New Here & Need Advice From Vets

want2lose

Awards
Hello all,

New to this forum and overwhelmed with everything still..

Im 29 almost 30, from Chicago burbs. About 5' 5" weighing 245.6 (last weigh in)

I got skinny ankles and wrists. My thumb and middle finger does not meet when trying to wrap around my wrist.

I started diet back in Dec @ 263 lbs. Eating less ect.

Jan 3rd started daily cardio and week 2 moderate weights (no free weights)

I eat between 1200 to 1400 cal per day total spread out in 3 meals with no snacks. So far, it seems like its working but slowly..

So my gym time is as follows: 1 day Upper body & Cardo. Bicep Curls 3 sets of 10 @ 65lbs. Tricep Press 100 lbs, Chest Press 90lbs, Butterfly 90lbs, Torso Rotation 90lbs, Shoulders / Del 70lbs, Pull Down 90lbs.

Next day lower body at similar amounts of resistance.

I dont want to bulk up. Just trying to lose weight, burn fat but not lose muscle. And, all naturally unless I can find anything safe and side effect free to use (never looked into anything specific yet).

I was considering DermaTherm Target, but have 2nd thoughts since I am pretty fat right now...

Any advice would be appreciated..

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Your lifting routine sucks. "Bulking Up" as you put it, will be determined by how much you eat. At 1400 cals a day, I guarantee you won't bulk up at all, so quite worrrying about that.

Save the machines for assistance/accessory work - i.e. do it at the end of a workout that consists primarily of good free weight movements.

Learn to squat, deadlift, dip, clean and press, bench, chin-up, row and pull-up. Everything else is just gravy. Good, hard movments like these will burn more calories than the machines and activate your abs, core and stabilzer muscles as well, helping you gain strength everywhere.

Additionally, at 1400cals a day, that had better be mainly protein, otherwise you're just gonna lose what little lean mass you have and end up being skinny-fat, which nobody wants.

Hope this helps :)

want2lose

Awards
Exactly the kind of answer I was expecting. Thanks

It's just that my wrists hurt and feel like they will break when I even try free weights. Time to invest in wraps til I get them stronger. Also, I can't do heavy at all. Just not enough strength : /

I guess I'll lay of hiit until my weight training improves.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Exactly the kind of answer I was expecting. Thanks

It's just that my wrists hurt and feel like they will break when I even try free weights. Time to invest in wraps til I get them stronger. Also, I can't do heavy at all. Just not enough strength : /

I guess I'll lay of hiit until my weight training improves.
Work to strengthen your forearms and wrists then. At the end of every workout, do some reverse curls, farmers walks, hammer curls, or anything else that will help with grip/wrist strength.

"Heavy" is subjective - if it feel's heavy to you, then it is heavy. Don't worry about what other people can lift, just focus on doing the best that YOU can.

As you train, you'll gain strength. Pay attention to form and technique - watch youtube videos on the exercises I listed and learn them well. This is easier said than done - there will always be ways to improve your lifting form, but as long as you have the basics down solid, you'll be fine.

No need to ditch HIIT, just use it wisely. You could alternate lifting days with HIIT days, or lift in the morning and HIIT in the evening. Whatever works for your schedule.

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dermatherm is too mild for someone with a significant amount of weight. If you do get a stimulant, try something with a bit for punch.

want2lose

Awards
Well, the thing is that I dont like getting jittery. I used to use the old formula xenidrine when it came out about a decade ago and it did help me lose weight but it made by hyper, jittery and I couldnt sleep good.

I wonder if there is anything as effective without all the negative effects?

CCV3

CCV3

Awards
  • Established
Fix your diet and get on the eliptical.

For you to jump into lifting without checking the diet and cardio is a little backwards.

want2lose

Awards
Fix your diet and get on the eliptical.

For you to jump into lifting without checking the diet and cardio is a little backwards.
I do 30 mins cardio daily with 30 mins weights and eat no more than 1400 calories a day. Lean meats, brown rice, low carb breads, veggies, egg whites and some fruits.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do 30 mins cardio daily with 30 mins weights and eat no more than 1400 calories a day. Lean meats, brown rice, low carb breads, veggies, egg whites and some fruits.
STARVING yourself is NOT the way to get results, especially if you want those results to be maintainable.

Weights are NOT required daily, either.

I highly recommend that you read The 3 Keys to Fat Loss - it contains comprehensive advice and information re nutrition, supplementation (forget about anything but the Basic Staples for now), and training (listen to Nick) for effective and successful fat loss. Check out the articles linked at the bottom of the page as well, specifically The Essential 8: Exercises That Will Get You Ripped!.

I recommend having a training programme (AND nutrition plan - can't forget your nutrition, since that's what is going to make or break your success with fat loss!) written specifically for YOU for your goals and needs. If you can't afford a professional trainer, then take some time out to research and look around, because there is a TON of information on training for fat loss!

~Rosie~

CCV3

CCV3

Awards
  • Established
Either you lift for at least an hour, then hit cardio 30 minutes.
Or
Just do an hour of cardio.

30 minutes of low resistance lifting will do nothing for muscle mass and you would burn more calories doing HIT.

You really need to train harder.

Stop all the brown rice, low carb breads and fruits.
Stick with your lean meats veggies.
I'm not saying go completely keto, but you really should only be carbing up twice a day. Once in the morning and once pre workout. Anymore than that is useless for you and your goals.

want2lose

Awards
Either you lift for at least an hour, then hit cardio 30 minutes.
Or
Just do an hour of cardio.

30 minutes of low resistance lifting will do nothing for muscle mass and you would burn more calories doing HIT.

You really need to train harder.

Stop all the brown rice, low carb breads and fruits.
Stick with your lean meats veggies.
I'm not saying go completely keto, but you really should only be carbing up twice a day. Once in the morning and once pre workout. Anymore than that is useless for you and your goals.
Do you think I should add whey protein shakes to the diet? If so, do I take those also on cardio only days or just lifting + cardio days?

Fat Ass 101

Fat Ass 101

Awards
I think you are overthinking it at this point. Just get going with your cardio and you can add all the extras later. Its a marathon, and while you are at mile marker 1 or 2, you are worrying too much about what comes around mile marker 20. Dumb it down and get on the treadmill.

Good luck

CCV3

CCV3

Awards
  • Established
Do you think I should add whey protein shakes to the diet? If so, do I take those also on cardio only days or just lifting + cardio days?
Whey is always good.
I really wouldn't do more than 3 shakes a day though. That's more than enough along with your lean proteins.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
At this point in the game you might even want to look into MRP's (Meal Replacement Powders) to substitute for a couple of solid meals if you're unsure about your diet. And I say "couple" because you should be eating at least 6 smaller meals throughout the day. Maybe 4 solid meals and 2 MRP's?

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Diet is the key and instead of 3 meals a day id eat 5-6 smaller meals a day it keeps your metabolism going all day keeps your body out of starvation mode so instead of losing muscle you lose fat. Make sure your getting enough cals 1200 is low id be in the 1900-2100 range because dont forget if your training hard your burning cals but with only 1200 your body isnt getting all the calories it needs for daily function.