Basic Fat-loss Plan

nilebo2

Awards
Here are my stats:

34 years old (ancient in terms of athleticism)
5'8"
201lbs
22-25% bf (guessing)

I have been weight training for 5+ years. I started off pretty weak but have gained mass and strength in the process. I am posting my training stats only to give a perspective of where I am at, not flaunting my ego.

Bench: 255lbs
Squat: 365lbs
Deadlift: 365lbs
Clean: 185lbs

What adjustments should I make to the following dietary plan? Please remember that I have basically been eating whatever and whenever so this is the initial adjustment period. I am thinking long-term and will make macro adjustments as time goes on. Eventually I would like to cut back on the carbohydrates but for now I think I need to start with controlling my caloric intake in order to be successful. I've tried breaking most things down in terms of easy measurement (ie. 1 Cup) in order to be consistent and to make effortless adjustments as time goes on. Let me know what you think.

Breakfast: Eggs (Hard Boiled)/ 3 large/ 341 calories

Mid-morning: ON Whey Shake/ 1 serving/ 110 calories

Lunch: Brown Rice/ 1 Cup/ 234 calories
Olive oile/ 1/2 tablespoon/ 58 calories
Chicken Breast (diced)/ 1 Cup/ 221 calories
Apple/ 1 Large/ 110 calories

Mid-Afternoon: On Whey Shake/ 1 serving/ 110 calories

Dinner: Brown Rice/ 1 Cup/ 234 calories
Olive Oil/ 1/2 tablespoon/ 58 calories
Chicken Breast (diced)/ 1 Cup/ 221 calories
Almonds (Whole)/ 22 whole/ 169 calories

Before Bed: Cottage Cheese/ 2 Cups/ 327 calories

Macros: 2,196 Calories Total
Protein: 230.6g (42%)
Carbs: 156g (29%)
Fat: 71.6g (29%)

Please, be brutal. :chairshot:

Last edited:
Folkmetalhead

Folkmetalhead

Awards
First thing is more fat, less carbs. Your breakfast needs protein also, and olive oil before bed would be awesome thing to add.

Which kind of program you'r using now at the gym? If you have been training +5 years those lifts are pretty poor, no matter how weak you did start.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'd say just add 45 minutes of cardio 3x a week. The diet overall is fine.

nilebo2

Awards
First thing is more fat, less carbs. Your breakfast needs protein also, and olive oil before bed would be awesome thing to add.

Which kind of program you'r using now at the gym? If you have been training +5 years those lifts are pretty poor, no matter how weak you did start.
Currently I am running a 4 day P/RR/S. When I started, up until about a year and a half ago, I ran a Bill Starr 5x5 program and saw great results. Believe me, I have improved through the years. I cannot say that I was real consistent the entire 5 years. I've just been more consistent in the last couple years. I do not get bored with P/RR/S.

Thanks for the advice. I will consider upping my fat intake and lowering the carbs when I stop seeing results. Perhaps 3 eggs for breakfast instead of the the oatmeal?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
your carbs aren't high really, so I wouldn't worry about offsetting those, but that if you aren't losing fat at that dietary level, adding some more weekly calorie burn in should help.

Its true that your fats are a little bit on the low side, might want to see if you can drop one of the carb servings for a reasonable portion of almonds or walnuts.

nilebo2

Awards
your carbs aren't high really, so I wouldn't worry about offsetting those, but that if you aren't losing fat at that dietary level, adding some more weekly calorie burn in should help.

Its true that your fats are a little bit on the low side, might want to see if you can drop one of the carb servings for a reasonable portion of almonds or walnuts.
Ok. I'll edit my top post and add in some almonds and drop the mixed vegetables. I'll also scrap the 1 Cup of oatmeal in favor of 3 eggs for breakfast. Add in some olive oil with the rice, or is that counter productive to add fat to a carb?

Thanks for the suggestions.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Adding the fat helps lower the glycemic index, so that's fine.