cardio and weight lifting

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  297 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.35%

cardio and weight lifting

im trying to re-build my strength up and loose alot of the fat i have.

my freind says that doing some cardio during weight lifting is bad and i will burn off muscle not fat.

i start off doing light lifting to get warmed up, hit heavy weight sets, stop lifting do some jog in place, jumping jacks for maybe 3-8 minets with walking in between, then back to weight lifting at lower weights higher reps.

will this type of excercising be bad?

im trying to figure out a plan, any site or information is apreciated since i get confused with this.

2. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.51%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by nes4ever69 View Post
    im trying to re-build my strength up and loose alot of the fat i have.

my freind says that doing some cardio during weight lifting is bad and i will burn off muscle not fat.

i start off doing light lifting to get warmed up, hit heavy weight sets, stop lifting do some jog in place, jumping jacks for maybe 3-8 minets with walking in between, then back to weight lifting at lower weights higher reps.

will this type of excercising be bad?

im trying to figure out a plan, any site or information is apreciated since i get confused with this.
    Your friend has no idea what they're talking about. Combining cardio and resistance training is not bad, nor will you lose muscle mass doing it. You will lose muscle mass if you are NOT eating enough to cover your energy expenditure, but you can do this at anytime, regardless of training.

What you are doing re training is not ideal, however, and unless there is a REASON for it, then leave your cardio pre and post-resistance training.

Since you want fat loss, then I recommend that you read The 3 Keys to Fat Loss - it comprehensively covers nutrition and training for effective and successful fat loss. Apply the principles in that, and you should be fine. If you can't then get yourself a trainer who can and will individualize a nutrition plan and training programme specific to YOUR goals and needs.

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.43%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I agree with the above post. I would suggest doing cardio after you finish lifting. You don't want to drain away any quick energy bursts that you will be needing for heavy lifting.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  297 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.35%

Quote Originally Posted by bikeswimlive View Post
    I agree with the above post. I would suggest doing cardio after you finish lifting. You don't want to drain away any quick energy bursts that you will be needing for heavy lifting.
    that sounds like a plan to me.

thanks for the responses. now to get a diet set better ill be ok.
  5. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.51%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

that sounds like a plan to me.

thanks for the responses. now to get a diet set better ill be ok.
    No worries

You can do that - if not, take the guesswork out of it and get yourself a nutritionist or trainer who can and will.

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  269 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.86%

As Rosie said cardio coupled with resistance training won't "burn muscle" provided you are consuming the correct amount of nutrients. I personally prefer, and recommend if you can afford it, to incorporate some additional BCAA's into your exercise regimen. I always sip on BCAA's during a lifting session and during any type of cardio. Xtend has a great amino profile, and tastes great, albeit its a bit pricey, but well worth it!
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  297 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.35%

i am drinking protein shakes, was using cybexwhey from complete nutrition, ran out so i bought some amplified wheybolic 60 (something like that) from gnc. has bcaa's in it. also bought some assault to.

have made drastic changes to my diet. quit drinking 2-3 one liter bottles of soda a day, not having 3 double cheese burgers a day, and cut my portion's on food way down.

i did get a meal plan from a freind but it is hard to follow right now. since i moved from colorado to missouri i have no job right now and running low on funds. hate to make request for my parent's to buy certain food's while i live with them. focusing on snacking throught the day and lot of protein was suggested.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  269 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.86%

i am drinking protein shakes, was using cybexwhey from complete nutrition, ran out so i bought some amplified wheybolic 60 (something like that) from gnc. has bcaa's in it. also bought some assault to.

have made drastic changes to my diet. quit drinking 2-3 one liter bottles of soda a day, not having 3 double cheese burgers a day, and cut my portion's on food way down.

i did get a meal plan from a freind but it is hard to follow right now. since i moved from colorado to missouri i have no job right now and running low on funds. hate to make request for my parent's to buy certain food's while i live with them. focusing on snacking throught the day and lot of protein was suggested.
    BCAA's are found in all protein rich foods, including all protein shakes. Some protein shakes list their amino profile, while others don't. There are two types of amino acids, essential and non-essential. Essential amino's aren't produced by the body, and need to be consumed from different types of proteins (complete, incomplete). Essential amino acids are metabolized in the muscle tissue rather than the liver and thus extremely important to the muscle recovery, maintaining and building process. Non-essential amino's like Glutamine and Arginine, also aid in the muscle tissue repair process.

Don't drink soda. I occasionally drink say a Diet Coke, or Coke Zero, but this is rare. Keep on chugging the water, it will help you to stay leaner and support more muscle. I like to think of water as being akin to the motor oil that lubricates an engine, the more your engine is properly lubricated, the better it functions. Water is the human body's motor oil, the more ample amounts of water it possess the greater it functions. Besides water is cheaper:-)

Also I know money is tight, but try not to rely solely on protein shakes as a protein source. Eat as many nutritious and protein rich whole foods as you can.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  297 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.35%

protein shakes as a supplement, or snack/meal replacement during the day. im doing a gallon a water a day, give or take.

BCAA's are found in all protein rich foods, including all protein shakes. Some protein shakes list their amino profile, while others don't. There are two types of amino acids, essential and non-essential. Essential amino's aren't produced by the body, and need to be consumed from different types of proteins (complete, incomplete).<-------- that i didnt know.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  297 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.35%

actually one nutrition question to make sure i am on the right path, lets say i have 3 glasses of milk and 1 serving is 14g of protein, so it would be 14x3, a granola bar at 2 and add that up, and the protein shake gets add on top of that. am i looking correctly at that.

i never bothered with counting calories before or bothered with serving sizes. if i knew about the information i know now back in 1999 and 2000 i would have been more of a monster then i was.

Similar Forum Threads

1. HELP!LIFTING&CARDIO WITHDRAWL!!
    By tubbednova in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-17-2011, 06:10 PM
  2. Cardio Before and After Lifting
    By Cubate in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-14-2010, 11:55 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 11:22 PM
  4. Cardio after Lifting?