StupidThyroid's "Holy $hit I have a ton of weight to lose" Log

StupidThyroid

Awards
So this is more for ME to write down and look at and SEE in text. I VERY much welcome anyone to chime in here. While I usually am extremely motivated and dedicated. I welcome more of it!

Background:

I am 30yr old hypothyroid, 6'0 300lbs (Jan 1 2011). I was diagnosed in 2002 and it took a few yrs to switch meds/get my thyroid back to normal levels. All the while I gained a LOT of weight. By 2008 I was 300lbs, and knew I had to get re-dedicated to the gym. I am a former athlete and lifted weights in HS and college. At my best I was 190lbs benching ~300lb. Since 2008, I have been trying to lose weight the natural way, diet + exercise. Unfortunately my endocrine system is a mess, and then coupled with injuries this has been a nightmare. I have not gained any additional weight, but have not lost any either. In late 2010 after a shoulder injury had been (somewhat) healed and ready to lift again, I decided I want some supplemental help. This is when I found AM. :)

So here's the ongoing health issues. Thyroid disease as mentioned prior, I am on Armour Thyroid and stable and happy. Also like most overweight people, my liver is fatty and my liver #'s are not good. Also have shown to have high corisol #'s, so much so they tested me for cushings disease. Also had a test a few yrs back where my doc said my test was low for my age, offered to put me on stuff, i declined. Maybe I should have? Also I have bad shoulders from years of football. So Hormonal stuff + some joint issues. Nothing we can't figure out right? :p

So I'd like to roughly use 100lbs of fat, and add some muscle. I know my frame is large and I can be ~225 or so and be fine. This is a long term goal, I know this isnt going to happen in 6 months or even 12 with my ****ty genes/endocrine system. I am in for the long haul, all I want is slow/steady progress.

I have a good ammt of muscle to start with (Most people say I look like a football player, I say I look like a retired football player who took to drinking LOTS of beer lol)

Here is what I need to work on:

I NEED to do fasted morning cardio. I am a night person, this is tough. I will get this done.

I NEED to control my cortisol (especially with morning cardio).

I NEED to eat more. Yes this sounds odd from a fat guy, I am very busy and only get 1800-2K cals a day. With 300lbs I need to be eating more.

I NEED to eat more protein. Also with this frame, I need to make a good bulk of my cals from protein & good fats

I NEED to watch my carbs. Obviously ;)

Here's the plan:

Currently I am working out 6 nights a week, 45mins weights + 45mins cardio, going to add 30mins morning cardio at least 3x week at first, as I get used to it, maybe increase to 5 or 6, and increase length. I am really dedicated with working out, cept the morning cardio. Gotta fix that.

Diet will be 6 small meals a day hitting my caloric/macronutrient goals. I am really dedicated with diet. I do 1 cheat meal per week, and usually its never too bad either. I dont keep snacks around the house, I haven't had fast food in over 5yrs. I generally enjoy eating healthy. 1 achilles heal is pizza, that's usually my cheat meal. 3 slices at 1 meal per week, my only cheat meal. But I am willing to even cut that out if necessary. When I crave sweets, I just mix a protein shake.

I have at least a 5 month plan laid out for what I will be focusing on (granted no reinjuries, those damn shoulders!) with specific supplements to be used during them.

Jan - I will be focusing on initial fat loss, getting the morning cardio routine going, building my endurance. Weights will be done, but not a major focus.

Feb - March: Weights will be more a focus as I am going to be adding some supplements that this will benefit. We'll call this a lean bulk.

April - May: back to focusing on fat loss again. All strength/muscle gained in prior 2 months will try to be maintained.

June - unsure yet, I vacation in July so I don't want to do a 2 month stack of anything, so we shall see. I can always make this initial month 2 and push everything forward. It's an option.

Supplements:

Due to all the research I've done, and sales this season, I have stocked up for a while!

