Daily intakes??? confused!!!

Meme88

Awards
Hey,

I was researching "what my daily carb and protein intake should be" but I came across so many different recommendations. I just started some moderate weight training (5 or 10 lb weights lunges, squats, bicep curls, tricep kickbacks etc). I am trying to shed some pregnancy weight as well as fat. I weighed 204 about 2 weeks ago. Today I am 194.4lbs. I have no muscle :boggled: (lol) but am trying to work my way up there. I have been taking Lipo 6 hers, multivitamin, and sesamin.
Currently I have been limiting myself to 200g of carbs and about 25-35g of protein daily. Do I worry about calories? some people say dont worry about calories...worry about sodium or worry about carbs. Can anyone share a great website, calculator, or even advice? The last thing I want is to be exercising and not seeing results because my nutrition and daily intake is lacking the essentials. Thanks. please critique :)

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey,

I was researching "what my daily carb and protein intake should be" but I came across so many different recommendations. I just started some moderate weight training (5 or 10 lb weights lunges, squats, bicep curls, tricep kickbacks etc). I am trying to shed some pregnancy weight as well as fat. I weighed 204 about 2 weeks ago. Today I am 194.4lbs. I have no muscle :boggled: (lol) but am trying to work my way up there. I have been taking Lipo 6 hers, multivitamin, and sesamin.
Currently I have been limiting myself to 200g of carbs and about 25-35g of protein daily. Do I worry about calories? some people say dont worry about calories...worry about sodium or worry about carbs. Can anyone share a great website, calculator, or even advice? The last thing I want is to be exercising and not seeing results because my nutrition and daily intake is lacking the essentials. Thanks. please critique :)
I think you mean 200g of protein and 25-35g of carbohydrates? Either way, neither is beneficial, IMO - limiting carbohydrates or protein is not the way for fat loss.

No one can tell you what your macronutrient intake should be - it's specific to the individual what works best. Ignore the DIETS out there, though - there is so much misinformation in diets, and they are NOT maintainable for long periods of time (nor are they meant to be, really). Look at creating a LIFESTYLE diet plan - this is what your "diet" should be - changing it for your goals re caloric intake.

I gave you links in the last thread you posted - go back and read the article linked there and use the tools in it.

~Rosie~

Boagrius

Boagrius

Awards
Alright well first off, congrats on the baby!!

You do need to watch your calories but more important your carbs. If we broke down your carbs and protein it would look like this.
200g carbs X 4 calories per gram = 800 calories per day
35g protein X 4 calories per gram = 140 calories per day
?g fat X 9 calories per gram = You need to know how much fat per day

so thats 940 calories not including fat.

You could total around 1500 calories and still be in a deficet.

I would recommend cutting your carbs down and increasing protein first. Protein takes longer to break down and therefore keeps you fuller longer. Simple carbs will spike insulin and cause the body to go into a catabolic state inhibiting your metabolism to burn as many calories.

What kind of fats are you intaking?
Do you eat simple carbs or complex carbs?

Meme88

Awards
I think you mean 200g of protein and 25-35g of carbohydrates? Either way, neither is beneficial, IMO - limiting carbohydrates or protein is not the way for fat loss.

No one can tell you what your macronutrient intake should be - it's specific to the individual what works best. Ignore the DIETS out there, though - there is so much misinformation in diets, and they are NOT maintainable for long periods of time (nor are they meant to be, really). Look at creating a LIFESTYLE diet plan - this is what your "diet" should be - changing it for your goals re caloric intake.

I gave you links in the last thread you posted - go back and read the article linked there and use the tools in it.

~Rosie~
I actually wrote it correctly. 200g of carbs...I read your articles etc and figured since most sites say my daily card intake should be 300+ I would do 100 less. Now I know I am wrong which is why I am trying to find out what is a good amount of protein intake.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I actually wrote it correctly. 200g of carbs...I read your articles etc and figured since most sites say my daily card intake should be 300+ I would do 100 less. Now I know I am wrong which is why I am trying to find out what is a good amount of protein intake.
200g of carbohydrates is fine, but 25-35g of protein is NOT. You should be having at least 92g of protein - at least 1g of protein per kilogram (1kg = 2.2lb) of body mass (this was in The 3 Keys to Fat Loss).

A highly comprehensive eBook that I recommend you get and read is Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle - this is an excellent resource for those wanting fat loss.

~Rosie~

Meme88

Awards
@ Boagrius

Thanks for the response and thanks for the congrats... having a baby is great!!! I am definitely looking to decrease carbs and increase protein. I was just checking out protein powders and bars but most of them were high in carbs. I did purchase a box of Atkins protein bars which were 18g protein and 22carb each (the lowest I found). I eat chicken and red meats but very small portions. Therefore, I am looking for protein powder low carbs and any other products out there to catch up on my proteins.
As for carbs(my weakness), I used to eat white bread, rice, potatoes. Those are the main carbs I would have.
Now I am eating whole wheat bread, little to no rice (when I do its a small portion about 1 or 2 times a week) and no potatoes.

