The Official Hypothyroidism Thread

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, first of all, I don't think this necessarily belongs in the "weight loss" section, but I think this is as good of a fit as any of the options. If you're anything like me, this is one of the nastiest things accompanying hypothyroidism.

I had done some searching in the forums and there are plenty of threads asking about thyroid drugs and screwed up thyroids (a lot of, if not most of, the threads are inquiring about the potential of creating hypothyroidism due to abuse of T3), but not one thread came up specifically on hypothyroidism. The idea to start this thread came to me after Kleen set up his thread on Intermittent Fasting -- something totally unrelated, but a thread that brought together a lot of great minds, experiences and discussion. I'm hoping this will do the same.

For those who haven't read any posts from me, I'll include a shortened version of my story (feel free to read over / skip this part :laugh: ).

I've always had trouble losing weight, but always assumed it was something I wasn't doing right. So, I ran more. Then, when that wasn't doing what I wanted, I researched training and perfected my weight-training. Then, when that wasn't doing it, I researched nutrition for quite some time and really put a lot of time and effort into my diet and seemingly perfected that. All that time, I was able to lose fat, but it was like pulling teeth and it was at really low calories for someone of my age, size and activity level.

My whole life, I'd been trying to lose weight the entire time I was lifting (so think of the 10 years I was lifting weights, I was simultaneously trying to lose fat; that was the more important goal the entire time). In April / May of last 2010, I got into arguably the best shape of my life and was pretty ripped and cut up at 208 lbs (all natural, too). I went a full month without even one cheat meal during the final push of that (dropping 6.4 lbs and increasing all of my lifts). I treated myself to a splurge day after that and then got back on the horse of a clean diet, though not as strict as that one month was (just normal lifestyle, not like contest prep, but certainly clean).

I managed to get back up to ~220 lbs in a very short amount of time. I was so frustrated and disappointed; back to square one without even really screwing up. At that point, a friend asked me how long I'd been cutting - when he knew it was that strict for those several months on top of all the years, he said your body probably needs a break and you should try switching it up to bulk for a while. I thought that sounded reasonable and thought, "sure, I'll finally add some nice mass and then get back to cutting."

In about 6 weeks I'd added 24 lbs. I was only eating about 3,500 cals/day (mostly clean) and working out regularly, to boot. While I added some good size, I also added a LOT of fat. I wanted to turn back after about 2 weeks of this, seeing my waist line grow, but everyone said that you just focus on growing during a bulk and then worry about cutting when you cut. Well, for normal people, I suppose that's fine. I ended up at about 244 lbs and thought to myself how badly I needed to cut, so I got back to it. I even tried my first PH to help with the process (Epi bridged into H-drol) and it didn't help in my venture, either.

At the start of 2011, I had a hardcore new year cut mapped out and was a few days in before my weight started slowly going up by about a pound every other day with calories ranging from 2,000 to 2,400 while lifting 5 days a week, doing cardio every morning and a 2nd cardio session on my 2 off days.

I finally said to myself that I can't do anything else to help this. It's clearly something out of my control.

I had a full hormonal panel done on January 21st. On February 1st I got my results and saw I have hypothyroidism. My TSH was 5.67.

All this time, I thought I was doing things wrong, but my body was just battling me. All of those years I was busting and busting my back, I could have just addressed my under-active thyroid and who knows where I'd be now.

Now here's the thing; I'm a firm believer in everything happening for a reason. So, there's a reason my life has taken this path. There's something for me to learn from it and I can tell you that I sure know a ton more about nutrition and training than I ever thought I would. And who knows? Maybe part of this experience was that I could help someone else avoid all of the heartache that I've experienced.

I was on 50mcg of T4 for 6 weeks, which brought my TSH down to 3.69, but I lost no weight during that time. An endocrinologist has since bumped me up to 112mcg/day. I've been on that for just past 3 weeks now, and haven't noticed anything yet, either, but I'm still hopeful. I'll go in in the beginning of June for more blood work and then a followup appointment with the endo.

Until then, I'm just doing what I can, working out hard, eating right and doing a lot of praying.

So, this first post ended up being more about my story than anything else, but I plan on adding a lot of quality information and articles to this and I hope you'll do the same. I'll go back to edit a few posts on some specifics of this.

Let's hear from all of you who suffer from hypothyroidism just like me. Share your story. Share your thoughts. Share whatever you feel comfortable sharing with the rest of us. Let's make this a support group as well as an area to find a plethora of information.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
Seth Roberts book has good information.

Im surprised the Orals didnt help you as most steroids LOWER TBG and TBPA freeing up t3 in the body.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
Well, first of all, I don't think this necessarily belongs in the "weight loss" section, but I think this is as good of a fit as any of the options. If you're anything like me, this is one of the nastiest things accompanying hypothyroidism.

I had done some searching in the forums and there are plenty of threads asking about thyroid drugs and screwed up thyroids (a lot of, if not most of, the threads are inquiring about the potential of creating hypothyroidism due to abuse of T3), but not one thread came up specifically on hypothyroidism. The idea to start this thread came to me after Kleen set up his thread on Intermittent Fasting -- something totally unrelated, but a thread that brought together a lot of great minds, experiences and discussion. I'm hoping this will do the same.

For those who haven't read any posts from me, I'll include a shortened version of my story (feel free to read over / skip this part :laugh: ).

I've always had trouble losing weight, but always assumed it was something I wasn't doing right. So, I ran more. Then, when that wasn't doing what I wanted, I researched training and perfected my weight-training. Then, when that wasn't doing it, I researched nutrition for quite some time and really put a lot of time and effort into my diet and seemingly perfected that. All that time, I was able to lose fat, but it was like pulling teeth and it was at really low calories for someone of my age, size and activity level.

My whole life, I'd been trying to lose weight the entire time I was lifting (so think of the 10 years I was lifting weights, I was simultaneously trying to lose fat; that was the more important goal the entire time). In April / May of last 2010, I got into arguably the best shape of my life and was pretty ripped and cut up at 208 lbs (all natural, too). I went a full month without even one cheat meal during the final push of that (dropping 6.4 lbs and increasing all of my lifts). I treated myself to a splurge day after that and then got back on the horse of a clean diet, though not as strict as that one month was (just normal lifestyle, not like contest prep, but certainly clean).

