What kind of diet is this?

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Hi,

Quick summary of me:
Training for 10km running both track and road racing.
Train v02 with intervals, speed play and fartlek work as well as recovery runs 5-6 days a week for a minimum of 40 minutes a day. Usually fasted (early AM due to work and University) and use an MCT as my energy source (tbsp cocnut oil 30mins before training, 30minutes after dosing Cordygen v02 ultra by MST(best product!!!)
2x core strengthening sessions a week (30mins solid core work for improving running efficiency and stride length and flexibility)

What would you call this diet?how can i improve it? I am trying to increase my body's ability to utilize fat as its preferred energy source to retain carbs for mental concentration.

6am: Cardio(with MCT's)
6:45am: BREAKFAST: 1/2 cup (dry basis) wholerain oatmeal, with 30g mixed Blueberries and rasbberries, tbsp LSA and 12 almonds, .5 scoop of hydroflow xp3 wpi (but will be switching to a grass fed wpi next week)
2 whole eggs and 4 egg whites scrambled with handful of baby spinach and kale

9:30am- Green apple
1/2 cup of trail mix (sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, shredded cocnut and dried unsweetened cranberries with no addidtives or preservatives)(all is organic)

12:30pm- 150g (after cooked weight) grilled chicken breast or turkey breast

-8 ounces of mixed salad greens(tomato,red onion, sun dried tomatoes,capsicum,mushrooms,bean shoots)

-1.5tbsp of cold pressed olive oil and 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegarette, dash of lemon and
-1/2 avacado
- 30g(dry basis) boiled quinoa mixed through salad

4pm: 150g full fat jalna greek yogurt
- 30g mixed berries
-hadful of almonds and pecans and walnuts (combined size whole serving of nuts = handful)
- 1tablespoon organic manuka honey

7pm:
- 120g cooked weight Alaskan Salmon
- 1/2 avacado
-100g steamed brocolli
-6 asapargus spears steamed
- 3 or 4 buk choy leaves steamed
- 1 tsbp of cold pressed Flaxseed oil

I am trying to burn more fats for energy as stated before(about me section) and want to lose last little bit of excess around belly button (can't spot reduce but diet is very clean and unsure what to do).
I am not afraid of saturated fats as they are good for us for many reasons hence why i have full fat natural greek yogurt ( less additives and natural)

Thanks in advance

EddyRay

EddyRay

Awards
Hi,
Train v02 with intervals, speed play and fartlek work as well as recovery runs 5-6 days a week for a minimum of 40 minutes a day.
Farlek and speedplay are the same thing.
Usually fasted (early AM due to work and University)
Why fasted? Please tell me you don't buy into the whole fasted cardio equating to better fat loss myth?

What would you call this diet?how can i improve it? I am trying to increase my body's ability to utilize fat as its preferred energy source to retain carbs for mental concentration.
There is no such thing as burning fat as a main energy source. Your body needs carbs to burn fat. If fat loss is your focus, you need to operate at 60-70% of your Maximum Heart Rate. (220 - Age = MHR). To use this to its full effect it must be performed for an hour.
Advantage: Your body burns fat most efficiently in this state.
Disadvantage: It takes 20 minutes to start oxidizing fat in this state.

You'd be better off doing sprints followed by a constant pace of 65% MHR. And you're a runner, so you must own a heart rate monitor.

I think the reason you're not burning fat is because you're not giving your body the means to do so. Your primary energy source will be muscle tissue as it is more easily broken down into energy than fat is. And guess what, the more muscle you burn, the less calories your body will use at rest. This is a certain disadvantage where your goals are concerned, no? Carbs / Glycogen = Fire, Fat = Gas.
Gas doesn't burn without fire.

Your diet is good, honestly. Just do yourself a favour and don't buy into this fasted cardio bullcrap. No offense intended, just hate seeing people make these counterintuitive mistakes.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Appreciated post.
I just don't handle running well after food and I have time constructions. If I was to have food before I ran, at 5:30am what is readily useable to burn as energy?green apple?
I own a garmin hr monitor.
Example of interval training is:
2 mins zone 1 (130-140bpm)
2mins zone 2 (140-150bpm)
5mins zone 3(150-167bpm)
1min zone 4 (167-180)
1min zone 5 (180-195)
Repeat 4 times then a zone 1 cool down for 3mins
my max hr is suppose to be 199 but my v02 results showed I only got up to 195bpm

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Constraints*** not constructions bloody iPhone dictionary!!!