Staples:
Orange Triad, Fish Oil, Sesamin, CoQ10, ALCAR, ALA, Vit C, Green Tea, Cycle Support, Toco-8, Liv52, Cissus bulk 5%, Joint Force

For Jan, I am using Lean Xtreme + Genomyx Heat (I call this my Lean Heat stack), and some DMAA occassionally. I need a cortisol controller as mentioned, and I definitely need some help burning some fat! I take 3g of carnitine + 500mg of Choline & Inositol PWO, since this gets me sweating so good. I also sip (chug!) Xtend during my workout.

For Feb, I am carrying over the Lean Xtreme + HEAT (maybe? or maybe cycle off) and adding in some ERASE. This should lower the cortisol real good, and boost my test a bit while controlling cortisol. Will be adding a pre-workout into this, still havent decided yet. Protein intake will be KEY here.

For March, similar to Feb, cycling off XTREME, thinking of adding Titanium with Erase and really focus on gaining some muscle. Have some recompadrol I can add to this also. Also have some HGHpro + Ghenerate I can use for a few months

For April, Back to fat burning! Endoamp max is planned, with another fat burner, maybe OEP this time and maybe adipose annihilation on top of that.

May - June - still up in the air, will decide as I get closer. I have more lean xtreme, so could run that again and i have some triazole i kinda wanna try too! who knows yet!

So happy I typed this out, helped sort everything in my head. This is very long, whoever read it, cheers to you!

TL;DR version - Fat guy with a thyroid & endocrine issues trying to lose weight, thinks he has a plan.

Comments welcome!

I'm thinking of also putting up a blog for weekly entries, and I'll mirror them here. I'm too busy during the week to do all this stuff then actually right about it the same day.

Fat Ass 101

Fat Ass 101

Awards
That is a lot of supplements but that is coming from a fat guy with no plan. Best of luck.

sub'd

StupidThyroid

Awards
That is a lot of supplements but that is coming from a fat guy with no plan. Best of luck.

sub'd
The staples are gen health really, and as i mentioned, i had done this with no aid, just solid diet and working out and made lil progress. there are 1-3 supps to help with each phase/cycle aside from the staples, which i dont think is too crazy. Gotta remember to cycle stuff so there is stuff in between so I can keep going. ie) lean xtreme 2 months on, 2 months off. during 2 months off, bridge in something else. With the med issues I have, I can use the damn help! For the past 2 yrs, I was doing this with just the gen health stuff and carnitine preworkout. I really think getting the right calories in + adding that morning cardio while controlling my cortisol is going to make the diff.

Get a plan together man, can't get somewhere if you don't know where you are you going! I'm sure people here including myself would be able to help. While I may be overweight, I understand this stuff quite well.

StupidThyroid

Awards
I don't plan on doing daily updates, but since this is my first day on my first stack (ds lean xtreme + genomyx heat which i will call lean heat stack from here on in) I wanted to make some notes.

I took as completely directed by the bottle. With the Lean Xtreme I knew to expect to feel not much, and didn't. But surpising, I didn't feel much from the HEAT either. I am going to keep on recommended dose for a bit, but I am curious if because I am 300lbs, I may need a slightly higher dose. I expected some warmth, but maybe it's a cumulative effect, so we shall see.

I didn't get a morning workout in today, cuz everyone was doing their new years resolution workouts. Hope that don't last. Tried to go down 2x (we have a gym in my building with a few treadmills) and couldn't get one. Ended up just going for a long walk. Better than nothing, I plan on starting the real morning cardio on Monday before work. And just now I am finishing my night workout, did shoulders/tris and 45 on the treadmill. Day 1 of a new, long journey. Protein shake time. Thanks for reading.

StupidThyroid

Awards
Alright, working on my macronutrients/caloric needs for my current weight. I am using livestrongs calculator, so I am not sure if that's going to work. But it's a good starting point. I have set as a sedentary lifestyle because other than my 2hrs @ the gym, i sit at a freaking desk most of the time. I do some walking midday, but not enough to count in my book. So I am looking at 2800cals/day goal to lose 1lb/week It had me set at 2400 cals a day to lose 2, but I know when I eat that amount I don't lose, I feel like my metabolism is crap so I want to bump it up a lil. Honestly I have no problems eating 2 protein shakes and 1 meal per day, I am never very hungry. So my metabolism is in the crapper.