I managed to get back up to ~220 lbs in a very short amount of time. I was so frustrated and disappointed; back to square one without even really screwing up. At that point, a friend asked me how long I'd been cutting - when he knew it was that strict for those several months on top of all the years, he said your body probably needs a break and you should try switching it up to bulk for a while. I thought that sounded reasonable and thought, "sure, I'll finally add some nice mass and then get back to cutting."

In about 6 weeks I'd added 24 lbs. I was only eating about 3,500 cals/day (mostly clean) and working out regularly, to boot. While I added some good size, I also added a LOT of fat. I wanted to turn back after about 2 weeks of this, seeing my waist line grow, but everyone said that you just focus on growing during a bulk and then worry about cutting when you cut. Well, for normal people, I suppose that's fine. I ended up at about 244 lbs and thought to myself how badly I needed to cut, so I got back to it. I even tried my first PH to help with the process (Epi bridged into H-drol) and it didn't help in my venture, either.

At the start of 2011, I had a hardcore new year cut mapped out and was a few days in before my weight started slowly going up by about a pound every other day with calories ranging from 2,000 to 2,400 while lifting 5 days a week, doing cardio every morning and a 2nd cardio session on my 2 off days.

I finally said to myself that I can't do anything else to help this. It's clearly something out of my control.

I had a full hormonal panel done on January 21st. On February 1st I got my results and saw I have hypothyroidism. My TSH was 5.67.

All this time, I thought I was doing things wrong, but my body was just battling me. All of those years I was busting and busting my back, I could have just addressed my under-active thyroid and who knows where I'd be now.

Now here's the thing; I'm a firm believer in everything happening for a reason. So, there's a reason my life has taken this path. There's something for me to learn from it and I can tell you that I sure know a ton more about nutrition and training than I ever thought I would. And who knows? Maybe part of this experience was that I could help someone else avoid all of the heartache that I've experienced.

I was on 50mcg of T4 for 6 weeks, which brought my TSH down to 3.69, but I lost no weight during that time. An endocrinologist has since bumped me up to 112mcg/day. I've been on that for just past 3 weeks now, and haven't noticed anything yet, either, but I'm still hopeful. I'll go in in the beginning of June for more blood work and then a followup appointment with the endo.

Until then, I'm just doing what I can, working out hard, eating right and doing a lot of praying.

So, this first post ended up being more about my story than anything else, but I plan on adding a lot of quality information and articles to this and I hope you'll do the same. I'll go back to edit a few posts on some specifics of this.

Let's hear from all of you who suffer from hypothyroidism just like me. Share your story. Share your thoughts. Share whatever you feel comfortable sharing with the rest of us. Let's make this a support group as well as an area to find a plethora of information.
Free t3 and free t4 along with TBG test would be nice to see. TSH is a good indicator but you need more numbers. Thyroid is a ridiculously tricky thing to correct. There is so much about it. but if i were you i would look into ARMOUR thyroid (4:1 ratio not 5:1 ratio) and see what they say. It really not available in the states but if you have a script you can order from a canadian pharmacy. Im in the process for my mother right now,.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hmmm....I have to lower calories pretty significantly to lose fat. Plus I can gain really easily too. 3500 calories is a ton for me. I start gaining around 2300-2500 calories. If I ate 3500 calories I'd look like this,

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I feel your pain.lol I have the worst metabolism ever. I need to eat 1-1500 calories, plus do a stupid amount of cardio just to sit around 12% bf.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i'll be here to learn.
Glad to have you around, bud.

Seth Roberts book has good information.

Im surprised the Orals didnt help you as most steroids LOWER TBG and TBPA freeing up t3 in the body.
I'll have to look into it.

And I'm surprised they didn't help me, either. I was eating low calories (2,000-2,500 range) while lifting / doing cardio regularly and gaining weight, so I just started running it with it and fought trying to cut at that point.

Free t3 and free t4 along with TBG test would be nice to see. TSH is a good indicator but you need more numbers. Thyroid is a ridiculously tricky thing to correct. There is so much about it. but if i were you i would look into ARMOUR thyroid (4:1 ratio not 5:1 ratio) and see what they say. It really not available in the states but if you have a script you can order from a canadian pharmacy. Im in the process for my mother right now,.
Thanks for the info. I just tossed TSH up there because that's the number I remember in my head; I've had both free T3 and T4 tested, as well. I'll have to double check on TBG. After talking with Matrix a bit and seeing what he's posted, I'd definitely agree that it seems to be very tricky.

I actually asked my endo who bumped me to 112mcg T4 about a combination of the T3/T4 and he initially dismissed it rather quickly. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, since I'd only worked with a GP prior to him, but 3 weeks in and I've seen no progress and still have crummy energy levels. We'll see what the blood work shows when I get it done early June, and I'll see what his thoughts are on it in our followup consultation.

I'll likely request that he signs off on having test/estradiol checked in this, as well, since I know insurance covers those tests and he noted that my test levels were lower than they should be (still in normal range, but not optimal) when we met last month.

Hmmm....I have to lower calories pretty significantly to lose fat. Plus I can gain really easily too. 3500 calories is a ton for me. I start gaining around 2300-2500 calories. If I ate 3500 calories I'd look like this,

Haha, well 3500 cals is definitely a lot; no doubt about it. And I should have known better; knowing that I can gain at a lower cal intake and done it gradually -- but I didn't.

That being said, for my size, age and activity level; it shouldn't have to be such a low cal intake to maintain or lose. In college I played full-court basketball 4-5 nights a week for upwards of 3 hours a night (and I was the guy sprinting on fast breaks; granted it was because that's how I got points to beat out guys who were clearly better players than me lol). There's definitely a difference in a slow metabolism and one that just doesn't allow you to lose anything, which is what it has since transitioned into.

