Bobo,TOO much protein & weak bones.....

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Bobo,

i just read your article on protein where it mentioned too much protein can cause weak bones.....

due to my high protein (low fat, low carb) diet i'm currently experimenting with & the number of niggling injuries i'm getting all of a sudden would you be able to elaborate a bit on this.

the actual diet is working well for fat loss which is my main priority these days.

thanks, Jag

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Well its not my article, just an article I found intersting.

Well the myth goes like this. High protein diets can cause an increase in stress on the kidneys and cause increase in calcium extretions. Now this can happen when the majority of your protein comes from liquid sources and you eliminate a lot of whole foods. THe studies that showed an increase in calcium exctretions used mainly liquid diets. Follow up studies showed that when those liquid diets were replaced with whole food sources the calcium excretions returned to normal levels. As long as you get enough whole foods you should have no problem....

As for those naggin injuries, they can occur more frequently on low carb diets due to loss of water and the fact that your still lifting while under a caloric deficit. In your case since you are low fat AND low carb it definetly could be the cause. That is not a good combo for the long haul as you will experience a good amount of muscle loss down the line. Eliminating one macronutrient from your diet can cause problems let alone two. I'm sure your losing a good amount fo weight though.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
thanks Bobo.

i'm eating mostly eye fillet steak, chicken breasts & thighs, eggs (2 yellows to every 6 whites) & whey (isolate & concentrate blend)

i'm eating a ton of fibre in the form of broccolli, cauliflour & green beans and also have a bowl of All-Bran once a day as well with no-fat milk.
this is keeping me extremely regular.

i also have 2 grams of fish oil 3 times a day as well. 6 grams total.
i thought this might be enough but i might up this to 9 grams. jweave mentioned the other day he was having 20 grams!!!

this is the leanest i've ever been without starving myself & being irritable 24/7!!!

Jag

Rock Lee

Awards
So if you're eating mostly whole foods and take calcium in the form of dairy and MVs, is there anything else to worry about?

I read recently, though I can't find the article again, that too much protein can hinder gains as opposed to help them...anything you can add to this?

I just ask because I eat a lot of protein...~50+ grams each meal (every 2-3 hours) and then additional snacks just whenever I'm hungry...so that thing about eating too much protein hindering gains kind of worried me.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
I experimented with 4 shakes, 2 meals one time and didn't like the results at all. I was losing weight but strength was at an all time low and I felt like **** all day. Nowadays, I get 3 good sized meals with shakes in between averaging at around 500 grams of protein a day and the gym is going great, feel good all day, and I haven't had any injuries since.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
So if you're eating mostly whole foods and take calcium in the form of dairy and MVs, is there anything else to worry about?

I read recently, though I can't find the article again, that too much protein can hinder gains as opposed to help them...anything you can add to this?

I just ask because I eat a lot of protein...~50+ grams each meal (every 2-3 hours) and then additional snacks just whenever I'm hungry...so that thing about eating too much protein hindering gains kind of worried me.

Not really unless you have pre-existing kidney problems.

As for that article, sounds more like myth to me. I don't understand how that is possible.