Stuck in a rut

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.5%

Stuck in a rut

I've been going to the gym regularly and eating healthy for weeks now with no change to my scale. I see a few differences showing on my body, but I am getting frustrated with my lack of weight loss.

I eat roughly 60g of protein a day, live on a 1300 cal diet, and drink 60-80oz of water. I've started taking Acetyl L-Carnitine and Chromium to help curb my hunger and jump start my metabolism.

My gym routine consists of weight training on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Sundays. Mondays and Thursdays I walk/jog 5mi with my dog and Wednesdays I do a heavy cardio day at the gym.

What can I do different to help get that scale to start falling backwards?

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  258 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.27%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat536 View Post
    I've been going to the gym regularly and eating healthy for weeks now with no change to my scale. I see a few differences showing on my body, but I am getting frustrated with my lack of weight loss.

I eat roughly 60g of protein a day, live on a 1300 cal diet, and drink 60-80oz of water. I've started taking Acetyl L-Carnitine and Chromium to help curb my hunger and jump start my metabolism.

My gym routine consists of weight training on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Sundays. Mondays and Thursdays I walk/jog 5mi with my dog and Wednesdays I do a heavy cardio day at the gym.

What can I do different to help get that scale to start falling backwards?
    60g of protein daily while lifting? OUCH. Talk about catabolic, DAMN. I would suggest upping the protein and decreasing carbs. Also, if you are seeing changes in the mirror, then you are burning fat. Don't get obsessed by a number on a scale. Just my 2c, many more knowledgeable peeps here than me.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve

Recoverbro
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.5%

How many grams of Protein would you recommend? I thought I was actually doing well! Shows what I know...

I know I shouldn't be obsessed with what's on the scale and I'm doing my best not to be, but its hard to hear that I'm considered overweight because of my lbs to height.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.81%

Get more scientific about your calories. Start using a website (such as My Fitness Pal) that will let you keep track of your exact caloric intake. You may in fact need more calories, and you definitely need some more protein. The starvation diet definitely isn't going to lead to the quickest fat loss. Also, make sure you are eating small meals every couple of hours.

As far as the workouts, try to vary your cardio. Make sure you have at least a couple days of high intensity interval training per week. Regarding the weight training, you're only going to get out as much as you put into it, so you may need to bump up your intensity level on that.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.34%

At 1300cals your body is probaly holding to to fat to keep you alive.I say your burning fat but more muscle then anything.
    Being you weigh 170lb you most likly need to eat more.

Im 180lb 5'11"and lose fat on 2200cal with no exercise.
    Im eating 3200-3300cal and losing some fat not alot(not trying to)and thinking i need more for training like i do.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.78%

1300 cals is kind of low, id up it closer to 2000, especially if your training as you say your are. Also, define "healthy", it will help people understand and assist you better if you break out ur day meal by meal, or at least by macronutrients. Taman is right, dont even bother looking at the scale. Since it sounds like your just starting an exercise regiment, your body is going to put on a decent amount of muscle while your burning fat. Since muscle tissue weighs more than fatty tissue, it very well could be that you'd see your actual weight increase. But dont worry, just judge by what you see in the mirror and how you feel. Also, id suggset more water, maybe around a gallon a day. GL bud
    Applied Nutriceuticals Lipotrophin-AM/PM Log - http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/173270-japs-cuttin-summer.html#post2832457
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.5%

How much protein do you recommend?

I eat about 5 times a day. Usually small, but I don't feel hungry. I checked and it stated I needed 1400 cal as a min. So what calorie intake should I be looking at?

I just started lifting, so my muscles are weak, but they are starting to show. I'm now able to chest press twice as much as I was when I started. I keep increasing weight on everything every week or two. I just don't want to hurt myself in the process.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.78%

Quote Originally Posted by tubbednova View Post
    At 1300cals your body is probaly holding to to fat to keep you alive.I say your burning fat but more muscle then anything.
    Being you weigh 170lb you most likly need to eat more.

