CKD while doing light-moderate cardio ONLY

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
Ive decided to try doing a cyclical ketogenic diet now that Im not lifting at all due to a recent hernia operation.

My question is, would this be a good idea for me seeing as Im doing no lifting and only light to moderate cardio?

I know I need to adjust my carb-up days according to the amount of exercise Im doing, Im just clueless as to how much adjustment needs to be made.

Im currently on Day 2 of the diet and Ill be the first to admit this is not easy. Because carbs are in absolutely everything!!!

But beyond that, Im also looking for possible encouragement during this time as well as any pointers, opinions, and just general good information regarding CKD's.

Im also tracking my calories and such on Fitday.com (not sure if thats against the rules, so if it is feel free to delete that comment)

Yesterday was a good day. I came in waaay over my protein goal, a little high on calories, but right in the zone of 30g carbs for the day and only a little over on my fats.

After doing the original math, Im looking to stay around:
<30g Carbs/day
~185g Protein/day
~221g Fat/day

So far the hardest part is getting in the appropriate amount of fats regularly cause well...its just a big adjustment.
Im gonna do my best to eat lots of ground meats for the next 10-14days or so.

So if anyone has any pointers for me or basically any info that might be a benefit for me, Please post away. Everything logical will be considered.

Thanks

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Just because you're not doing resistance training does not mean that you have to be extreme with your nutrition. You can still have adequate carbohydrates in your diet - just adjust your caloric levels to your new Maintenance (i.e. light to moderate activity level) and go from there.

Personally, I would lower your fat intake - that's too much fat, no matter if it is "good fat". You'll be far better off having under half that and having carbohydrates!

~Rosie~

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I would lower your fat intake - that's too much fat, no matter if it is "good fat". You'll be far better off having under half that and having carbohydrates!

~Rosie~
So youre saying cut the fat intake to about half of what I calculated and take in more carbs or keep them the same.

On another note, the reason Im trying this keto type diet now is b/c Im not working at the moment which gives me much more control over what and when I eat. Right now I am simply trying to see if I can be discipline enough to even enter ketosis. Plus Im now 12 days post op, however at around 6-8 days post op I was about 7 lbs more than I was the day of surgery. And IMO, gaining weight is unacceptable, but again, that just my opinion. And yes I know I am VERY hard on myself.

Either way, Thanks Rosie for your input. Youre always welcome to chime in on my posts cause I know from reading and such youre extremely knowledgeable in the area of fitness/nutrition.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
So youre saying cut the fat intake to about half of what I calculated and take in more carbs or keep them the same.

On another note, the reason Im trying this keto type diet now is b/c Im not working at the moment which gives me much more control over what and when I eat. Right now I am simply trying to see if I can be discipline enough to even enter ketosis. Plus Im now 12 days post op, however at around 6-8 days post op I was about 7 lbs more than I was the day of surgery. And IMO, gaining weight is unacceptable, but again, that just my opinion. And yes I know I am VERY hard on myself.

Either way, Thanks Rosie for your input. Youre always welcome to chime in on my posts cause I know from reading and such youre extremely knowledgeable in the area of fitness/nutrition.
Yes - far too much fat and not nearly enough carbohydrates. You're selling yourself short if you're not having at least ~100g of carbohydrates, IMO.

If you have more time, then you're better off setting up and trying to keep to a LIFESTYLE nutrition plan, something that you can maintain and adjust as necessary re body goals and needs.

Gaining weight is not necessarily all bad - you have to look at what the weight IS, and the reason for it, and if it's not desirable weight, then treat the cause.

No worries - I'd rather see you do it right and be able to maintain it than not :)

~Rosie~

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
I see what you mean now.

As for this specific diet Im more trying to limit what Im taking in on a daily basis as my activity level has drastically plummeted since the surgery. Plus IMO I feel if I could discipline myself to follow this diet then that'd give me confidence to try a similar cutting diet in the future given I'd be lifting at that time.

Either way, I really appreciate your input Rosie. And youre very right about the lifestyle change. That's what I tell the girls at work all the time.
I guess its time to start practicing what I preach. LOL

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I see what you mean now.

As for this specific diet Im more trying to limit what Im taking in on a daily basis as my activity level has drastically plummeted since the surgery. Plus IMO I feel if I could discipline myself to follow this diet then that'd give me confidence to try a similar cutting diet in the future given I'd be lifting at that time.

Either way, I really appreciate your input Rosie. And youre very right about the lifestyle change. That's what I tell the girls at work all the time.
I guess its time to start practicing what I preach. LOL
Work out what your new Maintenance is with a light to moderate activity level and adjust your caloric intake to suit that.