I feel your pain.lol I have the worst metabolism ever. I need to eat 1-1500 calories, plus do a stupid amount of cardio just to sit around 12% bf.
I wish I was ever at 12% bf lol. But yeah, it's not pleasant to have to live/eat that way at all. I'm not saying I want to eat 5k cal/day to maintain or anything like that; that would just be work lol, but I'd love to be able to not eat like a 9 year old girl to ever make progress cutting.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I wish I was ever at 12% bf lol. But yeah, it's not pleasant to have to live/eat that way at all. I'm not saying I want to eat 5k cal/day to maintain or anything like that; that would just be work lol, but I'd love to be able to not eat like a 9 year old girl to ever make progress cutting.
It is retarded, believe me. To get to 12% I need to be eating around 1300 cal, doing 7+ hrs of cardio a week..lol Also it takes a long ass time.

It is extremely frustrating to be on a strict diet 24/7, 365 just to never get as lean as I would like. It also makes building muscle hard, as I can't eat the cals I would like, without starting to pick up too much fat at which point I bitch out and start to reduce calories again.

More frustrating to see people give it a half ass attempt, and get shredded..lol

Last time I had my TSH tested, it came back at 4.xx my Dr said she doesn't treat until 12 or some **** like that. :wow:

I have been self treating with a low dose of t3, after striking out with incompetent Dr's, but will try looking again after the summer. Honestly as far as fatloss goes it hasn't helped much, if at all, so I likely will need a more significant dose.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is retarded, believe me. To get to 12% I need to be eating around 1300 cal, doing 7+ hrs of cardio a week..lol Also it takes a long ass time.

It is extremely frustrating to be on a strict diet 24/7, 365 just to never get as lean as I would like. It also makes building muscle hard, as I can't eat the cals I would like, without starting to pick up too much fat at which point I bitch out and start to reduce calories again.

More frustrating to see people give it a half ass attempt, and get shredded..lol

Last time I had my TSH tested, it came back at 4.xx my Dr said she doesn't treat until 12 or some **** like that. :wow:

I have been self treating with a low dose of t3, after striking out with incompetent Dr's, but will try looking again after the summer. Honestly as far as fatloss goes it hasn't helped much, if at all, so I likely will need a more significant dose.
Yeah, watching people make small changes and reap huge benefits hurts me a lot lol. But, I always said "you just have to work harder." I get that not everything should be equal and I have to work harder; I'm okay with that, even. But recently it was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

If I were you, I'd definitely find a better endo who will work with you. I feel like the guy I met with will, so that makes me comfortable. Ever since getting past the initial GP (who I'll never go back to), I've had great luck with doctors down here.

jdub1980

Awards
My doc put me on .75mg synthroid (synthetic t4) after TSH came back at 10.69 and before testing free t3/t4. He now wants to test for free t3/t4, reverse t3 and thryoid antibodies after being on synthroid for 2 months. I asked him if I needed to lay off before these tests to get a more accurate result and he said no. Quit taking synthroid anyway and will have been off of it for 1 month by the time my bloodwork is scheduled on 6/8/11. If levels are low, I will ask for better treatment than synthroid alone. Would like to try to get desiccated thyroid, but if he doesn't go for that I will all but demand to be put on cytomel (synthetic t3) and synthroid together.

Is anyone else treating hypothyroidism with desiccated thyroid or cytomel/synthroid?
What about ratio of cytomel/synthroid?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Subbed to discuss and learn more about this ;)

p.s glad Hypno-Toad is not here
Glad to have you aboard, Maxx!

And hypno-toad suffers from hyperthyroidism, so he'd have no fun in this thread :laugh:

reacher

Awards
Subbed. I just got a TSH of 5.xx and waiting on results from full panel.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
definetly keep bringing up armour thryoid, there are some vitamins and minerals that may be very beneficial, but more then likely if your thyroid is out of wack there are some other hormonal problems.

log a food diary and try and find missing nutrients and supplement with them.

spimp187

Awards
This is an interesting thread. What OP is describing is me to a T. I have to get down to 1700 cal. at least to notice any weight loss. And that's when I'm doing no carb. This thread has motivated me to make an appt. with a doc to get tested. I've been doing some research on hypothyroidism and read that it could be related to iodine deficiency. What are your thoughts on this? Anyone have any luck supplementing with iodine/kelp?

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
This is an interesting thread. What OP is describing is me to a T. I have to get down to 1700 cal. at least to notice any weight loss. And that's when I'm doing no carb. This thread has motivated me to make an appt. with a doc to get tested. I've been doing some research on hypothyroidism and read that it could be related to iodine deficiency. What are your thoughts on this? Anyone have any luck supplementing with iodine/kelp?
its possible but there are other things that help with thyroid as well like selenium.

i would say you may not be iodine defiecient and if you are... are you using flourinated toothpaste?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Gonna be a great thread - sub'd ;)

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
I'm sub'd too, but let me add a caveat, anybody self medicating be careful, I have read the thyroid is not something you want to mess up, or it can stay messed up for life, Im just sayin, we see guys all the time run steroids haphazardly, however, the smart ones get blood work and do things as sensibly as possible. Im aware that it is/has been trendy to mess with t3/t4, cytomel, triacana, levo, sythroid, armor, etc, but fooling around with the thyroid should be handled as sensibly as possible. That mys official PSA, carryon.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For the people didn`t know what is Hypothyroidism

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001393/
Good post, Maxx.

You also may want to add in the page you shared with me about thyroid and overall endocrine / metabolism issues - that was a fantastic read.

Whenever I get back from Hawaii, I'll take and doctor up the initial post and start adding in the informative links and such.

Subbed. I just got a TSH of 5.xx and waiting on results from full panel.
Sounds like mine. I hope it turns out well for ya.

definetly keep bringing up armour thryoid, there are some vitamins and minerals that may be very beneficial, but more then likely if your thyroid is out of wack there are some other hormonal problems.

log a food diary and try and find missing nutrients and supplement with them.
Good point on the food diary for sure, as well as the other minerals, vitamins, etc.

