1. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"  194.4 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.8%

Weight training help

Hey,

I have been weight training for almost 2 weeks but need advice. I keep hearing people say I should work on different body parts and not do them all the same day.
    I have been doing the same routine (switching it up here and there) everyday.
    For ex:
    bicep curls, kickbacks, shoulder press, weighted squats, weighted lunges, crunches, etc.

Is that ok? or am I supposed to do legs on one day, arms on another, chest the next, etc???
    I work out 4-5 days a week and have little to no muscle.

I wanted to workout now but I am having a hard time trying to figure this out.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'1"  111 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.75%

Some weight lifters you'll see separating days something like
    Chest/Triceps
    Back/Biceps
    off day or cardio
    Shoulders
    Legs
    off day or cardio
    off day

But as a beginning beginner it should be fine doing full body workouts at least 3 times a week, although it won't last long that way. You'll need to change things up as u progress. basically the more advanced, the more time you'll need between muscles groups to recuperate.

At 4-5 times a week, how do u feel? How sore are your muscles the day after and how do u feel during your routine? How close would u say u feel to failure after your last set?
    How long are your workouts?
    Those are questions for u, no need to answer them here.

I'm thinking over time, if you feel fine doing 4-5 days weights full body, it would be a good idea to do some splits. the weights you have are pretty light but u can do things like circuit training to get more out of them.
    if your feeling the need to change things up you can do two day splits like
    day 1- Upper body- Back, Chest, Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps
    day 2- Lower body- Quads/glutes/hams (like Squats), Hams (deadlift), Calves and Abs
    rest
    day 1 again-Upper Body- same muscles but maybe switch moves to keep things interesting
    day 2 again-Lower body " "
    rest
    rest

I throw my cardio in whenever I'm feeling good for it usually on arm days or rest days from weights. I recommend always having 1 good rest day.

This is just one idea of many ways you might go about it and it's a method commonly used.
    Your doimg Great Meme. Change things up when feels right for you
    smallfry@athleticxtreme.com
    http://www.facebook.com/Athleticxtreme
    Athletic Xtreme Rep

3. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  258 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.4%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Mem88,

You are doing fine. Full body work outs are great for beginners and is actually often recommended (3x/wk) when one is starting a weight reduction program. Just stay consistent at this time, worry about changing things up later.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"  194.4 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.8%

Thanks. I have been a little sore the next day, especially after doing calf raises, but not serious pain. It feels more like my body adapting to the change. A little stretching after my workout helps a lot (as recommended by Rosie).

On another note, I feel great after my full body workout. My body feels pumped. I actually did 20+ push ups and like 12 dips (ha ha) ever since I started weight training. It's a little, I know, but way more than I could do 2 weeks ago.
    I will continue my full body workouts 3-4 days a week and just change it up a bit. I am also changing my dumbbell weight. I am using 10lb dumbbells but am able to do 2 x 10 sumo squats with a 40lb.

Thanks again!
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.67%

Start off slow, it's now how much weight you can push or how many reps. Your body will adapt to everything you do, all you have to figure out is the right timing.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.1%

Keep to it don't let your ego get the best of ya.Focus on form and away your grow but try to add 2.5-5lbs to your lifts every other week .Don't blow yourself out too!Enjoy it and try not to let it comsume you!(to late for me its my life so to speak)
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.62%

Quote Originally Posted by Meme88 View Post
    Hey,

I have been weight training for almost 2 weeks but need advice. I keep hearing people say I should work on different body parts and not do them all the same day.
    I have been doing the same routine (switching it up here and there) everyday.
    For ex:
    bicep curls, kickbacks, shoulder press, weighted squats, weighted lunges, crunches, etc.

Is that ok? or am I supposed to do legs on one day, arms on another, chest the next, etc???
    I work out 4-5 days a week and have little to no muscle.

I wanted to workout now but I am having a hard time trying to figure this out.
    You did not specify what your goals are. Are you trying to lose weight, bulk up or recomp?

I'm assuming your goal is weight loss since you're posting in the weight loss forum.
    For weight loss, clean diet is key and incorporate intense weight training routines 3 times a week, and High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) 3 times a week.

I had great success with the following schedule
    Monday - HIIT
    Tuesday - Legs, Chest, Biceps
    Wednesday - HIIT
    Thursday - Back, Triceps, Shoulders
    Friday - HIIT
    Saturday - Legs, Calves, Traps
    Sunday - Rest with plenty of food (cheat day)
  8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.79%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Full body is great IMO for a beginner. I personally hate them unless its 5x5 which isnt really full body.

5x5 is a great program for any person no matter what lifting experience they have.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.77%

looks ok to me
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"  194.4 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.8%

Quote Originally Posted by mafiozo View Post
    Start off slow, it's now how much weight you can push or how many reps. Your body will adapt to everything you do, all you have to figure out is the right timing.
    I agree. I have started working out 4 times a week with 3 rest days. I might run or job on 2 of the rest days. Now, my body is comfortable- I just adjust weights here and there.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"  194.4 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.8%

Quote Originally Posted by tubbednova View Post
    Keep to it don't let your ego get the best of ya.Focus on form and away your grow but try to add 2.5-5lbs to your lifts every other week .Don't blow yourself out too!Enjoy it and try not to let it comsume you!(to late for me its my life so to speak)
    Thanks. Lucky for me my hubby lifts weights and has different size weights.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"  194.4 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.8%

Quote Originally Posted by ruffrhyder View Post
    You did not specify what your goals are. Are you trying to lose weight, bulk up or recomp?

I'm assuming your goal is weight loss since you're posting in the weight loss forum.
    For weight loss, clean diet is key and incorporate intense weight training routines 3 times a week, and High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) 3 times a week.

I had great success with the following schedule
    Monday - HIIT
    Tuesday - Legs, Chest, Biceps
    Wednesday - HIIT
    Thursday - Back, Triceps, Shoulders
    Friday - HIIT
    Saturday - Legs, Calves, Traps
    Sunday - Rest with plenty of food (cheat day)

Great advice. I have definitely started eating healthy and sticking to a 4-5 meals a day plan (eating heavy carbs during the day).
    My goal is Fat Loss. I am definitely trying to tone up as well.
    Your schedule is very helpful. I was trying to figure out how to split my workouts throughout the week.
    Cheat days...I am trying not to think about those yet. My diet still consist of carbs here and there so a cheat day, I feel, would throw me off. Thanks!
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"  194.4 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.8%

Quote Originally Posted by R1balla View Post
    Full body is great IMO for a beginner. I personally hate them unless its 5x5 which isnt really full body.

5x5 is a great program for any person no matter what lifting experience they have.
    I'm assuming you mean 5 sets x 5 reps??? And if so, this is with a heavier weight right?

Similar Forum Threads

1. is it ohk to run before weight training?
    By HarleyPitts in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-14-2011, 06:10 PM
  2. How much weight training?
    By jfear in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-30-2008, 10:38 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-26-2007, 10:37 PM
  4. Does weight training and....
    By fbcoach in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 3