low carb, strength loss

wmarke1977

Awards
I enjoy eating low carb, and def feel better overall with this type of eating. What are you guys who are doing low carb, and working out in the morning eating pre and post workout? My strenght is way down probably do to the diet. I usually have 5 whole eggs, and 6 oz of organic yogurt for breakfast, and 20 grams of NP BCAA during workout. Seems like I have a horrible burn in the specific muscle I am working more so on low carb, i dont know if thats increased lactic acid, or a muscle glycogen issue. any thoughts?

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna be real honest, I never noticed strength going down while Keto, so not sure?

Perhaps it's just a matter of having some food before? I have never felt anything like that. You sure it's not anything to do with the training you're currently doing? Perhaps not having enough good fatty acids or oils?

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
Just curious -- have you tried weight training without having a meal beforehand?

I've never noticed a negative effect on strength with fasted weight training, plus you could still take in some BCAAs right before and during your session as well.

wmarke1977

Awards
hmm. I have lifted on an empty stomach before, and the pump was nice but I do cardio after I lift. I dont have an option to really change when I do my cardio bc im in a crunch for time. So you think it would be good to lift in AM on an empty stomach?
I take a few grams of Fish Oils per day, and eat tons of Natty PB, would like to add in some flax again.

crazym

Awards
I tried dieting low carb several times (sub 100 grams) but I just lost strength quickly. Now I cycle between 100-300 grams when dieting. I take the majority of my carbs 10 minutes pre, and intra workout and now I fare much better. Oats for breakfast, 50grams dextrose intra workout. High carb days ill chuck in 100gm or so post workout aswell.

kyoryoko

Awards
Could be eating too close to your workout and having not enough blood in your muscles to carry away the lactic acid fast enough.
But if you've done it before and now ONLY on low carb you feel an extra burn it can be from the slower refilling of muscle glycogen, seeing the liver would have to do it all via liver glucose being dumped into the blood stream then being absorbed by the muscle. Coupled with the blood being stuck in digestion, it could be a double whammy.

I for one have not noticed much extra "burn". though I usually switch up my training when I got on an EXTRA low carb diet. Somewhere in the vicinity of 40-80g and only veggies.

Just a thought

raulob72

Awards
  • Established
Try to add a test booster ,here is several here that will help on the strenght,and they also help with protein synthesis,just my .02 cents bro!!

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
hmm. I have lifted on an empty stomach before, and the pump was nice but I do cardio after I lift. I dont have an option to really change when I do my cardio bc im in a crunch for time. So you think it would be good to lift in AM on an empty stomach?
I take a few grams of Fish Oils per day, and eat tons of Natty PB, would like to add in some flax again.
Ah, well I do some cardio after lifting too; at the moment it looks like this:

PreWO (stim) + BCAAs --> Lift --> BCAAs --> Cardio (20min/30max) --> PostWO meal

But, I have significantly more energy before I eat a large meal as opposed to afterwards; so while I lift in a fasted state for physiological and performance reasons, I just feel better prepared to get sh*t done on an empty stomach. So in essence, for me, I think it is optimal to lift on an empty stomach (not including BCAAs) but I still emphasize that individual preference is a big factor here.

Also as kyoryoko also mentioned, I believe the body focuses on digestion in the hours after a large meal which might manifest in a lack of energy or stamina during your workout. If you choose to continue eating before your workout, you might want to allow a little more time between the two and/or consume fewer calories (which you could actually just add to your PostWO meal).

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I should also add I lift fasted in the morning and eat my largest meal post work out. Cutting carbs down as the day goes.

stanleytapp

Awards
I too should go like this. This is best. Thanks

wmarke1977

Awards
Sounds good, I think you are right. Eating to close to the workout is a problem. Im gonna try and get up earlier to eat. Or try working out on just BCAAs.
It would be great if there were actual thermogenics out there one could use instead of products claiming to be thermogenic but they are really just stimulants.
I run DTHC as a test booster its my favorite, and I have always loved it.
I am currently trying to kick my coffee habbit, and it sucks lots of lethargy. I love coffee but have some reasons to believe that it may be a carcinogen, and I also believe that consuming over 500mg of caffiene can have estrogenic effects in men.

spimp187

Awards
I follow a CKD diet and train in the morning on an empty stomach (pre-w/o stim, drink BCAA during, whey post). I know my strength drops on low carbs so during the week I drop the weight, increase reps and decrease rest between sets. I carb up on Friday and then on Saturday lift heavy, sticking to only complex movements. Never had any lactic acid issues. I have had issues with low potassium which caused some muscle pain issues. How does your potassium intake look?

wmarke1977

Awards
good question. I take ADAM multi other than that probably get most of my K+ from vegetables, and meat.

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
depends on your training, if your doing heavy 5x5 sets or something of that nature, then carbs won't play as big of a role. If your doing high intensity hypertrophy workouts, with sets of 10-12, and short rest periods, then fasted workouts will destroy you (if carb intake is low).

Your 1-3 repmax strength isn't effected, but since your glycogen stores are low, it's going to have a large impact on volume and intensity

Reactions: T50
T50

T50

Awards
  • Established
depends on your training, if your doing heavy 5x5 sets or something of that nature, then carbs won't play as big of a role. If your doing high intensity hypertrophy workouts, with sets of 10-12, and short rest periods, then fasted workouts will destroy you (if carb intake is low).

Your 1-3 repmax strength isn't effected, but since your glycogen stores are low, it's going to have a large impact on volume and intensity
Exactly. 100% agreed. I notice my sets of 10 reps get massacred while on very low carb/keto. This is why when I'm cutting I strictly train without low reps for most body parts. Love Madcow's 5x5 when dieting :)