Nephew needs to loose weight

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.37%

Nephew needs to loose weight

My nephew is 11 yrs old close to 200 lbs and only 5' tall. I have started do cardio with him and I have been trying to help him get his diet straight. But just curious if anyone has any suggestions. I started with getting him to stop with the sodas and candy. I bought him some food that is much cleaner.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  176 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.81%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Layddually View Post
    My nephew is 11 yrs old close to 200 lbs and only 5' tall. I have started do cardio with him and I have been trying to help him get his diet straight. But just curious if anyone has any suggestions. I started with getting him to stop with the sodas and candy. I bought him some food that is much cleaner.
    He must stop ALL sodas, candy, foods high in simple carbohydrates (white breads, sugary cereal etc) Get him to eat lean meats and vegetables as primary sources of protein and carbs. Drink only water.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.13%

Since he is only 11 you should talk to your aunt or uncle they buy the stuff he's eating and doing cardio is going to have little impact until his diet or when he starts to diet gets better.I was the same as him at his age.He probaly won't have an intrest in a diet for about 5 more yrs.(girls)but to get him on the ball now would be great!doing cardio for an hour then eating a bowl of captain crunch and slaming a jolt and eating a babyruth kinda defeats it!He's 11yrs old!Play football,basketball,ect..fun things.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.37%

Thats what I tried to buy for him. But his mom is an idiot so not sure how long this will last.
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity Veteran

Great advice so far.

I'm just throwing this out there as a last resort sort of thing; has he had any bloodwork done to make sure that all of his levels are normal? I only even bring it up, because I always criticized my diet and training and even after I got both really to a T, I still had to deal with extra fat and I've since found out that I have hypothyroidism.

I like to exert all options first before jumping to the "something is to blame for my problems" card, but just keep that in mind.

Good luck.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.23%

Tell him to go out and play. He's 11. Just go be a normal kid and stop playing video games all day.

When I was 11 I was eating cheese burgers, drinking sodas all day, cheetos, etc.
    I also also skate boarding, riding my bike, jumping out of trees, practicing martial arts, and competed on the swim team. Insanely active. I was burning at least 2000-3000 cals a day, for sure. That's what kids used to do. All day and all night.

Clean up his diet, sure. More importantly, go do something except for play video games. New generation of kids are mostly indoors or on the computer.

Not knocking your nephew. I have family that's just like that. The biggest problem isn't diet, in my opinion. It's lack of activity.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.13%

New generation one word LASYITISE!(my word i'll spell it how i want lol).I was super fat at 11 and 12,13ect..though i was active i wasn't enough for what i ate and drankCould only play atari for so long!Man am i getting old!Mybe a WII think it is interactive type would mybe help nothing beats tag,flag football i was in to lacrose if he likes that use a tennisball getting hit with a lacrose ball a couple times will make that short lived.Point being doing something you enjoy and is fun will help you stick to it,im done with treadmills except for a cooldown but had no fun on them elliptilcals my new form of cardio which is more of a training thing now is kickboxing and heavybag training i like it and my heart rate stays around 80-85+and gets there fast.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.63%

Hate to say it but unless you are able to get both the child and parents onboard with healthy lifestyle you have already lost. I agree that you need to help your nephew. You just have to have everyone's participation.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.83%

Quote Originally Posted by shocknyou View Post
    Hate to say it but unless you are able to get both the child and parents onboard with healthy lifestyle you have already lost. I agree that you need to help your nephew. You just have to have everyone's participation.
    ^^....at that age it's not an individual choice.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Trying to loose weight!
    By Paul D in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-30-2009, 02:54 PM
  2. Hold weight and loose BF?
    By mcgeier in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-04-2009, 09:04 PM
  3. Noob wants to loose weight!
    By ich1ban in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 14