Strength gains = no muscle lost?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think this is wrong, but I was wondering if if I'm still making gains in the gym during a cut if that means I'm not losing lean mass. The reason I think I could still be losing lean mass is because 1) I'm not taking T and 2) strength is not just a hypertrophic issue but has a neuromuscular/axonal potentiation and fiber recruitment side to it. So I could be maximizing the latter stuff while slowly loosing mass.

In the end it doesn't really matter, since what matters most to me is my strength. I was just curious if strength gains were a sign of not loosing muscle in a cut.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think this is wrong, but I was wondering if if I'm still making gains in the gym during a cut if that means I'm not losing lean mass. The reason I think I could still be losing lean mass is because 1) I'm not taking T and 2) strength is not just a hypertrophic issue but has a neuromuscular/axonal potentiation and fiber recruitment side to it. So I could be maximizing the latter stuff while slowly loosing mass.

In the end it doesn't really matter, since what matters most to me is my strength. I was just curious if strength gains were a sign of not loosing muscle in a cut.
You can continue to make gains in strength when losing bodyfat. Gaining strength does not always mean maintenance of or gains in lean mass - you can lose lean mass (remember that lean mass includes EVERYTHING in your body that is NOT bodyfat!) and maintain or make gains in strength. It is possible that even if you ARE losing lean mass, that lean mass is not muscle, yes.

~Rosie~

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
in simpler terms, yes, it is possibly to get stronger, and loose muscle. it's also possible that you aren't loosing mass.

only way to be sure about something like that is to get a dexa scan.

If you are worried about this, maybe look into using something like 7-spray to help prevent muscle catabolism.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Didn't really want to get into semantics, but I see your point Rosie, and it makes sense.

As for the 7 spray, I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip. I'm not terribly worried about muscle catabolism as much as strength loss. I was just curious.

Anyways thanks for responding guys

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Didn't really want to get into semantics, but I see your point Rosie, and it makes sense.

As for the 7 spray, I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip. I'm not terribly worried about muscle catabolism as much as strength loss. I was just curious.

Anyways thanks for responding guys
No worries :)