Im 180lb 5'11"and lose fat on 2200cal with no exercise.
    Im eating 3200-3300cal and losing some fat not alot(not trying to)and thinking i need more for training like i do.
    hes 170 @ 5'7'' , and from the sounds of it not in shape (no offense OP). So he probably has a decent amount of body fat, and is simply trying to lose body fat, and not too concerned with lean body mass. Also, sounds like your a mesomorph and hes an endomorph, so he'll need lower cals to achieve his current goals. Def take owlicks advice and become more regimented with your diet to see the changes you're looking for
    Applied Nutriceuticals Lipotrophin-AM/PM Log - http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/173270-japs-cuttin-summer.html#post2832457
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.78%

How much protein do you recommend?

I eat about 5 times a day. Usually small, but I don't feel hungry. I checked and it stated I needed 1400 cal as a min. So what calorie intake should I be looking at?

I just started lifting, so my muscles are weak, but they are starting to show. I'm now able to chest press twice as much as I was when I started. I keep increasing weight on everything every week or two. I just don't want to hurt myself in the process.
    id start with a 1g/lb, so 170 ish. Not sure what "it" is that your referring too, but 1400 is low, even for a person trying to lose weight with no exercise at all. Its good that your feeling stronger and watching your body change, keep up the training. Don't be afraid to ask people for help with exercises and stuff at the gym. The worst thing you can do for yourself is to get accustom to doing sloppy exercises. Plus you'll reduce your chance for injury
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.5%

First off, if you are referring to me, I'm a she. So I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I'm still a bit out of shape, but I went 4 years without doing much. I'm just finally deciding to make that life change and get back into the swing of things.

I've been training with my boyfriend who's been teaching me proper technique before asking me to increase weight so that I don't hurt myself. I have nearly doubled the amount of weight I was using and I've definitely seen changes, in my arms and thighs, and I'm continuing to increase weights, but I don't want to become bulky.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.78%

First off, if you are referring to me, I'm a she. So I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I'm still a bit out of shape, but I went 4 years without doing much. I'm just finally deciding to make that life change and get back into the swing of things.

I've been training with my boyfriend who's been teaching me proper technique before asking me to increase weight so that I don't hurt myself. I have nearly doubled the amount of weight I was using and I've definitely seen changes, in my arms and thighs, and I'm continuing to increase weights, but I don't want to become bulky.
    lol sorry, didnt bother to look at your profile, just assumed, as i'm sure most of us did. It does change things a bit. 1400 cals should be ok, maybe 1600 since your training has increased considerably. As for your protein, probably dont need 1g/lb, 100-120 would be fine. When you get to your ideal weight, you'll never be bulky. @170, adding muscle could make you look a bit so, but it'll look good in the end. I'd say add more cardio, whether it be in the morning, or extend your afternoon sessions, and keep the lifting where its at. Since your not concerned about preserving every ounce of muscle tissue, going crazy with cardio will help you realize your goals quicker, in my opinion. Again, sorry for assuming your a guy, your stats are pretty typical for males around here, including myself, lol
  12. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  258 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.27%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Ok, yea, actully, being female does make a bit of a differance. It explain's why you feel you are overweight at 5'7 and 170 (BTW, google Corey Everson, 150-160 pounds and beautiful body ). You need not worry about bulking up, although yes, women can add muscle, they generally lack the hormonal profiles to get HUGE!

(/Begins to wonder when Rosie is going to come in here and tell me I got it all wrong LMAO)

You have some solid advice here none the less. Start using some type of calorie tracking device/websites. Some will even ask a few questions including your goals and make daily caloric intake suggestions.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve

Recoverbro
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.5%

Haha, it's fine. I figured that's why I was getting some out of whack advice to what I'd heard before.
    So, 100g protein, lots of water, 1400-1600 cal, and double the cardio? I think that can be done.

I'm open to more advice for sure. I've been doing a lot over the past year to see if I can make a difference, and I'm only just now starting to see little things. I'd like to be lookin hot in my bikini by the end of May.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.78%

Quote Originally Posted by taman6886 View Post
    (/Begins to wonder when Rosie is going to come in here and tell me I got it all wrong LMAO) .

Fingers crossed, for both of us, aha
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.7%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Here are a links to a couple threads I've done on nutrition. You'll find some good info in there:

Fuel Talk Pt 1...Though I'd Share This

ZONE Meal of the Week Pt 1
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222

Similar Forum Threads

1. please help. stuck at 173
    By R1balla in forum Bulking
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 09-06-2010, 02:48 PM
  2. Stuck!!!!!!!!!! please help!
    By TomR2424 in forum Bulking