Bodyfat questions

  1. New Member
    maddog28's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    292
    Rep Power
    207
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    10.74%

    Bodyfat questions


    Around what bodyfat do you need to get to untill you can see a six pack..and also how do u get the abs that stick out?

  2. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    47
    Posts
    31,888
    Rep Power
    852765
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    49.85%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    generally somewhere below 10%, but its very individual. some guys have 6 packs at 9%, some don't see it till below 6. the abs that pop out is more a genetic thing from what I can tell.
  3. Diamond Member
    MidwestBeast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,065
    Rep Power
    3206759
    Level
    80
    Lv. Percent
    38%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    generally somewhere below 10%, but its very individual. some guys have 6 packs at 9%, some don't see it till below 6. the abs that pop out is more a genetic thing from what I can tell.
    Exactly what I was going to say.

    It depends on how much muscle you've got built up for those abs and how your bodyfat is distributed, too. I lifted abs hard and mine would pop out like I was in 300, but I was no where near that low of a bodyfat.

    But the rule I always had heard was <10%, as Easy said.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
    •   
       

  4. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  120 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,189
    Rep Power
    493836
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    53.42%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by maddog28 View Post
    Around what bodyfat do you need to get to untill you can see a six pack..and also how do u get the abs that stick out?
    "It's very individual" - Eric said it right.

    For males, anything in single digits would work, generally ~8% bodyfat (depending on one's height). For females, this varies so much - I personally can't see my 6-pack until I'm ~8% bodyfat, whereas other women can see it at 12-15% bodyfat.

    Other factors come into play as well, such as height (taller people are going to look leaner than a shorter individual at the same body composition), genetics (some people simply cannot get a 6-pack), how much muscle mass you have in your midsection (the more muscle you have there, the more likely you will see it at lower body compositions).

    If you want your abs to "stick out", you need to make sure you build up the deep grooves, and this happens from doing weighted exercises for them. In saying that, not everyone who does that is going to have them either, since, as already stated, genetics plays a large factor in what your abs actually look like once you are lean and have built the muscle mass up there.

    ~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  5. Senior Member
    bashman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,213
    Rep Power
    1499
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    72.53%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Chee Scott View Post
    "It's very individual" - Eric said it right.

    For males, anything in single digits would work, generally ~8% bodyfat (depending on one's height). For females, this varies so much - I personally can't see my 6-pack until I'm ~8% bodyfat, whereas other women can see it at 12-15% bodyfat.

    Other factors come into play as well, such as height (taller people are going to look leaner than a shorter individual at the same body composition), genetics (some people simply cannot get a 6-pack), how much muscle mass you have in your midsection (the more muscle you have there, the more likely you will see it at lower body compositions).

    If you want your abs to "stick out", you need to make sure you build up the deep grooves, and this happens from doing weighted exercises for them. In saying that, not everyone who does that is going to have them either, since, as already stated, genetics plays a large factor in what your abs actually look like once you are lean and have built the muscle mass up there.

    ~Rosie~
    Sorry, I totally disagree with that statement.
  6. Senior Member
    swollen87's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,765
    Rep Power
    2722
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    35.69%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    ^ anyone can get a six pack... with time diet and hard work... some people cant get them because wont put that effort in

    personally my six pack is visible with about 10-12% bf...but, my brother, who is almost a clone of me... cant see his abs until hes under 8%

    to get those abs that stick out.... think hypertrophy... they are muscles..... theyll grow

    massive amounts of cardio isnt guna get you a six pack unless you have your diet in check...
  7. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  120 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,189
    Rep Power
    493836
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    53.42%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by bashman View Post
    Sorry, I totally disagree with that statement.
    I should have reworded that - some people's genetics, especially if they do not have the muscle mass in their midsection, will not give them the look of a 6-pack, even if they get as lean as all hell.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Bodyfat ??
    By Pika in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 02:39 PM
  2. 11% to 7% bodyfat
    By CrazyChemist in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 03:02 PM
  3. Getting rid of the bodyfat
    By Bodybuilder20 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-09-2009, 02:08 AM
  4. PHs and Bodyfat
    By redfrick in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-19-2005, 07:39 PM
  5. Bodyfat % ??
    By belbs75 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-27-2003, 02:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in