The Official Hypothyroidism Thread

Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
  1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.47%

I just read above that you have already had an MRI showing no macroadenoma (big tumor), but as beast said above, it is entirely possible you have a microadenoma (small tumor), which is much easier to deal with.
    My parents created my body, in which I create my mind. I will honor them, by developing both to their utmost potential.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"  135 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.72%

i go to see the endocrinologist in a week or so. i will ask about a smaller mass that may not have been seen. any supps that i could have taken that could play w prolactin?
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.47%

Of the top of my head D-Aspartic Acid and Agmatine can both raise prolactin. I'm sure there are many more. Do you have a list of what you have been on?
    My parents created my body, in which I create my mind. I will honor them, by developing both to their utmost potential.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"  135 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.72%

currently: womens multivit, half a dexaprine a day (new version) vitamin C and D, tyrosine, calcium, magnesium, glucosamine, green tea extract, trib test, zma, l carnatine and kelp

in the past: l-dopa, abliderate advanced, lean xtreme
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.87%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity Veteran

Depending on how long and dosing, l dopa could have affected pituitary hormones.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"  135 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.72%

ok another thing i will bring up at appointment. took it for a while yrs back. prob about 5-6 yrs ago then recently 2 bottles of the NOW brand always dosed according to bottle. stopped taking it for the month between bloodwork. long term effect?
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.47%

Quote Originally Posted by GIJane1928 View Post
    ok another thing i will bring up at appointment. took it for a while yrs back. prob about 5-6 yrs ago then recently 2 bottles of the NOW brand always dosed according to bottle. stopped taking it for the month between bloodwork. long term effect?
    It's possible that there was a rebound effect with the l-dopa. If your dopamine levels were increased during l-dopa administration that would have a suppressive effect on prolactin which could set the regular checks and balances out of whack to some degree which would then lead to a slight rebound jump in prolactin once you discontinued the suppressive l-dopa. In which case I would think that it would just be a simple game of waiting for your endocrine system to balance out. I'm just spit-balling, that's something you'd want to ask your doc about.

I would never claim that these are proof of what's happening with you, but it lends some weight to the possibility.

http://www.biolreprod.org/content/13...eprod;13/2/223

http://www.researchgate.net/publicat...n_normal_women
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"  135 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.72%

thanks i will read more about that. i would be surprised if the lasting effects are from years ago though. although i did not see the bloodwork, the dr didnt indicate that the prolactin levels improved at all w the cease of l-dopa supplementation over the month.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.32%

Just recently diagnosed with hypo myself. I've had several high TSH readings 5.5, 4.9 and finally 7.5. After the last reading, my doc put me on 50mcg of levothyroxin and, so far, I'm feeling pretty good. Since starting the main thing I've noticed is the increased energy. Normally I was very tired in the middle of the day and had to take a nap (usually 2 hours ) to get by. Now I'm good to go for the whole day. I've never really had much trouble with weight gain but my energy has definitely been on the decline particularly the last couple of years. So far, no weight loss, actually I've gained a couple of pounds as my appetite is through the roof right now. Might be a good time for another bulk

Got a couple of questions. What supplements would be contraindicated with this condition? Iodine, which I saw discussed earlier, makes my condition worse so that's definitely something I have to steer clear off. Any others? I'm currently supplementing with Beta Alanine, Vit D3, fish oil, green tea, gingko (once or twice a week) and cit malate (pre workout only). Also use DAA and Erase. These ok?

Does this condition affect your joints? I'm always kinda achy (knees, back, elbows and now right shoulder). Interestingly, Cissus made my joints hurt worse and, of course, Erase made me feel like I was 90.

I was thinking of adding a preworkout (Jacked Micro, Condense, C4, White Flood) and a fat burning aid (TTA) . Any recommendations?

Good thread and thanks in advance for responses.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.47%

Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun1 View Post
    Just recently diagnosed with hypo myself. I've had several high TSH readings 5.5, 4.9 and finally 7.5. After the last reading, my doc put me on 50mcg of levothyroxin and, so far, I'm feeling pretty good. Since starting the main thing I've noticed is the increased energy. Normally I was very tired in the middle of the day and had to take a nap (usually 2 hours ) to get by. Now I'm good to go for the whole day. I've never really had much trouble with weight gain but my energy has definitely been on the decline particularly the last couple of years. So far, no weight loss, actually I've gained a couple of pounds as my appetite is through the roof right now. Might be a good time for another bulk

Got a couple of questions. What supplements would be contraindicated with this condition? Iodine, which I saw discussed earlier, makes my condition worse so that's definitely something I have to steer clear off. Any others? I'm currently supplementing with Beta Alanine, Vit D3, fish oil, green tea, gingko (once or twice a week) and cit malate (pre workout only). Also use DAA and Erase. These ok?