So at 2800, I am saying at minimum 300g protein a day for my size. This gives me 1200 cals, and I want to keep carbs low, but how low. I am starting with 200g and can adjust if needed, this leaves 88g of fat. Looks like I am going to need some MCT oil or olive oil for my shakes!

I definitely want comments on this. This is completely rough, maybe bump the carbs down to 150 or 100 and increase protein intake (holy crap that's a lot of protein)

Either way this is more food than I am used to eating, so it will be a slow adjustment. My first goal will be to get the morning cardio into the routine, nailing the diet down will be phase 2.

Summary
Cals: 2800
Protein: 300g
Carbs: 200g (Complex carbs)
Fat: 88g (Sats as few as possible outside of MCTs)

Thanks in advance for any comments on this breakdown

Fat Ass 101

Fat Ass 101

Awards
Get a plan together man, can't get somewhere if you don't know where you are you going! I'm sure people here including myself would be able to help. While I may be overweight, I understand this stuff quite well.
That is why I am sub'd. Trying to learn from the masters. I gave it a go a couple years ago for the first time in my adult life, enjoyed success, got greedy, then got lazy when lbs didn't continue to melt off with little to no effort.

Now, I'm climbing back up on the horse, knowing how she bucks, I should be better prepared this time. I do not understand the supplements, hell, I don't understand half the terminology on this board. What I do understand, is the support system and that is why I came back, albeit with my tail between my legs. Again, I don't really understand the supplements, but I don't think I am anywhere close to needing to understand them to be honest. I just wanted to see how other 300lb guys deal with it and how they find success. If something works, I may try to emulate, but right now, it is just research.

Looking forward to keeping up with your progress.

StupidThyroid

Awards
I would agree, most big guys are big for a reason either being excess food consumption, not enough activity or a combo of both. I know I am fat because of my endocrine issues, so I have decided to go war with genetics, I already wasted years of doing it naturally to no success. Though I have helped others with diet and it works for them w/o supplements.

I definitely agree with most, step 1 is get that diet squared away, step 2 get your workouts squared away. Do this for a while, then decide where you need supplemental help.

But I definitely believe in staples. You should be on a multivitamin, you should be taking fish oil, if you're big like us, your liver also likely needs help also. I'd jump on that right away. Nutraplanet has a sale on Orange Triad right now $20 for a really good multi. and if you do place an order there, may as well grab some super epa and liv.52. I think that's a solid base for anyone, not just people trying to lose weight.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Here is what I need to work on:

I NEED to do fasted morning cardio. I am a night person, this is tough. I will get this done.

I NEED to control my cortisol (especially with morning cardio).

I NEED to eat more. Yes this sounds odd from a fat guy, I am very busy and only get 1800-2K cals a day. With 300lbs I need to be eating more.

I NEED to eat more protein. Also with this frame, I need to make a good bulk of my cals from protein & good fats

I NEED to watch my carbs. Obviously
You've put a lot of info in this thread - props. I can't address it all so I thought I would start with your NEEDS. (BTW Ive been on T4 for 3 months so far; starting to feel normal again.)

You do not need to do fasted AM cardio to lose fat. I could see someone making the argument when trying to get to say 5%bf from 8% but not in your case. If it doesnt fit with your schedule or bio-rhythms then just do it some other time of day.

Cortisol control comes from balancing nutrition, exercise, and recovery. Don't fall into the trap of using supps to control it.

You do not need to eat more. I bring this up because your statement is ambiguous. You need to eat the appropriate amount of calories for your goals. IMO far too many people are given advice that their fat loss has stalled because they are eating too few calories. At 6' 300lbs and training 6 days per week I think it is highly unlikely that you would not be losing weight (yes you would be burning a fair amount of muscle but the scale would still be dropping). Bottom line is if the weight is not dropping on the scale and you are not feeling tired and losing significant strength in the gym then you are probably not in a calorie deficit (ie you are eating too many cals). Time to recheck your food accounting. FWIW, at your stats I think 2lbs/wk is very achievable.

