General CKD questions

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.77%

General CKD questions

Right now I am 337 down from 360. I lost this by doing the common lower carb, low fat, high protien. However, I get my body composition tested in a BOdPod(very accurate) and I lost too much lbm for my liking.

So.........

I was thinking about trying the CKD diet. I bought "The Metabolic Diet" about two years ago and read the book but never decided to do the diet. Recently I got the dust off the book and began reading it again and am interested in giving the diet a try.

got a couple questions though:
    1) I was thinking starting out at around 3000cals but according to the CKD Parameter Calculator at 12 cals/lb./day i should be eating 4044cals a day.
    I find this to be excessive IMO.

2) Would it be bad to limit the amout of saturated fat as long as it is replaced by other fats? I've just read to many conflicting things on the matter.

3) Would a 1:1 ration of protien grams to fat grams be best? Again to many opinions to decide for myself. Some say protein isn't as important due to the protien sparing effect of the ketogenisis but just looking for some opinions/comments.

Just to explain why i weigh so much now. I've been fat but athletic pretty much my whole life but hadn't really added the pounds on till I got injured. I've had a knee surgery and 2 shoulder surgeries over the past 2-3 years. In this time I put on about 90 pounds due to depression and inactivity. Currently my shoulder is still ****ed up but I'm working on it and am in the gym like I use to be. I really don't look like what I weigh because dispite the bodyfat amount I still have a good amount of muscle. But I do look fat. Just not 337 fat but I am.

Thanks in advance for whoever responds for taking the time and effort to help me out.
    BigBody

2. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

In all seriousness, you would be better off using a 40/40/20 split diet but if you are going to do this the CKD way here are some tips:

1. Stick to the calories requirements in the book. You might think its excessive but its not. If you did a basic calorie requirement calculation for your bodyweight, it would be around 4500 calories. Depeding on previous history, workout plan, daily activity, diet and bf% that would be adjusted even further

2. ALWAYS limit saturated fat, peroid.

3. The protein sparing effect of ketosis is highly overrated. Even Lyle will agree and states this in UD2. There is no need to stay in ketosis.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.77%

Thanks Bobo for your help in answering these questions for me. Was just wondering tho why a 40/40/20 would be better than a CKD diet?
    I gues if CKD is not all its cracked up to be I'll have no problem making a good 40/40/20 diet.
    •   

4. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

I tihnk its better for long term goals because you generally eat more food, its less restrictive and its easier to adjust down the road. I also find people go overboard on their refeeds which halts progress.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  5. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.91%

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    I tihnk its better for long term goals because you generally eat more food, its less restrictive and its easier to adjust down the road. I also find people go overboard on their refeeds which halts progress.
    Weren't you a big anti-carb, CKD advocate back in the day, bobo? When/why did the change of preference from ckd to 40/40/20 come about?
  6. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

I still like them and think they have their place but when it coems to overall feeling and results (as in getting very low bf%) I like more carb based diets much better. I would say about 6 months agi I started to really change my mind. I just didn't tell anyone

Similar Forum Threads

1. CKD question
    By bigdognhb in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-10-2009, 12:07 AM
  2. CKD question
    By JudoJosh in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-06-2008, 11:11 AM
  3. Anabolic Diet Questions ( General CKD / Ketosis )
    By proeliator in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 10:35 AM
  4. General PH questions: "the other daily stuff"
    By weirddude in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 05:21 AM
  5. 3 CKD Questions
    By willjohnson33 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-20-2003, 12:20 PM