Before....for breakfast I would have 1 or 2 eggs and 2 slices of white toast with a slice of cheese. I would even add sausage or bacon at times.:boggled:I used to also have a large dinner after 6:30pm which consist of carbs etc.

Now I am having 1 slice of wheat, 2 eggs, and a danactive probiotic dairy drink or I might have a bowl of Kashi golean cereal (still searching for more breakfast options).
*I think my main problem is having 3+ meals a day. I have always had about 1 or 2 meals a day with a small snack. I figured I could add in a protein shake as a 3rd meal and a bar as a fourth?

My dinner options now are: lettuce, meats/chicken, whole wheat pasta, and I even bought some of the "smart ones" meals (still looking for more options).

Meme88

Awards
200g of carbohydrates is fine, but 25-35g of protein is NOT. You should be having at least 92g of protein - at least 1g of protein per kilogram (1kg = 2.2lb) of body mass.

A highly comprehensive eBook that I recommend you get and read is Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle - this is an excellent resource for those wanting fat loss.

~Rosie~
Thanks Rosie. I appreciate your help. I actually have your "3 keys to fat loss" page open as we speak! I think I will aim for a lower carb intake. I had 1 1/2 slice of bread with 3 eggs this morning and am pretty full.
I am looking into the creatine powder...still researching.

I took your advice on seasoning food and bought a herbs, garlic, and spices with 0 cals, 0 carbs, 0 everything and its great!

As for the cheat meals, even though I am really trying to stay away, I bought some of the weight watchers ice cream snacks (not sure if its a good choice. Definitely went for it because of the name).

I am working out 6 days a week for about 1 to 2hrs. Weight training and I am starting to run (I get a really bad pain in the left side of my hip/butt bone when I run, stand too long etc. so its hard to do sprints or run for too long). I think I've mastered 5 lb dumbbells so i might jump to 10. I can so about 3 sets of 25 reps with my 5lbs-squats, lunges, bicep curls, tricep kickbacks(having some trouble mastering those), and many more different lifting techniques.

I can definitely feel the burn and it feels good. I went to the city(NY) the other day and my thighs were like springs that would not stretch. I felt the burn going down the subway steps.
I will stop now cause I am writing to much lol.

Meme88

Awards
Alright well first off, congrats on the baby!!

You do need to watch your calories but more important your carbs. If we broke down your carbs and protein it would look like this.
200g carbs X 4 calories per gram = 800 calories per day
35g protein X 4 calories per gram = 140 calories per day
?g fat X 9 calories per gram = You need to know how much fat per day

so thats 940 calories not including fat.

You could total around 1500 calories and still be in a deficet.

I would recommend cutting your carbs down and increasing protein first. Protein takes longer to break down and therefore keeps you fuller longer. Simple carbs will spike insulin and cause the body to go into a catabolic state inhibiting your metabolism to burn as many calories.

What kind of fats are you intaking?
Do you eat simple carbs or complex carbs?
Thanks so much. I replied separately above^^^^:wink1:

Mrodz

Mrodz

Awards
  • Established
From what I've read in ur posts u have a great mindset as to healthier choices. Lots of optimism and enthusiasm!
Just a few more tips to add to all the great info u got in this thread.

btw love this
Nutrient Density – Select foods that deliver the most nutrients for the least energy
~thnx Rosie

Protein bars and shakes are good for convenience , but I try not to rely on them too much. Their not as filling and being processed, they just don't have the same thermal effect as a meal. I have the book burn the fat feed the muscle, it really is very good and an excellent recommendation. It has some great charts and lists as to how to combine complex carbs, simple carbs, protein and fats.
I have them stuck to the inside of my cabinet doors still.
There is an online version that u can download. It might seem a little pricey for an ebook but it's not, it's a great motivational read with Masses of info and some extra books thrown in.

Making those healthier choices, paying attention to cals and being honest with myself helped me start seeing results while I learned and adjusted the whole daily intake thing. It really is a lot to learn and record.

There are a few threads here (a ton actually) with ppl listing their diet and asking other members their opinion and critique. u can get some good ideas as to options and good fats versus bad etc...even some good recipes.

There's also the visual aspect of learning that will help when u go out to eat. If u write things down, measure stuff and weigh stuff at home it'll be easier to eyeball it when at a friends house or on a date with the hubby.

And you might find it a good idea to cook in bulk, because having things ready for heating up will help you stay away from bad choices and limit the need for bars and shakes.
Tom Venuto is the guy from Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle just in case
Good luck ur doing great!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks Rosie. I appreciate your help. I actually have your "3 keys to fat loss" page open as we speak! I think I will aim for a lower carb intake. I had 1 1/2 slice of bread with 3 eggs this morning and am pretty full.
I am looking into the creatine powder...still researching.