I'm glad it's motivated you to make an appointment, man. I wish I would have done that years ago and saved some time and effort.

Maxx actually shared a great link with me about iodine deficiency and another member talked to me about it, too. I'm a few days in on using NOW's "Thyroid Energy" which only has a minimal amount of iodine in it (along with tyrosine and some other helpful ingredients). While I'm starting my stimulant detox, I thought it would be a great thing to use.

I did order some iodine, though, per recommendation of another member and I'll probably start adding it in to see if it helps when I get back home from vacation. He said it didn't help him, but it did help his mother lose some weight without making any other changes.

its possible but there are other things that help with thyroid as well like selenium.

i would say you may not be iodine defiecient and if you are... are you using flourinated toothpaste?
If Maxx doesn't post it up, I'll try to fish through and find the link he gave me - it has a lot of good info on this.

Gonna be a great thread - sub'd ;)
Glad you're aboard! I figured it would be a good place for all of us to share information and experiences because it can certainly be a frustrating thing to go through; particularly for us who are trying to build our bodies into things that most people aren't.

I'm sub'd too, but let me add a caveat, anybody self medicating be careful, I have read the thyroid is not something you want to mess up, or it can stay messed up for life, Im just sayin, we see guys all the time run steroids haphazardly, however, the smart ones get blood work and do things as sensibly as possible. Im aware that it is/has been trendy to mess with t3/t4, cytomel, triacana, levo, sythroid, armor, etc, but fooling around with the thyroid should be handled as sensibly as possible. That mys official PSA, carryon.
Very good point, RoadBlock.

I'll say right now that my hypothyroidism was something that I've probably always had and wasn't brought on by any type of T3 abuse or anything like that. I certainly agree that messing with these things when you have a functioning thyroid is not a smar thing to do - but for us who already will be on medication the rest of our lives, it makes you a little less hesitant to find things that work.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just wanted to give a heads up that I've added some helpful links into Post #2 back on Page 1.

Shoutouts to Maxx and Makaveli for sending them to me. You guys have been helping me immensely and I hope that in time this thread will be helpful to many others and cut down in the amount of time it takes them to realize there's a problem and how to address it.

I'll continuously update Post #2 and I'll always add a new post making a note of it.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interesting excerpt from the article I just linked in Post #2, today:

With conditions that cause an increase in serum binding proteins, such as high estrogen states (e.g., pregnancy), oral contraceptive use or postmenopausal estrogen replacement, the dosage of levothyroxine must be increased. In contrast, androgens decrease levels of thyroid binding proteins, necessitating a reduction in the dosage.
The way I'm reading that, androgens would make the thyroid medication more effective. Now they're just talking about levothyroxine (T4), here, but I wonder if the same is true of T3. If it is, it would lead me to believe that being on any type of androgenic steroid would enhance the T3's properties, which would mean actually needing to use less.

This isn't anything that matters to me, but food for thought for those who aren't hypo and toy around with T3.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Interesting excerpt from the article I just linked in Post #2, today:

The way I'm reading that, androgens would make the thyroid medication more effective. Now they're just talking about levothyroxine (T4), here, but I wonder if the same is true of T3. If it is, it would lead me to believe that being on any type of androgenic steroid would enhance the T3's properties, which would mean actually needing to use less.

This isn't anything that matters to me, but food for thought for those who aren't hypo and toy around with T3.
interesting read! I never knew that

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
interesting read! I never knew that
That was the first I've read of it, too.

And actually, I stumbled upon it when searching "secondary hypothyroidism." You heard of that, Makaveli? Of all things, the first I've heard of it was from my chiropractor yesterday. Not nearly as much information on it out there, but it's my next guess if the reverse T3 thing isn't it. Might be worth looking into for you, too.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
That was the first I've read of it, too.

And actually, I stumbled upon it when searching "secondary hypothyroidism." You heard of that, Makaveli? Of all things, the first I've heard of it was from my chiropractor yesterday. Not nearly as much information on it out there, but it's my next guess if the reverse T3 thing isn't it. Might be worth looking into for you, too.
I have. My understanding is that just like primary and secondary hypogonadism, primary is when the thyroid itself is not functioning properly, and the secondary is when something else in the "chain" so to speak such as the hypothalamus or pituitary gland is causing the problem instead.

I will most certainly keep it in mind if this t3 only does not work (though it seems to be actually be getting noticeably better). Thanks for reminding me of it bro and keeping it fresh in my mind. Might have to go do some sleuthing on it just in case....

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have. My understanding is that just like primary and secondary hypogonadism, primary is when the thyroid itself is not functioning properly, and the secondary is when something else in the "chain" so to speak such as the hypothalamus or pituitary gland is causing the problem instead.

I will most certainly keep it in mind if this t3 only does not work (though it seems to be actually be getting noticeably better). Thanks for reminding me of it bro and keeping it fresh in my mind. Might have to go do some sleuthing on it just in case....
Yep, nail on the head. Hypothalmus/pituitary axis. Possible testing of TRH and looking at underfunctioning adrenals, too. Always nice to have an ace up the sleeve.

Glad to hear the T3 is going well for you. I'm so tempted to drop the T4, but I've gone this far that I'm just gonna ride it out til I get the bloodwork back to confirm everything. I'll also hit you back from your PM yesterday, in a bit.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great Thread ;)
Thanks, Maxx. And thanks for the handbook, as well. It's certainly on my to-read list.

Thought i'd pop in and update this with a link.

http://www.pacificwellspring.com/long-term-weight-loss-more-than-will-power/

This is actually specifically for you beast :) Read that 2nd article all about reverse t3
That is a great article. No one even mentioned checking leptin levels, and it seems that would be quite the smart thing to check on, too. I'm going to update the links post with this one in there as it should certainly be a staple.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Great Thread ;)
hey maxx, do you think you can dig up that research you posted in another thread about ALA interfering with thyroid meds? I'm sure that could be good info for everyone in here, I know I'd love to re read that. I used to be all about my need2slin, popped them things like skittles man. But I switched to other things for a GDA with no ALA involved.