You neither NEED the bulk of your calories to come from Protein and Fats nor do you need to 'control' carbs anymore than other macros. You can lose just as much FAT on a high carb diet as you can on a low carb one. Use what you prefer but don't get conned that you have to do it a specific way.

HTH

StupidThyroid

Awards
Thanks for the insight. My strength in the gym can't be gauged just yet since I have been injured for a bit, my shoulder is just now getting to the point where I can hit weights lightly, we'll see what kind of strength I gain when I can devote a few months to actual lifting. Cissus has really helped so far and the joint force has been icing on the cake.

I do probably need to eat more, I am looking back at the last 12 months. I was averaging about 1800 cals a day, for my size clearly not enough. I wasn't lifting due to injuries but I was doing cardio. No Loss, I will be increasing the cals mostly protein + good fats. and we'll see if that makes diff. I know I start to lose when I am lifting, eating enough and doing cardio. I had lost 20lbs ~2yrs ago before injury so I am working myself back to that.

I know I can lose weight just by calories in less than calories out, however I do want to put muscle on in this equation, so I do want my calories to be protein. I will be lifting to expend calories, so it only makes sense to do it this way in this situation.

I want to do the morning cardio for a few reasons. a) a challenge to myself to see if i can do this. b) rev that metabolism early. c) love the endorphin rush, helps me get more done. While I love the night workouts and would love to stay with them solo, I think it's time for a change and look forward to the challenge.

Also I added to my TL;DR that I do have a thyroid prob and have been tested for excess cortisol levels, so that my assumptions aren't just out of nowhere.

I appreciate the time you spent, I know the original post is long as hell :)

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Look up bodpod... It's testing for your Base Metabolic Rate (the amount of calories that your burns a day) and your bodyfat. If you can get this information you will have an easier time reaching your goals.

Knowing your bodyfat (or approximate... even if youre like "well im just really big") is important because you subtract the lbs of fat from your total body weight and that gives you an idea of how much lean mass you are feeding. Protein preserves lean mass, so knowing how much lean mass you have is crucial so that youre not low on protein or consuming too much and wasting it.

You DO NOT need cardio for fat loss. Despite of what anyone tells you, it is not CRUCIAL to losing fat. Diet manipulation is where it's at. If you are taking in less calories then what your body burns a day at rest, then you WILL LOSE WEIGHT.

Consume food throughout the day to reach your caloric needs, not to "kickstart your metabolism" (the whole small meals more times a day does not make you speed your metabolism) it simply reduces cortisol, and keeps your body anabolic, which is the main goal in losing fat. You want to burn fat, not muscle.

Your workout routine should consist of a set training split, with a routine that is consistent. Diet and recovery are more important then training, but you need to train hard, and make sure you are doing balanced workouts with proper form. Dont stay at the gym for 6 days a week, you'll over train. Start with a 3 or 4 day split and do moderate to heavy weights and compound movements. Compound movements trigger more fat loss then isolation movements, help increase strength and hit more muscles.

Check out a diet tracker website or application. Invest in a food scale. Learn about macro nutrients and break your diet into macronutrients and start at the BMR (stated above) and cut calories from there. Cut carbs first, fats second, and proteins last. Healhty fats=/= fat gain. They have more calories though, so you do need to learn more about macros so that you know how to balance your intake from the three categories.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Oh and you dont need any supplements to help you lose fat. If you already bought them, save them until you start seeing progress in the mirror. Remember that the scale can throw us off mentally, and what matters is your size, not your weight. Your pants start to fit looser and your weight stays the same, that is fat loss. Dont get discouraged and dont be afraid to indulge every couple of weeks. Cheat meals are NOT a necessity like some say, but they keep you motivated to get back on track. The only type of "CHEAT" that is beneficial is a carb load (on carb cutting diets like ketosis) but they are not technically cheat meals. They are a part of the diet.

best of luck to you in 2011 and for the long run. This is a change of your lifestyle.

