if you're doing this I'm assuming strength isn't your priority.

As far as the pump goes try to have all your carbs in you pre and post workout meals. As far as I understand a pump is important because it signifies increased blood flow to the muscle and a shuttling of nutrients into those muscles. Someone please correct me if this is wrong or not as important as I thought.
    I just don't want to lose muscle mass. Will I still gain muscle while carb cutting? Im trying to gain a little muscle and drop some fat rt now and this was the only method that I read may work.

8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

This is most likely from impaired recovery from not enough calories. When you cut them significantly, this is expected. However, a more modest cut will not have this effect on your performance.

That's the marketing used, but it's pretty misleading. There are many factors that go into a pump (hydration, glycogen levels, etc.), but a pump in and of itself does not matter. It's more or less a temporary vanity boost from the increased bloodflow to the muscle and, no, this does not mean that more nutrients are getting to the area. Recovery is a continuous process and the amount of extra bloodflow to the muscle comes at the expense of blood to other areas in the body. Having a great pump for an hour is not going to make any changes in strength or size.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

9. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Answers

I just don't want to lose muscle mass. Will I still gain muscle while carb cutting? Im trying to gain a little muscle and drop some fat rt now and this was the only method that I read may work.
    I don't know what your metabolism is like but whenever I am trying to recomp (most of the year) I don't cut carbs that low. I keep them in the 150-200 range. This lets me keep my intensity up in lifts, I usually do 45 mins of cardio 4-5 days a week as well.

10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  234 lbs.
    Answers

I don't know what your metabolism is like but whenever I am trying to recomp (most of the year) I don't cut carbs that low. I keep them in the 150-200 range. This lets me keep my intensity up in lifts, I usually do 45 mins of cardio 4-5 days a week as well.
    Thanks for all the advice!! Im actually gonna try the 150 range bc I also do cardio 3-4 days a week. Ill start next Monday and keep the thread posted. I kinda figured that the low carbs were the problem but, like I said, Im a NEWB!!! LOL

11. New Member
    Answers

i cut carbs and have great pumps u mad?

but really. increase rep range, add drop sets,super sets, giant sets and pump will be insane. when i power lift i never get huge pumps

12. Advanced Member
    Answers

Question: Starting this past Monday Ive been keeping carbs below 50 and protein between 200-275 per day splitting them between 5-6 meals. Since then Ive lost 4lbs but, my pumps are getting pretty bad. Anyone have any input on this issue?
    My current stack is:
    Pre-WO=1 Titanium+1 Erase+TCF-1+Multi+2 Scoops N.O. Explode

Post-WO= ON 100% Whey protein+Glutamine+BCAA's+3g Creatine Mono

Any suggestions would be appreciated!! Thanks......
    Muscle pump is actually called reactive hyperemia and during resistance lifting is the product of occluded flow to the arterioles by shortening of the muscle fibers. Once the muscle fiber returns to resting length, a overflow response occurs.

Like Rodja said, it has no effect on metabolic needs of active muscle fibers and therefore, would not increase substrate uptake. Substrate uptake is dependent on a number of other factors.

In my opinion, your carbohydrate intake is far too low and protein intake is far too high. Typically, signaling pathways leading to increased muscle protein synthesis are saturated after 20g of intact protein and further ingestion is irreversibly oxidized (albumin is an exception).

13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

I would up your fat intake. If on a keto diet leave your carbs low, or lower, and eat more fats. ALMONDS, WALNUTS, avacado, macadamia nut oil, Natty peanut butter, Fatty Fish, etc. Get enough fiber by eating Fiberous veggies, and keep the protein high. Eat whole eggs too. 4 to 5 in the morning. Then tell me what your workouts are like. STAY hydrated too. It can affect your pump for sure. Take a pwo with glycerol in it.

14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

The Glycerol will help. we are bodybuilders. we love the pump. i hate not being pumped, unless i am powerlifting. Then its about the lift.

15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Answers

this
    ACSM-CPT

16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

If you train with Low reps, but a lot of sets you can still get pumped up.

17. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Cooky32 View Post
    If you train with Low reps, but a lot of sets you can still get pumped up.
    Again, does it really matter if you get a pump?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

18. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

To some of us it does. However, no it doesnt.

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Cutting, no carbs?
    By someguy1984 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-24-2008, 07:33 PM
  2. cutting carbs
    By swtnycboy in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-30-2007, 12:50 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-03-2007, 06:15 PM