How can I get rid of love handles?

JoeShtMarine

Awards
I am currently forward deployed to Afghanistan, so my diet is whatever i can get my hands on, I dont eat anything that might be too bad for me, but I'm not exactly in position to be picky. I order Protien from FitnessFirstUSA.com because they are the fastest shipping to deployed Marines. So I do have Syntha-6...my unit has a tent with dumbells up to 120lbs and a Barbell with plenty of weight with a good bench. I lift 5 days a week and cardio for 30 minutes every other day, even on days off. I have had love handles my entire life, it might be hereditary, I just want to get rid of them...can someone point me in the right direction. I appreciate all the help.

jblift

Awards
Diet brah.strictly diet. Im the same way. Just do core work. Card and diet. Rome wasn't built in a day brahh

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am currently forward deployed to Afghanistan, so my diet is whatever i can get my hands on, I dont eat anything that might be too bad for me, but I'm not exactly in position to be picky. I order Protien from FitnessFirstUSA.com because they are the fastest shipping to deployed Marines. So I do have Syntha-6...my unit has a tent with dumbells up to 120lbs and a Barbell with plenty of weight with a good bench. I lift 5 days a week and cardio for 30 minutes every other day, even on days off. I have had love handles my entire life, it might be hereditary, I just want to get rid of them...can someone point me in the right direction. I appreciate all the help.
Love handles are not hereditary - you have them because you have bodyfat to lose, it's that simple. If you want to get rid of them, then lose bodyfat, period.

NUTRITION is the key to fat loss. Then training. Get those two factors right, be consistent, and results will happen.

Review The 3 Keys to Fat Loss for comprehensive advice and information on nutrition, supplementation, and training for effective and successful fat loss.

~Rosie~

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Love handles are not hereditary - you have them because you have bodyfat to lose, it's that simple. If you want to get rid of them, then lose bodyfat, period.

NUTRITION is the key to fat loss. Then training. Get those two factors right, be consistent, and results will happen.

Review The 3 Keys to Fat Loss for comprehensive advice and information on nutrition, supplementation, and training for effective and successful fat loss.

~Rosie~
With all due respect (trust me, there is much respect) you are technically correct and yet also technically wrong Rosie.

Love handles are not genetic in the sense that one is not powerless to get rid of them. It is, as you said, a matter of diet and leaning out.

However, your bodies preferrence for where and how it stores fat and what area's it sheds first or last is genetically influenced.

Sorry if I am splitting hairs, and feel free to correct me if I am inaccurate.

T

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
However, your bodies preferrence for where and how it stores fat and what area's it sheds first or last is genetically influenced.
I don't know if there are any studies to prove that - but anecdotally, what you're saying matches my experience.

I have three brothers - and when we lose fat - we always lose it the SAME way ... it comes off the same locations, in the same order, with about the same level of dieting and effort.

And the only way we lose the love handles is lose the fat everywhere else first - the "handles" are the last to give up the ghost - and they're the first to come back if we fall off the beaten track. I don't measure my BF - I just monitor the love handles - if I can see them even slightly - then I know it's time to regain "focus".

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm definitely going to disagree with you here, since your body does NOT always lose and gain fat from the same places all of the time. For example, a few years ago, whenever I lost fat, I lost it from my lower body first, and then my upper body, but now when I lose fat, I lose it from my upper body and then my lower body, and my fat distribution patterns have changed. Your genetics do not have to dictate an individual's leanness, and blaming the inability to lose fat or where fat is distributed on genetics is just an excuse. And if you're going to go on about somatotypes, that too is not genetic, since one has the ability to change them, and one's somatotype is generally only a snapshot of that individual at a certain point in time. However, that's just my opinion and personal experience, and everyone is entitled to their own opinions and will experience things differently - I stand by the fact that people create their body, and if you have "love handles" then you have done it to yourself, and as you got them, you can get rid of them, simple as that.

~Rosie~

Last edited:

Evil Eagle

Awards
Awesome article, Rosie. I finally got my mom to start going to the gym, so I forwarded your article to her.