StupidThyroid

Awards
Thanks for the replies SouthernCharm

Most of this was known/understood. But I appreciate the time spent anyhow. Most of what you said is pretty much covered in my posts, but they are long, so I understand you not seeing them. I should probably also preface this isn't my first time to the party, back in college with proper research, and a proper thyroid (lol) I was able to get myself to quite a lot of lean mass with a lot of smart work. Knowledge is power in this, and everything in life. I know this well.

Only note, is with the 6 nights a week training, I am doing 1 bodypart per night + cardio. Which after this shoulder injury I know won't be overtraining So I will stick to that and maybe drop down to 3 day splits once I feel confident I can move to that.

And this won't be much a lifestyle change, I already eat healthy as hell and workout consistently, this will be tweaking those good habits to work in my favor is how I am looking at it. ;)

nilebo2

Awards
I am in the same boat as you StupidThyroid! I am 34 years old and also found out that I was Hypothyroid back in 2002. I am 5'8" and back then tipped the scales around 240lbs.. Once starting on Synthroid, my weight dropped dramatically and without much effort I got down to 190lbs.. A couple years ago I pushed it further and got down to a healthy 170lbs., but changed jobs and thus changed my focus and went back to 190lbs.. I look to get back down to 170lbs, but really just want to maintain a healthy lifestyle can just come naturallyl. I know that my biggest hurdle will be to cut back on alcohol. A comprehensive exercise plan will help to deal with the stresses of life. I am pretty sure that alcohol is why I gained the last 20lbs..

I will be watching this log to compare progress. It's cool to see that I am not the only person with hypothyroid. It really can be dealt with. Good Luck!

StupidThyroid

Awards
That's a hurdle a lot of people struggle with man. I wish you the best. I was never a big drinker in the past, I had quit in college when I got really dedicated to bodybuilding and never went back. Feeling good feels so much better than feeling drunk to me.

Yeah us thyroid guys, we are a rarer bunch, especially being younger. Any support forum you see is mostly menopausal women. Not much to relate with there.

On a side note my week 1 went well. I didn't feel a need to post yet. I stayed low carb and maintained the protein I wanted all week. Only cravings I had happened on the weekend and was able to curb them. Workouts have been very focused since I am doing 1 bodypart a day then cardio, I am able to really pour it on to that 1 area and hit it very hard. Cardio is icing on the cake for me. I really enjoy it, and that runners (fast walkers?) high lasts for so long. Week 1 down. 51 to go.

:)

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
Being a thyroid sufferer as well and having it under control is hard, I was once 278, standing at 5'11 I am now 145, typically and I hit the gym everyday.... I have a odd working shift so for me I hit the gym before bed, midnight, cardio is a great way to boost your metab as you sleep....all depends on what works for you.....

Your right about needing to eat more, that was always my issue, how is it that a fat person needs to eat more I always asked myself that, than I realized little meals, snacks if you will......

Dont give up, good luck and anything you need, pm... I dont check the boards often but I do swing by once in a while.......

TC

StupidThyroid

Awards
Thanks for the support. I've got my meals up, and I am thinking metab is up, since I am def more hungry more often, I think this is a good sign. Diet I am doing pretty damn good, and workouts are consistent. At this point it seems like time + consistency is what I am waiting on. I feel slight but slow changes, so we shall see!

My shoulder tendinitis has been flaring up, may have to resort to dropping weights for a week or so, but we'll see. Got some Skeletal Balm to try, on top of some osteosport and joint force.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the support. I've got my meals up, and I am thinking metab is up, since I am def more hungry more often, I think this is a good sign. Diet I am doing pretty damn good, and workouts are consistent. At this point it seems like time + consistency is what I am waiting on. I feel slight but slow changes, so we shall see!

