Beans As a Carb Source

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
What is everybody's take on eating a lot of beans? It seems to me that they would be really good as they are generally low fat, low GI, and high fiber. The only downsides I can see is that they contain a lot of incomplete protein which would add to overall calories, and are also high in sodium. Right now most of my carbs come from old fashioned oatmeal and shredded wheat.

SCORPIO

Awards
  • Established
What is everybody's take on eating a lot of beans? It seems to me that they would be really good as they are generally low fat, low GI, and high fiber. The only downsides I can see is that they contain a lot of incomplete protein which would add to overall calories, and are also high in sodium. Right now most of my carbs come from old fashioned oatmeal and shredded wheat.
I guess you're talking about can beans since you mentioned high sodium. The high fiber content (i believe) will cause some gas, for some......but yes, really good for the reasons you stated. You could always make your own pot of beans...add desired amount of salt....then freeze the rest in ziploks. Hell, I grew up eating beans and rice.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Nothing wrong with sodium unless you're cutting or trying to keep water off when on AAS.

Incomplete protein sources are fine to eat, that doesn't mean that they won't still be used. Just try and get most from better sources of course. I get 50-60g of protein each day just from all the rice I eat....

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
How about Refried Beans.... Huh Those are Great!! 5 Grms Fiber a Can, I Usually Eat The Whole Thing!! Great Stuff.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
How about Refried Beans.... Huh Those are Great!! 5 Grms Fiber a Can, I Usually Eat The Whole Thing!! Great Stuff.

Yeah, refried beans are the ****, If I could have tacos and burritos all the time I would. :)

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, refried beans are the ****, If I could have tacos and burritos all the time I would. :)
With whole wheat tortillas, mmm... :thumbsup:

AdrenalineRush1

Awards
you could also go with red kidney beans, or garbanzo beans i like to mix them with greens,, very hi fiber, some protein, but very filling

Dan

Awards
If you mix beans /w rice you'll have a full spectrum of aminos since the rice has the aminos that the beans don't and vice-versa. This is what vegetarians do, and I do it too since its a great way to get the most out of the protein in your carb foods.

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
don't forget da' black eyed peas bubbas....

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
Nothing wrong with sodium unless you're cutting or trying to keep water off when on AAS.
Or you're hypertensive, or have a family/personal history of heart disease.

There you go, now you've got the perfect reply Jergo. :thumbsup:

ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday

Is anyone else here puerto rican....pretty much describes out traditional dinner of rice and beans every nite!

Dan

Awards
A lot of traditional diets include some sort of grain mixed with legumes. Its funny how humans have known to do this for thousands of years, even without any scientific reasearch at all.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Lentils are the best bean, from a nutrition standpoint.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I saw a Pea-based protein powder the other day at a nutrition store. Unfortunately it was crazy expensive like 23 bucks for 2-4 pounds.