Does this condition affect your joints? I'm always kinda achy (knees, back, elbows and now right shoulder). Interestingly, Cissus made my joints hurt worse and, of course, Erase made me feel like I was 90.

I was thinking of adding a preworkout (Jacked Micro, Condense, C4, White Flood) and a fat burning aid (TTA) . Any recommendations?

Good thread and thanks in advance for responses.
    Your doc sounds like a mainstream one that has no clue on thyroid. Be careful with T4 (levo) only as T4 only can make things worse in the long run. 99% of docs including endos know sh*t about treating hypo. You really should be on a natural dessicated T3/T4 combo (i.e. Armour) or like in my case, T3 and T4 separately, so I can regulate the dose. And you need a FULL thyroid panel, not just TSH, which is only a basic indication of thyroid function and a poor one at that. Very important to also test for FT3, FT4, rT3, TPO, TgAb at the minimum. That will tell you whether you have Hashi's autoimmune also in which iodine may be contraindicated. You may do well in the short run and then worsen because in a LOT of people including myself, T4 doesn't get converted to T3 which is why T3 monotherapy is mandatory. Mainstream docs are clueless on this.

If you want to get more educated, I suggest read up on this excellent site: stopthethyroidmadness.com
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.32%

Quote Originally Posted by mcs5309 View Post
    Your doc sounds like a mainstream one that has no clue on thyroid. Be careful with T4 (levo) only as T4 only can make things worse in the long run. 99% of docs including endos know sh*t about treating hypo. You really should be on a natural dessicated T3/T4 combo (i.e. Armour) or like in my case, T3 and T4 separately, so I can regulate the dose. And you need a FULL thyroid panel, not just TSH, which is only a basic indication of thyroid function and a poor one at that. Very important to also test for FT3, FT4, rT3, TPO, TgAb at the minimum. That will tell you whether you have Hashi's autoimmune also in which iodine may be contraindicated. You may do well in the short run and then worsen because in a LOT of people including myself, T4 doesn't get converted to T3 which is why T3 monotherapy is mandatory. Mainstream docs are clueless on this.

If you want to get more educated, I suggest read up on this excellent site: stopthethyroidmadness.com
    Thanks for the info. Doc looked at other measures and they all looked good but will request blood results and look myself.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.47%

Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun1 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Doc looked at other measures and they all looked good but will request blood results and look myself.
    Yeah, when you get the results, please post. I'd like to see them myself.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.32%

Will do.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"  135 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.72%

went to dr. thyroid function back down to 3.4 but prolactin still around 27-28. she old me estrogrn is low but is attributing it to my training. i think im going to seek out a second opinion. there is nothing on my staple supps list to continue elevated prolactin
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.47%

went to dr. thyroid function back down to 3.4 but prolactin still around 27-28. she old me estrogrn is low but is attributing it to my training. i think im going to seek out a second opinion. there is nothing on my staple supps list to continue elevated prolactin
    Is she saying that your training is the cause of the low estrogen or the high prolactin?
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"  135 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.72%

The low estrogen. I'm going to try to schedule to see a different doctor. The woman I saw knew nothing about the lifestyle I lead and kept asking me why I train so much. Not really sure why it mattered to her... she just seemed more focused on that. She didn't know much about supplements for the lifestyle either. I trust her but a friend referred me to someone who is more familiar with these types of things.
  17. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.45%

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast
    Well, first of all, I don't think this necessarily belongs in the "weight loss" section, but I think this is as good of a fit as any of the options. If you're anything like me, this is one of the nastiest things accompanying hypothyroidism.

I had done some searching in the forums and there are plenty of threads asking about thyroid drugs and screwed up thyroids (a lot of, if not most of, the threads are inquiring about the potential of creating hypothyroidism due to abuse of T3), but not one thread came up specifically on hypothyroidism. The idea to start this thread came to me after Kleen set up his thread on Intermittent Fasting -- something totally unrelated, but a thread that brought together a lot of great minds, experiences and discussion. I'm hoping this will do the same.

For those who haven't read any posts from me, I'll include a shortened version of my story (feel free to read over / skip this part ).

I've always had trouble losing weight, but always assumed it was something I wasn't doing right. So, I ran more. Then, when that wasn't doing what I wanted, I researched training and perfected my weight-training. Then, when that wasn't doing it, I researched nutrition for quite some time and really put a lot of time and effort into my diet and seemingly perfected that. All that time, I was able to lose fat, but it was like pulling teeth and it was at really low calories for someone of my age, size and activity level.