My shoulder tendinitis has been flaring up, may have to resort to dropping weights for a week or so, but we'll see. Got some Skeletal Balm to try, on top of some osteosport and joint force.
Thats a heck of a joint stack. Let me know how it works lol.. I have nasty tendonitis in my left arm and in my right shoulder. Thank god it hasn't flared up but heck with my luck it just might soon.

Great job on the slow, steady progress. Thats where its at man. Nothing drastic and fast ever lasts long. As long as you keep updating this, I'll stay posted for new updates!

P.S. addition fishoil is great for the joints bro. make sure you get that in your diet. :147:

StupidThyroid

Awards
I am taking 2g krill oil a day (nsi krixanthin), and 6g of good fish oil everday (now super epa) (Just added the krill, been taking the Super EPA for about 4yrs during my natural approach to losing weight which failed lol). It's been easy to drop $ with all these sales, but investments in health are no problem with me at all. If i'm not healthy and happy, what good is my $ anyways? ;)

Anyhow, the skeletal balm has been the newest addition and so far I love it. I really am excited to see what it can do long term. Lots of great stuff in the n2bm lineup I am looking forward to some day trying.

Had a cheat night tonight, mostly boneless wings, protein sure but holy hell a lot of fat. Feeling guilty, but my psyche needed it, can only have so much chicken and brown rice + protein shakes etc. Figured I could justify it.

I already feel a need to change up the routine a bit. Since I am doing weights everynight (just 1 body part) it's getting hard to get amped for each. It may be time to do the 3 day split with cardio days in between. Decisions to be made!

Works been tough too, gotta get my sleeping down. I don't do well on 7hrs.

Tonight I sleep like a champion. I hope ;)

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
well when youre gonna have something high fat that day, cut out some of the carbs for the day to balance out your total calories so that you dont end up way over where you have been. I think you're doing great and you deserve whatever you wanna eat to get you mentally focused back on your diet plan. A cheat meal has no purpose really other than to psych us out and offer a little bit of change, but mentally it can go a long way.

Thanks for choosing N2BM products bro. EVery single one I have tried I loved. The only one I have a love hate relationship with is our Better Protein bars and that's only cuz the pan is gone between me and my girlfriend in no more than 2 days hahaha...

Anyway, keep up the good work and enjoy those wings.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I agree you need a "cheat" day , even years later mine is and always will be some sore or pizza/calzone!!! whole wheat and fat free cheese in the mix but to my mind it's still a cheat day :)

TC

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
Late in. Keep us posted! Sounds like a solid plan. I lol'd at your name by the way.

StupidThyroid

Awards
Haha, seems like people are liking the name, it's true though, mine is stupid :p

This week I have been off my game, we had a crazy security audit at work and prep for it etc last week hurt a bit too. Less sleep, workouts less intense, and diet not as perfect as I'd like it. With me, when not perfect, I undereat, don't get enough protein and my body hates it, I can tell.

Trying to correct things for tomorrow (Thursday)

On the upside, I am bringing a tub of protein to work (Trutein I love you), & shaker cup. This will help with the undereating when I get caught up and cant grab a meal. I am the #2 guy here, so a lot comes down on me. Not an excuse, just becomes hard to get in the proper nutrition when everything around you needs you ALL AT ONCE ALL THE TIME! :p

Sorry, needed to vent a bit there. haha

StupidThyroid

Awards
So just an update so people know I'm around and still at it. Yesterday was a day I realized things were happening. I ended up having to go to a new notch on the belt. This was a nice small accomplishment. It means things are working, and trust me, nothing has worked for a long time, so this is huge.

It is slow progress, but at this point, I am any progress is great. Slow and steady is fine with me, time goes by so damn fast, I'll get where I want eventually.

January was a good month, it got me into new routines and me ready to start lifting heavy. So February is off to a great start. I am doing 3 day splits now. I like this so much more, the day between weights workouts give my muscles time to recover and joints to rest. I am doing cardio in between, which is much needed. So I am still at 6 days a week, and I like this, I like many of you love the gym and even making no progress in years, I still enjoy being there and the endorphin rush.

