quick Keto Diet question

wilsmash4food

wilsmash4food

Awards
I am starting a keto diet this monday after a 3 month (very successful) bulk. I gained 30 lbs and got mongo strong. But, all good things must come to an end. My pants are stretching and none of my shirts fit. The ballistic vest I wear at work is cutting off circulation....anyway I digress. I understand the point that it is absolutely ESSENTIAL to eliminate carbs during Keto. The only real question I have is this-- Is whey protein powder ok to use during your very low carb days? the brand I use has 24g protein per scoop, along with 4g carbohydrates. Im usually taking in between 7-8 scoops per day, so thats roughly 30g of carbs right there. Is this too much? Im on a hectic and weird schedule and eating real food all the time is just not possible.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
I am starting a keto diet this monday after a 3 month (very successful) bulk. I gained 30 lbs and got mongo strong. But, all good things must come to an end. My pants are stretching and none of my shirts fit. The ballistic vest I wear at work is cutting off circulation....anyway I digress. I understand the point that it is absolutely ESSENTIAL to eliminate carbs during Keto. The only real question I have is this-- Is whey protein powder ok to use during your very low carb days? the brand I use has 24g protein per scoop, along with 4g carbohydrates. Im usually taking in between 7-8 scoops per day, so thats roughly 30g of carbs right there. Is this too much? Im on a hectic and weird schedule and eating real food all the time is just not possible.
This all depends on your own body. For myself in ketosis, I would take in about 25g carbs post-workout and it didn't knock me out. But like I said, it's per individual. The only way to really find out is monitor yourself when you're dieting. And there are zero carb proteins like Isopure, although it is bit expensive. ON 100% Whey has 23g protein and 2g carbs which should easily keep you within your range.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Most people as long as they keep total carbs low enough during the day are fine, but as was already pointed out, it's very individualistic. You should be fine; just keep track of the rest of your macros for the day (any carbs from nuts, cheese, etc.). I'd personally try to keep the number of protein shakes down a bit, but I know how it can be sometimes.

Good luck!

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
In my arbitrary opinion, it shouldn't knock you out of ketosis. I say this because i was using the body fortress whey during my keto and its contains a few grams of carbs per scoop.. however, i mixed it with water.

As correctly stated above, it depends on the person. I wouldn't consume too much protein, maybe just a few more grams than your bodyweight (in your case, looking at your profile- approx. 300g), as too much protein consumption can result in glucose production.

Good luck!

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I had a similar issue, too many protein shakes led to too much protein, not enough fat, and the carbs added up.

Try switching around a couple of those shakes to get protein from different sources. Beef Jerky? Another great one I found was half cut avocado filled with tuna salad, loaded on the mayo. Nuts instead of one of those shakes, preferably fewest carbs ones. I made myself omelets the night prior and just snacked on them during the day almost as if they were little tortila wraps (made with cheese and bacon bits).

So there are options for "on the go" snacks that could very well replace many of those protein shakes.

Hope this helps and congratz on the bulk.

wilsmash4food

wilsmash4food

Awards
bla..avocado with tuna??!! you win the prize for most awesome idea ever. Im going to the store right frikkin now. seriously though thanks for the advice guys. after the first day I actually feel pretty good. todays food consisted of grilled chicken thighs (fat and all) and lots of them. lots of veggies with a 100 gram protein shake early morning. netted about 300g of protein with only 40g of carbs. I also downed a 12oz sugar free redbull, only 2 carbs.

wilsmash4food

wilsmash4food

Awards
I also am doing something else a little unique I think, Im running a cycle of Epi along with this diet. IMO its an awesome little steroid that should help me make some gains while cutting the fat. I have high hopes for this one guys.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
bla..avocado with tuna??!! you win the prize for most awesome idea ever. Im going to the store right frikkin now. seriously though thanks for the advice guys. after the first day I actually feel pretty good. todays food consisted of grilled chicken thighs (fat and all) and lots of them. lots of veggies with a 100 gram protein shake early morning. netted about 300g of protein with only 40g of carbs. I also downed a 12oz sugar free redbull, only 2 carbs.
Glad to help. Sounds like you are indeed having some good times with food. God, I love what we can eat while Keto.

A heads up on the sugar free redbull though - I don't know if that was just the diet soda I was drinking (pepsi max mostly) or if it's a constant on every sugar free out there, but the soda was kicking me out of keto BIG TIME while drinking about 2 - 3 a day.

I have since then switched from my regular non carb monster / coke zero / pepsi max to just plain good ol black coffee and then herbal tea for taste drinks. Just a heads up.

Let us know how the epi runs with it, I'm thinking about adding some sort of ph in a little bit and seeing how it runs too.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Its the citric acid in the soda's that may kick you out of keto. It's only true for some individuals so you might be able to get away with it. I was :)

wilsmash4food

wilsmash4food

Awards
I switched to Nestea diet green tea for a little caffine instead of the sugar free soft drinks. Taste pretty good and its a good break from water. Tomorrow will be day 5 on keto and the first time I have been able to weigh and work out (been at a school out of town for work all week.) Im anxious to see if any has come off.

on a different note- would any of you be interested in a log because of the Keto diet with Epistane? I haven't run across one and the log will help me keep up with things.