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Withania somnifera and Bauhinia purpurea in the regulation of circulating thyroid hormone concentrations in female mice.
Panda S, Kar A.

School of Life Sciences, Devi Ahilya University, Vigyan Bhavan, Indore, India. [email protected]

Abstract

The effects of daily administration of Withania somnifera root extract (1.4 g/kg body wt.) and Bauhinia purpurea bark extract (2.5 mg/kg body wt.) for 20 days on thyroid function in female mice were investigated. While serum triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4) concentrations were increased significantly by Bauhinia, Withania could enhance only serum T4 concentration. Both the plant extracts showed an increase in hepatic glucose-6-phosphatase (G-6-Pase) activity and antiperoxidative effects as indicated either by a decrease in hepatic lipid peroxidation (LPO) and/or by an increase in the activity of antioxidant enzyme(s). It appears that these plant extracts are capable of stimulating thyroid function in female mice.

*Bauhiniastatins 1-4 from Bauhinia purpurea

Sea Kelp (Ascophyllum nodosum) is a dietary source of bio-available iodine. An additional benefit of Ascophyllum nodosum is its ability to increase glutathione peroxidase activity, an important antioxidant. Human thyrocytes synthesize and secrete extracellular glutathione peroxidase, which translocates into the intracellular space and prevents peroxidative damage of thyrocytes from diffusion of extracellular H202 during stimulation of thyroid-hormone synthesis.

Bladderwrack (Fucus vesiculosus), another dietary source of natural bio-available iodine, has been used by many societies throughout history. Bladderwrack has also demonstrated anti-estrogen properties in both human and animal studies, suggesting that it may contribute protective health to estrogen sensitive tissues.

Guggulsterone (Commiphora mukul) has shown an ability to support thyroid function, especially through increased conversion of T4 to T3 in the liver, the principle site of T3 generation.* The effects of guggulsterone may be due to its ability to activate multiple receptors on the nuclear membrane, including thyroid receptors (alpha & beta), retinoic acid receptors, (which pairs with thyroid receptors), and the vitamin D receptor, which also plays a role in thyroid function. Guggulsterone, a component of Commiphora mukul supports healthy cholesterol levels and affects LDL oxidation, an important feature since the oxidation of LDL may have an effect on cardiovascular health, a critical concern for those with sub-optimal thyroid function

Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) provides carnosic acid, a polyphenolic diterpene that at low concentrations increases the expression of vitamin D and retinoid receptors. Retinoid-X-receptors (RXR) undergo heterodimerization with thyroid hormone receptors (TR). The RXR/TR heterodimers have been proposed to be the principle mediators of target gene regulation by T3 hormone. The ability of carnosic acid to also affect retinoic acid receptors may increase its importance as a TR agonist. Rosemary also contributes rosmarinic acid, which has significant antioxidant and anxiolytic properties. An additional constituent, carnosol, may support healthy metalloproteinase-9 activity and healthy NF-kappaB activity, which may be responsible for its support of normal immune system function.

Sage (Salvia officinalis) has long been recognized as a very rich source of the antioxidant carnosic acid which, as noted above, can increase T3 activity through improved RXR/TR heterodimerization. Important features of Salvia officinalis are also its memory supportive properties, including memory retention, more efficient memory retrieval and improved mood and cognitive task performance.

Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) demonstrated an ability to directly act on the thyroid to raise serum levels of thyroid hormones in animal studies during the late 1990s. Though inconclusive, a case review in late 2005 indicated that Ashwagandha may have the ability to raise serum levels of thyroid hormones in humans. Ashwagandha has also been attributed as having a number of adaptogenic properties including neuroprotective properties.

Coleus (Coleus forskohlii) contains forskolin, a potent activator of the cyclic AMP-generating system in many tissues including the thyroid, and increases T3 & T4 secretion from thyrocytes in a fashion similar to TSH, though independent from TSH. Forskolin is specifically able to mimic the effect of TSH in regard to iodide uptake, organification of iodine, thyroglobulin (TG) production, and promote secretion of T3 & T4, through an increase in the expression of sodium/iodide symporter (NIS) proteins.

Brahmi (Bacopa monniera) It has been proposed that the mechanism behind the action of Bacopa is due to an increase in certain enzymes that aid in the repair of neurons and neuronal synthesis, synaptic activity, and ultimately nerve impulse transmission. Other research points to a protective antioxidant effect that may be responsible for the improved neuronal functioning seen with Bacopa administration.

Bacopa's traditional use as an anti-anxiety remedy in Ayurvedic medicine is supported by both animal and clinical research. Research using a rat model of clinical anxiety demonstrated a Bacopa extract of 25-percent bacoside A exerted anxiolytic activity comparable to Lorazepam, a common benzodiazapene anxiolytic drug. Importantly, the Bacopa extract did not induce amnesia, side effects associated with Lorazepam, but instead had a memory-enhancing effect.

Last but not least, in animal studies Bacopa has been shown to increase T(4) concentration by 41% without enhancing hepatic lipid peroxidation (LPO) suggesting that it can be used as a thyroid-stimulating drug. In fact, hepatic LPO was decreased and superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase (CAT) activities were increased by B. monnieri. LPO is a bad thing because it creates a chain reaction of cell-damaging free radicals. SOD and catalase on the other hand quench harmful free radicals

Hops (Humulus lupulus) can increase the uptake of iodide into the thyroid gland, a fundamental step in thyroid hormone synthesis, through interactions with sodium-iodide-symporter (NIS) proteins. This observation is quite the opposite of many other plant-derived phenolic secondary metabolites such as isoflavonoids, which can potentially inhibit iodide uptake. Xanthohumol, a chalcone found in Humulus lupulus, plays a critical role in supporting normal blood lipid and glucose metabolism.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Still following along. Keep the good info coming.

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I read something about carnitine states it also affects hypothyroid negatively but is great for hyperthroid. Studies done used doses of 2000 to 4000mg per day.