Diet has been usually great, I can pick a day here and there I coulda been better. But the longer I go, the more motivation I get to clean it up even more.

Supplements I have changed up a bit. Realizing I want to do a DS stack of activate+triazole+lean xtreme in apr/may/june. I pushed titanium and erase into February, A week into this and NO side effects except (maybe placebo) strength gains in the gym. All my staples are still the same, I am making my own pre-workout now though which also could be contributing, waxy maize + aakg + beta alanine + citruline malate + krealkyln + glutalyn (i dont like caffeine)

Previously having size, I can see some of my muscle coming back, I never had probs gaining muscle, I know how to train and eat, so never an issue there. It's nice to see some old muscle back, and I know that will help with the fat loss.

This is where March comes in. I am considering taking the help of a stim finally, OxyElite Pro and EndoAmp Max for cortisol control.

Oh also, for post workout, I am using a scoop of oats + whey now (optimum nutrition) + wheyology.

So far so good, just concerned about my carbs still. I am trying to keep them only around weights workouts, pre/post. and then 1 other meal a day. My goal right now, and I may need to drop it, is 150g carbs on weights days, and <100g a day on cardio days. Thoughts?

Anyhow, that's my update for now.

TL;DR - Things are going well, but slow! Diet is good, but could be great. Workouts are SOLID.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice update, grats on the progress. Keep rolling my man, keep rolling!

StupidThyroid

Awards
Everytime I look in the mirror and get that blah feeling, I just say, slow and steady, slow and steady. 1yr from now it'll be better. It helps.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
Slow and steady is right. The best way is the slow way. Glad you have the commitment man.

No comment on the carb amount. I suck at weight loss and don't wanna give some off the wall advice.

ALLLOut

Awards
First post, Hi..

Just want to add my 2 cents here. Im Hypo, and on levothyroxine, ANY fat burners, will ruin your blood results. I was on Meltdown, and went from 4 reading to 250 in like 3 weeks time.

Be sure to NEVER miss a dose of meds, and drink alot of water bro..

And cycle it, like 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. Im keto, and the fat is finally starting to come off..

14 years hypo,

Great luck on your goals Brother

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So far so good, just concerned about my carbs still. I am trying to keep them only around weights workouts, pre/post. and then 1 other meal a day. My goal right now, and I may need to drop it, is 150g carbs on weights days, and <100g a day on cardio days. Thoughts?
really the how much carbs you have is mostly a bunch of nonsense. you can lose fat at 400g of carbs a day, depending on how the rest of your diet is structured and your source of carbs. Twinkies - bad idea. Apples - good idea. I used to believe in the low carb idea, but the more research I did, the less I found any scientific evidence that it made a lick of difference. Now my average day is 200-300g of carbs, and i'm rarely below 150. Some days easily over 400.

So eat stuff that leaves you feeling good and energized, and that you enjoy. Just no twinkies :)

StupidThyroid

Awards
@ALLLOUT Welcome to these boards, I mostly lurk for now , but there is tons of info out there on this board, moreso than most. I think you'll dig it here if you're serious about changing anything with your physique.

I don't do stims, so I am not really worried about fluctuation of my TSH etc. I have been stable on my dosing for about 8 years now. My numbers are good and I feel fine, why screw that up? I probably have ever missed a few doses in 8yrs on my meds, so i'll be fine ;)

and of course on the water, but what the heck do you mean by cycling water? I think I'll stick to drinking it everyday. haha

StupidThyroid

Awards
Small status update, things are going very well. I have a long journey but I am really impressed with the progress I've made just since Jan 3. 45days essentially, but I see significant changes. The combo of great diet, great workouts and proper supplementation is finally a trio that can make some results for me.

I can't help but look forward to my 6 month and 12 month goals. Hoping I stay injury free and get there. I'm pretty excited.