Silversupra81

Awards
I personally get kicked out with diet soda. Was reading up on insulin management and how some people can be affected by things like diet soda and even whey protein. The blood sugar spike of the whey isolate (I was using NOW brand unflavored). Diet soda was apparently attributed to aspartame... Now, is that to say you will? NO but I personally was, so from now on if I'm doing a keto or ck (what I usually do) I'll stick with real foods, water, and nothing fake... PWO will be lean protein with no fat.. With this strategy I can maintain low body fat without going crazy.

wilsmash4food

wilsmash4food

Awards
Today was back and arms. I had home-made chicken salad (rotisserie chicken, mayo, tabasco and sugar free pickles) for pre-workout meal. weighed in at 276 (down 6 lbs in 5 days.) I felt pretty fatigued in the gym, and it was a pretty grueling workout. strength is still there. 85 gram protein shake after, which means it had about 15g of carbs. Its coming off but I think I am starting to feel the effects of very low carbohydrate eating.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
I personally get kicked out with diet soda. Was reading up on insulin management and how some people can be affected by things like diet soda and even whey protein. The blood sugar spike of the whey isolate (I was using NOW brand unflavored). Diet soda was apparently attributed to aspartame... Now, is that to say you will? NO but I personally was, so from now on if I'm doing a keto or ck (what I usually do) I'll stick with real foods, water, and nothing fake... PWO will be lean protein with no fat.. With this strategy I can maintain low body fat without going crazy.
protein ingestion creates an insulin spike, not a blood sugar spike, unless its filled with simple carbs.

Ive read the studies that say aspartame can "trick" the brain into thinking your body is consuming sugar, but even then you wont get any increase in blood glucose levels. Its also dependent on the individual's sensitivity to insulin spikes.

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
on a different note- would any of you be interested in a log because of the Keto diet with Epistane? I haven't run across one and the log will help me keep up with things.
Yes sir, Id be very interested in a log of this nature. It could be very beneficial to me as Im on day 2 of a CKD and may be running some Estane here in a few more months.

Good luck on the Keto! You sound like youre pretty discipline so you should be ok.

Keep us posted.

wilsmash4food

wilsmash4food

Awards
Sorry for no posts in a few days, been busy. The diet is going well, down to 271 yesterday. I dont seem to be making any strength gains, but I am definitely retaining what I had before the diet started, and I dont believe I am losing any muscle. Fatigue is starting to creep up on me, I have no energy for workouts or my job. Feeling sluggish all the time. Comes with the territory I guess. There has to be a tradeoff for dropping bodyfat this fast.

wilsmash4food

wilsmash4food

Awards
Hey guys. I have had a troubling two days, yesterday I came down with a fever and some sort of stomach virus. I had to call in sick to work (hate doing that) and spent the day on the john. I feel so dehydrated and weak it's awful. I haven't stepped on a scale but I would guess that I lost about 10 pounds today. Hopefully this mess will pass and I can get back to it fairly quickly. To those of you that have done Keto before, is there any chance the drastic change in my diet had anything to do with my sickness?

Adrian0

Awards
What really is a kieto diet . . . ?
Is it a course or something else ?

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
What really is a kieto diet . . . ?
Is it a course or something else ?
A ketogenic diet is basically a high fat/protein, ultra-low/zero carb (<30g per day) diet designed to get your body into a state called ketosis, hence the name ketogenic, or keto for short. In layman's terms, your body will burn fat for energy in ketosis since there is no carbs in the diet.

If you want the full scientific details and jargon about how fat passes through the liver and converts to ketones and whatnot, google is your friend.

Exercise123

Awards
What happens when you fall out of ketosis - does your body convert the carbs immediately to fat, do you get really tired? Do you have to decrease your carb intake slowly going into keto and increase slowly coming out?

spinNinja

Awards
figured I'd post my question in this thread too...

I am also doing the keto diet (SKD), I've heard some varying opinions about this both online and just talking to a few of the guys at my gym...

Do fiber carbs count against you during the keto diet? Adding fiber to at least one shake a day is a must for me, preferably my mid-morning shake.

Some say don't count them in, others say every carb counts. Just curious for some opinions.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
figured I'd post my question in this thread too...

I am also doing the keto diet (SKD), I've heard some varying opinions about this both online and just talking to a few of the guys at my gym...

Do fiber carbs count against you during the keto diet? Adding fiber to at least one shake a day is a must for me, preferably my mid-morning shake.

Some say don't count them in, others say every carb counts. Just curious for some opinions.
I would say, count them, but more losely.

I try to keep under 50g of fiber and I don't get kicked out of ketosis so that works for me, it varies from one to the next.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Did you know that if you are eating veggies, like broccoli, and lots of fiber it will negate the effects of those carbs on the body. You should be fine.

dico31

Awards
im in ketosit at the moment and i always add fiber to my shakes and use flaxmeal.I get ibs so i need fiber in my diet i have read that your body does not digest it thats why its good for your bowels

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Yes, true. Its a great idea. Dave Palumbo recommends it too. Have you tried Macadamia nut oil? It has an excellent fat profile. Check it out. I buy one when i am dieting from Ralphs, but NOW foods and SPECIES nutrition both make a good one.