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
hey maxx, do you think you can dig up that research you posted in another thread about ALA interfering with thyroid meds? I'm sure that could be good info for everyone in here, I know I'd love to re read that. I used to be all about my need2slin, popped them things like skittles man. But I switched to other things for a GDA with no ALA involved.

Effect of alpha-lipoic acid on the peripheral conversion of thyroxine to triiodothyronine and on serum lipid-, protein- and glucose levels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1815532

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I read something about carnitine states it also affects hypothyroid negatively but is great for hyperthroid. Studies done used doses of 2000 to 4000mg per day.
Effect of alpha-lipoic acid on the peripheral conversion of thyroxine to triiodothyronine and on serum lipid-, protein- and glucose levels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1815532
Both of these are certainly interesting, as both are products that I use and am sure many others do as well.

sapentia

sapentia

Awards
On February 1st I got my results and saw I have hypothyroidism. My TSH was 5.67.

Your story is scary similar to mine from struggling to stay trim even though you try everything to just finding out you are hypo. Week and a half ago I had blood drawn for a comprehensive panel to include TSH. I got the results a few days later and I come to TSH - 69.12!!! I saw the top end of the range was like 4.5. I was like oh snap!, that isn't good. I proceed to do some serious reading on hypothyroidism and it turns out I have a majority of the symptoms. I go in the next morning and get more blood drawn for a fuller thyroid panel but no rev. T3 or antibodies. Got those results yesterday, TSH was 50 but free T3 and free T4 were in the normal range! Confusing... After the original results I had talked with my regular physician and he called in a scrip. for levothyroxine (T4). He was also seriously anti dessicated thyroid and/ T3; he also told me that free T3 and T4 were a waste of time and I only needed TSH. That turned me off big time and I have since found a holistic MD who will take a much more open minded approach looking at all the aspects to include my symptoms. My first appt. is next Tues.; supposedly, it lasts 1 1/2 hrs. one on one with the doc. as he wants to really get in depth - I haven't met any doctors like that so I am hopeful.

Based on my research I am not a fan of T4 only treatment as there is no guarantee that proper conversion to T3 will take place. It is completely possible to have a normal TSH reading via T4 while the T3 levels aren't good. Furthermore, it is possible to have a normal T3 level and still be deficient as the ratio of reverse T3 to active T3 could be too high. Regular T3 testing doesn't distinguish between the two forms. Reverse T3 is not active and worse, it binds to T3 receptor sites inhibiting active T3 from binding to the receptor sites. That is why I really wish I had gotten my rev. T3 test. In the meantime I am slowly working up my T4 dosage. Very strange but all of it is discouraging and encouraging at the same time. It sucks to find out your body is screwed up, but then it helps explain things that have been difficult and gives hope that there may be a remedy in site.

I will update after my appointment next week.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Your story is scary similar to mine from struggling to stay trim even though you try everything to just finding out you are hypo. Week and a half ago I had blood drawn for a comprehensive panel to include TSH. I got the results a few days later and I come to TSH - 69.12!!! I saw the top end of the range was like 4.5. I was like oh snap!, that isn't good. I proceed to do some serious reading on hypothyroidism and it turns out I have a majority of the symptoms. I go in the next morning and get more blood drawn for a fuller thyroid panel but no rev. T3 or antibodies. Got those results yesterday, TSH was 50 but free T3 and free T4 were in the normal range! Confusing... After the original results I had talked with my regular physician and he called in a scrip. for levothyroxine (T4). He was also seriously anti dessicated thyroid and/ T3; he also told me that free T3 and T4 were a waste of time and I only needed TSH. That turned me off big time and I have since found a holistic MD who will take a much more open minded approach looking at all the aspects to include my symptoms. My first appt. is next Tues.; supposedly, it lasts 1 1/2 hrs. one on one with the doc. as he wants to really get in depth - I haven't met any doctors like that so I am hopeful.

Based on my research I am not a fan of T4 only treatment as there is no guarantee that proper conversion to T3 will take place. It is completely possible to have a normal TSH reading via T4 while the T3 levels aren't good. Furthermore, it is possible to have a normal T3 level and still be deficient as the ratio of reverse T3 to active T3 could be too high. Regular T3 testing doesn't distinguish between the two forms. Reverse T3 is not active and worse, it binds to T3 receptor sites inhibiting active T3 from binding to the receptor sites. That is why I really wish I had gotten my rev. T3 test. In the meantime I am slowly working up my T4 dosage. Very strange but all of it is discouraging and encouraging at the same time. It sucks to find out your body is screwed up, but then it helps explain things that have been difficult and gives hope that there may be a remedy in site.

best of luck! And keep us updated. It also wouldn't hurt to ask for your cortisol to be tested as well. To rule out any adrenal problems.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Good job on finding a doctor who you feel comfortable with. Definitely get the reverse T3 checked into and check on some of those links on Page 1 about different things to look at testing (iron, cortisol, etc.). Don't be turned off by T4 only. If you can make that work, that's definitely optimal, because of the half life of the drug and other reasons, too. If it's reverse T3, though, then, from my understanding, the T3 is the only option.

Good luck, bro, and we're all in this thing together.

imsothemanxd

Awards
dude i feel this... it takes me weeks to lose a pound. on a low calorie diet with over 190 pounds of muscle lol.. maybe i have problems.. or maybe i just dont drink water =/

heres a good page i didnt see sourced... lots of info.

thyroiduk dot org

Impit

Awards
There are some excellent tips in this thread. Thank you everyone for sharing.

I also suffer from hypothyroidism since I was about 13 years old. Judging by the doses of the T4 that you're taking, I am guessing I'm a little bit on the more severe side since I've been at 150mcg of Synthroid daily...

Unfortunately every doctor I've ever visited regarding it has been very vague about what my blood work numbers come back as and every time I mention supplementing in T3, they basically shrug me off as if I was advocating some old wives tale remedy. Everything I've ever read about taking T3 has been beneficial, but none of my doctors have wanted to put any time into going over the information with me. Very frustrating.