All good - yes, it is :)

~Rosie~

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
That makes perfect sense. However Im a little up in the air on how to adjust my daily caloric intake according to activity levels. Is there a certain formula to follow or do I just use a CPU and tell it I have light levels of exercise per day?

I use Fitday.com currently, Im pretty sure it has an area where you can adjust your DCI. Would that be a good choice to use?

If anyone else has any pointers on DCI adjustments post away.

And again, big thanks to Rosie for the quick response:)

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
That makes perfect sense. However Im a little up in the air on how to adjust my daily caloric intake according to activity levels. Is there a certain formula to follow or do I just use a CPU and tell it I have light levels of exercise per day?

I use Fitday.com currently, Im pretty sure it has an area where you can adjust your DCI. Would that be a good choice to use?

If anyone else has any pointers on DCI adjustments post away.

And again, big thanks to Rosie for the quick response:)
It's easy to calculate an estimation of your Maintenance calories - you use a formula that takes into account your sex, age, height, weight, and activity level. Some are more accurate than others, but remember that these are estimations, so while this can be used to get starting calories, they should always be adjusted each week based on results. For example, I once recorded EVERYTHING over a 24-hour period (this is not practical, so formulas should be used) and added everything up re Maintenance, and the formulas were out by ~2,000 calories LESS than my actual Maintenance calories, so bear in mind that they cannot take into account absolutely everything, but the primary factors.

Here is one way: Estimating Energy Expenditure Calculation.

~Rosie~

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
Here is one way: Estimating Energy Expenditure Calculation.

~Rosie~
I saw your name, Rosie, in the title so Im wondering, did you make that worksheet yourself??? Cause that thing is very impressive! I like it :) Its very easy to follow as well.

Anyways, I followed the worksheet and got my total kJ needed/ day. It came out to--11510.4

So I did what I believe was the correct conversion to kJ : Calories and ended up with--2740.57
Let me know if it appears Ive made any miscalculation anywhere but judging by only the cals/day result I believe I did it right.

I will use the above amount from this point on and see where my results go with the new values.

Either way, Ive already lost about 10lbs in 2 days, obviously mostly if not all H20 but low numbers make me smile :D

So as always, thanks again Rosie :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I saw your name, Rosie, in the title so Im wondering, did you make that worksheet yourself??? Cause that thing is very impressive! I like it :) Its very easy to follow as well.

Anyways, I followed the worksheet and got my total kJ needed/ day. It came out to--11510.4

So I did what I believe was the correct conversion to kJ : Calories and ended up with--2740.57
Let me know if it appears Ive made any miscalculation anywhere but judging by only the cals/day result I believe I did it right.

I will use the above amount from this point on and see where my results go with the new values.

Either way, Ive already lost about 10lbs in 2 days, obviously mostly if not all H20 but low numbers make me smile :D

So as always, thanks again Rosie :You_Rock_Emoticon:
My name is only in the title because I have I have it on my website - linked in my The 3 Keys to Fat Loss article.

It's something I used when I was doing my degree (there were several calculations we could have used, and this one was the closest in estimating Maintenance, so I primarily used this), and still use with many of my clients.

kJ to cal is kJ/4.2, so yes, your conversion was correct.

That weight will be all food and water weight - it's amazing how much you can lose from that alone.

No worries :)

~Rosie~

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the speedy reply.

I was just going back over the numbers and saw again you said the calculation is for maintenance calories. Am I correct in believing I should aim to stay about 300-500 calories below the 2740cals/day if calculated?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Thanks for the speedy reply.

I was just going back over the numbers and saw again you said the calculation is for maintenance calories. Am I correct in believing I should aim to stay about 300-500 calories below the 2740cals/day if calculated?
There is no reason for you to be below Maintenance if you want to maintain what you currently have.

~Rosie~

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
There is no reason for you to be below Maintenance if you want to maintain what you currently have.

~Rosie~
Gotcha.

However, now that the lbs have begun to fall off, I kinda wanna ride this train till it hits a deadend. But thats just my .02.

I'll keep you informed of how everything works out.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Gotcha.

However, now that the lbs have begun to fall off, I kinda wanna ride this train till it hits a deadend. But thats just my .02.

I'll keep you informed of how everything works out.
Adjust it to suit your goals and needs is all I will say. If you want fat loss, then by all means, start out at ~200 less than Maintenance and go from there, adjusting caloric intake on a weekly basis dependent on your progress.

~Rosie~

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
Adjust it to suit your goals and needs is all I will say. If you want fat loss, then by all means, start out at ~200 less than Maintenance and go from there, adjusting caloric intake on a weekly basis dependent on your progress.

~Rosie~
That's pretty much what Im planning on.

Thanks