The Official Hypothyroidism Thread

Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last

  1. So when they abate they just kill the part that absorbs iodine. Not malnurshed at 6'2" and 217#. My BF is higher than I like though


  2. ....I think you need a new doc.
    •   
       


  3. It is a VA doctor

  4. you'll know when you see someone who has hyperthyroidism enough to warrant treatment, they look anorexic. I went to high school with a girl who had it, and she was about 70 pounds soaking wet.

    No 217 pound guy who has a higher bf than he would like should be treated for hyperthyroidism IMO, and if ur bf is higher than you would like why in the world would you be entertaining hyperthyroidism treatment?? I guess I'm a little confused, and I think your doc is too.

  5. I went for yearly blood work. The doc sent me to endocrinolist and they told me that. I do not trust them entirely
    •   
       

  6. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwarrior View Post
    I have slight hyperthyroidism and VA doctors wants to abate (kill) part of my thyroid and give me pills to fix it. Some people who knows please respond
    Do you mean hypo-thyroidism?

    - Hypo-thyroidism = thyroid is working less than functional; e.g. you have slow to no metabolism and can be overweight or obese
    - Hyper-thyroidism = thyroid is working too much; e.g. you will be nothing but skin and bones because your metabolism is too high, so you can't keep on any weight (muscle OR fat)
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Representative | [email protected] | Inspire to Evolve

  7. Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    Do you mean hypo-thyroidism?

    - Hypo-thyroidism = thyroid is working less than functional; e.g. you have slow to no metabolism and can be overweight or obese
    - Hyper-thyroidism = thyroid is working too much; e.g. you will be nothing but skin and bones because your metabolism is too high, so you can't keep on any weight (muscle OR fat)
    lol, just dawned on me he might have mixed the two up beast. Though the mention of killing off part of the thyroid is certainly not consistent with anything related to treating hypo.

  8. TSH 0.010 Free THYOXIN 1.9
  9. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon View Post
    lol, just dawned on me he might have mixed the two up beast. Though the mention of killing off part of the thyroid is certainly not consistent with anything related to treating hypo.
    Yeah.

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwarrior View Post
    TSH 0.010 Free THYOXIN 1.9
    Are you on any medication? If those are baseline numbers, that's certainly screaming "hyperthyroidism" but being overweight doesn't seem to come along with that unless you're looking at a secondary set of problems like undiagnosed/untreated diabetes or something else.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Representative | [email protected] | Inspire to Evolve

  10. Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    Yeah.



    Are you on any medication? If those are baseline numbers, that's certainly screaming "hyperthyroidism" but being overweight doesn't seem to come along with that unless you're looking at a secondary set of problems like undiagnosed/untreated diabetes or something else.
    right, right. Certainly could have been taking something that was artificially suppressing tsh. If that's not the case, then there is certainly a secondary condition with one of the hormones produced by the pituitary, such as cortisol. I guess what blows my mind is that the doc could read the numbers, take one look at him, and NOT think there is a secondary problem and just go right to killing his thyroid, lol. That's not how you treat someone.

  11. I will let them do further test but nothing drastic until I understand every thing No diabetis though

    If I take something to lower cortisol would that help?
  12. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon View Post
    right, right. Certainly could have been taking something that was artificially suppressing tsh. If that's not the case, then there is certainly a secondary condition with one of the hormones produced by the pituitary, such as cortisol. I guess what blows my mind is that the doc could read the numbers, take one look at him, and NOT think there is a secondary problem and just go right to killing his thyroid, lol. That's not how you treat someone.
    Exactly, man.

    I know plenty of docs who rely too heavily on numbers, but this just baffles me. Although, I'll say from what I've heard, the VA can be a tough situation to deal with. I'd certainly hope it's not THAT bad, though.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Representative | [email protected] | Inspire to Evolve

  13. Is there any health risks to the levels as they are now
  14. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwarrior View Post
    I will let them do further test but nothing drastic until I understand every thing No diabetis though

    If I take something to lower cortisol would that help?
    I honestly don't want to suggest anything given the uniqueness of this situation. In theory, it could benefit, but we have no idea what your cortisol levels are.

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwarrior View Post
    Is there any health risks to the levels as they are now
    The TSH being that low is definitely out of the ordinary and I wouldn't want it there, but then again, TSH isn't all that great of an indicator of thyroid activity as much as some think.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Representative | [email protected] | Inspire to Evolve

  15. You mention cortisol levels. What does that do?
  16. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwarrior View Post
    You mention cortisol levels. What does that do?
    I hate using wikipedia as a reference, but to save me from typing this all out:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Representative | [email protected] | Inspire to Evolve

  17. You guys are pretty smart. I did look up the connection between thyroid function and cortisol levels. I have more to study.
  18. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwarrior View Post
    You guys are pretty smart. I did look up the connection between thyroid function and cortisol levels. I have more to study.
    Makaveli and myself just have done extensive studying in this area for our own gain and we happened to learn a bit along the way, haha. There is certainly a connection and you're right, you've got a lot to study - even now, I'm still learning and reading a lot more.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Representative | [email protected] | Inspire to Evolve

  19. Well before I let the doctor that is not reverseable I will do some more study on my own.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by RoadBlocK View Post
    Wow. This thread keeps getting better, thanks for sharing some great info.

    Question(sorry if it was asked) any thoughts on PES shift (3,3), anyone with a "true" problem thinking about trying it, any body think it will make a diff.
    did you have a "true" problem with thyroids too?

  21. Quote Originally Posted by dirtwarrior View Post
    So when they abate they just kill the part that absorbs iodine. Not malnurshed at 6'2" and 217#. My BF is higher than I like though
    did you check your Test and E levels?

  22. They did not check my E and T levels this time. Bloodwork getting redone in Aug though

  23. Quote Originally Posted by dirtwarrior View Post
    They did not check my E and T levels this time. Bloodwork getting redone in Aug though
    do you have any LOW blood sugar issues?

  24. Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    I'm glad to hear everything is working out well for you, man. It sounds like you found a good doc. Definitely keep us updated, and if you don't mind, ask him if he has any colleagues he'd recommend in the Louisville, KY area (doubtful, but worth me asking you lol).
    I will ask him when I go back the end of August for my follow up appointment. It's definitely a big relief having someone I trust and feel comfortable with; I did have to drive an hour and a half to go to him, but it was worth it.
  25. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Bump for updated links on Wilson's Syndrome/RT3 dominance on Page 1
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Representative | [email protected] | Inspire to Evolve
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Official UFC 106 Pick'em Thread
    By sonofsteven in forum MMA
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-26-2009, 05:07 AM
  2. The OFFICIAL SX Review Thread!!
    By T-AD in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-15-2009, 01:55 PM
  3. Official LOLCAT Thread
    By CryingEmo in forum General Chat
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-18-2008, 08:40 PM
  4. The Official Plasma vs. LCD thread!
    By LakeMountD in forum General Chat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-16-2007, 04:48 PM
  5. Official NFL Football Thread
    By jweave23 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 04:15 PM
Log in
Log in