One other tip that I could pass along to help, which was given to me very sternly from an endocrinologist of mine, is that you NEVER take Synthroid [or other T4 medication] with calcium. The two supplements should be taken as far apart as possible, since calcium blocks the absorption of the hormone. No scientific backing behind this, but thought I'd pass it on to anyone taking a multivitamin with their medication like I used to.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Good tip imp, i never knew that. Calcium blocks absorption of a number of things. Iron being another. As far as your situation goes, i think the best advice i could give, and im sure beast will agree, is that you have a right to know what the numbers are on any bloodwork you get done. And if they are being too vague about it for you, ask for copies of your labwork and do some research on the specifics of what the numbers mean and how they relate to your particular situation and symptoms. Unless you really find a gem of a doc, they can all have kind of a "definitive authority" type of attitude when treating you. In reality, the world of healthcare moves sooo fast that nobody is the definitive authority on how to treat someone. Nothing wrong with seeking a second or even third opinion, even printing off some research u have done and brining it to an open minded doc. I think the bst quote about how to put it that i have heard is basically dont be a backseat passenger on treating YOUR body :)

This has turned into a really great thread beast, i give u all the props in the world for making this thread and telling your story....which i guarantee you will turn out to have a happy ending bro.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Wow. This thread keeps getting better, thanks for sharing some great info.

Question(sorry if it was asked) any thoughts on PES shift (3,3), anyone with a "true" problem thinking about trying it, any body think it will make a diff.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Well, its basically t2 as far as i know. Not much is ever really written on t2, the only two thyroid hormones ever mentioned are the obvious t3 and t4. There is actually a really really great sticky over in the anabolics section, i believe its in the cycle info section. Im on my cell so i cant check and link u right now, but it gives an overview of t3 and actually goes into quite a bit of detail on t2 as well and how the two compare.

Now that you mention it that would seem like a great sponsored log for pes to do with someone where they get bloods done pre shift or alpha t2 and then get a thyroid panel done again 4 to 6 weeks or what have u in, and see the effect it had on their numbers. Id certainly be curious...

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
dude i feel this... it takes me weeks to lose a pound. on a low calorie diet with over 190 pounds of muscle lol.. maybe i have problems.. or maybe i just dont drink water =/

heres a good page i didnt see sourced... lots of info.

thyroiduk dot org
If you haven't had a thyroid panel done, it's worth looking into. Like I said, I dealt with that for years but just always assumed I was doing something else wrong or not hard enough and on top of that I had a "slow metabolism." I never knew that one could actually control their metabolism; I thought it was just what you were born with and you were stuck with it. Hypothyroidism is something people who haven't busted their backs in the kitchen and in the gym will cry in hopes of taking an easy way out and not taking the blame for anything, but for those who do everything else right with little to no success - it's worth looking into earlier rather than later.

There are some excellent tips in this thread. Thank you everyone for sharing.

I also suffer from hypothyroidism since I was about 13 years old. Judging by the doses of the T4 that you're taking, I am guessing I'm a little bit on the more severe side since I've been at 150mcg of Synthroid daily...

Unfortunately every doctor I've ever visited regarding it has been very vague about what my blood work numbers come back as and every time I mention supplementing in T3, they basically shrug me off as if I was advocating some old wives tale remedy. Everything I've ever read about taking T3 has been beneficial, but none of my doctors have wanted to put any time into going over the information with me. Very frustrating.

One other tip that I could pass along to help, which was given to me very sternly from an endocrinologist of mine, is that you NEVER take Synthroid [or other T4 medication] with calcium. The two supplements should be taken as far apart as possible, since calcium blocks the absorption of the hormone. No scientific backing behind this, but thought I'd pass it on to anyone taking a multivitamin with their medication like I used to.
Good tip imp, i never knew that. Calcium blocks absorption of a number of things. Iron being another. As far as your situation goes, i think the best advice i could give, and im sure beast will agree, is that you have a right to know what the numbers are on any bloodwork you get done. And if they are being too vague about it for you, ask for copies of your labwork and do some research on the specifics of what the numbers mean and how they relate to your particular situation and symptoms. Unless you really find a gem of a doc, they can all have kind of a "definitive authority" type of attitude when treating you. In reality, the world of healthcare moves sooo fast that nobody is the definitive authority on how to treat someone. Nothing wrong with seeking a second or even third opinion, even printing off some research u have done and brining it to an open minded doc. I think the bst quote about how to put it that i have heard is basically dont be a backseat passenger on treating YOUR body :)

This has turned into a really great thread beast, i give u all the props in the world for making this thread and telling your story....which i guarantee you will turn out to have a happy ending bro.
I agree with everything you said, bud. You're very wise in this field and I agree wholeheartedly on all points. Particularly the fact that your blood work is YOUR blood work. I now get copies of all of my labs and I scan them all into PDFs and keep them on a jump drive. Ask to see it, ask to have it explained and then take the time to research as much as you can on your own to interpret them, too.

As far as why docs don't want to go with T3, there are really 2 main reasons:

1. T3 has a shorter half life and it's much easier to spike levels, be imbalanced and experience hyperthyroidism symptoms, as well (versus T4 taking a long time to build up, taking it once a day and not worrying).

2. T3 when taken improperly or too long (read: too much and/or for too long of a duration), you will kill off your natural thyroid production and be dependent upon T3 for the rest of your life.

T4 (Levothyroxine/Synthroid) should be the first choice as it forces your natural thyroid to convert it into the active of T3, thus keeping your thyroid "alive." However, when it doesn't work (in cases of Reverse T3 dominance or when someone has their thyroid removed, etc.), you revert to using T3 because that's what you HAVE to do. It's not the first choice, but you have to do what works.

So that's why doctors are shy to suggest T3; it's understandable. However, they need to be open to it in cases where T4 isn't working.

My endocrinologist had me on 112mcg/day of T4 at a max and said that was about the most one could take without killing off natural thyroid production, so you may want to inquire about that with a dose of 150. My endo could be completely off, but it's worth asking about.