StupidThyroid

Awards
really the how much carbs you have is mostly a bunch of nonsense. you can lose fat at 400g of carbs a day, depending on how the rest of your diet is structured and your source of carbs. Twinkies - bad idea. Apples - good idea. I used to believe in the low carb idea, but the more research I did, the less I found any scientific evidence that it made a lick of difference. Now my average day is 200-300g of carbs, and i'm rarely below 150. Some days easily over 400.

So eat stuff that leaves you feeling good and energized, and that you enjoy. Just no twinkies :)
I absolutely agree, when and only when you are producing proper ammounts of insulin and are not carb desensitized.

Since I am overweight, I know my spikes are overblown, so I need to limit them.

I am usually using my carb intake for specific goals, usually morning, pre workout/post workout on weights days, and mornings and middays on cardio days.

This seems to be working so far.

StupidThyroid

Awards
I'm not sure why, but I felt like updating this thread since it's been a year and a half since last post. Maybe because I am (rare) a bit bored at work today.

Anyways, here we are 1.5yrs later.

In April of 2011 I decided to go to a ketogenic diet. Life-changer. I had done keto in the past and it worked, not sure why it took me so long to go back.

As of Sept 2012, I have reduced my waist size by 12inches (54 to 42) - I don't weigh myself because I honestly don't care what it is. It's always higher than I'd like to see, and that's just demotivating. As long as my clothes keep getting bigger on me, and my bloodwork is good, I am happy.

So I cheat once a month, that's it. Otherwise I lift heavy 3x a week, cardio 3x week and 1 off day. I have been cycling, what I call cuts and bulks, but honestly it's all more like a recomp. I just try and change things up to give my body a break at times. When I do 3 months of calorie deficits I def see the loss slowing, so a month of 2 of keto but higher calories let's me build some strength and then I go back into calorie deficits.

I've experimented with the following: during the "bulk" months, I've done some TKD with waxy maize pre/post workout, I def feel a strength increase with pre.

Also on cardio days I have experimented with some IF'ing (16hr fasts) - With keto, this is actually very easy an effective. I do this 2-3x a week still.

Keto is the most important factor in my weightloss but I have added supplements just for fun, because I enjoy the research and testing, and I have some extra $ to play with.

ECA- I can't do ECA longer than a month. I believe I do definitely feel some adrenal fatigue, and I end up tired ALL day long. When I drop back to just caffeine, no worries.

Natty test boosters and etc - They work for me, as well as popping in erase. I feel the best on DAA + Erase + anything with forskohliin. For some reason Forskohlii and I get along well. I always can tell when I am on it. I'm on a bulk right now and using anabeta, and my strength is up, and hunger isn't too bad. Still too early to tell what's going to happen though.

Other Fat burners - DMAA is fun at times to stack with caffeine, but I have to be in the mood for it. DCP is amazing stuff, I am loaded up for the next yr. Someone as large as I was, (still kinda am) the research on TTA is just a must, especially for fixing a wonky fatty liver.

Staples - Fish oil, multivitamins, cissus (bad right shoulder) green tea, ala/alcar/coq10, oximega greens, I'm sure I am forgetting stuff.

Other: I lovvvvve Blue Growth, actually the fishoil, multi, greens above are also controlled labs products, great stuff there. Anyways, I don't know if Blue Growth is actually causing a GH response and helping, but the reason I am using it is AMAZING SLEEP. I feel rested every night I take it. I tried some of the others like HGHup and HGHpro and Blue Growth gives me solid sleep ongoing.

Preworkouts: 1 word. Craze. Seriously I have never had better workouts than on Craze. I love agmatine also, and space out my dosing since I get a weird reaction with the 2 together.

Postworkouts: Humapro and Trutein. I love Trutein, it's the only protein I use now, low carbs too so it fits right in. Have you guys tasted cinnabon/banana cream? seriously wow.

and I think that's it? My goal is to hit 36in waist or below by next summer, so I have some time. Since I do have a thyroid condition I lose slow, but I am happy with my progress. Everyone notices and that's kind of fun. I am a huge proponent of a low carb lifestyle and can't really see myself changing away from it. I am too happy eating/living like this.