My whole life, I'd been trying to lose weight the entire time I was lifting (so think of the 10 years I was lifting weights, I was simultaneously trying to lose fat; that was the more important goal the entire time). In April / May of last 2010, I got into arguably the best shape of my life and was pretty ripped and cut up at 208 lbs (all natural, too). I went a full month without even one cheat meal during the final push of that (dropping 6.4 lbs and increasing all of my lifts). I treated myself to a splurge day after that and then got back on the horse of a clean diet, though not as strict as that one month was (just normal lifestyle, not like contest prep, but certainly clean).

I managed to get back up to ~220 lbs in a very short amount of time. I was so frustrated and disappointed; back to square one without even really screwing up. At that point, a friend asked me how long I'd been cutting - when he knew it was that strict for those several months on top of all the years, he said your body probably needs a break and you should try switching it up to bulk for a while. I thought that sounded reasonable and thought, "sure, I'll finally add some nice mass and then get back to cutting."

In about 6 weeks I'd added 24 lbs. I was only eating about 3,500 cals/day (mostly clean) and working out regularly, to boot. While I added some good size, I also added a LOT of fat. I wanted to turn back after about 2 weeks of this, seeing my waist line grow, but everyone said that you just focus on growing during a bulk and then worry about cutting when you cut. Well, for normal people, I suppose that's fine. I ended up at about 244 lbs and thought to myself how badly I needed to cut, so I got back to it. I even tried my first PH to help with the process (Epi bridged into H-drol) and it didn't help in my venture, either.

At the start of 2011, I had a hardcore new year cut mapped out and was a few days in before my weight started slowly going up by about a pound every other day with calories ranging from 2,000 to 2,400 while lifting 5 days a week, doing cardio every morning and a 2nd cardio session on my 2 off days.

I finally said to myself that I can't do anything else to help this. It's clearly something out of my control.

I had a full hormonal panel done on January 21st. On February 1st I got my results and saw I have hypothyroidism. My TSH was 5.67.

All this time, I thought I was doing things wrong, but my body was just battling me. All of those years I was busting and busting my back, I could have just addressed my under-active thyroid and who knows where I'd be now.

Now here's the thing; I'm a firm believer in everything happening for a reason. So, there's a reason my life has taken this path. There's something for me to learn from it and I can tell you that I sure know a ton more about nutrition and training than I ever thought I would. And who knows? Maybe part of this experience was that I could help someone else avoid all of the heartache that I've experienced.

I was on 50mcg of T4 for 6 weeks, which brought my TSH down to 3.69, but I lost no weight during that time. An endocrinologist has since bumped me up to 112mcg/day. I've been on that for just past 3 weeks now, and haven't noticed anything yet, either, but I'm still hopeful. I'll go in in the beginning of June for more blood work and then a followup appointment with the endo.

Until then, I'm just doing what I can, working out hard, eating right and doing a lot of praying.

So, this first post ended up being more about my story than anything else, but I plan on adding a lot of quality information and articles to this and I hope you'll do the same. I'll go back to edit a few posts on some specifics of this.

Let's hear from all of you who suffer from hypothyroidism just like me. Share your story. Share your thoughts. Share whatever you feel comfortable sharing with the rest of us. Let's make this a support group as well as an area to find a plethora of information.
    Subscribed
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.47%

The low estrogen. I'm going to try to schedule to see a different doctor. The woman I saw knew nothing about the lifestyle I lead and kept asking me why I train so much. Not really sure why it mattered to her... she just seemed more focused on that. She didn't know much about supplements for the lifestyle either. I trust her but a friend referred me to someone who is more familiar with these types of things.
    HAHA! Man, some doc's are hilarious with that. You know the average MD gets about 2-4 hours of nutritional training int their entire medical education? What a joke. And the ones who don't understand exercise physiology or why it's good for you are even better.

Good luck with the new doc.

Are you very lean?

To me that may make sense as to why your estrogen is low. I've read that some female athletes that compete at high levels like the Olympics can reach a point of fitness where they start to lose their breast and accompanying fat, leading to somewhat skewed estrogen etc.
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.47%

If you're interested.

The effects of intense exercise on the female reproductive system
    http://joe.endocrinology-journals.or...0/1/3.full.pdf

Similar Forum Threads

1. Official UFC 106 Pick'em Thread
    By sonofsteven in forum MMA
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-26-2009, 05:07 AM
  2. The OFFICIAL SX Review Thread!!
    By T-AD in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-15-2009, 01:55 PM
  3. Official LOLCAT Thread
    By CryingEmo in forum General Chat
    Replies: 29