I took your advice on seasoning food and bought a herbs, garlic, and spices with 0 cals, 0 carbs, 0 everything and its great!

As for the cheat meals, even though I am really trying to stay away, I bought some of the weight watchers ice cream snacks (not sure if its a good choice. Definitely went for it because of the name).
All good - I'd rather see you do it right from the start.

Don't lower your carbohydrates TOO low. Even when working on fat loss, I still have >400g of carbohydrates a day.

Don't look at it as a 'cheat' but as a relief - if you are going to perpetually be at less than Maintenance, then your body will get used to that and you need to give your metabolism a kick every now and then to make it know that it's not starving.

I am working out 6 days a week for about 1 to 2hrs. Weight training and I am starting to run (I get a really bad pain in the left side of my hip/butt bone when I run, stand too long etc. so its hard to do sprints or run for too long). I think I've mastered 5 lb dumbbells so i might jump to 10. I can so about 3 sets of 25 reps with my 5lbs-squats, lunges, bicep curls, tricep kickbacks(having some trouble mastering those), and many more different lifting techniques.

I can definitely feel the burn and it feels good. I went to the city(NY) the other day and my thighs were like springs that would not stretch. I felt the burn going down the subway steps.
I will stop now cause I am writing to much lol.
1-2 hours a day six days a week is a little much if you're just starting, honestly. An hour 4-5 days a week is adequate enough, and you definitely don't need to do more than 3-4 resistance sessions of 30-40 minutes in duration.

Don't be afraid to use heavier weights - the heavier you go, the more beneficial it will be. At the end of the day challenge yourself - the light weights are ok for when you are learning an exercise until you get the technique right, but after that, you should be lifting as heavy as you can for the reps you are doing.

Keep at it. It will happen. This is where I sign out.

~Rosie~

Meme88

Awards
From what I've read in ur posts u have a great mindset as to healthier choices. Lots of optimism and enthusiasm!
Just a few more tips to add to all the great info u got in this thread.

btw love this ~thnx Rosie

Protein bars and shakes are good for convenience , but I try not to rely on them too much. Their not as filling and being processed, they just don't have the same thermal effect as a meal. I have the book burn the fat feed the muscle, it really is very good and an excellent recommendation. It has some great charts and lists as to how to combine complex carbs, simple carbs, protein and fats.
I have them stuck to the inside of my cabinet doors still.
There is an online version that u can download. It might seem a little pricey for an ebook but it's not, it's a great motivational read with Masses of info and some extra books thrown in.

Making those healthier choices, paying attention to cals and being honest with myself helped me start seeing results while I learned and adjusted the whole daily intake thing. It really is a lot to learn and record.

There are a few threads here (a ton actually) with ppl listing their diet and asking other members their opinion and critique. u can get some good ideas as to options and good fats versus bad etc...even some good recipes.

There's also the visual aspect of learning that will help when u go out to eat. If u write things down, measure stuff and weigh stuff at home it'll be easier to eyeball it when at a friends house or on a date with the hubby.

And you might find it a good idea to cook in bulk, because having things ready for heating up will help you stay away from bad choices and limit the need for bars and shakes.
Tom Venuto is the guy from Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle just in case
Good luck ur doing great!
I agree..protein bars and shakes will be used as a snack or catch up on protein because I just had one but am still hungry. I just got the ebook "burn fat feed muscles" for free. I dl'ed it to my phone and am ready to take it every where. It is actually perfect because I needed more food options! In previous "fat loss" attempts I got stuck and didn't know what to eat. I would get discouraged and also tired of eating the same foods. Now I will read this book and make this fat burn! lol.
I must say...I have never seen myself so motivated. I am actually online researching like crazy. I wish I could have Rosie here with me 24/7 as my mentor but I can't...hmph. I am definitely taking all the advice I can get.

Thanks!!!

Meme88

Awards
Don't lower your carbohydrates TOO low. Even when working on fat loss, I still have >400g of carbohydrates a day

Understood. I am actually working on 90+grams of protein and about 100-150grams carbs.

1-2 hours a day six days a week is a little much if you're just starting, honestly. An hour 4-5 days a week is adequate enough, and you definitely don't need to do more than 3-4 resistance sessions of 30-40 minutes in duration.

Don't be afraid to use heavier weights - the heavier you go, the more beneficial it will be. At the end of the day challenge yourself - the light weights are ok for when you are learning an exercise until you get the technique right, but after that, you should be lifting as heavy as you can for the reps you are doing

After reading your 3 keys I realized I was doing too much. I am going to be doing workouts 5 days a week which will consist of weight/resistance training and 3 days of cardio. I know you say HIIT is better but as I said before my leg has this pain that only god knows what it is. So I am going to start with running, 2-3 minute jog and some sprinting.