EddyRay

EddyRay

Awards
Hahah, gotta love the autocompletion function. :D

I think your training routine is really solid, just like your diet. How long have you followed these in conjunction with each other? I'm quite sure the issue is with the carb deficit. So many bodybuilders do the same thing, I never understood why they'd contradict the basics of physiology for the sake of bro science. I've made this mistake before as well, did a lot more harm than good.

Now I understand that your concern is eating so soon before running. Agreed, it's not pleasant. Nausea and stiches. Fruit would be a good choice, but make sure it provides equal fructose to glucose. Such as these:
TOTAL SUGAR / FRUCTOSE / GLUCOSE
Pineapple (1 cup diced) 13 / 7 / 6
Honeydew melon (1 wedge) 13 / 7 / 6
Orange (1 medium) 12 / 6 / 6
Banana (1 medium) 18 / 9 / 9
Blueberries (1 cup) 14 / 7 / 7
Nectarine (1 medium) 10 / 5 / 5
Kiwi fruit (2 medium) 12 / 6 / 6
Grapefruit (1 Medium) 6 / 3 / 3

Eat 1 or 2 servings. Grapefruit actually helps your body burn fat as well, I remember when I was losing weight I'd eat two grapefruit every morning, followed by whitewine vinegar in distilled water. This really helped me to be honest, although others may dismiss it and say, "Who's talking bro-science now?"

To be honest with you though mate I really think there is no substitution for complex carbohydrates. Oats + wholegrains. You're seriously on the right track with diet and training but I think the best solution for you is to wake up a bit earlier and get a proper meal in you half an hour or so before hitting the tarmac.

Sidenote: Heard of L-Carnitine? If not, look it up. I think you'll be interested to see what supplementation with this amino can do for you.

I hope this has been somewhat of a help.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
i have ALCAR at my disposal. I feel nw, being 4:40am, i am going to have a green apple and small piece of a banana and a bcaa+eaa drink (rpg by MST).
maybe you can also help me with timing then.
if u have any knowledge of MST product line i have cre-02, v02 ultra, carnage, shred ultra and beta alanine and RPG as my arsenal.
how would i dose this if i run at 5:45am and need food? lol

toughie...but how do i give rep points(if i can) because this has been most insightful...in Australia we refer to ppl like you as a good bloke

EddyRay

EddyRay

Awards
i have ALCAR at my disposal. I feel nw, being 4:40am, i am going to have a green apple and small piece of a banana and a bcaa+eaa drink (rpg by MST).
maybe you can also help me with timing then.
if u have any knowledge of MST product line i have cre-02, v02 ultra, carnage, shred ultra and beta alanine and RPG as my arsenal.
how would i dose this if i run at 5:45am and need food? lol

toughie...but how do i give rep points(if i can) because this has been most insightful...in Australia we refer to ppl like you as a good bloke
I'm sorry mate, but I'm not at all familiar with MST. If you're drinking your EAA drink, I'd say do it immediately after training. I only ever take my amino's immediately after my workouts or directly before bed, or if I wake up in the middle of the night and need some quickly absorbable muscle fuel. As for the cre-02, I would also take that after your workout. The EAA and creatine would actually be a good combo for afterwards. I couldn't find much info about the other products you mentioned, but fat burners (i.e. your shred dosage) is usually taken 20 minutes before eating so it can start to absorb before your food. Where Beta-Alanine is concerned, I'm only familiar with its pump-improving qualities. I'm not sure how it would benefit a runner such as yourself... But it will improve circulation, so I'd say take it with your Shred.

Before: Shred, Carnage, Beta-Alanine
After: Cre-02, Rampage.

That stuff seems pretty top notch, may have to invest in some myself!

Haha, "good bloke" is used over here in England as well, mate... That's right, I'm a filthy pommy. You can award REP points by clicking that little arrow looking thing next to the ONLINE/OFFLINE icon.

I'm glad I was of some help to you, matey. Sorry I couldn't help more, but you should be on the right track now. Good luck, let me know how you get on.

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
from wiki:

When glycogen stores are not available in the cells, fat (triacylglycerol) is cleaved to give 3 fatty acid chains and 1 glycerol molecule in a process called lipolysis. Most of the body is able to use fatty acids as an alternative source of energy in a process called beta-oxidation.

http://books.google.com/books?id=JtCZBe-2XVIC&pg=PA32&lpg=PA32&dq=what+is+ketosis+by+lyle+mcdonald&source=bl&ots=dNINc4xSGE&sig=VCQefPJpOEysp7hXakdHhL-RpiU&hl=en&ei=BVbATYe_BOL00gG3s6WkBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CFMQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
1x banana
1tbsp coconut oil
1x glutamine down the hatch at 5:20 am
running soon...
will let you know how i go

EddyRay

EddyRay

Awards
from wiki:

