What does everyone do for post-workout ?

turbolag86

Awards
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. I really like it, and I wish I would have found it sooner !

So, I wanted to ask everyone a question that I always second guess myself on.

Post-workout !

I was wondering what everyone does for their post workout, or what the best post workout combo is.

Here is what I have been doing:
1 scoop (24g) Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein.
1 Banana

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not saying it is the best way to go, probably a bit to low in carbs, but my Post W/O is always 8oz of skim with 2 scoops of Myofusion mixed with 5g Taurine (got into the habit of this due to back pumps when on my last cycle) and 5 mg of glutamine (which I have been reading recently may be pointless.) I drink this in the car on my 45 minute drive home then eat a real meal of lean ham or chicken on Rye with some Swiss, some light yogurt and or cottage cheese and sometimes some pretzel rods (110 cal)

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. I really like it, and I wish I would have found it sooner !

So, I wanted to ask everyone a question that I always second guess myself on.

Post-workout !

I was wondering what everyone does for their post workout, or what the best post workout combo is.

Here is what I have been doing:
1 scoop (24g) Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein.
1 Banana
:welcome: to AM.

As for your question, what's best for one individual is not the best for another - for example, some people avoid carbohydrates post-training, whereas other consume them like there's no tomorrow. I generally recommend at least 30g of protein with at least 50g of carbohydrates (simple and complex, although more simple immediately post-training, to help with recovery) as soon as possible after training, and then have a proper/full meal within ~60 minutes of finishing training.

~Rosie~

turbolag86

Awards
taman6886: I have been hearing that too about Glutamine also.

Usually about 1-2 hrs after training...I will have 2 pieces of Rice Bread, Bores Head Deli Meat, Vaygonaise, and pickles. Or I will have meat and a carbohydrate.

taman6886: How do you keep the milk from spoiling ? I was considering bringing Rice Milk with me and mix it into my ON, but I didn't really want to bring a cooler bag with me.

So what is a general good post workout combo ?

It sounds like I'm ok on the amount of protein, but it sounds like I need to up my simple carbohydrates. What are some good simple carbohydrates to use ? And what amount would be appropriate ?

I'm trying to cut down my weight right now. I'm 240, but I wanna get to about 200 (depending on how I look).

Thanks for the replies and the welcome !

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Protein drink and a banana also or an apple

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Protein shake with milk.... Right after... 35protein 29 carbs... Then 30min later some chicken or meat...

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
taman6886: How do you keep the milk from spoiling ? I was considering bringing Rice Milk with me and mix it into my ON, but I didn't really want to bring a cooler bag with me.
Basically, I pack it in a cooler bag along with my lunch which I stash in the fridge at work. Leave the bag in the car while lifting, which is one of the rare advantages of winter in NW Ohio. :)

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
i go 2 scoops whey, a bananna or 2 and honey

chrisrob05

chrisrob05

Awards
Protein 30+grams and REHYDRATE ASAP.....1QT water to the dome!!!

BigTyler

Awards
1 & 1/2 scoops whey w/ 7 plain unsalted rice cakes (50 grams carbs)

turbolag86

Awards
What does everyone think about Waxy Maize ?

Anyone used it ? I heard it has A LOT of carbohydrates in it.

What are some other simple carbohydrates to consume after lifting that would be effective ?

I have heard berries are a good option. I used to do 8oz of orange juice or apple juice. But I'm trying to lose weight right now and I don't wanna over do it. But of course I don't want to lose any muscle or strength. But I guess I will lose a little.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What does everyone think about Waxy Maize ?

Anyone used it ? I heard it has A LOT of carbohydrates in it.

What are some other simple carbohydrates to consume after lifting that would be effective ?

I have heard berries are a good option. I used to do 8oz of orange juice or apple juice. But I'm trying to lose weight right now and I don't wanna over do it. But of course I don't want to lose any muscle or strength. But I guess I will lose a little.
Waxy maize is fine as a source of carbohydrates.

The best simple carbohydrates is straight dextrose. Otherwise, fruit like bananas, berries, etc,

You're trying to lose weight - you can still eat carbohydrates, and consuming them after training is not going to "overdo" it. Trust me, you can eat a lot of carbohydrates in general and still lose BODYFAT - forget about concentrating on the scale weight, because it is IRrelevant; your BODY COMPOSITION should be your focus.

If your nutrition and training are right for you re fat loss, then you should not lose muscle or strength. If you're following a ridiculous restrictive calorie or next-to-no-carbohydrate diet, then yes, expect to lose muscle mass and strength - otherwise, there is no reason for you to, and fat loss CAN be effective and successful whilst actually EATING and eating carbohydrates!

~Rosie~

turbolag86

Awards
Thanks Rosie. I haven't been able to do a low carbohydrate diet. It makes me too tired and weak. So I eat carbohydrates all throughout the day. I tried one earlier in the year and I just didn't have much strength in the gym and overall I just felt run down.

So I think following a higher carbohydrate diet helps me.

Thanks for the help.

Where do you get straight dextrose ?

drofwarc

drofwarc

Awards
Me I use hydrolised whey with other protein blend 40g with equal amount of NOW carbo gain with 5 grams of glutamine and yeah defiantly a good meal atleast 45 or hour after!!!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks Rosie. I haven't been able to do a low carbohydrate diet. It makes me too tired and weak. So I eat carbohydrates all throughout the day. I tried one earlier in the year and I just didn't have much strength in the gym and overall I just felt run down.

So I think following a higher carbohydrate diet helps me.

Thanks for the help.

Where do you get straight dextrose ?
No worries :)

You should be able to get it from the supermarket in a bulk powders section, or perhaps under supplements or something (not quite sure, since supermarkets here have things in different places than in New Zealand) - just look around or ask.

~Rosie~

jiberish

jiberish

Awards
I eat a potato bun (a bread roll with like mashed potato inside) and then 40 grams of protein.

2xbuns on high carb days :)

I tried alot of different things. Strawberries, bananas, oats, bread, dextrose, powerade. But really I have found it never made a difference.
So I stick with the buns because they are hot fresh and delicious from the bakery under the gym :)

I think the numbers are more important. Reaching your calorie goals.

ruffrhyder

Awards
I like to drink chocolate milk post workout, then have a good meal within the hour.

IronAndBeyond

Awards
At 240lb I go for 1 scoop casein and 2 scoops whey (55g protein) and 3 scoops dextrose (60g carbs). Add to that 10g l-glutamine, 5g creatine (if cycling) and 10g of BCAA. Quite a lot I know, but IMO post-workout nutrition is the equal most important meal of the day.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Use both VPX Synthesize and Universal Torrent Zero, very much looking forward to trying muscle feast's upcoming post workout formula with CN.

n87

Awards
  • Established
1 Tbs of honey flushed with 30g of protein mixed in water. I might also chew a
Vitamin C wafer for cortisol.

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
Protein shake with milk.... Right after... 35protein 29 carbs... Then 30min later some chicken or meat...
This is very similar to mine although it may be a full meal along with the tasty dead animals.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
2 scoops of vanilla whey mixed with OJ. I hop in the shower then eat anything and everything in sight. I'll try to take in at least 1000 cals in my PO meal if I can.

Jericho22

Awards
Vanilla creme protein power + cranberry juice + frozen mixed berries and a little bit of ice in the magic bullet makes a delicious smoothie. Sometimes I have a banana or an apple with it if I feel like it.