Sent from my Android device

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
genetics (you cant change) - some people will NEVER get rid of love handles or below a certain % of bodyfat

diet- if your diet is off, you could end up losing muscle and staying the same bf

training- fasted training (am) supersets, short breaks, and SOME cardio are your friends
(try sprints, think sprinter not marathon runner) you want abs? dont be afraid to step up your training...

supplementation- caffiene green tea ephedra clen amp PEA geranium atd anabolics ect there are plenty of options that can help (although i wouldnt start this until your diet and training are in check)

then of course you could always just go get liposuction

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Awesome article, Rosie. I finally got my mom to start going to the gym, so I forwarded your article to her.

Sent from my Android device
Thanks - I hope she finds it useful and helpful in achieving her goals :)

~Rosie~

schwellington

schwellington

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
im a big guy- just naturally i have thick bones, wide shoulders, thick legs and wide hips

great bodybuilding genetics as i can pack on muscle VERY easily- but can also pack on fat very easily- i have MINOR love handles and im at about 17.5% bf but when i get below 15 they go away

keep working at it

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm definitely going to disagree with you here, since your body does NOT always lose and gain fat from the same places all of the time. For example, a few years ago, whenever I lost fat, I lost it from my lower body first, and then my upper body, but now when I lose fat, I lose it from my upper body and then my lower body, and my fat distribution patterns have changed. Your genetics do not have to dictate an individual's leanness, and blaming the inability to lose fat or where fat is distributed on genetics is just an excuse. And if you're going to go on about phenotypes, that too is not genetic, since one has the ability to change them, and one's phenotype is generally only a snapshot of that individual at a certain point in time. However, that's just my opinion and personal experience, and everyone is entitled to their own opinions and will experience things differently - I stand by the fact that people create their body, and if you have "love handles" then you have done it to yourself, and as you got them, you can get rid of them, simple as that.

~Rosie~
Since when can you change a phenotype? You make a lot of claims in that post that have very little, if any, scientific basis.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Since when can you change a phenotype? You make a lot of claims in that post that have very little, if any, scientific basis.
Sorry, typo - meant to be somatotype and not phenotype (corrected in that post). I probably didn't word it well, but what I mean is that what you are at one point in time is not a true indicator of what your somatotype is. For example, I can have a high endomorphic component at one point in time, and several weeks or months later, that endomorphic component can have decreased and my ectomorphic component be higher than it was. As I said, what somatotype you are is only a snapshot of where one is at THAT point in time, and is by no means stating that "you are this and cannot change it". Not sure I am explaining very well, but hopefully you get what I mean, Ryan.

~Rosie~

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm definitely going to disagree with you here, since your body does NOT always lose and gain fat from the same places all of the time. For example, a few years ago, whenever I lost fat, I lost it from my lower body first, and then my upper body, but now when I lose fat, I lose it from my upper body and then my lower body, and my fat distribution patterns have changed. Your genetics do not have to dictate an individual's leanness, and blaming the inability to lose fat or where fat is distributed on genetics is just an excuse. And if you're going to go on about somatotypes, that too is not genetic, since one has the ability to change them, and one's somatotype is generally only a snapshot of that individual at a certain point in time. However, that's just my opinion and personal experience, and everyone is entitled to their own opinions and will experience things differently - I stand by the fact that people create their body, and if you have "love handles" then you have done it to yourself, and as you got them, you can get rid of them, simple as that.

~Rosie~
Please re-read my post and note that I already agreed with you on that point :)

As to my other point, I stand corrected. However, there is a distinct tendency in my family for fat to be stored on the sides. I know this is anecdotal and not objective, nor am I making excuses. It is just something I have noted. (Damn, did not mean to open a can of worms LMAO)

DYEGYE

DYEGYE

Awards
  • Established
Please re-read my post and note that I already agreed with you on that point :)

As to my other point, I stand corrected. However, there is a distinct tendency in my family for fat to be stored on the sides. I know this is anecdotal and not objective, nor am I making excuses. It is just something I have noted. (Damn, did not mean to open a can of worms LMAO)
I would agree, anecdotally speaking. I have a friend who is close to my stats by proportion (not as tall as me and therefore not as heavy). Until just recently, we were both sitting around 12-13% bf. However, if we would go out on the weekend I would look a lot leaner, because even at that bodyfat I'm naturally vascular in my forearms. At the beach though, I look like a fatty by comparison because I hold almost all my fat on my lower stomach (can see my upper abs) and my chest (almost looks like gyno at times... Never found a lump though) and almost none on the rest of my body, whereas he has a more even distribution of fat.