When glycogen stores are not available in the cells, fat (triacylglycerol) is cleaved to give 3 fatty acid chains and 1 glycerol molecule in a process called lipolysis. Most of the body is able to use fatty acids as an alternative source of energy in a process called beta-oxidation.

http://books.google.com/books?id=JtCZBe-2XVIC&pg=PA32&lpg=PA32&dq=what+is+ketosis+by+lyle+mcdonald&source=bl&ots=dNINc4xSGE&sig=VCQefPJpOEysp7hXakdHhL-RpiU&hl=en&ei=BVbATYe_BOL00gG3s6WkBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CFMQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q&f=false
Good post, but I was always told that instead of fat=glycogen during lipolysis it's muscle≥fat.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Ok can someone break this down for me.I'm very lost

EddyRay

EddyRay

Awards
Ok can someone break this down for me.I'm very lost
He's right in what he is saying, but basically it works like this.

Unless you have an adequate surplus of glycogen (stored carbohydrate) your body will burn muscle as it's primary source of fuel. Correct, lypolysis (fat burning) will also occur, but this is hardly a tempting trade off when it burns muscle to equal or greater extent. Our man over here is right in what he is saying, but fasted cardio needs to be made a concept of the past. I'm not an expert, but I have been trained as a PT. One of my classmates asked about fasted cardio and our lecturer went into lengthly discussion about how it should never be done. I don't remember the specifics to be perfectly honest, but the bottom line is that it isn't recommended.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
I have gotten smaller due to catabolism...I want to increase glucagon and fat oxidation without burning muscle. Glutamine pre w/o as well?

EddyRay

EddyRay

Awards
from wiki:

Max, help us out if you have anything to add or any valuable arguments. I want to steer my buddy here in the right direction, I don't want him to think I was just talking a load of sh*te.

EddyRay

EddyRay

Awards
I have gotten smaller due to catabolism...I want to increase glucagon and fat oxidation without burning muscle. Glutamine pre w/o as well?
I think you might be leaning on your supplement stack a bit too much there. I honestly don't think taking the glutamine before a run will resolve your catabolism issues. As I said before, the only thing that will help where that is concerned will be an adequate supply of carbohydrates before a run.

Please be aware, I'm not criticising you, you should have seen what my supplement stack looked like before... My wardrobe was like a bloody chemist, much to the dismay of my missus.

I don't want to confuse the issue, but if you're open to trying new things, how about this:
Eat a proper meal before a run (Complex carbs.)
After your run, only take your amino supplements with no carbs at all.
Don't eat carbs for around 90 minutes. In these 90 minutes your body will still be in fat burning mode, but you won't lose any muscle due to supplementation with your EAA and BCAA's.

I did that for a while whilst trying to trim fat. I'll admit, for the 90 minutes after running I was ravenous, but I managed to lose quite a lot of fat.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Yeah man.I own a few pills but lots of protein and pre and post workouts that I nought but find out I wasted money because they have empty fillers like maltosextrin etc

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
I don't understand this at all.this is over my head. Why I ask so many questions...sorry ppl for asking what may seem dumb questions

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
A plus about morning fasted cardio is that you have a lower insulin level (granted you haven't loaded up on carbs before bed). This helps with the fat burning. Fasted cardio can be catabolic, but that's where aminos come in. I haven't heard about fasted cardio being bad. That's something I'll have to look into.

EddyRay

EddyRay

Awards
A plus about morning fasted cardio is that you have a lower insulin level (granted you haven't loaded up on carbs before bed). This helps with the fat burning. Fasted cardio can be catabolic, but that's where aminos come in. I haven't heard about fasted cardio being bad. That's something I'll have to look into.
Yeah man, good point actually. Then again eating low GI carbs will also not spike your insulin as much. Thanks for contributing though, this whole fasted cardio concept is really a widely ongoing discussion.

spimp187

Awards
The debate regarding fasted cardio ultimately depends on your hormones levels. And that is in large part dependent on diet. From what I have read, fasted cardio would work well when following a keto/low-carb diet. When following a keto diet, your body will use fat as a primary fuel source, sparing muscle tissue for fuel. The reason for that revolves around insulin and the cascade of hormonal changes that occur when the body is not receiving carbs.

If your body is using carbs as a main fuel source, then when faced with energy expenditure and a lack of carbs, your body will burn muscle tissue before fat.

If you do a goggle search for Anabolic Diet or Ultimate Diet, they both go in to great detail about this process.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
It is very broad. I think re fat loss it's best fasted with a bit of BCAA or glutamine to prevent catabolism or for performance, a small 200 calorie meal 1-2 hours before that your stomach can handle