Just started T4 @ 50mcg/day in a.m. after a second FT4 reading came in even lower @ 0.56 (ref range 0.82-1.77) than from the June reading. It's never been this low. At first, I believed it to be from taking T3, but now my hunch is it's from eating VLC paleo/keto as I adjust my calories (need more from fat to make up loss from carbs!) - or perhaps both. FT3 was also slightly low (I have been on 100 mcg T3 [75mcg sustained-release T3 + 25mcg Cynomel]). Another possibility: carnitine supplementation.
I am on day 4 and am just now starting to crash with evening fatigue, wanting to lie down against my will. If I resist the fatigue, I "un-crash and reset" in about an hour.
Is this a normal "adjustment" reaction, as I did not notice this from when starting T3?
Should I try cutting the dose in half to 25mcg (this is why my doc doesn't always advocate natural thyroid like Armour, as you can't adjust the T3 or T4)?
I have never tried T4 before and thought this was a prime time to give it a shot and see. My biggest fear was that T4 would shunt to start boosting my rT3 levels which is why we stuck with T3 only.
Other relevant readings:
- rT3 was @14.7 (ref range 13.5-34.2)
- TSH @1.63.
- preg is low @ 43 (I cannot tolerate oral preg any longer). I will be trying Dr. John's OTC TD preg cream.
- a.m. serum cortisol is 12.7 (am waiting to get my 4x's saliva cort in)
- homocysteine increased from 7 to 9.2 despite my heavy methylation support for my MTHFR C677T genetic mutation
- TPO AB and TgAb are both low normal
- SHBG is elevated @61.4 (my guess: from taking T3)
- Prog is high normal @ 1.4
- E2 is low normal @ 8
- Lipid profiles have improved significantly from June labs which I will report on separately
- Plasma Renin Activity & Aldosterone is LOW @ 0.55 (ref range 1.31-3.95) and Aldosterone is also low @ 3.4 (ref range 0.0-30.0) though my BP runs high, not low.