But yeah, you definitely want to know your numbers and understand it yourself. If I didn't do that, I'd still be on 50mcg of Synthroid right now. Granted I still weigh 244 lbs, but I'm closer to being able to lose it now than I would have been if I didn't bust it on my own and expected the doctor to know best lol.

Wow. This thread keeps getting better, thanks for sharing some great info.

Question(sorry if it was asked) any thoughts on PES shift (3,3), anyone with a "true" problem thinking about trying it, any body think it will make a diff.
I love the concept of these products, but I would think that for someone on synthetic thyroid medication it would be a negligible difference. I could be completely wrong, though. Like Makaveli says, the blood work would be what would let us know. And if it does help, then that's a gold mine.

But in theory (to me), one on synthetic thyroid hormone should be able to manipulate their thyroid to perform at the level they specifically want.

Well, its basically t2 as far as i know. Not much is ever really written on t2, the only two thyroid hormones ever mentioned are the obvious t3 and t4. There is actually a really really great sticky over in the anabolics section, i believe its in the cycle info section. Im on my cell so i cant check and link u right now, but it gives an overview of t3 and actually goes into quite a bit of detail on t2 as well and how the two compare.

Now that you mention it that would seem like a great sponsored log for pes to do with someone where they get bloods done pre shift or alpha t2 and then get a thyroid panel done again 4 to 6 weeks or what have u in, and see the effect it had on their numbers. Id certainly be curious...
Certainly worth entertaining.

sapentia

sapentia

Awards
Update:

Went to my new doctor yesterday who is alternative in his thinking and approaches. He spent 1 1/2hrs. with me talking through things, very thorough and a very good listener. He was quite displeased with the mentality of my initial physician who advocated T4 only therapy and disregarded all labs but the TSH. He is starting me on dessicated thyroid (Nature's) at 1/2 grain for 10 days, then up to 1 grain, then up to 1 1/2 grains which he thinks will be my sweet spot. I will keep taking 25 mcg of the levothyroxine and may or may not discontinue that in the future. The idea is that I work up to a dose were I feel good without any hypo symptoms. If I go up and hit a dose where I start to have some hyper. symptoms then I drop back to the lower dose. In this way I will figure out my ideal dosing.

He also is running some other blood work. He is getting the reverse T3 and thyroid antibodies that I failed to get before as well as hair analysis, urine analysis, organic acids analysis (via blood), and a few other tests. He said I some indications that could possibly reflect heavy metal poisoning. I couldn't help but think of all the supps. I take that could have Chinese sources and may possibly have too high of lead content etc. I will get all of that testing back in 6 weeks or so when I go to see him again. He also thought I might have a B12 deficiency even though I already supplement B12 via sublingual tabs. He had a B12 test run too and gave me a B12 shot. Told me if I noticed a energy/mental boost over the next couple days that he would call in a scrip. for weekly B12 injections which I can do at home.

Oh yeah, he had me go get an ultrasound of my thyroid too as he felt some minor enlargement and just wanted to cover all the bases; fortunately that didn't show anything negative, just a slight enlargement.

All in all I felt very good coming out of yesterday and for once have confidence in my doctor which is a welcome relief. I will update as to whether or not I start to feel any improvement from the dessicated thyroid/B12 treatment. Thusfar I have been on the T4 for 1 1/2 weeks and haven't noticed any big changes with regard to my symptoms so I am really hoping this upgraded protocol will start to have an effect.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Went to my new doctor yesterday who is alternative in his thinking and approaches. He spent 1 1/2hrs. with me talking through things, very thorough and a very good listener. He was quite displeased with the mentality of my initial physician who advocated T4 only therapy and disregarded all labs but the TSH. He is starting me on dessicated thyroid (Nature's) at 1/2 grain for 10 days, then up to 1 grain, then up to 1 1/2 grains which he thinks will be my sweet spot. I will keep taking 25 mcg of the levothyroxine and may or may not discontinue that in the future. The idea is that I work up to a dose were I feel good without any hypo symptoms. If I go up and hit a dose where I start to have some hyper. symptoms then I drop back to the lower dose. In this way I will figure out my ideal dosing.

He also is running some other blood work. He is getting the reverse T3 and thyroid antibodies that I failed to get before as well as hair analysis, urine analysis, organic acids analysis (via blood), and a few other tests. He said I some indications that could possibly reflect heavy metal poisoning. I couldn't help but think of all the supps. I take that could have Chinese sources and may possibly have too high of lead content etc. I will get all of that testing back in 6 weeks or so when I go to see him again. He also thought I might have a B12 deficiency even though I already supplement B12 via sublingual tabs. He had a B12 test run too and gave me a B12 shot. Told me if I noticed a energy/mental boost over the next couple days that he would call in a scrip. for weekly B12 injections which I can do at home.

Oh yeah, he had me go get an ultrasound of my thyroid too as he felt some minor enlargement and just wanted to cover all the bases; fortunately that didn't show anything negative, just a slight enlargement.

All in all I felt very good coming out of yesterday and for once have confidence in my doctor which is a welcome relief. I will update as to whether or not I start to feel any improvement from the dessicated thyroid/B12 treatment. Thusfar I have been on the T4 for 1 1/2 weeks and haven't noticed any big changes with regard to my symptoms so I am really hoping this upgraded protocol will start to have an effect.
I'm glad to hear everything is working out well for you, man. It sounds like you found a good doc. Definitely keep us updated, and if you don't mind, ask him if he has any colleagues he'd recommend in the Louisville, KY area (doubtful, but worth me asking you lol).

dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

Awards
I have slight hyperthyroidism and VA doctors wants to abate (kill) part of my thyroid and give me pills to fix it. Some people who knows please respond

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
wow, wish I had that "problem" Is it severe enough that you look malnutritioned? Unless that is the case, or not being able to put on weight really really....really bothers you I'm not sure I would do anything personally.

The most widely used treatment is radioactive iodine treatment. It kills off a percentage of the thyroid cells that absorb iodine. There are of course also pills you can take, methimazole and propylthiouracil both interfere with the thyroid and work to suppress it in hyper patients.